• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
So how do I keep track of how many puzzles I've done? I've heard people talking about a cool pause screen but whenever I press Options on PS4 I just get a couple settings and that's it.

Jornax

So I've got
10 out of 11 lasers
activated. The only areas I can think of that I've largely left unsolved are
the town and the shipwreck. I'll be getting those soon enough; this game has taught me that a good night's rest is important above all else. That being said, I'd like to ask a mountaintop/endgame related question.

Mountain:
So I know the puzzle or box at the mountaintop can activate without having all of the lasers, as I visited the place already with only 5 or 6 lasers active (I only had to do a couple more lasers as it appeared to me back then). But does the game progression after that mountaintop puzzle differ depending on whether you've got all the lasers or less than 11?
Ideally I'd only want to go to the mountain when I have my last laser active as well, but if this means missing out on some "oh you nearly got there, but go back and finish up that laser first" moment, or some kind of non-true endgame or something, then I'd rather explore such an experience first before getting my last laser.

Bowlie

Banned
Ideally I'd only want to go to the mountain when I have my last laser active as well, but if this means missing out on some "oh you nearly got there, but go back and finish up that laser first" moment, or some kind of non-true endgame or something, then I'd rather explore such an experience first before getting my last laser.

It does mean that. So do your thing, then come back after having all of them.

You can work out that
colour one pretty easily, actually. You can see the whole left side is yellow, and the bottom row is blue, and you can use this information to follow the colour changes in diagonal lines. Use a bit of paper.

It is waaaay easier than the previous ones of these you saw.

Thanks. Got it now.
I had realized that the panel would be unsolvable unless there were only two colours. I didn't feel confident that all of the left and bottom lines were one colour each, and didn't want to spend hours working from an incorrect assumption. I didn't think that was very easy to see actually. The hint about diagonal lines wad very useful. I thought the previous ones were much easier though. When they were flashing different colours I found it easy to see which squares blinked in unison.

Hint for colours:
There are only two colours on that board.

Hint for pillar:
The thing about the arrows is that you should be able to instantly see when you've broken the rule. So move forward slowly. When you break the rule, simply back up and go a different route. Eventually you should be able to get the solution through trial and error.

Yeah I know. The hard part for is finding a path that satisfies all the requirements. My problem is the
line in the middle with fields with one triangle. Satisfying the requirements for that one takes up a lot of space, which gives me too little space to satisfy the two-triangle fields at the bottom.
I'll try some more though.

Edit: I'm so stupid. Seeing it today the second one was piss easy. That's how much difference fresh eyes can do. Just got it immediately after realizing that one of the assumptions I had made about how to do it was totally unnecessary and stupid. For some reason I had assumed that the only way to satisfy
the line in the middle with fields with one triangle was to go up between two, go two steps to the side tben go down between two others, then two more to the side and then up again. This way was impossible. But of course you don't have to do it that way.
Can't believe I was stuck on that for so long :/

Phear

So, what do i have to do after i'm through the first time?

After that Island Fly By i'm back at the beginnig. Should i go from there and do everything again? Should i load an old save? What am i looking for? Got all 11 Lasers, but not many of the +xx Puzzles.. Do i need to find and solve these for the "real" ending? Am i looking for something completely different? Please give me a hint GAF.

So, what do i have to do after i'm through the first time?

After that Island Fly By i'm back at the beginnig. Should i go from there and do everything again? Should i load an old save? What am i looking for? Got all 11 Lasers, but not many of the +xx Puzzles.. Do i need to find and solve these for the "real" ending? Am i looking for something completely different? Please give me a hint GAF.

Load an old save. Did you see that panel on the floor before the elevator?

Question about a late game puzzle:
I'm at the end of the mountain area where you exit out by the water. On the right set of columns, the second to last one, is it really possible to draw a single line that goes through every dot? Why are there three circles to start from? I feel like I'm missing a clue..

Bowlie

Banned
I'm at the end of the mountain area where you exit out by the water. On the right set of columns, the second to last one, is it really possible to draw a single line that goes through every dot? Why are there three circles to start from? I feel like I'm missing a clue..

There's no hidden trick there, it's possible.

Frith

of corse its possible, and the reason there are three is that only one is possible and a lot of the puzzle is working out which one (but thats been true many times before)

of corse its possible, and the reason there are three is that only one is possible and a lot of the puzzle is working out which one (but thats been true many times before)
I just managed to solve it actually and the center one is trivially possible to start from with the same solution. I think it's there as a red herring because it got me thinking about whether it was a mirror puzzle.

