• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

I could need some help with the
audio puzzle
in the wrecked ship.
I found a post in this thread recommending to record the noises and speed them up. I was able to identify the noises corresponding to the red dots (I think), but I don't know what to do about the others.

Are you able to
draw that line now?

Ambitious

Can you draw a line for the red dots?
That might help you notice what's missing.

I guess I'm also trying to be exactly clear on how much you have figured out at this point without asking spoilerish questions.

Oh, I see.
Yes, I can draw the line. But I haven't figured out anything so far. There's the sound of the water drops, and the loud, booming noise. Obviously, the different colors correspond to different kind of noises. But how does my second, invisible line come into play?

bitoriginal

Okay guys, maybe I'm tired, maybe I'm being stupid, but I cannot for the life of me figure out the rule of the
orange star puzzles in the swamp area.

I'd been feeling pretty proud of myself up until this point as I'd managed to get through without any help. However, could anyone provide a soft hint that will push me in right direction but still allow me to figure it out myself?

Okay guys, maybe I'm tired, maybe I'm being stupid, but I cannot for the life of me figure out the rule of the
orange star puzzles in the swamp area.

I'd been feeling pretty proud of myself up until this point as I'd managed to get through without any help. However, could anyone provide a soft hint that will push me in right direction but still allow me to figure it out myself?

Notice
how many stars they give you.

2, then 4, then 6...

Oh, I see.
Yes, I can draw the line. But I haven't figured out anything so far. There's the sound of the water drops, and the loud, booming noise. Obviously, the different colors correspond to different kind of noises. But how does my second, invisible line come into play?

I consider this the hardest puzzle in the game. Being very careful about how much I give away.

What did you have to do before when there was a second invisible line, and two colors?

Drewsky

I've finished 107 puzzles and I am totally stuck like everywhere on the island. I feel like such an idiot when I come in here and a lot of people have finished the game.

lt519

Oh man I just discovered the post game
plus puzzles, up to +19 already
this is blowing my mind, I can't believe I didn't do these on my first playthrough. I saw some but thought nothing of them at first..how many are there?

I've finished 107 puzzles and I am totally stuck like everywhere on the island. I feel like such an idiot when I come in here and a lot of people have finished the game.

Taking a break is so beneficial when you are feeling stuck. Come back to it after a day of not thinking about it. A clear mind will see new things really quickly.

Grinchy

Banned

Just keep at it, and you will develop your brain into a line-puzzle solving muscle. It just needs a workout to get there.

Drewsky

It's just so damn frustrating when I feel like I understand the rules of a series of puzzles and then I hit one where I can't finish it even though the solution I'm trying seemingly fits all the rules I think I know. I guess that's the game though...

Yrael

I first noticed the
+
puzzles
in the bamboo forest... I found the shape of the moss on the trees curious, even more so when I spotted a semi circle that became a full circle when looked at from the right perspective. I assumed at first that they were that area's gimmick, but then I noticed the sparkles when each were solved headed towards a black column nearby and realized that was actually what the columns were for, so there must be environmental puzzles everywhere. It definitely surprised me. I confirmed that they were "+" puzzles by checking the "Load Game" screen before and after solving one of them.

Peltz

This game is frustrating on so many levels. I'm pretty stuck.

For those of you that have beat it without help, how long did it take you?

More importantly, was it worth it?

Edit:

It's just so damn frustrating when I feel like I understand the rules of a series of puzzles and then I hit one where I can't finish it even though the solution I'm trying seemingly fits all the rules I think I know. I guess that's the game though...

I feel you on that.

Oh man I just discovered the post game
plus puzzles, up to +19 already
this is blowing my mind, I can't believe I didn't do these on my first playthrough. I saw some but thought nothing of them at first..how many are there?

There are

When I got all achievements in Steam, I had 32 hours in-game.

The experience of beating everything without help was fantastic. I have never done that in any other puzzle game before.

I am horrible, read HORRIBLE at this game, my mind just does not allow my mind to think the way the game asks me to...but it is so god damn alluring and so beautiful, it worth the humiliating headache.

Feel like a genius for the first few panels and then HAHA WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD PUZZLE NOW.

