• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Sitting at
522 +133 +5
. I know exactly what I have left:

The + yellow path in the mountain, which I haven't put much time into... hopefully it's just painfully obvious, but seems like it'll be sneaky.
A + near the boat dock in the marsh (I think). I have the orange one using the back of the boat, and this one clearly uses the front - just can't find an ending point.
Finishing again and re-solving the gate.

At something like 85 hours, left it idle for only a few of those. Haven't looked up anything and don't plan to. There have been games over the years that I've wished I could wipe from my memory to be able to experience again for the first time, but this one is light years beyond.

hesido

I did about ~8 more in town and then crashed into one
that was a giant plus sign with like, a hajillion exits to it. Couldn't spot where to identify the path - thinking the apple tree next to it is related, but I couldn't see how - so I'm back to wandering for other less brutal prey.

Somewhat General Hint:
A tree may not be represented necessarily as a tree shape in the puzzle.

More precisely:
That tree indeed is related.

The hint does not show what the solution exactly is, but click at your own risk!

The + yellow path in the mountain, which I haven't put much time into... hopefully it's just painfully obvious, but seems like it'll be sneaky.

That one is indeed
sneaky
. If I understood what the puzzle is, you indeed need to
sneak around while solving it.

*Vague Hint.

mclem

End spoilers
So I've finished the game and completed the credit sequence. That FMV got me like o_O

I kept seeing people mention a challenge. I guess this is another thing I'm oblivious to?

Stepwise hints:

1:
Right near the end - the room before the cove - there's an interesting scene. Does that suggest anything to you?

2;
That panel is switched off, though. Can you switch it on?

3;
That wire's going up. Up quite a long way

4:
What changed when you got seven lasers?

5:
You've got 11 lasers

6:
Has it changed again?

7:
Maybe from a perspective you didn't *have* when you solved it with 7 lasers

That ought to get you started. But that is, indeed, only the start...

Jux

If anyone has some tips with the one in
the mountain (not the last area)

Not part of the last area but before climbing to the top.The one with two yellow and two blue dots and with the black/white mechanic where the line would stop after a certain distance. Somebody told me earlier in this thread that if I had done all 11 lasers I should know... But I did all the 11 lasers and I don't :/ So I would just like to know where are the similar puzzles I've missed/forgotten? Obviously I know about black/white and sound ones but I don't remember the line stopping ever before.

mclem

Postgame spoilers:

What would people say are the easiest obelisks to complete? The first one I did was the desert, but that may simply be because it was the first I properly worked at.

mclem

If anyone has some tips with the one in
the mountain (not the last area)

Not part of the last area but before climbing to the top.The one with two yellow and two blue dots and with the black/white mechanic where the line would stop after a certain distance. Somebody told me earlier in this thread that if I had done all 11 lasers I should know... But I did all the 11 lasers and I don't :/ So I would just like to know where are the similar puzzles I've missed/forgotten? Obviously I know about black/white and sound ones but I don't remember the line stopping ever before.

Stepwise hints:

0:
Only two things block the line: Gaps in the track are one, what's the other?

1:
You've seen one where the line stops before

2;
You've seen dot puzzles with dots of two different colours before, too. What did you have to do for those?

3:
An element of those puzzles that was critical both stopped the line *and* was necessary due to the fact there were two distinct dot colours.

4:
But the element in question wasn't invisible for most of them. It did become invisible as you worked through the sequence

5;
Note something about the entrances and exits

6;
Think back to what was possibly the first laser you got (It was the first I got, and it's got the highest completion rate as far as PSN trophies are concerned, so it's the first many people got)

EXPLICIT:
This is a Symmetry puzzle where the second line is invisible, but it's still there, and your line can collide with it.

Noaloha

Can someone explain me the logic here. Marshes door puzzle (the right one)

http://www.gosunoob.com/witness/marsh-swamp-tetris-puzzle-solutions/attachment/witness_how-to-get-boat-and-map-2/

the shapes do not match at all. I tries other solution where they did't match either, but it wasn't the correct one. The filled spaces do not seem to match the number of the blocks either

If these look wrong to you then it's possible you haven't fully landed on the rule that governs these pieces. My go-to abstraction in my brain is to consider (light explanation)
building 'orchards' with fences and the shape of said orchard relating to (or rather, governed entirely by) what symbols it encloses, etc. etc.