Halp guys, I've been stuck here for 2 hours, any hints?

http://abload.de/img/witness174rib.jpg

Thanks!

Quite a simple one, really. Or at least you'll think it was once you've done it!

You've got the same amount of blue blocks as yellow ones.

So you just need to work out how to make the correct shapes to "cancel out" each of the yellow shapes.

Once you know which pieces go together, you only need to split the grid in two.

I dont see anything.

Right before the door tonthe room. With the pillars is a statue with a panel, but its black. Do you mean that?

Yep!

There's a way to activate it.

Back at the top of the mountain.

EXPLICIT:
Underneath the box on the top of the mountain...

Ending spoiler:
On the PC, is the game supposed to quit me back to the desktop after the flyby at the end? I just finished it for the first time.

This puzzle is easier than you might be thinking.
Remember that the blue squares can't be rotated, so some of them can only fit in only one of the yellow blocks.

Quite a simple one, really. Or at least you'll think it was once you've done it!

You've got the same amount of blue blocks as yellow ones.

So you just need to work out how to make the correct shapes to "cancel out" each of the yellow shapes.

Once you know which pieces go together, you only need to split the grid in two.

Godamn, got it, thank you guys

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have a question about endings.

I just turned on my 7th laser so I can now go into the
mountain
. Should I go straight in and beat the game to see what the game has for me now, or should I just turn on every laser first and go from there?

Crispy75

I have a question about endings.

I just turned on my 7th laser so I can now go into the
mountain
. Should I go straight in and beat the game to see what the game has for me now, or should I just turn on every laser first and go from there?

You can go ahead and beat the game. When you do, there will be a save game you can reload that is right before the ending and you can backtrack out and carry on playing.

After beating the game, you'll be encouraged to do something. It might seem pointless, but is worth doing if just for a little while.

So uhhh why did people repeteadly tell me
those random triangle puzzles on the floor were a tutorial of sorts for the endgame
and now i have finished the game and
have never seen any actual puzzles with those triangles? Is it something on the challenge?

Made a crazy amount of progress today. Solved about 100 more puzzles (not even counting the + ones) and turned on 7 more lasers (thereby finishing those up, as far as I can tell).

But I'm wondering if I screwed myself by solving a puzzle maybe before the game thought I could...

Inside the
mountain
after getting past the first big room, you head down what kinda looks like a mine shaft. There's an elevator there, but you can't get to it until after passing the next big, white room. But if you try just the right spot, you can activate and solve the puzzle, sending the elevator down. Unlike in the greenhouse/bunker, the elevator doesn't seem to come back if you're going to be stranded. I'm wondering if there is a way to call the elevator back up while on the top platform, or will it just come fetch me when I get to the platform?

I'm just worried because my previous save file is from 86 puzzles ago. (And the save file before that one is 1 puzzle earlier. wth, game?) My worrying about this is taking all the fun out of the
seizure
puzzles. Kappa

Oh my god. Just beat
the challenge room. Stood up and shouted out yes as I lucked out on the final pillar - it had one white square at the bottom, with a few other black squares.

Felt as good as beating Martyr Logarius - actually, I think there are a lot of similarities in the design philosophies between this and the Souls series, like how you're not told anything and expected to work out the rules as you go. Great game!

wouwie

I took a break from The Witness to play Unravel but i restarted today and reached the end. I'm at 406 + 35 and still have a few lasers to go. In total, i cheated on one puzzle (which turned out to be really easy but i wasn't seeing it) and got a tip on another one.

Has there been any discussion about the ending? I didn't understand any of it and it didn't seem to add anything to the game? I have the feeling i'm missing something. Why was i there? Maybe solving the remaining puzzles will make it clearer? I reloaded my savegame and i look forward to continue playing and hopefully solve more of the remaining puzzles.

All in all, it's been a long time since i have been so addicted to a game as i was with The Witness. I never felt bored and i rarely felt frustrated while playing and whenever i stopped playing, i couldn't wait to get back to the game. As such, i consider it amongst my alltime favourite games and a classic amongst puzzle games, a GOTY contender and a confirmation that Blow is amongst the best game developers out there. Braid was fantastic and this was, dare i say, even better and well worth the long wait.

