• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Yeah The Swapper is a truly excellent game. It's got great mechanics, challenging puzzles where the solutions become apparent right when you are about to get frustrated, and some good story and world stuff. It's kind of a perfect package.

I should really try The Talos Principle again.

mf.luder

Can someone please help me. I'm not just stuck on a hard puzzle but I think I literally got myself trapped with no way out by seemingly lowering a lift I was standing on in the marsh area with no way to get back up.

Hint:
You'll realize that that puzzle is actually a birds eye view of what you're standing on.

GhaleonEB

I'm looking for a little guidance on two panels that are thwarting me. Basically just want to check if I have the right concept in my head, or if I'm going in the wrong direction.

This is one of a series of tetris panels in a row, in town:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ca_QVaMUYAAPXU5.jpg

I think
I need to form a sideways T or L shape, with one going over and the other going down. I can't for the life of me figure out how to path that, but is that at least the right idea?

The other one is a color dot pairing puzzle in the greenhouse. I've figured out that I need to
look through the colored glass to show the real colors of the squares - there are three colors, not the 4-5 if you just look at the panel. Do I need to solve it using those three colors that I can see through the glass? Again, I'm stuck at trying, but I want to make sure I at least have the right idea. This is in the ground floor, the first panel once you open up the second room in the greenhouse.

I figured out what the area under the lighthouse was for.
Played two videos tonight. I've found a 3rd map somewhere but now need to remember where it was. :lol
Interesting stuff.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking for a little guidance on two panels that are thwarting me. Basically just want to check if I have the right concept in my head, or if I'm going in the wrong direction.

I think
I need to form a sideways T or L shape, with one going over and the other going down. I can't for the life of me figure out how to path that, but is that at least the right idea?

The other one is a color dot pairing puzzle in the greenhouse. I've figured out that I need to
look through the colored glass to show the real colors of the squares - there are three colors, not the 4-5 if you just look at the panel. Do I need to solve it using those three colors that I can see through the glass? Again, I'm stuck at trying, but I want to make sure I at least have the right idea. This is in the ground floor, the first panel once you open up the second room in the greenhouse.

Played two videos tonight. I've found a 3rd map somewhere but now need to remember where it was. :lol
Interesting stuff.

For the Tetris, you've got the right idea. I believe you have the right idea for the other, but I don't remember that one as clearly.

GhaleonEB

For the Tetris, you've got the right idea. I believe you have the right idea for the other, but I don't remember that one as clearly.

Thanks. I can't wrap my head around how that would work since
forming the sideways part seals off your ability to go up, and you can't weave up and down to fill in the lower area first.
I'll have to sleep on it That often helps.

hesido

Yes, you've got the right idea. It took a lot of time for me to realize this! I must have come back to it 2-3 times to fully deduce that it is
impossible
on the
clear view
of the panel. That's when I realized I need to change my way of
looking at it.
Solution spoiler:
You may need to change the way you are looking at a panel for different panels.

You'll really go wow when you realize what the game expects you to do on the elevator part, though. That's where I'm at, need to get some paper and maybe
some colored pencils
, lol :)

Disclaimer: Spoilers, if not otherwise noted, do not spoil the solutions for GhaleonEB.

I still would have preferred this as a general discussion thread though, the helpline thread didn't take off. (People have spoken. :) )

You'll really go wow when you realize what the game expects you to do on the elevator part, though. That's where I'm at, need to get some paper and maybe
some colored pencils

I'm not sure
coloured pencils
will help you. That puzzle relies on
mixing colours of light, not just colours, and I think the results vary between the two

hesido

I'm not sure
coloured pencils
will help you. That puzzle relies on
mixing colours of light, not just colours, and I think the results vary between the two

As I thought,
colored pencils would be just to have a diagram for what colour becomes what colour under certain lighting. Light is additive and indeed it acts differently than colouring over each other
I hope I'm on the right track?
I think you need to approach the game with a mindset of scientific enquiry. What you're terming guesswork - which, to be fair, isn't an unreasonable statement - I would instead call "experimentation"; you should be approaching it with a sense of ordered testing of hypotheses, not through arbitrary guesswork trying to spot anything that might stick. When a rule is tested in a way that doesn't fit what you know, the player - the scientist - needs to experiment with what's available to try to rearrange their previous hypothesis into something that fits with the new information.

This is pretty much what I do. On the "teaching" panels, I try not only the solution, but what also doesn't work, along with what also would work. That lays out a nice set of rules, better than rushing in and lining out the obvious.

mclem

forming the sideways part seals off your ability to go up, and you can't weave up and down to fill in the lower area first.