If that still doesn't offer enough insight into why the above puzzle is correct, see an outright visual representation here. (edit: ha, I just saw that I drew that second one wrong, hopefully it still makes sense given it's supposed to be a 4x4 panel. The rightmost column as drawn shouldn't be there.)

mclem

http://www.gosunoob.com/witness/marsh-swamp-tetris-puzzle-solutions/attachment/witness_how-to-get-boat-and-map-2/

the shapes do not match at all. I tries other solution where they did't match either, but it wasn't the correct one. The filled spaces do not seem to match the number of the blocks either

Stepwise hints:

(I use the term 'segment' to refer to a collection of squares cordoned off by the line and the edge of the puzzle, so the leftmost panel, for instance, has four segments)

0:
This is one of those puzzles I've mentioned earlier that's designed to make you challenge and rethink your assumptions. You are probably working based on an incorrect assumption.

1:
Look at the first puzzle. That fits with your current assumptions just fine, and you've solved it based on your current assumptions. Nothing wrong with that.

2:
Just to correct a mistake you've made that isn't an incorrect assumption, just an error of observation: The filled spaces do match the number of the blocks. 3 tetrominoes (4 blocks): 12 blocks total. Spaces filled: 12.

3:
Your current assumptions are that a tetris piece must be drawn around by the line in a way that matches the shape. If two tetris pieces join that way, the line does not need to split them

This is actually more complicated than the real rule!

You've assumed that there was an extra limitation, which isn't actually true

Have a think about that. Challenge what you've assumed.

Perhaps visit earlier puzzles. You know what solves the earlier puzzles, but what's sufficient to solve them?

8:
Break things down to what you know works, and find out what you know doesn't. Don't make assumptions about what doesn't

9: (BIG HINT, you'll risk losing the sense of discovery if you take this one):
Don't get too attached to position.

10: (EXPLICIT)
The rule for Tetris pieces is as follows: A segment that contains one or more Tetris pieces must be able to be made from those Tetris pieces. The position of the symbol within the segment is irrelevant

Jyrii

Banned
If these look wrong to you then it's possible you haven't fully landed on the rule that governs these pieces. My go-to abstraction in my brain is to consider (light explanation)
building 'orchards' with fences and the shape of said orchard relating to (or rather, governed entirely by) what symbols it encloses, etc. etc.

Thanks, I got it.
the shapes do not need to be in their original places.

There was ONE damn puzzle about this before and I solved it using different logic.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I finally bet fucking level 27 in Snakebird (it was a showstopper when I started playing this late last year), and now I'm up to level 43 in one sitting. So that's nice.

You should all play Snakebird.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Vp576Qz.png
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8pvD_4Pd1A

Greecian-

After hearing the horror stories about the
Challenge,
I decided I just wasn't going to get the platinum for this game even though it was the final trophy I needed.

I was really bored tonight and tried for the first time. About three hours later, success!

youtube.com/watch?v=xp_zu09Wd0g

The frustration was real.

You can
access the boat, just do it from another place, like the quarry or town. Then you can go with it to the second pic and then the first.

DKehoe

I know its a cliche thing to say about the game now but it's just amazing how I can keep trying the same puzzle over and over again without seeing how it can be done then after take some time away and when I come back I finish it in my first attempt.

Damn, that was a great ending stretch. Also, I was under the impression that the game world create a new save before the point of no return. But my last save is
inside the ending elevetor, with the doors closed. Am I missing something or am I screwed?

e: never mind, I figured it out

Servbot24

Banned
Just finished! Man, what a great game. Would have been my runner up goty last year.

At 429 +18 right now, going to give it a rest and maybe come back later. The puzzle in the ship really had me baffled.

Henkka

Banned

What do you mean the numbers don't match? There's 12 blocks, and 12 spaces inside the correct shape.

Was thinking of drawing a picture for you, but I see Noaloha already did. My only advice aside from that would be not to move on before you fully understand the logic, it's crucial for basically all puzzles with tetris blocks later on.

LeBart

Snakebird is evil.

I played the first 15 levels and found it very frustrating. I felt like I was brute forcing every level by trial and error, rather than figuring out anything.

I'll play some more of it because I'm in serious Witness withdrawal, but I'm not a fan for now.

Doopliss

What do you mean the numbers don't match? There's 12 blocks, and 12 spaces inside the correct shape.

Was thinking of drawing a picture for you, but I see Noaloha already did. My only advice aside from that would be not to move on before you fully understand the logic, it's crucial for basically all puzzles with tetris blocks later on.
IIRC that is an optional puzzle that is encountered before the game finishes teaching you that mechanic. So in this case it would be better to move on and return to it later.