Mindfuck,

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm starting the endgame and I have a question.
I'm seeing some locations on the monitors in the junk pile that I haven't seen in the game. Are those places I could go right now and I somehow missed them, or is that part of the post-game content? I have avoided spoiling myself on what the post-game content is other than the word "challenge" so simply answering whether these are areas I have missed or areas I can go later will suffice. I've done all 11 eleven lasers and I thought I'd seen the whole island but maybe there are hidden caves I missed.
Thanks!

~45 hours. Number of puzzles so far:
522 + 130 + 4

It's absolutely worth it!

If you're stuck (like, really stuck) I'd suggest you ignore it for the time being and try to explore other puzzles to learn new rules, or simply to get better at them. You can also just take a break, it can help a lot.

Also, be observant. Look for details. Analyze how things look from another perspective.

I'm starting the endgame and I have a question.
I'm seeing some locations on the monitors in the junk pile that I haven't seen in the game. Are those places I could go right now and I somehow missed them, or is that part of the post-game content? I have avoided spoiling myself on what the post-game content is other than the word "challenge" so simply answering whether these are areas I have missed or areas I can go later will suffice. I've done all 11 eleven lasers and I thought I'd seen the whole island but maybe there are hidden caves I missed.
Thanks!

There is really no "post-game" content, in that there is nothing to do after the ending except reload a save. Your last save will always be before the game ends.

So strictly speaking you can go there before ending the game. Most people only end up finding it after.

Jimrpg

The jungle puzzles suck! Anyone else find them hard?

The fact that Blow put a variety of sounds together to put the player off feels unfairly designed to me. The last one was extra hard and I couldn't be bothered with it and just used a hint.

So far I've used 4 hints over 250 puzzles.. How am I doing so far?

Kaiken

Banned
The jungle puzzles suck! Anyone else find them hard?

The fact that Blow put a variety of sounds together to put the player off feels unfairly designed to me. The last one was extra hard and I couldn't be bothered with it and just used a hint.

So far I've used 4 hints over 250 puzzles.. How am I doing so far?

It's like trying to solve a puzzle while someone is rubbing their hands in your face.

Alright, so I just brute forced a puzzle but I am still curious what the "correct" way was of solving it:

It's in the bird jungle,
the puzzle right after the one with the wolf. I just put in the long beep as high, and then went through all the possibilities for the remaining three until i found the correct combination, which turned out to be low-medium-low. No idea why though, was that how i was meant to visualize the whistling man? Because that was NOT how I would visualize the pitch of that sound.

I just got around to checking this one:
I heard the sound as a different bird call. It starts with a quick "whoOo" trill, is how I would describe it. Just pitches slightly up in the middle very quickly.

lt519

For all trophies it was something like 22 hours for me spread over 4 days, but I didn't do a single thing extra than the trophies, doing all that extra stuff now. I got stuck on a few things for 30+ minutes at a time but I was able to breeze through all the sections that just had a bunch of panels in a row. The last trophy took about an hour and a half. I didn't stop to smell the roses either, it was Point A to B to C.

Just played for another 4 hours tonight and I'm not even a quarter done with all the other stuff. If you like it keep playing, it got a lot better for me because I thought the early game was boring and easy, while the end game got more difficult and diverse. Especially the "post" game stuff.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
It's a great talk though, worth listening to.

I think it would be fun to ask some people who have 'finished' the game ( or quit the game halfway through ) some general questions:

( Your save file name here )

1 ) How / when did you find out about +puzzles and what they were? Did you stumble upon one yourself? Heard about them on here or were hinted towards them on here?

2 ) Did you hear about the challenge before reaching it, and if yes, how much did you know before-hand?

3 ) If you found the challenge frustratingly difficult, what parts specifically were hardest / most frustrating for you and why?

4 ) How many tries did you approximately need to beat the challenge?

5 ) When you activated the desert laser and saw it didn't point to the mountain, did you a ) Follow the laser to see where it went. or b ) Ask the internet why the laser didn't point to the mountain?

