• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Alright, beat the game and I have a couple of questions:

1) How the hell do you solve the blue light upstairs room puzzles in the Town? I solved the middle one basically by guessing colours, but the other two are significantly more complex and I can't see how you would guess it with a ton of trial and error.

The blue light can be swtiched to red or green by solving the center puzzle in different ways. Use this to solve the other puzzles.

2) Regarding
environmental
line puzzles, found and solved a few throughout the game. I realize they are related to those black structures throughout the island. I found a few like
a broken yellow structure
near the beginning,
the rail tracks
in the Quarry, and
some clouds including a dark one in the sky
that I could not seem to solve, just not able to properly draw the line. Unsure why, I realize it can sometimes be more complex like with the yellow paint
while riding the boat

Some of these are really absurd. They're all over the place. I've heard that they don't do anything other than just fun things to look for, but I don't know that for a fact. I definitely haven't found all of them yet.

3) Are the honeycomb solutions necessary for anything more than
watching videos
? Found a couple, tried all except one that I found (was nearing the end and didn't feel like sitting through it). I seem to have missed a couple.

Not that I'm aware of, but I'm still missing one of these my self.

4) What is up with the shipwreck area? I was able to make my way onto it and found
one environmental puzzle
but that's it.

There are a ton of
environmental puzzles on it.
Look around it a bit more. Ride the boat around it. There's also a
locked door that has a honeycomb puzzle solution in it.

Edit: Also any hints about finding 'The Challenge' that is present in the achievements and I've seen some folks talking about?

You have to activate all of the lasers before you can do this. I just turned the last one on last night and I think I just found the challenge itself, but I haven't attempted it yet.

illusionary

Congrats! :D

Cheers! I think it'll take me a while to get In the Hall of the Mountain King out of my head, though...

Now then, with 499+13 puzzles solved, I think that I may call it a day, given that, AFAIK, there's no way readily to identify which on the non-environmental puzzles I've not yet solved (unless I've missed something that might help here?).

Cheers! I think it'll take me a while to get In the Hall of the Mountain King out of my head, though...

Now then, with 499+13 puzzles solved, I think that I may call it a day, given that, AFAIK, there's no way readily to identify which on the non-environmental puzzles I've not yet solved (unless I've missed something that might help here?).

You can find one type of commonly missed puzzle by
referring to the lake.

Aside from those, here are all the puzzles I can think of that are basically optional:

Sequence of puzzles at the bottom of symmetry island
Upper-level quarry puzzles and activating the quarry elevator
The second panel in the keep tower after activating the first
Large tetris puzzle in marsh
RGB lighting puzzles in the town
All three control panels in the secret cave elevator
All exits out of the secret cave, and all other shortcut doors
All six vaults containing video solutions, plus the solution found in the seventh vault

GlamFM

Banned
RMSxdMt.png

FerranMG

Just finished the game.
Pretty cool ride, although after some comments I read about the game, I was expecting something more mindblowing.
Question about what to do now:
I guess I should reload my last save and keep working on more puzzles and mysteries?
The fact that once the game is over it leads you to start a new game has left me confused. :/

Was there already a PC-patch concerning this matter? Did it work and does it come to consoles aswell? Sorry i didnt follow the game lately.

Yeah, they added features like a FOV-slider, an optional reticle, a vignette-setting and controller sensitivity settings. There is a supposed PS4-patch incoming but it isn't known whether these things will be included or when it will be up.

I guess I should reload my last save and keep working on more puzzles and mysteries?
The fact that once the game is over it leads you to start a new game has left me confused. :/

A lot of people are confused it seems, but it makes sense why they encourage a new playthrough. You will look at things very differently the second time you're going through it, and you will probably find new stuff and realize things you didn't realize before.

There's nothing wrong with loading the last save though. Whatever you choose to do you can just focus on exploring and look for puzzles/audiologs you haven't found yet.

Easy_G

Just finished the game.
Pretty cool ride, although after some comments I read about the game, I was expecting something more mindblowing.
Question about what to do now:

It depends on how far you got in your current save, but I'd say definitely run around in the new game for a while just to see how differently you approach early game puzzles now.

Afterwards, yeah, go back to your last save and keep exploring.
there's still more to do. Did you get all 11 lasers? Even after that there is still more to do, but it's really hard to give specifics.

