• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Ok I don't think I get the rules of tetris.

I've done a big chunk of the Marsh, I'm in one of the basements doing puzzles with the blue outline blocks. Do these have to cancel a yellow block or can you have them on their own? I'm on one puzzle where the grid is 4x4 and I've only two yellow blocks in it and everything is quite spread out, not seeing how I can group things.

You must use up all the blue outline blocks to cancel out yellow blocks. They're invalid on their own.

danthefan

You must use up all the blue outline blocks to cancel out yellow blocks. They're invalid on their own.

Ok thanks, that was my understanding.

Edit - though I hit a puzzle that is trying to teach me something and I don't know what it's trying to teach me. It's
a 2col * 3row grid. Bottom left has a two block high piece, above it is a blue outline and above that is another blue outline. If you draw a line that groups these three blocks vertically it is valid. I'm feeling a bit slow here but I just don't get how that is valid if you have to cancel out yellow blocks with blue blocks.

Bowlie

Banned
One thing that helped me was
muting the ingame music, and putting something on that relaxes you or that you're comfortable with. You don't need the ingame music. When you're on a good run, you'll know.

damn if it did not get me hyped though.

---

endgame spoilers:
Thank you for not answering P4r Sc0re's post. That's one way to see that movie, hahaha. And don't answer this too.

Ok thanks, that was my understanding.

Edit - though I hit a puzzle that is trying to teach me something and I don't know what it's trying to teach me. It's
a 2col * 3row grid. Bottom left has a two block high piece, above it is a blue outline and above that is another blue outline. If you draw a line that groups these three blocks vertically it is valid. I'm feeling a bit slow here but I just don't get how that is valid if you have to cancel out yellow blocks with blue blocks.

That is the most important puzzle to understanding how these work.
Yes, as long as these blocks are together any line will work.

To understand why, think about
what you are actually left with after the yellow blocks are cancelled out.

danthefan

That is the most important puzzle to understanding how these work.
Yes, as long as these blocks are together any line will work.

To understand why, think about
what you are actually left with after the yellow blocks are cancelled out.

After the
yellow blocks are cancelled you would be left with nothing.
I just got the subsequent puzzle by sheer luck, but looking at it I think it's because the
blue blocks completely cancelled a yellow square.

Completely stumped by the next one though. I think I'm going to bed.

I fucking did it. Postgame:
Completed the challenge. This was like the third time I got all the way to the pillars. Got incredibly lucky all the way. Got semi-hard puzzles in the second section (the one with one maze, one star puzzle, one symmetry and one shape puzzle, then got really lucky with the colour panels. Then one that looked easy turned out to be easy. And the triangle puzzles were relatively easy as well, with relatively few symbols. I had very little time left for the final pillars but they were really easy as well. Got the hexagon one really easily. The second one was a bit harder and I had almost no time left. I wasn't confident that I had solved it but had no time to double-check. Turned out I was right.

Took around six hours in total to beat it. That's probably slower than for most people, but I'm just really bad at
doing things quickly. It's not really that I get stressed out, but I just prefer to do things slowly when I can.

Now I'm hoping to bed with a Witness-induced headache for the second time this weekend :D

E: Looking at
the pillars
again
the hexagon one was actually pretty difficult. I must have simply gotten lucky and chanced upon a good start. The black white square one on the other hand though looks really really easy. I didn't realize while under stress, but the one I got was actually really really easy.

It seems the challenge basically only comes down to luck in the end. I'm not sure how I feel about that

KevinCow

Banned
So I don't really get the + puzzles.

I got the one at the top of the mountain with the river. Then I thought I found some in the monastery, with the yellow moss through the windows to the left of the entrance... but it won't let me click on them. Am I missing something, or are these not actually puzzles?

JesseZao

I got the one at the top of the mountain with the river. Then I thought I found some in the monastery, with the yellow moss through the windows to the left of the entrance... but it won't let me click on them. Am I missing something, or are these not actually puzzles?
Sometimes you need a different perspective with more well defined boundries. In this case, think inside the box.

The windows are key.

One of those I couldn't get to work either, but I think I am just stupid.

Basically:

The starting point has to be a full circle with an overall consistent color and no missing pieces.

The line must be unbroken, must have an overall color consistent with the starting point, and must connect the starting point to a rounded endpoint.

JesseZao

Basically:

The starting point has to be a full circle with an overall consistent color and no missing pieces.