From reading this, I have an observation. I'm going to spoiler it, but it's not exactly a hint:

I think I know what you're attempting, and I think you're ideally poised to get a flash of inspiration

Finished the game. I really enjoyed it but the lack of making me care about the world and some of the pretentiousness didn't really make me love it as much as I did Fez where not only the puzzles had purpose on the world but the character and the world itself were all tied into one great package with a stunning soundtrack to boot.

Still, it's worth every dollar for people who enjoy puzzle games.

GeeTeeCee

I think

Interesting stuff.

Heh, I'm stuck on the exact same puzzle in the
town
, and have also hit a dead end in with an early-ish puzzle in the
greenhouse
. It's been days for the first, and nearly a full week for the second.

About a switch in the treehouse area, the one that
opens a door on another treehouse for a brief period of time
Is there some trick to being be able to get to the door before it closes? I've tried several times and have never even come close to it. I'd been hoping that finishing everything else in that area would make it stay open longer or something, but no.

Is there some trick to being be able to get to the door before it closes? I've tried several times and have never even come close to it. I'd been hoping that finishing everything else in that area would make it stay open longer or something, but no.

There's a shortcut...

mclem

Hints, designed to be revealed one at a time, and encompassing my train of thought. The last few are quite explicit:

You have probably noticed at this point that
the route you have to travel from the switch to the bridge to the door is ridiculously windy and complicated.

Almost like
that route is designed to make you take a long time - too long - to get there

So maybe
there's another, more direct route, that's more trivially achievable?

You can
see the doorway quite clearly from the button. It's very sparse - there's no reasonable way there's another path leading into the front of it.

So if
you need a more direct path, and there doesn't seem to be one built into the world... what can you do?

How have you been
making paths when none exist in the world
throughout this area?

Have you noticed
anything interesting about the panel-bridges
?

Did any
surprise you by suddenly doing something unexpected as you built them? If so, can you work out why?

If not:
The panels that make up the bridge mostly fit a regular pattern. Some have a small, but significant difference. Find those, explore that

Doopliss

I think

Don't be intimidated by this puzzle. There are only
8 valid arrangements for the shapes to fit
, and it sounds like you've already ruled out
the 4 where the shapes don't connect
. If you examine the other possibilities it should be clear fairly quickly which are impossible to
outline while collecting every hexagon

massive spoilers ahead

please don't read unless you've seen absolutely everything in the game. You've been warned

ok so i have just seen a video of the entrance to the hotel and then the piss bottle. What i want to know is can you go back and see that area if you've already opened that opening gate??

Bowlie

Banned
massive spoilers ahead

please don't read unless you've seen absolutely everything in the game. You've been warned

ok so i have just seen a video of the entrance to the hotel and then the piss bottle. What i want to know is can you go back and see that area if you've already opened that opening gate??

Yes, there is a way. You should know how if you saw everything.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This is one of those puzzles that I thought was literally impossible and I looked it up and the answer was nothing special. I was mad at myself.

My tip is
to pick the shape you want to trace and then approach it from every possible angle. I had become fixated with trying to trace it a particular way to no avail.

mclem

I hate this
symmetry pillars
puzzles in
certain challenge room
Can you help me with this one?

https://video-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=7c3a87d171f0632e16258f47c9c08b89&oe=56BE080B

At a glance, this one looks fairly easy, there's a nice cluster of dots at the top that only have one way a line can travel through it.
It's worth bearing in mind when you're working on reflection puzzles that any place where you know a line must be, you also know the reflected line must exist

That said, I haven't actually tried to solve it, so it might be a bit tougher than that glance suggested!

mclem

is it cast as a shadow or something like that? I have been googling for a while now with no clear answer to where the locking puzzle solution is

It sounds like you haven't found it, because if you'd found it you'd know you had.

I can't answer this any further without a breakdown of what you've done and where you've been.

My guess would be the
boat environmental puzzle or the one where you have to listen to the movie for 58 minutes to finish the environmental puzzle behind the cinema

So, wait, how does the cinema one you're mentioning work? I already watched that movie and figured there was probably some kind of puzzle associated with it, but if I have to pull off something stupid to make it work I'm really not interested in the trial and error.

JesseZao

So, wait, how does the cinema one you're mentioning work? I already watched that movie and figured there was probably some kind of puzzle associated with it, but if I have to pull off something stupid to make it work I'm really not interested in the trial and error.

