• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Crispy75

He hasn't
activated all the lasers yet so this might not be useful advice. There is no way he would have the information he needs to do what you are suggesting. He should reload his last save and finish all the areas. ALL the areas.
Oh! I didn't realise this was an all-lasers thing. My bad!

Kerned

Banned
it isn't!

The specific solution for the that gate that turns the beacon on, allowing the environmental puzzle with the sun to be solved - it is located in the caves, which can only be accessed after all lasers are activated. Sure, you could input it randomly, but it's unlikely.
Maybe I am missing something, or not understanding what is being referenced here.

The specific solution for the that gate that turns the beacon on, allowing the environmental puzzle with the sun to be solved - it is located in the caves, which can only be accessed after all lasers are activated. Sure, you could input it randomly, but it's unlikely.
Maybe I am missing something, or not understanding what is being referenced here.

The original person said they started the game over which means
the gate is reset back to white and the part you are talking about isn't necessary.....yet.

Kerned

Banned
The original person said they started the game over which means
the gate is reset back to white and the part you are talking about isn't necessary.....yet.

Oh,
is the glass column lit from the beginning until you solve the gate for the first time? Is the solution in the cave only to reset it to its starting condition? Is that environmental puzzle seriously solvable one minute into the game
??

GhaleonEB

That one is weird in that there are so many ways to think about it.

The pattern among the floors (some people use this to solve it without even looking at the colors)
The colored lights on the different floors (this does require color knowledge)
A clue from somewhere else (the vast majority of people will never notice this; it's almost an easter egg)

(Doing the tail end of the greenhouse area.)

I didn't read this until today, but now that I got one level higher, I was able to get one floor higher by ignoring the colors entirely, and focusing on patterns. I went back and diagrammed the groupings and paths:

2016-02-21%20001_zpsnnblknwm.jpg

Seeing the pattern, I toggled to only the center group, which was the solution. Yay!
Now I'm at the top: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cbwo7_3UcAARPc1.jpg

Is this solvable using the same patterning, or is color recognition required? I might just have to just look up the solution here, as I can't make heads or tails of the
flower beds.

Oh,
is the glass column lit from the beginning until you solve the gate for the first time? Is the solution in the cave only to reset it to its starting condition? Is that environmental puzzle seriously solvable one minute into the game
??

Yep. Some people even found it day one. Crazy, right?

GhaleonEB

Just solve the panel on the elevator

It's what I tried first, and does not work. It's the same pattern as for the level with the broken cord, and illuminates that cord when the solution is entered. Unless there are color differences I cannot see, which is certainly possible.

It's what I tried first, and does not work. It's the same pattern as for the level with the broken cord, and illuminates that cord when the solution is entered. Unless there are color differences I cannot see, which is certainly possible.

Yes, you need to be able to
see the different colours. So since you're colour blind, ask someone to help you with that
. If you can, it's much easier than the previous one
as you can see all the information you need without having to re-interpret it

My progress is now at
523 +99 +0
. It feels like all the low-hanging fruit has been picked.

And I finally saw the
turtle
. Had no idea what anyone was talking about with that until now.

GhaleonEB

Yes, you need to be able to
see the different colours. So since you're colour blind, ask someone to help you with that
. If you can, it's much easier than the previous one
as you can see all the information you need without having to re-interpret it

Thanks. I asked my daughter to come help, and she pointed out the color on the panel I could not see. I could see three, but there were four. Solved, seven beams up.

Going to wait to go into the mountain until I get all 11 up, though. I'm most of the way through three areas - and have not touched the
audio puzzles. I'm so annoyed by them that I'll save them for last. Ug.

Seems like the only people who don't like this game are just salty because it made them feel stupid.

Every single negative 'professional' review of this game I've seen essentially boils down to someone whining about how they couldn't beat it. I think that's pretty telling.

Has anyone seen a negative take from someone who actually finished the game?

besenwesen

Neo Member
I'm somewhat stuck, could need some help.
I have
11 lasers active and managed to do one line at the hilltop. Should i be able to do the other 2 or am i missing something on the island?
Thanks

I have
11 lasers active and managed to do one line at the hilltop. Should i be able to do the other 2 or am i missing something on the island?
Thanks

You can do it.

Has anyone seen a negative take from someone who actually finished the game?

Wired's reviewer has been consistently down on the game even after finishing it. But the criticism boils down to complaining that the game offers no rewards except for scenery to look at and things to think about.

Tanston

How's the motion sickness on the PS4 now has it been fixed? I really wanted to play this but I'm very susceptible to that stuff.

Crispy75

I have
Thanks

They're hard puzzles (and I found the third one especially hard) but totally possible, involving no trickery.

hesido

I'm stuck here. This is bollocks. This seems impossible with my line of thinking, my best solution always have to leave two dots untouched.

https://twitter.com/hesido/status/701536450848935936

I give up and I'm looking for hints, if hinting is at all possible.