FerranMG

A lot of people are confused it seems, but it makes sense why they encourage a new playthrough. You will look at things very differently the second time you're going through it, and you will probably find new stuff and realize things you didn't realize before.

There's nothing wrong with loading the last save though. Whatever you choose to do you can just focus on exploring and look for puzzles/audiologs you haven't found yet.

It depends on how far you got in your current save, but I'd say definitely run around in the new game for a while just to see how differently you approach early game puzzles now.

Afterwards, yeah, go back to your last save and keep exploring.
there's still more to do. Did you get all 11 lasers? Even after that there is still more to do, but it's really hard to give specifics.

Thanks.

Can anybody give me a hint about how to solve the puzzle before entering
the caves
at the bottom of
the mountain
the one that you can do after activating the 11 lasers. There's a guy sitting with a pencil in his right hand.

the caves
at the bottom of
the mountain
the one that you can do after activating the 11 lasers. There's a guy sitting with a pencil in his right hand.

I assume you've found a few similar puzzles before? Did you solve those, and if so, did you find any kind of pattern?

If you want to find out for yourself, I suggest experimenting with them a bit.

If you want some hints:

-
the number of triangles are key for solving each puzzle
-
the number of triangles are correlated to the line somehow

JesseZao

Thanks.

the caves
at the bottom of
the mountain

Do you know the rule for the triangles? You should have seen them before.

lt519

This is what this game does to you, playing at midnight scribbling notes in the dark so you don't wake the fiance. I have dozens. Dozens of these!

I just can't help but think of the missed opportunity with the Wii U here. Being able to draw, take notes, etc, on a Gamepad would have been absolutely amazing.

edit: shit i just realized this could be used to cheat on
the challenge
lol. don't do it!

That's pretty cool! Pains me people will use that and rest mode to do it thought. Try try try again and you get progressively better at solving puzzles in this game, it's definitely a learned skill.

Easy_G

This is what this game does to you, playing at midnight scribbling notes in the dark so you don't wake the fiance. I have dozens. Dozens of these!

I just can't help but think of the missed opportunity with the Wii U here. Being able to draw, take notes, etc, on a Gamepad would have been absolutely amazing.

That's pretty cool! Pains me people will use that and rest mode to do it thought. Try try try again and you get progressively better at solving puzzles in this game, it's definitely a learned skill.

Dude, screenshots are the way to go! I'm constantly taking screenshots with the ps4.

ghibli99

What a game! Just got the town and quarry lasers, and I swear my brain is now bigger. LOL Some of the
environmental puzzles
make me gasp in excitement as I discover them. This game is seriously going to ruin pretty much all other puzzle games for a while. This is just too good, and easily a GOTY contender.

GhaleonEB

So, I'm in the first floor of the greenhouse, trying to solve this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbjZ1fpUMAEgEom.jpg

I've been trying for the better part of two weeks.

Here's what I think I need to do:
Separate the dots, as seen through the window, into pairs. The colors as seen in normal view don't matter.

Is that correct? I've had this diagrammed on paper all this time, trying to draw it out, and can't separate
the cluster of eight dots into pairs.
Is the solution found in that conventional way, or is there some twist I'm not understanding?

I have eight pages of graph paper notes, and ~30 shapes cut from graph paper for solving the block puzzles. Loving how this has forced me into old school noodling. Figuring out what the hexagonal paths meant was fantastic - followed by a mad dash to sketch them out exactly that way. I have three found so far.

GavinGT

Banned
So, I'm in the first floor of the greenhouse, trying to solve this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbjZ1fpUMAEgEom.jpg

I've been trying for the better part of two weeks.

Separate the dots, as seen through the window, into pairs. The colors as seen in normal view don't matter.

Is that correct? I've had this diagrammed on paper all this time, trying to draw it out, and can't separate
Is the solution solved in that conventional way, or is there some twist I'm not understanding?

Suns need to be separated into pairs, dots just need to be separated by color.

Is the solution found in that conventional way, or is there some twist I'm not understanding?

Those aren't stars.

GhaleonEB

Pretty much. LOL So many of those moments in this game.
Yeah. This was the biggest face-palm I've had so far. Good lord. :lol

Solved two and got stuck at the third, but hey. Progress.