The wall behind the screen is open.

What?! You came back to the game? I thought we both had quit.
I only came in to say bravo to anyone who has the patience and brains to complete most to all the puzzles on their own. Good lord I was watching some walkthroughs and I just could not for the life of me figure out some of the rules. If they were explained verbally then I
probably would have got much further.

The wall behind the screen is open.

I know this already, having already solved the puzzle at the end of the third video (Tartovsky's Nostalghia). I'm just wondering how it works for the fifth video. We're talking about the fifth video, correct? The one from the ship, with the guy talking about your consciousness in the present being the only thing that exists? People are talking as if it's not really as easy as skipping to a particular segment once you know the trick that needs to be done (the video is really long and so it's hard to trace the timestamp using the interface, so I believe this), so I'd appreciate not having to waste a lot of time going through the whole video again.

I know this already, having already solved the puzzle at the end of the third video (Tartovsky's Nostalghia). I'm just wondering how it works for the fifth video. We're talking about the fifth video, correct? The one from the ship, with the guy talking about your consciousness in the present being the only thing that exists? People are talking as if it's not really as easy as skipping to a particular segment (the video is really long and so it's hard to trace the timestamp using the interface, so I believe this).

That is not the video they are talking about. Possible you haven't unlocked it yet. You have to complete (post end game spoiler:)
the challenge

That is not the video they are talking about. Possible you haven't unlocked it yet. You have to complete (post end game spoiler:)
the challenge

Ah, in that case I haven't found this one yet. Cheers. I wasn't too keen on trying to get through that one again, but maybe I will for this other one.

GhaleonEB

What?! You came back to the game? I thought we both had quit.

I did! For all of like, two days.
I even deleted my save file. I started over.

For as much as the game stumped me, I couldn't stop thinking about. So in the end I decided I might not be able to solve everything - and that's okay. So I'm just kind of ping ponging around the map seeing what I can do. I don't solve more than a small handful of puzzles each day, but I'm advancing. Pretty sure I solved <40 puzzles all week. But every one is a victory.

I opened a door on the desert beach the other night. That one panel was all I got done in entire evening, but solving it was a pretty great feeling. It was like clearing a raid.

Crispy75

I opened a door on the desert beach the other night. That one panel was all I got done in entire evening, but solving it was a pretty great feeling. It was like clearing a raid.

I spent a whole evening on that one too. Mostly in paint.net scribbling over a screenshot :D

Henkka

Banned
So the coloured light puzzle in the town
does nothing when solved? Dang. Not sure what I expected but man, the game could sometimes at least pat you on the back
:p

roytheone

This game is some kind of psychological experiment to see if they can get me to hate (endgame spoilers)
in the hall of the mountain king
, isn't it?

So the coloured light puzzle in the town
does nothing when solved? Dang. Not sure what I expected but man, the game could sometimes at least pat you on the back
:p

No, but if you go out and check the flowers on the wall on the side of the openings, you might see some stuff.

gsgseg4fs5f.jpg

WHAT DOES IT MEAN

GhaleonEB

Please don't embed endgame puzzle spoilers and solutions. I turned that image into a link. I had no idea that kind of puzzle was coming up. :\

I spent a whole evening on that one too. Mostly in paint.net scribbling over a screenshot :D

Hah, I worked it on graph paper. I realized pretty quickly
that I needed to "erase" the object on the left by grouping it with the hollow objects, and that meant I had to trace the other one out. So once I knew how I had to finish (tracing the vertical piece), I worked backward to find a way to group the others.
Still took me forever.

KevinCow

Banned
So what are these + puzzles everyone's been talking about? I apparently didn't find a single one. I did find some random grey puzzles with triangles on them though that didn't seem to have anything to do with anything.

Bowlie

Banned
So what are these + puzzles everyone's been talking about? I apparently didn't find a single one. I did find some random grey puzzles with triangles on them though that didn't seem to have anything to do with anything.

hint:
It has something to do with the black pillars.

I don't wanna spoil because it's one of the coolest things in the game when you find your first one.

KarmaCow

If you want a hint, try
going to the top of the mountain and redo that simple line puzzle overlooking the island.

Or more explicitly,
notice that you can use the pointer/2D mode outside of the panels.

GhaleonEB

Very general hint:

Did you ever stop to wonder why you can to into puzzle solving mode - pulling the cursor out - when not facing a panel? Look at your surroundings carefully.

Top Bottom