The line must be unbroken, must have an overall color consistent with the starting point, and must connect the starting point to a rounded endpoint.

The last set you wrote can be stretched, but is generally the case.

KevinCow

Banned
Sometimes you need a different perspective with more well defined boundries. In this case, think inside the box.

The windows are key.

Basically:

I swear I had it lined up just like you're saying, but it still wouldn't click. Guess I'll try again.

Hey, I forgot (Tetris puzzles)
What do I do if the yellow squares are near the outside of the square they are in?

Like: [Yellow Square] a bunch of space [Yellow Square]

sinxtanx

100% completion (all puzzles and audio logs)

no secret ending as far as I can see, I guess the game is meant to be interpreted rather than the player getting to know absolutely everything.
So here's my theory: I think the island is meant as a sort of "teaching tool" to help people understand how to reason about the universe and the soul from basic principles rather than by defining what they're not ("I'm an atheist because I have no evidence of God" instead of "I'm an atheist because the Bible is silly") built by The Developers Who Are Not Necessarily Blow & Co, who are seemingly frustrated with how little spiritual development atheism gets. The puzzles are designed to require science - you can see some complex puzzles early on, but it's not until later, once you've made more discoveries about the universe of the island, that you'll solve them. And when you solve them, it's because you've done science. And more importantly once you've solved them all you wake up and go bang on some cups with a spoon. It's a cool but sort of opaque theme, nonetheless I enjoyed it.

now to wait 20 years for Jonathans' next game :p

Hey, I forgot (Tetris puzzles)
What do I do if the yellow squares are near the outside of the square they are in?

Like: [Yellow Square] a bunch of space [Yellow Square]

Either put each piece where it is, or, if that's impossible, find a way to connect them all together so that you can put them in different places.

ghibli99

About 250 puzzles in or so. Favorite areas have been the greenhouse and swamp. Not really a fan of the sound puzzles, and I got through one of them just by guessing since the sounds made absolutely zero sense to me. Fantastic game, though. Who knew so much could be built around what's basically a single game mechanic?

100% completion (all puzzles and audio logs)

no secret ending as far as I can see, I guess the game is meant to be interpreted rather than the player getting to know absolutely everything.
So here's my theory: I think the island is meant as a sort of "teaching tool" to help people understand how to reason about the universe and the soul from basic principles rather than by defining what they're not ("I'm an atheist because I have no evidence of God" instead of "I'm an atheist because the Bible is silly") built by The Developers Who Are Not Necessarily Blow & Co, who are seemingly frustrated with how little spiritual development atheism gets. The puzzles are designed to require science - you can see some complex puzzles early on, but it's not until later, once you've made more discoveries about the universe of the island, that you'll solve them. And when you solve them, it's because you've done science. And more importantly once you've solved them all you wake up and go bang on some cups with a spoon. It's a cool but sort of opaque theme, nonetheless I enjoyed it.

I think
the Einstein quote about "cosmic religious feeling" is possibly the most important thematic quote in the game, and sums up everything you theorized. For Einstein, the experience of religion came about as a result of scientific inquiry. But Einstein also saw that it would be difficult to communicate such an experience between people.

To that end, the island was created to help people achieve Einstein's "cosmic religious feeling" in an environment where there is nothing to do but experiment and inquire. The voiced quotes were recorded as a subliminal hint at what you're trying to accomplish.

Bernbaum

Finished.

I really have to respect the experience that has been crafted, even if it wasn't entirely enjoyable for me throughout.

A lot of puzzle game sensibilities got thrown out the window with this game. Certain 'tropes' used in other games that guide or educate the player do not apply here, so it was refreshing to approach this with a clear head. I went in completely spoiler-free, as I enjoyed Braid immensely.

A few questions:

- The black
hexagonal obelisks. I assume that each face on the obelisk is facing towards the direction of the environmental puzzle. Is that correct
- How many
obelisks are there?
- How many
lasers are there? I solved more than was required.
- The random
single-sheet puzzles hidden across the island - what are these? They are placed independent of main puzzles, don't seem to have any logic, and can be solved randomly with relative ease. What am I missing.
- I assume the hidden
'hexagonal' puzzles are related to the theater under the windmill. How much post-game is there?
- Is there a single online reference for post-game? Any write-ups that offer a deeper interpretation or attempt to unravel the chronology of events on the island prior to the game?