LeBart

So uhhh why did people repeteadly tell me
those random triangle puzzles on the floor were a tutorial of sorts for the endgame
and now i have finished the game and
have never seen any actual puzzles with those triangles? Is it something on the challenge?

Keep looking around. Here are some vague hints:
Hint 1:
to advance, you will need to look at something you've already seen from a new perspective.
Hint 2:
is there a cable that isn't lit up somewhere on the island?
Hint 3:
try to remember the statues you've see during the game, and what they were holding.
Hint 4:
mountain.
Hint 5:
top.

Has there been any discussion about the ending? I didn't understand any of it and it didn't seem to add anything to the game? I have the feeling i'm missing something. Why was i there? Maybe solving the remaining puzzles will make it clearer?

I wouldn't say "clearer", but you still have a lot to discover. ;)

KeRaSh

Fuck yes! Platinum achieved! Took me a few sessions for the final trophy but I had a few minutes of spare time and got it on my first try.
I got lucky in the maze. The first panel was right at the start and I found the second one right away without memorizing the location. Managed to solve the pillars with half of the second song remaining. Feels great! I also got lucky with the two sets of three puzzles. Got the correct one immediately and they were very obvious.

Postgame: Fuck The
Challenge. I don't think I can ever make it. I'm really bad at figuring out which of the colour panels is l possible so I always lose a lot of time there. Should probably spend some time thinking about a few symbol combinations that should always be impossible, so I can discard a panel immediately when I see them. I always lose so much time there. On a relatively good run, I'll move on to the maze when the second song starts. And I never get farther than that. On half my attempts I can't even find a panel before time's up. And when I do, I never manage to beat them. I know the rules for the triangle symbols. I just find it difficult to apply them without running out of space. It doesn't fucking help that I Bergakungens Sal really stresses me out.

I really fucking hope there aren't several panels in the maze and that they don't throw in a few impossible ones which you have to ignore like they do for the colour panels just before.

I'm fucked :(

KeRaSh

Quick question about the credits:

When you walk through the caves there is a second turntable. Can you reach it and if yes does it do something?

Bowlie

Banned
Quick question about the credits:

When you walk through the caves there is a second turntable. Can you reach it and if yes does it do something?

It is the same, or at least alluding to the turntable in the challenge. If you go back there and look upwards you'll see the same hanging lanterns where you were in the credits caves.

rebonack

Okay, I finished the endgame and saw the
secret credits area
. Now I'm back in my main game, and I've
activated the puzzle on the box the statues are holding at the mountaintop. The puzzle it turns on, which I assume starts the Challenge, has a bunch of triangles. I've found some of those throughout the world, but they've never been explicitly tutorialized. I've tried some of those, and they seem to get solved but I have no idea what the rule is. Do I want to go back and do those first and it will teach me the rule, or is this puzzle in the mountain going to teach me how to solve those?

Okay, I finished the endgame and saw the
secret credits area
. Now I'm back in my main game, and I've
activated the puzzle on the box the statues are holding at the mountaintop. The puzzle it turns on, which I assume starts the Challenge, has a bunch of triangles. I've found some of those throughout the world, but they've never been explicitly tutorialized. I've tried some of those, and they seem to get solved but I have no idea what the rule is. Do I want to go back and do those first and it will teach me the rule, or is this puzzle in the mountain going to teach me how to solve those?

Go back! You'll need to work out the rule.

Hint -
it's not the symbol, but the number

Challenge. I don't think I can ever make it. I'm really bad at figuring out which of the colour panels is l possible so I always lose a lot of time there. Should probably spend some time thinking about a few symbol combinations that should always be impossible, so I can discard a panel immediately when I see them. I always lose so much time there. On a relatively good run, I'll move on to the maze when the second song starts. And I never get farther than that. On half my attempts I can't even find a panel before time's up. And when I do, I never manage to beat them. I know the rules for the triangle symbols. I just find it difficult to apply them without running out of space. It doesn't fucking help that I Bergakungens Sal really stresses me out.

I really fucking hope there aren't several panels in the maze and that they don't throw in a few impossible ones which you have to ignore like they do for the colour panels just before.

Finding the panels in the maze is not a matter of luck.

Two patterns that signal impossible color panels: a 2x2 square of 2 alternating colors, and a 2x2 square containing 3 different colors.

The triangle symbols are seriously tough at this point since you're probably still not used to them. Have you found the two triangle panels that open doors leading out of the underground tunnels? Those at least offer some practice.

I finally reached
523 +88 +0
. Doesn't quite feel like the home stretch yet...

