• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Quick question on a puzzle I'm on in the Beach area. Please don't answer with spoilers/solutions:

Is the beach shape/subtraction puzzle supposed to be really hard? This is the puzzle right by the coast of the world, in the Egyptian-like area. Been stuck on this puzzle for a day and I'm one away from solving it. Thanks.

This is one of the game's harder puzzles, as has been said before, but it is manageable if you break the whole thing down into little rules that your solution must follow.

For example, how many different orientations can the
3-long tetrimino line piece
really have? Did you notice that for that piece, you
would have black dots on all sides of the shape, requiring a complete loop-around?
Or how about
how you need to capture all blue squares and the other tetrimino within one curve?

sn00zer

Finally got into the meat of the game. Holy shit some of these puzzles are really really clever. Also the tree top area is no fun, really dont like the more traditional line puzzles.

LordofPwn

the obelisks will be my downfall.

I've made it to the challenge room, and i feel like i've solved all of the puzzle boards up to the music box but i'm sure i've missed some

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Just "finished" the game.

Question for continuing:

Should I continue with a new game as prompted or go to a save before I got in the glass elevator?

KarmaCow

Just "finished" the game.

Question for continuing:

Should I continue with a new game as prompted or go to a save before I got in the glass elevator?

The only thing that changes by starting a new game is your perspective on the beginning after learning all the rules and mechanics of the game, so it can be interesting to see stuff in a new light. That said, everything can be done in one save and there are no real points of no return.

Blackthorn

The only thing that changes by starting a new game is your perspective on the beginning after learning all the rules and mechanics of the game, so it can be interesting to see stuff in a new light. That said, everything can be done in one save and there are no real points of no return.
I feel no real desire to go back over puzzles I've already solved, so I'll just go back to another save. Thanks!

I know there's still plenty to do, but even if what I'd seen already was all there was to it, it would still be one of the best games I've ever played. What a truly incredible achievement.

Exuro

I feel no real desire to go back over puzzles I've already solved, so I'll just go back to another save. Thanks!

I know there's still plenty to do, but even if what I'd seen already was all there was to it, it would still be one of the best games I've ever played. What a truly incredible achievement.
You don't need to go back to any saves. It saves when you're in the elevator.

Man I can't figure out this damn tutorial panel in the quarry

I got 5 of the 6 but I feel like it was just luck because my strategy isn't working on the 6th :(

Vexidus

Man I can't figure out this damn tutorial panel in the quarry

I got 5 of the 6 but I feel like it was just luck because my strategy isn't working on the 6th :(

Looks like you need to re-solve the previous tutorial puzzles and experiment with different ways of solving to test your theories about how the mechanic works.

Looks like you need to re-solve the previous tutorial puzzles and experiment with different ways of solving to test your theories about how the mechanic works.

Thanks I got the first set panels :)

Edit: Now stuck on the next set which add some colours -_- but progress is progress. I'll come back to this later

Blackthorn

Holy fucking god damn shit I just discovered you can interact with "mazes" formed by the environment. This is nuts. The obsession with this game has no end in site.

finalflame

Can someone please explain to me why this is not a solution?

Potential tetris puzzle spoiler below, but not really.

<snipped images to remove potential spoilers now that someone helped me out>

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ah man now I really wish I didn't
look up the hidden ending on youtube. After inputting the secret code you find in the caves, I'm guessing I would've found the reason why you'd want to turn the gate on again, since I already found 20 or so +'s. Ah well.

I also found some +'s and I found circles at the bottom of the treehouse area, at the shipwreck site... I'm dropping it at 20 or so because tracking them all down would take me forever.

Also finally solved the desert bunker puzzle, that felt great. I'm only missing the 5th vid now, but as it stands I'm taking a break from the game, it's been an unforgettable ride.

hesido

Screw this. I'm at about
three fiddy
solved and some 30 in addition.

I'm stuck at the village puzzles which require environmental clues (as they don't have the shape ruling system), also
the one at the ship with different colored dots.
which I have no clue what to do. Really bummed after managing all that.

Also, I have enough
lasers
activated to turn on the puzzle
beneath the two guys feet at the top of the hill,
I guess that triggers the
challenge
or something, but I haven't found an earthly way to solve that.

I'm not yet asking for help, I'll do so next week. But I have 0 faith in myself left.

KevinCow

Banned
In the village, there's a basement with
a sound-proof room, a broken speaker, and two puzzles like from the bamboo forest. What's this all about? I can't make anything of it. Obviously I'm supposed to input the code that the speaker would be playing... but how do I know what the code is if the speaker's broken?

GeeTeeCee

Quick question on a puzzle I'm on in the Beach area. Please don't answer with spoilers/solutions:

Is the beach shape/subtraction puzzle supposed to be really hard? This is the puzzle right by the coast of the world, in the Egyptian-like area. Been stuck on this puzzle for a day and I'm one away from solving it. Thanks.

I hope that's one of the harder ones, given that I just spent half of my morning recreating that puzzle in a drawing app on my tablet so I could test potential solutions at my leisure.