A few questions:

- The black
hexagonal obelisks. I assume that each face on the obelisk is facing towards the direction of the environmental puzzle. Is that correct
- How many
obelisks are there?
- How many
lasers are there? I solved more than was required.
- The random
single-sheet puzzles hidden across the island - what are these? They are placed independent of main puzzles, don't seem to have any logic, and can be solved randomly with relative ease. What am I missing.
- I assume the hidden
'hexagonal' puzzles are related to the theater under the windmill. How much post-game is there?
- Is there a single online reference for post-game? Any write-ups that offer a deeper interpretation or attempt to unravel the chronology of events on the island prior to the game?

-
Yes.
-
Six.
-
Eleven.
-
They are another set of tutorials, for something you have yet to find.
-
There is one of them that you can't reach yet.
-
Lots of write-ups (no one definitive version yet), but don't spoil yourself yet. There is more to learn in-game.

Kylarean

Got most of the environmental puzzles. Now to finish
off the challenge. Farthest I made it to was the last pillar puzzle and ran out of time. Spent a few hours so far trying to do it

KevinCow

Banned
The beach near the desert:

What the fuck at this puzzle: http://i.imgur.com/qu3nQGN.jpg

It doesn't seem possible. The two Tetris pieces don't have nearly enough squares to connect with each other, much less also connect with all of the empty squares, much less also subtract the required 4 squares. Plus you need to touch every intersection in the puzzle? What?

The beach near the desert:

What the fuck at this puzzle: http://i.imgur.com/qu3nQGN.jpg

It doesn't seem possible. The two Tetris pieces don't have nearly enough squares to connect with each other, much less also connect with all of the empty squares, much less also subtract the required 4 squares. Plus you need to touch every intersection in the puzzle? What?

Review how
subtraction
works. You need to be absolutely clear on that for this.

Specifically:
Subtraction does not require pieces to be in contact.

KevinCow

Banned
Review how
subtraction

Specifically:

What?
The way I understand subtraction is that the subtraction block removes blocks from the area it's contained in. That's how I've done every subtraction problem in the game. Is that not correct? Are you telling me that subtraction blocks can subtract from areas that don't contain them?

What?
The way I understand subtraction is that the subtraction block removes blocks from the area it's contained in. That's how I've done every subtraction problem in the game. Is that not correct? Are you telling me that subtraction blocks can subtract from areas that don't contain them?

Sorry for the confusion.
They do have to be contained in the same area. I thought you were asking if the solid blocks and the subtraction blocks have to be touching, which is not required.

KevinCow

Banned
I figured it out. I completely forgot the rule that
if an area contains the same number of empty squares as filled squares, then they cancel out and the area can be any shape.

And that is the
Challenge
complete. Been picking away at that for over a week. A few attempts here, another handful of attempts there. I'd practically given up on it, when after watching My Bloody Valentine with the fiance, I figured I'd give it another go since it was already queued up in suspended mode on the PS4 and I got it on my first try. I honestly could hardly believe it, as the last two
pillar puzzles
I got on my first try which seemed like 100% dumb luck.

Whatever. I'll take it.

Tempted to go back and wrap up the +1 puzzles, and the handful of proper puzzles I have to complete, but honestly - at this point - I'm happy to have finished all the major checkpoints. If the community discoverers something cool after this, I'm game for diving deeper - but for now I'm content with things.

Thoughts on the
reward
for the
Challenge
:
Really interesting talk. Made a bunch of the other Windmill video's a bit more worth it. Definitely seems to point towards there being a larger 'meta' puzzle, but I'm thankfully of the mindset of waiting for someone else to tell me the solutions to it. Really loved this game a lot more than I initially thought I would, but I'm glad to have wrapped this up. After coming off a months/years long Destiny addiction, I'm happy to have reached a satisfying 'end' with the Witness. Back to the Witcher 3, till someone inevitably figures out the final puzzle of the game.

mclem

Review how
subtraction

Specifically:

I'd say that's not strictly true, it's more
if you completely eliminate all the symbols in a region through subtraction, no Tetris symbol exists in that region and that rule is no longer tested

I'd phrase it that was because
I think it's better to continually reinforce within the rules that a symbol's position within a section is irrelevant

Edit: Ah, and further responses basically say the same!

