• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Ambitious

My puzzle count:
520+135+6. There are 667 in total, right? I have no idea where to find the remaining 12. One is in the ship. Another one might guard the final cinema code (#4), but I kinda feel like it's the one in the ship. But the other 11? No idea.

I consider this the hardest puzzle in the game. Being very careful about how much I give away.

What did you have to do before when there was a second invisible line, and two colors?

Well,
each line has to cover one set of colors. In this case, one of the lines presumably has to cover two sets of colors. Though maybe this is a red herring and one of the colors actually has to be ignored? Hm. That would be a first.

My puzzle count:
520+135+6. There are 667 in total, right? I have no idea where to find the remaining 12. One is in the ship. Another one might guard the final cinema code (#4), but I kinda feel like it's the one in the ship. But the other 11? No idea.

Well,
each line has to cover one set of colors. In this case, one of the lines presumably has to cover two sets of colors. Though maybe this is a red herring and one of the colors actually has to be ignored? Hm. That would be a first.

Edit: Accidentally hit post.

xinek

I would be intrigued to see if players with a science background find the game - or at least the thought processes the game demands - a bit easier than players without.
Applied computer science here, but it's said that any discipline that contains the word "science" in its name isn't actually science. Anyway, 310 or so puzzles solved here so far. Whether it's been easier for me than someone with no science-y background is impossible to say, since I've never been that person.

I can say, however, that it hasn't been "easy" at all. It's just human nature to do pattern finding, come up with a hypothesis, and then try to find evidence to support it. And to justify why all the work we did to form the hypothesis was worth it and avoid more effort to update the hypothesis. The desire to find the larger patterns is a big motivator for me -- what the hell happened on the island? Why are the puzzles here? Is there some big picture? I have no idea what it might be so far, and the process of investigation is really enjoyable.

Starting to worry, though -- I feel like I've solved so many puzzles and am nearing the end of the explorable area, but yet there are SO MANY more to go according to the information I've seen about the total number of puzzles. Where the hell are they all?! Another mystery.

My puzzle count:

Well,

No one has found more than
523 +135 +6. Either there are really 664 (counting the obelisks), or the last few are extremely well-hidden.

I'll say this much,
black hexagons follow the same rules they always did.

Drewsky

Thanks for the very good post mclem. I think I was thinking of it that way for the most part, I just let myself get frustrated to the point of quitting. It may just not be for me, but I'll keep at it for a while more.

In addition to point 4 though, I've completed 90 puzzles now I think, and finally had to resort to a guide for one of them. In my (weak) defence, I don't think the rules for this particular puzzle were particularly well explained, so I spent an hour or so pushing entirely the wrong solution. If you're interested: In the greenhouse
lab, the panels that teach you the rule to separate same colours with a dividing line, the second from last puzzle before the panels in the coloured rooms open - the previous panels have taught me that the colours must be subdivided by lines so that alike colours are in their own segment, so thats what I was trying to do - this puzzle however wanted me to split same colours off into their own segment. So rather than a single segment housing two blues, I had to have two segments each with a blue in it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but
didn't you have to do that (with black and white) just to get into the building in the first place? The entrance door to the building
is actually where I learned that rule.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Post-challenge question;
If I do the environmental puzzle to open the credits door, can I undo it afterwards to continue being able to go to the rest of the island?

Afro

Just saw the
sharks
!

ZUsMmP4.jpg

Kalor

Post-challenge question;
If I do the environmental puzzle to open the credits door, can I undo it afterwards to continue being able to go to the rest of the island?

You can just load your last save, which should be before you activate the credits door.

mclem

So you cannot access the island with all pillars activated?

I believe the state of that one is 'remembered'. I assume the autosave triggered at that point registers that it's been found but saves just before the effects occur.

daxy

I'm only two panels away from completion,
i.e. I have 521
. I checked the
elevators in the underground area, but I've got all those and ran around the island trying to find missing triangle panels; I've also found all of those. I checked the yellow area of the marsh and that's done too. I did the optional door panel behind the theater. I completed the final challenge. Also did the extra doors behind the temple. Did all the optional stuff in the beginning area.
So if anyone's got ideas of where else I could look that'd be great!

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I'm only two panels away from completion,
i.e. I have 521
. I checked the
elevators in the underground area, but I've got all those and ran around the island trying to find missing triangle panels; I've also found all of those. I checked the yellow area of the marsh and that's done too. I did the optional door panel behind the theater. I completed the final challenge. Also did the extra doors behind the temple. Did all the optional stuff in the beginning area.
So if anyone's got ideas of where else I could look that'd be great!
Have you summoned the boat in every location?