KeRaSh

Finally had time to finish this and give the challenge a few tries. I'm getting the hang of everything but I just can't consistently get past the
labyrinth
. I know how the layout is
affected by my actions
but I can never
find the puzzle panels even though I thought I remembered the layout.

Made it to the final pillar once but couldn't figure it out in time...

KTallguy

Banned
Refusing to read the thread, but man some of these are hard.

I had to cheat twice on that stupid monastery with the diagonal boxes... :(
First time was just my own stupidity, second time was ... also my own stupidity.

I'm making progress though! Did 2 more lazzeerrrs today.

Damn, some of these post-game puzzles are too hard to be fun. There is one puzzle
that is just a bunch of colours, it looks like the panels in the end-game area that were blinking. It's impossible to tell which colour is which. And then there is a pillar puzzle with arrow symbols that I spent over two hours on, which I'm convinced is unsolvable.

Also, I'm lost :(

hesido

For the greenhouse, I'm now using Blender 3D
to figure out what colour becomes what under different coloured lights.
Overkill? :) I'm genuinely wondering if that will help, lol. We'll see.

hesido

Just a tad overkill, but I think Blow would be touched :]

Lol, I tried and it
worked!

Laid
those colors down like a pro :D.

Here are the renderings:
http://imgur.com/lfVCeWA

This is just a guidance for the GreenHouse / Bunker, it's not the solution, you still need to figure that one out yourself. (So it's not exactly a spoiler if you figured out what you need to do!)
Yeah, I wouldn't know how to do this without Blender though. Maybe tweet it to Blow? :)

Sh0k

End game spoilers, need help :(

i've been reading that you get the game credits after finishing the game but all I got after getting into the elevator a fly-by through the whole island and every door, laser and puzzle was turning off. After that I went back to the beginning of the game tunnel and the only option I had is to start a new game. Do I have to create a separate save file before getting into the elevator or do I really have to start a new game? Where is the challenge mode?

Bowlie

Banned

i've been reading that you get the game credits after finishing the game but all I got after getting into the elevator a fly-by through the whole island and every door, laser and puzzle was turning off. After that I went back to the beginning of the game tunnel and the only option I had is to start a new game. Do I have to create a separate save file before getting into the elevator or do I really have to start a new game? Where is the challenge mode?

Just load your last save.

As to your last question:
as you're exiting the mountain, look at places you wouldn't look at while going down. Like ceilings and such.

You can reload the save of you in the elevator, and then just open the doors. This is what you should do if you want to finish off the rest of the puzzles and find the challenge mode. However, to see the credits, it's actually easiest to just start a new game. Hopefully the reason why will become evident very quickly.

Sh0k

Just load your last save.

As to your last question:
as you're exiting the mountain, look at places you wouldn't look at while going down. Like ceilings and such.

You can reload the save of you in the elevator, and then just open the doors. This is what you should do if you want to finish off the rest of the puzzles and find the challenge mode. However, to see the credits, it's actually easiest to just start a new game. Hopefully the reason why will become evident very quickly.

Thanks,
I thought that I needed to start a new game for the challenges

Progress: 522 +88.
Still no obelisks completed.

I thought I was done with the main puzzle mechanics... and then (major +1 spoilers)
I was completely floored by the keep once again. The +1s force you to re-solve everything, with alternate solutions that only work by walking the mazes backwards. With every maze Blow ensured that you would not have gotten the +1 solution the first time around, or ensured that one solution was not enough. The multiple layers of solutions upon other solutions in this area, and how tightly they are integrated,
are nothing short of astonishingly meticulous.

Damn, some of these post-game puzzles are too hard to be fun. There is one puzzle
that is just a bunch of colours, it looks like the panels in the end-game area that were blinking. It's impossible to tell which colour is which. And then there is a pillar puzzle with arrow symbols that I spent over two hours on, which I'm convinced is unsolvable.

You can work out that
colour one pretty easily, actually. You can see the whole left side is yellow, and the bottom row is blue, and you can use this information to follow the colour changes in diagonal lines. Use a bit of paper.

It is waaaay easier than the previous ones of these you saw.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
It pains me so many people will never see
the second ending
lol. I would probably be
bummed if I wouldn't have found it.

Henkka

Banned

Hint for colours:
There are only two colours on that board.

Hint for pillar:
The thing about the arrows is that you should be able to instantly see when you've broken the rule. So move forward slowly. When you break the rule, simply back up and go a different route. Eventually you should be able to get the solution through trial and error.

Top Bottom