Have you finished the treehouse area yet? I seem to recall the star tutorials are there.
My problem was, I went from solving the treehouse area to the greenhouse, so it had been a long time since I did anything with the squares - and carried over the recognition of the colors from the treehouse, but forgot the meaning of the shapes. $%#@

hesido

Yeah. This was the biggest face-palm I've had so far. Good lord. :lol

Solved two and got stuck at the third, but hey. Progress.

My problem was, I went from solving the treehouse area to the greenhouse, so it had been a long time since I did anything with the squares - and carried over the recognition of the colors from the treehouse, but forgot the meaning of the shapes. $%#@

Btw, about star rules, you should keep in mind: Hint level 1, reminder of a rule without telling what it is:
do remember the rule when there's only one star and not a pair like you'd expect.
, Hint level 2, when you may need to resort to that rule:
And keep this in mind when trying to pair with another "matching star" that does not seem possible at all.
Hint level 3, the rule itself:
You do not need to pair a star, with necessarily a star.

so, the 6 solutions under the windmill:
i don't have the 4th one yet, but those are clearly sexual "Drawings" right? a penis, a nipple, a sperm, etc etc???

mattp

What a game! Just got the town and quarry lasers, and I swear my brain is now bigger. LOL Some of the
environmental puzzles make me gasp in excitement as I discover them.
This game is seriously going to ruin pretty much all other puzzle games for a while. This is just too good, and easily a GOTY contender.

hey you might wanna spoiler tag that

ta9qi

post game spoilers
after finishing the game i returned to the last save file and opened the other secret path in the mountain, and right now im solving the puzzles there (is it the same from person to person?) + i dont know if its related to what called the challenge -feel so lost-
http://i.imgur.com/f5Oqe6a.jpg
help :( , unless theres something im not aware of, this is the last puzzle there.

mclem

post game spoilers
after finishing the game i returned to the last save file and opened the other secret path in the mountain, and right now im solving the puzzles there (is it the same from person to person?)
help :( , unless theres something im not aware of, this is the last puzzle there.

Stepwise hints:

This puzzle is not as difficult as it might first appear.

It's also not as complicated as it might first appear.

There are far fewer different colours than may be apparent

You can use the very left and bottom edges - the 'solid' bits - to get an understanding for the baseline colours

You can use the background of a square to help with figuring out what's really going on

The background gradient runs diagonally; squares with the same background colour in a diagonal line will have the same effect on the dots within them

Two squares next to one another will have little difference between the dot colours if they're the same colour, because it's only a gradual change. If two squares next to one another have a big difference between colours, they are different.

That ought to be enough information to draw out an 'unblemished' version of the chart

Randdalf

I know it's not as complicated as some of the big AAA games coming out nowdays, but the Witness is impressively technically solid. I've never crashed, experienced any frame rate issues, no bugs to speak of except the audio issues on the first day. I know some people with specific graphics cards have had issues, but those sorts of things are hard to capture pre-launch.

It's not really that surprising considering some of the programming talent behind it (and that it's also a small team), but either way, in a time when nearly every big game seems to launch broken or with big technical issues, the Witness stands out.

Easy_G

I know it's not as complicated as some of the big AAA games coming out nowdays, but the Witness is impressively technically solid. I've never crashed, experienced any frame rate issues, no bugs to speak of except the audio issues on the first day. I know some people with specific graphics cards have had issues, but those sorts of things are hard to capture pre-launch.

It's not really that surprising considering some of the programming talent behind it (and that it's also a small team), but either way, in a time when nearly every big game seems to launch broken or with big technical issues, the Witness stands out.

Yep, on ps4 the performance and stability was fantastic. More surprising because based on their blog it seems they only had one, maybe two testers at most. I do think that the limited scope and abilities of the player help keep things manageable though.

ta9qi

Stepwise hints:

This puzzle is not as difficult as it might first appear.

It's also not as complicated as it might first appear.

There are far fewer different colours than may be apparent

You can use the very left and bottom edges - the 'solid' bits - to get an understanding for the baseline colours

You can use the background of a square to help with figuring out what's really going on

The background gradient runs diagonally; squares with the same background colour in a diagonal line will have the same effect on the dots within them

Two squares next to one another will have little difference between the dot colours if they're the same colour, because it's only a gradual change. If two squares next to one another have a big difference between colours, they are different.