Ambitious

I assume The Talos Principle has already been recommended dozens of times in this thread? Let me join the chorus of praise. If you like The Witness, chances are you're gonna like TTP too.

Just like TW, it's a puzzle game set in a beautiful, explorable 3D world. The main differences are
1) You have to learn how to use certain tools, not rules.
2) Each puzzle is a small, isolated area, in which you have to physically move around and make use of the available tools in order to reach the goal. Timing is often important.

It starts off rather trivial, but later in the game it gets seriously tricky. It's great.
Currently 75% off on Steam ($10). Make sure to play the DLC too, it's absolutely worth it.

01674uxp.png

3-1024_1047uxumlekz7g.jpg

Another game I'd like to recommend is Antichamber. Again, it's a first-person puzzler, but that's where the similarities end. It's set in an abstract, non-euclidean world, which basically means that your understanding of three-dimensional worlds does not apply here. Take one step forward, one to the right, one step backward, and one to the left. You're in the same place you're started, right? Not necessarily in Antichamber. It's one of those kind of games that make you utter "holy shit" and "what the fuck" all the time. In a good way.

The game is one big, complex, interconnected maze, and the goal is to find the exit. Some of the rooms and puzzles are just mindblowing. Like, literally.
Currently 80% off on Steam ($4!).

antichamber017cuzo3orri.jpg

maxresdefaultz2ulk5epgp.jpg

Peltz

I really wasn't feeling Antichamber much when I tried it. I'll give it another shot though.

I also highly recommend Portal 1 and 2 of you like these types of games. The Portal games are fantastic.

MrCow

thats it for me, i quit ..

i cant get behind those Tetris puzzles in the swamp .. i had to look it up and the solutions in the red area above the stairs are just not my logic at all, even with the solutions i still try to solve the next panel with my different mind set i cant get my brain to change the way i think about these puzzles. really frustrating

how did anyone Figure this out? you can have to rearrnge the shapes, oh really nice , but ive tried this a few times already but my solutions didnt work even though they should have. a one way solution to a puzzle with more solutions is just Bad puzzle design or im really just to stupid to realise my mistakes

Portal is a first-person puzzle game but I don't really think it's in the same vein as The Witness - there's more to The Witness than just being a first-person game with puzzles in.

I mean, people would obviously like it if they somehow haven't played it yet, but I don't think it's because they liked The Witness, just because Portal is good.

thats it for me, i quit ..

i cant get behind those Tetris puzzles in the swamp .. i had to look it up and the solutions in the red area above the stairs are just not my logic at all, even with the solutions i still try to solve the next panel with my different mind set i cant get my brain to change the way i think about these puzzles. really frustrating

how did anyone Figure this out? you can have to rearrnge the shapes, oh really nice , but ive tried this a few times already but my solutions didnt work even though they should have. a one way solution to a puzzle with more solutions is just Bad puzzle design or im really just to stupid to realise my mistakes

I love these puzzles, they're my favourite ones in the game. If your solution didn't work, by the way, it's because it was wrong. All valid solutions will work, there's no specific right answer you have to find. If you wanna post a screenshot we can help show where you went wrong?

ultron87

I swear John Blow took some inspiration from Alcazar. I solved the puzzle on
the beach behind the sun temple
using very similar methods to those I use for solving an Alcazar puzzle.

Which then leads to: There really really should be a mobile app for The Witness puzzles. No environmental clues, just the pure puzzles. There's such a rich toolset; it'd be great to see what could be done with it.

When this came out, J Blow praised it quite a lot. It's actually what led me to try it out, haha. If you go to the game's website, there's a quote by him:

Just wanted to thank you both for discussing Alcazar. I've been playing that over the last few days and it scratches a similar itch to the Witness while I'm on the go. :D

Was the
ship-wreck
puzzle the puzzle only 1% would be able to complete, according to Blow?

We don't know. Chances are good it has not been found, although a few days after release he said this...

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/693218322557456384
A small number of people have 100%ed the game already, which is crazy since it came out Tuesday... they must have been spending most waking hours all week playing the game. I am glad you are enjoying it!

Followed by..

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/693243712634138624
Who is to say really what 100%ing is? By design there are subtler and subtler things...

Sooo.. maybe, maybe not. My guess was he was referring to 100% as getting all the trophies. Could just as well be there is nothing major left.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Was the
ship-wreck
puzzle the puzzle only 1% would be able to complete, according to Blow?

My guess would be the
boat environmental puzzle or the one where you have to listen to the movie for 58 minutes to finish the environmental puzzle behind the cinema

KarmaCow

My guess would be the
boat environmental puzzle or the one where you have to listen to the movie for 58 minutes to finish the environmental puzzle behind the cinema

Just so you know, you can scrub through the videos in bunker through the associated puzzle to the left of where you first input it.