FerranMG

Okay, I need indications for two puzzles that have my progress blocked.
I just finished the
desert ruins
area, so I thought I'd come back to the
town
to do a similar puzzle I remember was there. But I try to apply similar mechanics and I can't solve it.
I've tried:
To see the path reflected by the sun, as in the desert ruins. I see a clear path, but I follow it and yet the puzzle doesn't get solved.
I've noticed that depending on the path I choose, sometimes I can't advance, so I've tried to apply symmetry concepts, and to avoid tree branches to no avail.
Don't know what else to try.

Another area in which I've been completely stuck for days is the
Chinese-looking castle with a red tree in the middle.
I've opened the blinds of each side, and solved the three panels at the right, the ones that you have to look through the blinds to see the path.
This activated a panel in the middle of the room that I have not the slightest clue how to solve. It's a 3x6 vertical panel with orange background and nothing else.
Can anyone provide step by step clues on how to attack these two panels?

I havent done the challenge yet but i would have thought doing it first try would be near impossible going by what i read here. This guys is an ICE team programmer at Naughty Dog though o_O

https://twitter.com/drewthaler/status/699071784352493569

I don't feel like that would be possible, unless you knew some details beforehand.
The killer would be the maze - if you know it corresponds to the table-puzzle, you're fine. If you don't though, you could be wandering around in there for ages looking for... well, you'd have no idea, would you? One panel? Two panels? Eight panels? The puzzles don't even show up that clearly if you're not walking past them quite slowly and looking side to side which'd take time.

I honestly don't see how it could be doable, without that small element of cheating.

I don't feel like that would be possible, unless you knew some details beforehand.
The killer would be the maze - if you know it corresponds to the table-puzzle, you're fine. If you don't though, you could be wandering around in there for ages looking for... well, you'd have no idea, would you? One panel? Two panels? Eight panels? The puzzles don't even show up that clearly if you're not walking past them quite slowly and looking side to side which'd take time.

I honestly don't see how it could be doable, without that small element of cheating.

There have been a few successful
Challenge videos
from folks in this thread where they
just stumble their way through the maze, having not discovered the correlation with the previous puzzle
. It's kind of nuts, and definitely super lucky. I know that if I hadn't had that information, I might have given up.

FerranMG

Think about what you learned from doing the right hand puzzles.

Big hint:
You needed to use perspective to overlay something over the puzzle to guide you.

Ok, made some advance here, thanks.

Okay, I need indications for two puzzles that have my progress blocked.
I just finished the
desert ruins
area, so I thought I'd come back to the
town
to do a similar puzzle I remember was there. But I try to apply similar mechanics and I can't solve it.
I've tried:
To see the path reflected by the sun, as in the desert ruins. I see a clear path, but I follow it and yet the puzzle doesn't get solved.
I've noticed that depending on the path I choose, sometimes I can't advance, so I've tried to apply symmetry concepts, and to avoid tree branches to no avail.
Don't know what else to try.

Any help here?

Vexidus

Any help here?

There's more than one puzzle in the town that fits your description, so it might help to tell us which one.

I would assume you're talking about the
tall orange rectangle one and not the blue one. In which case you need to apply hints from different angles to arrive at the full solution. Draw it out on paper if that helps you.

I went in blind and my first attempt I made it to
the last pillar.
Took many attempts after to actually do it. I think there is something to the idea that you will be calmer when you don't know the magnitude of what you are dealing with and that can help a whole bunch.

JesseZao

I went in blind and my first attempt I made it to
the last pillar.
Took many attempts after to actually do it. I think there is something to the idea that you will be calmer when you don't know the magnitude of what you are dealing with and that can help a whole bunch.

Yep. You can see that especially when people take a break or come back the next day and do it in the first couple of tries.

BrokenBox

Quick question on a puzzle I'm on in the Beach area. Please don't answer with spoilers/solutions:

Is the beach shape/subtraction puzzle supposed to be really hard? This is the puzzle right by the coast of the world, in the Egyptian-like area. Been stuck on this puzzle for a day and I'm one away from solving it. Thanks.

Bowlie

Banned
Quick question on a puzzle I'm on in the Beach area. Please don't answer with spoilers/solutions:

Is the beach shape/subtraction puzzle supposed to be really hard? This is the puzzle right by the coast of the world, in the Egyptian-like area. Been stuck on this puzzle for a day and I'm one away from solving it. Thanks.

Could you link to an image? I'm not quite sure of what puzzle you're talking about. Anyway I don't remember a super hard puzzle there.

That is one of the harder ones, yes.

KarmaCow

You're probably overthinking it.

Top Bottom