Does this one require environmental "help"? Does it benefit from changing your camera view etc.?

Please help this stupid soul.

Bowlie

Banned
I'm stuck here. This is bollocks. This seems impossible with my line of thinking, my best solution always have to leave two dots untouched.

Does this one require environmental "help"? Does it benefit from changing your camera view etc.?

There's no trick to this one iirc. If you can't solve it no matter what, change to a different starting point. Or try doing the path backwards to see what would be the only valid starting point.

took me a while to figure this one out. keep at it

ghibli99

Finished last night, and am currently at 479+82. Lots more to do, and I'm surprised at how much content there still is to do. Truly an amazing game, and I'm sorry for ever hesitating with the $40 price.

If you haven't done so yet, it might help to draw this out on paper, just so you're working with it on a flat plane.

No trick, definitely not environmental. You just need to find the right route. Think about what your constraints are and how to get around them. More detailed hint if you need it:

Some dots are dead ends from most approaches, and require a specific route through them. How can you combine all these routes into one line connecting them all?

I cannot figure out where to start in the bamboo forest. Is that part of the puzzle finding where to start or am I just bad at finding the first panel? Any small hints would be helpful.

Kerned

Banned
I cannot figure out where to start in the bamboo forest. Is that part of the puzzle finding where to start or am I just bad at finding the first panel? Any small hints would be helpful.

It's not that hard to find. I suspect you are maybe only looking inside the enclosed bamboo area, and not just outside of it?

It's not that hard to find. I suspect you are maybe only looking inside the enclosed bamboo area, and not just outside of it?

I feel like I've looked everywhere. I've tried following cables and boxes outside of the bamboo area and I don't see anything lit up. I might just go look it up.

dkeane

I feel like I've looked everywhere. I've tried following cables and boxes outside of the bamboo area and I don't see anything lit up. I might just go look it up.
Just go do something else. You'll get something to solve your problem. This is usually the solution in this game :)

Kerned

Banned
What's the known total puzzle count,
somewhere around 530? I've got 511 +60 and I'm not really sure what I am missing (apart from environmental puzzles of course). I have solved everything I know about. Do alternate solutions count? That could be the difference I suppose.

What's the known total puzzle count,
somewhere around 530? I've got 511 +60 and I'm not really sure what I am missing (apart from environmental puzzles of course). I have solved everything I know about. Do alternate solutions count? That could be the difference I suppose.

The known count is
. When I got to your count I mostly had to track down
the triangle panels I missed

And here is my checklist for commonly missed ones: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=195669395#post195669395

Just go do something else. You'll get something to solve your problem. This is usually the solution in this game :)

I've done almost everything else ;) I looked it up and it was on a path a I've probably walked by many times before. I am bad with directions usually and I just didn't notice it or thought I had already walked there or something.

Finally! Reached
523 +112 +1
. Managed to get more than +20 in one big push today.

That means there are
+23
left. Not a lot, but... where could they be?

I'm still finding audio logs I missed. Sure enough, they keep turning out to be hints for how to think about specific puzzles. Wonder if they would have helped.

mclem

By the way, I just saw this for the first time and it's an amazing run as a whole.

I can't believe
he figures out the tetris rules from seeing them for the first time in the Town.

I guessed them on my first visit to Town, too. Unfortunately, though, I managed to fail to notice that the grid was also a 'touch all the dots' grid, which is why my solution failed. I assumed at the time that was because I'd got the wrong idea about Tetris and left it at that point, but had I spotted the dots side of things I should have been able to open that door. Whether I'd have got much beyond it is another matter!

mclem

You may have heard (through osmosis) from the Giantbomb chat, that he hoped to balanced this out by having a puzzle that only people who are colorblind/color-confused could solve, but had to scrap the idea because of the many variations people have, and the individual gamma and balance of monitors.

It's unfortunate there are puzzles that certain people simply cannot solve through due to biological variance, but the only other compromise for that set would be omission.

Same for (puzzle theme spoilers of the jungle area)
sound puzzles which are impossible for the deaf.

I'd love to see subtitles for them.

"Phwee-eee-ipBAAAAAARP BAAAARP BAAARP"

dLMN8R

Two questions I have, both are very spoilerish. Read at your own risk!

1) Has anyone figured out the deal with the floor puzzles in the cave yet? I read through the entire other story spoiler thread and a few people mentioned them, but no one seems to know what's up. I know they can be solved in different ways, but the fact that they put out sound effects which sound like the previous Mountain puzzles where you were drawing the floor.