BraXzy

Can someone drop me a subtle hint for the wooden door blocking the shortcut between Jungle and the Temple? I feel completely clueless, the blue door is open however.

Can someone spoil me on the
shipwreck puzzle
that apparently only 1% of people will find (i guarantee you im not one of those 1%) and what do i have to pay attention to to get one of those
double +'s
that the cool kids have on their saves?

Can someone spoil me on the
shipwreck puzzle
that apparently only 1% of people will find (i guarantee you im not one of those 1%) and what do i have to pay attention to to get one of those
double +'s
that the cool kids have on their saves?

First thing:
It combines the mechanics of symmetry and the jungle.

Second thing:
If you have single +s, keep getting them and eventually you will get double +s. If you don't have single +s, then... try coming down the mountain from the treehouse/marsh side of the river. And keep looking up as you go.

I assume The Talos Principle has already been recommended dozens of times in this thread? Let me join the chorus of praise. If you like The Witness, chances are you're gonna like TTP too.

Just like TW, it's a puzzle game set in a beautiful, explorable 3D world. The main differences are
2) Each puzzle is a small, isolated area, in which you have to physically move around and make use of the available tools in order to reach the goal. Timing is often important.

It starts off rather trivial, but later in the game it gets seriously tricky. It's great.
Currently 75% off on Steam ($10). Make sure to play the DLC too, it's absolutely worth it.

01674uxp.png

Another game I'd like to recommend is Antichamber. Again, it's a first-person puzzler, but that's where the similarities end. It's set in an abstract, non-euclidean world, which basically means that your understanding of three-dimensional worlds does not apply here. Take one step forward, one to the right, one step backward, and one to the left. You're in the same place you're started, right? Not necessarily in Antichamber. It's one of those kind of games that make you utter "holy shit" and "what the fuck" all the time. In a good way.

The game is one big, complex, interconnected maze, and the goal is to find the exit. Some of the rooms and puzzles are just mindblowing. Like, literally.

I so wanna buy it but it's $50 en PSN... missed the sale in december when it was $20... can't forgive myself for that yet. Only have $29 on my account right now and I really shouldn't spend more money than that this month.

Obviously I don't have a gaming PC.

First thing:
It combines the mechanics of symmetry and the jungle.

Second thing:
If you have single +s, keep getting them and eventually you will get double +s. If you don't have single +s, then... try coming down the mountain from the treehouse/marsh side of the river. And keep looking up as you go.

First thing:
holy shit i cant even imagine how that puzzle would go o_O

Second thing:
yeah i got a bunch of single +'s, guess i'll keep finding them

Also can you give me a hint (can be a big one)
to the floor puzzle at the end? The one where there's two paths you gotta make with pannels on both sides. I cant see any way that i can finish the first one without locking the second one out of any movement.

Yrael

01674uxp.png

The Talos Principle is going to be my next puzzle game - it's already installed on my PS4.

I was loving this game, and then I unlocked the mountain and explored a little inside and for some reason my interest in the game just plummeted then and there. Idk why. Maybe I was seceretly hoping for a little more narrative in that moment than
more and harder puzzles
. Still a very good game, and the puzzles, world design, and art are all excellent, but I think I needed something a little more to carry me through to finish it up. Dunno if I will at this point.

Can someone please help me. I'm not just stuck on a hard puzzle but I think I literally got myself trapped with no way out by seemingly lowering a lift I was standing on in the marsh area with no way to get back up.

Can someone please help me. I'm not just stuck on a hard puzzle but I think I literally got myself trapped with no way out by seemingly lowering a lift I was standing on in the marsh area with no way to get back up.

Just use the panel again and lower a different section. There's also a panel on the other side of you can't access that one. You can't get stuck there.

*Endgame Spoilers*

Also can you give me a hint (can be a big one)
to the floor puzzle at the end? The one where there's two paths you gotta make with pannels on both sides. I cant see any way that i can finish the first one without locking the second one out of any movement.

Nevermind, i got it.
And now the bottom floor puzzle seems even more impossible D:

I was loving this game, and then I unlocked the mountain and explored a little inside and for some reason my interest in the game just plummeted then and there. Idk why. Maybe I was seceretly hoping for a little more narrative in that moment than
more and harder puzzles
. Still a very good game, and the puzzles, world design, and art are all excellent, but I think I needed something a little more to carry me through to finish it up. Dunno if I will at this point.

There is
something more to find if you go for greater completion.

01674uxp.png

This is a good post.

The Swapper, Escape Goat 1/2, Thomas Was Alone, Hexcells and Snakebird are also solid recommendations if you like puzzles.

And if you'd like a short puzzle adventure with a twist; Pony Island.

Top Bottom