6 ) What puzzle mechanic did you have the most trouble with and why?
too lazy to turn on the ps4 now, gotta go to work soon, so no savegame. I think I was at ~510, +60ish last i checked

1. Found the line at the first outlook point after the tutorial. Wasn't really suprised since I think the line was super obvious and actually wondered if the "twist" was supposed to be found that easy. Especially when reaching the mountain and seeing the river thing.

2. Yes, and only that there's a challenge.

3. Labyrinth. Despite knowing what was going on I never ever had enough time, got stuck at figuring out a triangle puzzle (literally took forever for those things, don't know why, the concept is super easy), or got lost since my sense of orientation, even with a map, wasn't existant in there. I was so frustrated.

4.Friday evening to Sunday evening, played all sunday. It should be live in this thread. Apparently all of GAF is geniuses, given how everyone seems to think its super easy and doable on the second try or something (and no, I don't believe you lol)

5. a) obviously. The only time I checked the internet is the double computer pathway puzzle and the challenge.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Count the flowers in the lake that have not bloomed.

Now that I'm on the hunt, turned out I consistently missed the most interesting ones in the game.

fuuuuuck :D I'll have to check this. This game just keeps on giving, I shouldn't have gotten Firewatch so early lol.

Niros

Neo Member
The game used to run on my laptop but all of the sudden stopped doing so. As soon as I launch the game from steam I get a small error window that says:
Unable to set up display device.

I tried to read read online and on the steam discussion board about the error but I couldn't find a solution. I have check the integrity of the local files but it didn't help. Has anyone here come across this problem?

hesido

This game makes you feel like an idiot and a genius within seconds.

I just try to change my paradigm, if things are not working; if I get stuck for longer than necessary, I try to stay away from variations of solutions that do not work and try a vastly different approach. Sometimes the solution comes to me when I'm not even playing the game. The game certainly leaves a mark on you.

That said, I'm now over
puzzles solved and really struggling, and going really, really slow. I especially suck at puzzles that require environmental clues. I solved two of them by brute forcing and I feel really bad about it, and since I brute forced them, I'm probably unable to solve the one in the garden
maze tower.

I'm still refraining from getting any help, but I'm probably just postponing the inevitable. I'm certainly not the brightest bulb when it comes to puzzles.

bosseye

Bought this on PS4 last night, absolutely love it.

Some thoughts:

1) It looks gorgeous. Love the art style, its so clean and solid and attractive.
2) It runs brilliantly, seems solid 60fps to me. Lovely and smooth
3) Its very intriguing, I have so many questions!
What are the buzzing black towers! What does turning on the windmill do! What is the curious noise in the bamboo grove! Whats with all the people statues everywhere!
Can't wait to find out.
4) The puzzles are nicely pitched so far, lots of 'AHA!' moments when you figure something out.
5) Its actually very restful. The island is a lovely place for virtual tourism.
6) I like the fact that you;re just left to figure things out. To explore and find your own way.

In addition to point 4 though, I've completed 90 puzzles now I think, and finally had to resort to a guide for one of them. In my (weak) defence, I don't think the rules for this particular puzzle were particularly well explained, so I spent an hour or so pushing entirely the wrong solution. If you're interested: In the greenhouse
lab, the panels that teach you the rule to separate same colours with a dividing line, the second from last puzzle before the panels in the coloured rooms open - the previous panels have taught me that the colours must be subdivided by lines so that alike colours are in their own segment, so thats what I was trying to do - this puzzle however wanted me to split same colours off into their own segment.
So rather than a single segment housing two blues, I had to have two segments each with a blue in it.

I don't think that rule was well explained, so I don't feel too bad about resorting to a guide. The next section using the
coloured glass to change the colours on the panels I figured out eventually.
That did teach me to start thinking more about the environment though, its very easy to just focus on the line puzzle when perhaps there are clues around you.

But yeah, awesome game so far, happy with the £30 it cost. Its got under my skin, can't wait to play more.

Did the
challenge
first attempt tonight, awesome.

Now for the final cleanup.

On your first attempt tonight, or your first attempt, tonight?

I assume it's the former but I was curious, haha.

...this puzzle however wanted me to split same colours off into their own segment. So rather than a single segment housing two blues, I had to have two segments each with a blue in it.