2) Outside the Keep, on the path to the shipwreck, there's a couch and what looks like a fairly obvious environmental puzzle. It's reddish/orange colored, and almost pac man shaped. But even when I line it up perfectly it doesn't activate. When it's almost perfect, it gives me the "you're close" indication. Am I missing something about this? If so, feel free to spoil me, I've stared at it long enough now.

Kerned

Banned

1)
2) Outside the Keep, on the path to the shipwreck, there's a couch and what looks like a fairly obvious environmental puzzle. It's reddish/orange colored, and almost pac man shaped. But even when I line it up perfectly it doesn't activate. When it's almost perfect, it gives me the "you're close" indication. Am I missing something about this? If so, feel free to spoil me, I've stared at it long enough now.

That one has me totally stumped as well.
It seems like the ideal vantage point would be seated on the couch.

1) Has anyone figured out the deal with the floor puzzles in the cave yet? I read through the entire other story spoiler thread and a few people mentioned them, but no one seems to know what's up. I know they can be solved in different ways, but the fact that they put out sound effects which sound like the previous Mountain puzzles where you were drawing the floor.

1)
No one has figured out if you can do anything with those. Based on what Blow has said more recently, it sounds like everything in the cave was just cut content from other places, so maybe these were intended to do something but the sound cues weren't removed when they got cut?

2)
I just figured this out today. This is seriously one of the best puzzles in the game, so I'm going to try this:

No amount of lining-up will help with this one. Look to your left. Notice what else is there. Maybe that will help you think about this in a different way.

JesseZao

1. The ones in the "wood room" with a wooden columns in the middle? I've been wondering about those. I figure there has to be a code based on where you exit them, but haven't figured it out. There isn't an immediate reference nearby. Maybe they are connected to the tall room you descend when you enter the mountain.

2. I thought the same, but just moved on after trying a bit. I guess the way to check if it's a valid puzzle would be to reference the area obelisk.

1)
After the patch to the top of the mountain I've settled on the floor puzzles having multiple solutions as difficulty balance more than a hint of anything more. Trying to make the puzzle solvable at more than 1 viewing angle so it doesn't feel too cheap or fidgety. The main problem with the secret cavern in general is there are loads of possibilities but without finding reasons to try things it is brute force and guess work.

Hmm in the log file he links it says the game build date is 1/23/2016.
Looking at my own Witness log file from steam I have the exact same version as him 0.954M 2016/01/23. Not sure what JBlow is talking about

I don't have the PC version so I can't confirm, but wasn't it updated on steam as recently as a few days ago/a week ago? Possible you have updates turned off/paused or something?

JesseZao

1)
After the patch to the top of the mountain I've settled on the floor puzzles having multiple solutions as difficulty balance more than a hint of anything more. Trying to make the puzzle solvable at more than 1 viewing angle so it doesn't feel too cheap or fidgety. The main problem with the secret cavern in general is there are loads of possibilities but without finding reasons to try things it is brute force and guess work.

You should never need to brute force anything. Defeats the entire purpose of the game and you do yourself a disservice.

You shouldn't need to brute force once you get in the mountain especially.

You should never need to brute force anything. Defeats the entire purpose of the game.

I know, I was meaning as far as finding easter eggs. Nobody has found reasons to try more things, like the game teaches, so at this point... it is brute force and guess work, so that is why people aren't trying more stuff there.

I have completed all the puzzles in the secret cavern and the challenge.

Ocaso

Yes you should. You should notice something before you leave the starting "castle" zone.

Explicit:
There is an environmental puzzle at the front gate, it should be very obvious. Solve it.

He hasn't
activated all the lasers yet so this might not be useful advice. There is no way he would have the information he needs to do what you are suggesting. He should reload his last save and finish all the areas. ALL the areas.

Actually
I did notice that puzzle thanks to the nudging. What it reveals was... interesting, I suppose, though it doesn't really give the game any more context or provide any closure.
I'll probably continue at some point, but I do feel all puzzled out at this point. I am curious, will
activating all the lasers alter these events compared to what I have now (6 lasers was the minimum, I believe)? Or are the puzzles just the ends to themselves?

JesseZao

I know, I was meaning as far as finding easter eggs. Nobody has found reasons to try more things, like the game teaches, so at this point... it is brute force and guess work.

Ah. I misunderstood you, then. Yeah, I'm not too concerned about them unless I determine a logical pattern to solve them with.

Actually
I did notice that puzzle thanks to the nudging. What it reveals was... interesting, I suppose, though it doesn't really give the game any more context or provide any closure.
I'll probably continue at some point, but I do feel all puzzled out at this point. I am curious, will
activating all the lasers alter these events compared to what I have now (6 lasers was the minimum, I believe)? Or are the puzzles just the ends to themselves?

As far as anyone knows, nothing you do changes the endings. But activating all the lasers will let you get a little bit of context.

Top Bottom