I think I've stumbled on a solution that looks correct, but I have to wait until tomorrow afternoon when I can finally turn on my PS4 and learn if all that time was used wisely...

a sound-proof room, a broken speaker, and two puzzles like from the bamboo forest. What's this all about? I can't make anything of it. Obviously I'm supposed to input the code that the speaker would be playing... but how do I know what the code is if the speaker's broken?

Experiment with the left panel.

How does anyone know what the code is, if the speaker's broken?

Goldrusher

Solve both panels the same...

hesido

I didn't use any
sound hints
for that (are there any??), and my solve may be coincidental. But I first established that
the two are dependent on each other.
Then I made a bet that I solve the
the one on the right
first, and going from smaller dots to bigger size dots.

I made a vague
connection
to the other puzzle in that that both has
3 levels
, one as the
size of dots, the other as the level of line.
. I tried a solution on the left one based on that,
going from low to high
, but it didn't work, so I
inversed the level of lines.
, and it worked.

So yeah, that's mostly by chance, so I'm wondering what the true rule is.

I made a vague
connection
3 levels
, one as the
going from low to high
, and it worked.

What you actually did was
make both panels represent the same sequence of sounds. It doesn't matter what it is as long as it's the same on both.

hesido

make both panels represent the same sequence of sounds. It doesn't matter what it is as long as it's the same on both.

Thanks, are there any other puzzles which are actually solved
on sound cues
, and where are they? I've solved a lot of puzzles but don't seem to have bumped into any. This one doesn't
produce any sounds
does it?

on sound cues
, and where are they? I've solved a lot of puzzles but don't seem to have bumped into any. This one doesn't
produce any sounds
does it?

I see now. That puzzle was not supposed to make sense if you didn't finish the
jungle
first.

You should have learned these
with sound
before you did this one, which had
no sound

Vexidus

on sound cues
produce any sounds
does it?

There is an entire section of the world dedicated to those kinds of puzzles. Plus there is another more advanced one elsewhere.

KevinCow

Banned
I didn't use any
sound hints
for that (are there any??), and my solve may be coincidental. But I first established that
the two are dependent on each other.
Then I made a bet that I solve the
the one on the right
first, and going from smaller dots to bigger size dots.

I made a vague
connection
3 levels
, one as the
going from low to high
, and it worked.

You're really bad at using spoiler tags, lol. Just put one at the start and one at the end.

I could've sworn that's what I did. Guess I'll try again.

Just watched (post-game) the
video unlocked after completing the challenge.

That was really fascinating.

I feel like Blow put this talk in there as a pre-emptive comment on the inevitable Easter egg hunt inevitably undertaken by the fans right now. Though I can't tell if it is telling us that any search for a huge secret is folly and foolishness, or hinting at something yet to be discovered.
Very interesting stuff.

Easy_G

Just completed the end game. A few questions:

What should I be doing with those panels lying on the ground? I don't understand their rules, but they seem simple enough to guess.

is there a trick to getting the +puzzles on the windmill? It seems they should be simple, but my dot always falls off when trying to go from the second blade to the third.

Besides just trying to find all the environment puzzles, is there anything I should be doing? I completed all lasers.

Great game, but sure I "understand" it, but maybe I'll head to the story discussion thread.

What should I be doing with those panels lying on the ground? I don't understand their rules, but they seem simple enough to guess.

is there a trick to getting the +puzzles on the windmill? It seems they should be simple, but my dot always falls off when trying to go from the second blade to the third.

Besides just trying to find all the environment puzzles, is there anything I should be doing? I completed all lasers.

Great game, but sure I "understand" it, but maybe I'll head to the story discussion thread.

Third question: Yes, there is more you should be doing. Go to
the top of the mountain and look around.

First question:
They serve as a tutorial for a mechanic you will see a lot in the area I alluded to in my answer to your third question. Study them until you figure out their rules.

A hint how to do what I said at the end of the last spoiler. Only click if you want more help about that
did you find a panel with a symbol that consists of two triangles? How do the rules for this one differ from the panels with one-triangle symbols?

Your first question is the answer to your third question.

As for your second question, I'm actually stuck on the same thing!

KevinCow

Banned
This game just keeps dragging me back in. I'm just like, "Okay, I'm done with the game, I've completed everything I wanted to do. Finished the main game, did some of the + puzzles... I'm not going to bother doing 100%, I'm satisfied."

But then I'll suddenly think, "...Wait a minute. Could there have been a + puzzle in that one spot?" And I'll turn the game back on, intending to check only that one spot, then wind up spending two hours searching for more + puzzles.

Easy_G

Your first question is the answer to your third question.

As for your second question, I'm actually stuck on the same thing!

I think I've got an answer for my own question which may help you too.
your line can't cross itself. You may have to take a non obvious path along the blades to make this happen.

Alec

I think I might be bugged...? I think this puzzle is legit unbeatable.

Post-Game Spoilers.

Final set of puzzles for the Music Box Challenge. PS4 is currently in Rest Mode. I've solved the pillar on the right. Pillar on the left seems legitimately impossible. I've included both my terrible diagram of the puzzle as well as the video I took in order to create the diagram. I've gone over them hundreds of times, for hours. There is a dot in the DEAD CENTER. How am I supposed to get that in a Symmetry Puzzle?