Are you sure?

Gosh, about the "Endgame" achievement ending:

Am I the only one who found this completely genius? It is the only time the game takes control away from the player whatsoever. I followed this up with playing Firewatch and that game regularly has you lose control, but the Witness never does this aside from the elevator ride. It felt incredibly jarring and made the reset state of the island all the more impactful for me. I was honestly shocked.

At the same time, one of my most prevailing thoughts toward the end of the game was "geez, I really should just play this over from the start again and see how much I've actually learned". Lo and behold, the game was thinking the same thing! Fucking masterful game design. I love this game.

mclem

Sixteen or so hours to get to an ending, and I've spent a further five or so hours pottering around the island doing Other Stuff, so a little over 20 hours to get a platinum. There's still a lot more Other Stuff to go, and quite a lot of that time wasn't directly heading towards the ending/platinum.

Oh god yes.

mclem

In addition to point 4 though, I've completed 90 puzzles now I think, and finally had to resort to a guide for one of them. In my (weak) defence, I don't think the rules for this particular puzzle were particularly well explained, so I spent an hour or so pushing entirely the wrong solution. If you're interested: In the greenhouse
lab, the panels that teach you the rule to separate same colours with a dividing line, the second from last puzzle before the panels in the coloured rooms open - the previous panels have taught me that the colours must be subdivided by lines so that alike colours are in their own segment, so thats what I was trying to do - this puzzle however wanted me to split same colours off into their own segment. So rather than a single segment housing two blues, I had to have two segments each with a blue in it.

I don't think that rule was well explained, so I don't feel too bad about resorting to a guide.

I would argue that that puzzle itself was the explanation you were after. It's clearly impossible based on an assumption you've made, so you must challenge that assumption.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm still struggling with
the challenge. I'm looking at hours of attempts now. I made it to the pillars once with a lot of time left, but I got a really hard dot puzzle there and wasted the entire mountain king segment on it. I was crushed afterwards, made such good time before that. I arrived in the pillar room when mountain king began :(. I always took my time with this game, and I can't adjust well to being on a timer now. I can't even imagine doing some of the triangle puzzles without using the rest trick.

It's brutal, having such a hard time with it

Maybe download a slitherlink app and have a play around with that for a while. There's a lot of tricks you can use solving them that can be applied in this game.

It certainly helped me knowing how certain numbers behaved when adjacent/diagonally across, etc, and knowing what patterns to look for.

mclem

Maybe download a slitherlink app and have a play around with that for a while. There's a lot of tricks you can use solving them that can be applied in this game.

It certainly helped me knowing how certain numbers behaved when adjacent/diagonally across, etc, and knowing what patterns to look for.

I did actually make a comment along these lines earlier in the thread, about how that's the case but there's an associated irritation.

I think, after playing it for a fair few hours, there is a criticism that comes to mind - but I'm not entirely sure it's something that necessarily ought to be fixed.

When I solve a Slitherlink puzzle (as an example of a similar sort of puzzle), I'm working on the entire grid at once and piecing together information as I go; there must be a line between these two squares, you know there won't be a line here because that'll block off this area - and so, through reiterating the rules, I'll have a patchwork of information that leads to more information and - ultimately - the solution.

There's some puzzle types in TW that could be approached in a similar way. One of the first puzzle types introduced, the
White/Black splits
, for instance; they lend themselves towards forming a patchwork of information that you know is true and allowing you to deduce how the rest of the line works from that. Which is all well and good - except the interface doesn't really give you any tools to work like that. There's no scope for marking arbitrary lines that you know are correct; instead, you always have to work in terms of drawing a line from the start to the finish, which is not as useful a tool for solving the puzzle. Hence, in turn, requiring a shift to paper if you're going to solve a puzzle that way, when the tools to do so could be supplied in the game.

In short: The interface with the game is just a tool to input answers, not a tool to aid solving the puzzles.

That's the argument for. Now the argument against:

There's an elegance to the interface. It's simple, and it's consistent. You don't need much instruction on how to use it - that's basically covered by that very first corridor area - and when you know how to use it, you can use it everywhere you need to without any extra tutorials or explanations.