That ought to be enough information to draw out an 'unblemished' version of the chart
many Thanks, just completed it..still hate this type of puzzles @@
now after finishing all the puzzles in the place (i guess)
i opened a door with a red tetris puzzle, but nothing i can do there? i think its the beginning of the challenge..but how can i activate it?

post game spoilers
after finishing the game i returned to the last save file and opened the other secret path in the mountain, and right now im solving the puzzles there (is it the same from person to person?) + i dont know if its related to what called the challenge -feel so lost-

I'm gonna guess that's a camera shot? Your colors look very off! With colors like that it will probably be a lot harder.

It should rather look something like this.

Gurrry

I finished the game last night. Fantastic stuff. Blow really is a genius.

I ended up watching the giant bomb sit down with him and even though it showed me some things I didnt know, I still think theres alot left to discover.
I dont think the challenge is really for me, but maybe one day ill check it out.

Easy_G

many Thanks, just completed it..still hate this type of puzzles @@
now after finishing all the puzzles in the place (i guess)
i opened a door with a red tetris puzzle, but nothing i can do there? i think its the beginning of the challenge..but how can i activate it?

Starting the challenge is obvious, so I don't think you're actually there. Where does the door you opened lead?

To get to the challenge area there is a
column with a triangle puzzle on it

Henkka

Banned
heavy spoilers btw
Critique from The New Inquiry writer Liz Ryerson
does veer off into broader topics of abuse, diversity and celebrity in games but raises some interesting points about the contradictions in the game's shallow narrative and design purity.

This kind of feels like a word salad. For example:

Its vague complexity is dark and thorny only to the extent that the dark thorniness lets players feel they’ve achieved some sort of revelation, after which they are done with it.

Uh, what? Maybe I'm just too dumb to get it. The author's take on the meaning behind the game is interesting, though. I couldn't read the spoilery bits because I'm not quite done with the game.

heavy spoilers btw
Critique from The New Inquiry writer Liz Ryerson
does veer off into broader topics of abuse, diversity and celebrity in games but raises some interesting points about the contradictions in the game's shallow narrative and design purity.

Good read, thanks. She seemed to have a problem with the world feeling fake, mentioning its dissonance multiple times. That is odd to me because that is
clearly intentional considering we know it is fake construction even if you didn't find the credits ending that flat out says it is virtual, but when you get inside the mountain it makes it clear it is all a constructed facade. Fine if she didn't like that, but it came across more like she missed the point, rather than delivering any worthwhile critique there.

I read over her points about Corrypt again as I am conflicted about it. Some of my favorite music albums sound like hell because they were recorded using cheap equipment in their bedroom, or similar, and that gives it a very personal touch that I would not want any other way. The argument of encouraging an appetite of more personal work is one I agree with. On the other hand Corrypt looks like hell to me because it does a lot of bad pixel art tropes like shitty step gradients so the advice of maybe it could improve some is not that crazy to me. Maybe it can improve some without losing its identity and personal feel.

Good read, thanks. She seemed to have a problem with the world feeling fake, mentioning its dissonance multiple times. That is odd to me because that is
clearly intentional considering we know it is fake construction even if you didn't find the credits ending that flat out says it is virtual, but when you get inside the mountain it makes it clear it is all a constructed facade. Fine if she didn't like that, but it came across more like she missed the point, rather than delivering any worthwhile critique there.

I think the strike on the game as being a construction of a classist perception of what makes worthwhile, quality, "genius" video game entertainment was fine. But I can't help but think the article misses the point about what the game as a thought experiment actually does to the player.

It's especially disheartening because she actually observes two of the dynamics at play in the game, but then fails to make any effort to draw any kind of connection between them.

For example, she correctly identifies that the game
is intensely aware about how its patterns cross both natural, organic setpieces and manmade, mechanical ones:

Throughout the game, a theme emerges of exposing the deeper connections between the organic environment of the island and the abstract, mechanical world of the puzzle grids. This island, more than anything else, seems to want us to be acutely aware of the design underlying its nature and the nature underlying its design.