Link to the video.

Link to the diagram.

hesido

I see now. That puzzle was not supposed to make sense if you didn't finish the
jungle
first.

You should have learned these
with sound
before you did this one, which had
no sound

So I went in
deaf
but not
blind
. :)

Very strange, been through the area but the methodology never occurred to me, somehow. So I left them there, unsolved.

Actually, the village is a culmination of all the rules, so I should have guessed from the very different style that I'm missing an entire set of rule list.

You're really bad at using spoiler tags, lol. Just put one at the start and one at the end.

That's how I roll, man. :p :)

The idea is to give a better intuition before one clicks on the spoiler tag, by using the surrounding information, as the surrounding words tell clues about how innocent the spoiler is. Environmental clues, sort of! Maybe the execution is bad. :)

danthefan

Took me a while but I finally got through the swamp. Found that section the hardest so far easily. Took the boat to a tree house now so new puzzles I haven't seen before. This is a really excellent game.

KeRaSh

Post-Game Spoilers.

Final set of puzzles for the Music Box Challenge. PS4 is currently in Rest Mode. I've solved the pillar on the right. Pillar on the left seems legitimately impossible. I've included both my terrible diagram of the puzzle as well as the video I took in order to create the diagram. I've gone over them hundreds of times, for hours. There is a dot in the DEAD CENTER. How am I supposed to get that in a Symmetry Puzzle?

Link to the video.

Link to the diagram.

I'm pretty sure I've come across two or three unsolvable puzzles during the challenge, too (not counting the two sets of three panels, although I still think I've ran into sets that had no solvable solutions until I intentionally turned it off again to get a new puzzle).

In the end, beating the challenge felt as satisfying as finally beating that one boss that gave you a hard time in Bloodborne. It was tough and some luck was required but it was still pretty fair. More games need to make the player feel that way.

Post-Game Spoilers.

Link to the video.

Link to the diagram.

Don't forget the huge difference between
the left and right pillars

The right pillar is mirrored symmetry. The left pillar is not.

You might forget about that by going into rest mode immediately...

I'm pretty sure I've come across two or three unsolvable puzzles during the challenge, too (not counting the two sets of three panels, although I still think I've ran into sets that had no solvable solutions until I intentionally turned it off again to get a new puzzle).

Anything you write off as unsolvable deserves a second opinion, I think. But then,
anything in there you get a brain freeze on might as well be effectively unsolvable...

KeRaSh

Anything you write off as unsolvable deserves a second opinion, I think. But then,
anything in there you get a brain freeze on might as well be effectively unsolvable...

I agree but I was too lazy to take screenshots. A failed run was a failed run and getting annoyed by something like that would only hurt my following runs.
Whenever I hit a dead end and I realized the run was over I took my time with the potentially unsolvable puzzle to see if I can find an error with my logic that could help me on my next run but there was at least one I was 99% sure of. I think it was one of those where you had to go through the black dots and there was one specific puzzle where the broken lines and the black dots were arranged so that it is impossible to pick up one black dot and not run into a dead end. The only other way to access that black dot would then block off your way out with your own line. If you took the other way around to the black dot another dot would be unreachable. I think I looked at it from every possible angle but I'm not claiming it was definitely unsolvable. I'm just pretty sure about it. :p

FerranMG

It's possible you're just not quite applying it correctly, because you're doing the right thing.

There's more than one puzzle in the town that fits your description, so it might help to tell us which one.

I would assume you're talking about the
tall orange rectangle one and not the blue one. In which case you need to apply hints from different angles to arrive at the full solution. Draw it out on paper if that helps you.

My advice would be to come back later

Haha, I did a terrible description of the puzzle, sorry. :p

It's the one in this pic:
NNvwD

I don't think it's a puzzle I need any more info to solve. I've activated all the lasers except for the one in this area.
I know the mechanics.
I just think there's something missing in my train of thought.
For the record, I've tried
applying hints from different angles, but I just see the path that can be clearly seen in the picture. The path is not even a proper solution, but I've tried looking at the panel from plenty of angles, and I ONLY see this piece of path.

NNvwD

I don't think it's a puzzle I need any more info to solve. I've activated all the lasers except for the one in this area.
I know the mechanics.
applying hints from different angles, but I just see the path that can be clearly seen in the picture. The path is not even a proper solution, but I've tried looking at the panel from plenty of angles, and I ONLY see this piece of path.

Like all the other puzzles like this one
you need to look at it from the right angle.

More specifically:
Depending on how far you have gotten in other parts of the Town, my previous advice may still apply.

mclem

Post-Game Spoilers.

Link to the video.

Link to the diagram.

I think *this* works:

Here

(Ignore the numbers, just grabbed a slitherlink puzzle to use as a workspace. The 6x6 central portion is the puzzle itself, (Endgame spoilers)
I used the border to show wraparound
)

Vexidus

NNvwD

I know the mechanics.

Bigger hint than the one above:
look at the angle of the panel. You should have learned from the desert where you need to stand to see glare off it. You need to be high off the ground.

Top Bottom