KeRaSh

It is the same, or at least alluding to the turntable in the challenge. If you go back there and look upwards you'll see the same hanging lanterns where you were in the credits caves.

That much was clear, but if you look out the other side you can see a different one.

Edit about the post above me:

I love the triangle puzzles! They're probably my favorite kind of puzzle in the game.

wouwie

Just so i know if i'm looking in the right direction:
3rd maze, should i look at the orange strips? Seems like the only unique thing in that maze. The whole monastery area seems the one i have most difficulty with as i have only solved 2 mazes so far and nothing else.

mclem

Just so i know if i'm looking in the right direction:
3rd maze, should i look at the orange strips? Seems like the only unique thing in that maze. The whole monastery area seems the one i have most difficulty with as i have only solved 2 mazes so far and nothing else.

You're going to need a more precise description of which puzzle you're on, there. I have half an idea, but don't want to say anything until I'm certain it's the right one.

wouwie

You're going to need a more precise description of which puzzle you're on, there. I have half an idea, but don't want to say anything until I'm certain it's the right one.

It's maze nr. 3. Maze 2 was the one with the vegetation on the ground and you had to pick the clean path. Maze 1 was the one with the gates. I think you can't change the order in which you solve the mazes.

Bowlie

Banned
That much was clear, but if you look out the other side you can see a different one.

I can't remember exactly, but I thought it was the same one from a different angle, (endgame spoilers)
which is impossible but that hotel doesn't make sense physically anyways

Finding the panels in the maze is not a matter of luck.

Two patterns that signal impossible color panels: a 2x2 square of 2 alternating colors, and a 2x2 square containing 3 different colors.

The triangle symbols are seriously tough at this point since you're probably still not used to them. Have you found the two triangle panels that open doors leading out of the underground tunnels? Those at least offer some practice.

I'll check your tip about
what patterns signal an impossible panel if I get desperate. Interesting about the maze. I think I have an idea I'll try it when I get home.

Par Score

Sorry if I'm behind the times on this, but I've been on blackout until I could get a chance to play.

I finally got started today, solved a couple of puzzles and then
had to sit through like a 10 minute unskippable first-person FMV of someone stumbling around an office / house? And then the game crashed?

I restarted and I'm back in the first garden, but that's a really weird way to start a game! I guess I wasn't expecting, well, I don't know what I was expecting?

Excited to keep going :)
Even if that FMV did drag on a little, mysterious though!

Crispy75

Sorry if I'm behind the times on this, but I've been on blackout until I could get a chance to play.

I finally got started today, solved a couple of puzzles and then
had to sit through like a 10 minute unskippable first-person FMV of someone stumbling around an office / house? And then the game crashed?

I restarted and I'm back in the first garden, but that's a really weird way to start a game! I guess I wasn't expecting, well, I don't know what I was expecting?

Excited to keep going :)
Even if that FMV did drag on a little, mysterious though!
Definitely a crash. That video is not for the beginning if the game.

sinxtanx

Soooo close to 100%

just gotta find all remaining audio tapes and then one last puzzle (that I know of)

this game has been one great ride

Just finished up the + puzzles. Had quite a bit of trouble finding the last three. Completion wise I'm now sitting at
522 + 135 + 6
, so I must have missed a panel somewhere. Can't be bothered to go look for it though.
Quite satisfied that I managed to do it all on my own, but I'm torn on the + puzzles. A lot of them were really cool, especially the ones that me made you reconsider previous solutions. But there was also a lot of tedious searching involved, akin to pixel hunting in old adventure games.

So I've bought the game and have been playing through the puzzles for the past hour or two. I'm liking it, though I find that the puzzles in the
sand
area are the worst so far. Same shit, requires less thought than it
requires time to find the right moment and the right time
. Still fairly easy, but not very enjoyable

I agree, those were my least favorite puzzles in the game. Quite tedious.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

I'm fucked :(

One thing that helped me was
muting the ingame music, and putting something on that relaxes you or that you're comfortable with. You don't need the ingame music. When you're on a good run, you'll know.

danthefan

Ok I don't think I get the rules of tetris.

I've done a big chunk of the Marsh, I'm in one of the basements doing puzzles with the blue outline blocks. Do these have to cancel a yellow block or can you have them on their own? I'm on one puzzle where the grid is 4x4 and I've only two yellow blocks in it and everything is quite spread out, not seeing how I can group things.

Top Bottom