But she doesn't turn around and consider that this might itself be the core commentary the game is making:

He aims to convey, unlike your typical video-game designer, an advanced understanding of art and wants his audience to engage in abstract philosophical discussion. And indeed, many elements of The Witness give off an enigmatic, mysterious, multifaceted vibe. The story is mostly nonexistent for the better part of the game, the island is eerily empty, and there’s something that feels ineffably strange. Yet the island is equally designed with commercial accessibility in mind: It’s colorful, attractive, detailed but reasonably generic, and any part of the island can be approached at any time. The constant tension between those two approaches is never fully resolved.

While playing the game, it’s hard to know exactly where Blow wants to place the audience. Because as cultural commentary, the island of The Witness feels pretty … impotent.
Hidden audio logs, read smugly by professional voice actors, use famous quotations to introduce players to concepts like the infinite complexity of the universe, the dangers of cognitive bias in science, Zen Buddhist philosophy, and the role of science vs. art. These quotations often feel arbitrary, not particularly profound even in the game context. Even if they are an optional feature, one wouldn’t expect the logs’ lessons to so widely miss their mark.

If you look even harder, you can find secret codes that unlock video clips you can watch in a theater inside the game’s world. Two clips come from lectures on the value of inner awareness. I enjoyed these videos so much that, paradoxically, they made me all the more aware that I was watching them in an artificial video-game facade of a movie theater. If the game is telling me to pay close attention, then I can’t help but notice how hollow and constructed everything in its world really feels, in spite of its constantly trying to assert itself as some kind of symbolic representation of our own world.

The core commentary of the game is that each person experiences a symbolic representation of the real world. In fact, our experience of the world is only made up of symbolic representations. We see light reflected off objects, not the objects themselves. We hear vibrations that pass through the air and enter our eardrums, not the thoughts and actions and events we associate with those vibrations. We use these images and sounds to create pictures of what we believe the world is like, but they are images and sounds, they are not "the world," so to speak. etc. etc.

We constantly examine the patterns we discover through our observations. Some of them appear to be consistent with phenomenon in the real world, and deepen our understanding of it. But not every pattern says something about our understanding of the world, and not everyone can even agree on what the patterns mean (or don't mean!). We're still predisposed to see them, because we learn and grow our understanding through observation, experimentation, and discovery.

The island is a manifestation of this. The puzzles obviously have and follow consistent, rational rules. The environmental puzzles likewise, although they're often detected through intuitive awareness of your surroundings and the abstract connections that can be drawn between elements in the environment rather than a formalized, ever-growing understanding of pattern rules.

But then there are many patterns, images, and sounds scattered across the island that simply may have meaning. Do they really have a meaning, though? Or are we simply trying to see one, because when we create we do so with design and purpose in mind? The Witness is not trying to resolve this question. It is just trying to make us aware of it; it is trying to teach us to understand our own way of thinking, to make us deliberately uncomfortable.

It's telling that the game variably throws religious and scientific/rational philosophy at us, and both help us interpret the meanings of and solutions to the puzzles. But outside of that realm of defined meaning, we can't say how helpful those tools are or will be, nor which is the more helpful.

I think the strike on the game as being a construction of a classist perception of what makes worthwhile, quality, "genius" video game entertainment was fine. But I can't help but think the article misses the point about what the game as a thought experiment actually does to the player.

The way I read it, the author of the article would probably dismiss thought experiments as shallow and privileged.

The criticism boils down to The Witness failing to provoke any difficult questions about the world and the culture that created it - questions that would make us uncomfortable. That Jonathan Blow did not intend to make the game be about asking those kinds of questions would just fall under the same criticism.

The way I read it, the author of the article would probably dismiss thought experiments as shallow and privileged.

The criticism boils down to The Witness failing to provoke any difficult questions about the world and the culture that created it - questions that would make us uncomfortable. That Jonathan Blow did not intend to make the game be about asking those kinds of questions would just fall under the same criticism.

If by "world and culture that created it," you're referring to the privilege structures that let a white male self-styled auteur make a "genius" game... yeah, I'd say you're absolutely right. And even if you don't expect games to ask those kinds of questions, The Witness definitely reinforces presumptions about quality and worthwhile-ness that reproduce those privilege structures, so it's not really groundbreaking (or meaningful) at all in that sense - it's regressive, in fact.

Top Bottom