I think the latter trumps the former, in the end. It's no great hassle shifting to paper - but then, I'm the sort of person who keeps grid paper and note paper to hand (I don't think I've used it since Fez!), and the advantages of the elegance of the interface are pretty huge.

I think that's why a lot of the puzzles are really rather small, because at that scale it's not unreasonable to expect the player to keep sufficient info in their head.

Major spoiler (best not to read before postgame), a bit about my mindset when I wrote that:
I already knew about the environmental puzzles when I wrote that (but, at the time, I had seen triangle puzzles but hadn't realised they were fundamentally Slitherlink, hence the small edit to the start of the quote), and that was largely the impetus for the 'argument against' - the fact that pattern-recognition and the consistency of the interface would aid the player towards spotting those. Trouble is, I was trying to present that argument without acknowledging the existence of the puzzles for those who didn't know about them! I think I did reasonably well.

bosseye

I would argue that that puzzle itself was the explanation you were after. It's clearly impossible based on an assumption you've made, so you must challenge that assumption.

This is very true actually. I got into a mindset that I was doing it right, even though after an hour I genuinely started to think it must be impossible - but I was so dogged that this is what the previous panels had been teaching me I didn't try another solution and just persevered, assuming it was just me not seeing the solution. And I wasn't, just not in the way I thought!

That one room taught me a lot about the game actually, to look more carefully at the environment around me for clues and for solutions. Its also, as you say, taught me to challenge my assumptions.

Awesome game.

Drewsky

Changing your paradigm and challenging your assumptions seems a lot like guessing in practice though, something that a lot of the praise for this game says has no place in TW. If you've learned the rules of a puzzle type and then suddenly those rules don't work, what is there to do but guess around until you get it? That's what's frustrating to me.

I like the game, please don't take this as trying to troll the thread. That's just the thought I've had in my frustration.

mclem

Changing your paradigm and challenging your assumptions seems a lot like guessing in practice though, something that a lot of the praise for this game says has no place in TW. If you've learned the rules of a puzzle type and then suddenly those rules don't work, what is there to do but guess around until you get it? That's what's frustrating to me.

You do know, at that point, that the rules you had thought were sufficient up until now. That in itself is important information.The rules never unexpectedly change, but your understanding of them evolves, and you can refine them towards the goal.

I think you need to approach the game with a mindset of scientific enquiry. What you're terming guesswork - which, to be fair, isn't an unreasonable statement - I would instead call "experimentation"; you should be approaching it with a sense of ordered testing of hypotheses, not through arbitrary guesswork trying to spot anything that might stick. When a rule is tested in a way that doesn't fit what you know, the player - the scientist - needs to experiment with what's available to try to rearrange their previous hypothesis into something that fits with the new information.

Out of interest, are there any 'new wrinkle' panels that also have that 'go back and solve the previous panel if you get it wrong' attribute set? I can't think of any, I think that's only true after a rule is established and it's being tested with escalating difficulty.

I would, perhaps, tie this in a little to the overall theme. I'm going to put this in spoiler tags, but that's only really in the context that I'm talking about grand thematic points that resonated to me. Whether they're intended... that's for Blow to decide, but I like them enough that I'm gonna run with 'em!
The title of the game is "The Witness". You are - implicitly - an observer, piecing together information about the underlying mechanics of the world from the most basic of principles (Draw a line to activate a thing) through extra complexities (Draw a line that fits these defined rules to activate a thing) to the very grandest of implications; the same as about how a scientific theory evolves from the most basic of principles (Objects fall towards the ground) through extra complexities (Objects fall towards massive objects) to the grandest of implications (Spacetime is curved)

I would be intrigued to see if players with a science background find the game - or at least the thought processes the game demands - a bit easier than players without.

Changing your paradigm and challenging your assumptions seems a lot like guessing in practice though, something that a lot of the praise for this game says has no place in TW. If you've learned the rules of a puzzle type and then suddenly those rules don't work, what is there to do but guess around until you get it?

Go back to a previously solved, simpler puzzle, and test your assumptions.

Top Bottom