• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

hesido

Try this:

Cover up one side of the diagonal. How would you do the rest?

Yes, I got it, woot! So easy after you beat it :) Lol.. Thanks guys for the motivation and the subtle hints. I can still call it my solution?

Did the last pillar in that line in seconds btw.

Edit: I finished with not all the lasers, to see an ending. Loading back from last save. Any suggestions?

Frith

Okay,
putting that one on that side was a cruel move.

It's paradoxically sort of "there" but not actually there at the same time. You definitely won't find it by looking in that area, though.

And it has nothing to do with the bridge.

Like Remembrance said, the
general obelisk direction
on that one is kinda bullshit, and so I think it's fair to hint that
it should be a side (or two) to the left - in the clockwise direction around the obelisk
. It's not even like they ran out of room!

Thank you both!
523+135+6
at last

i've looked at that gate a few times from the wrong side i just couldn't believe there was such an obvious curve in the metal i hadn't used and i was so sure it must have been else ware given that the symbol is in between 2 bridge puzzles. thanks for the clues being so vague i don't even feel like i cheated (altho i now see what you did there remembrance if you were hinting at a void, nice)

paulogy

I love all the
spoiler tags
in this thread. I feel like I'm reading a redacted FBI document or something :)

It's a good thing. I want everyone to experience this incredible game with as few things spoiled as possible!

I finished the game
(all 11 lasers + endings + challenge)
last week, but need a little assistance to pick up the last few remaining puzzles I have.

I am trying to do the first puzzle on the ship (sound puzzle) as well as the puzzle that opens the door on the side of the mountain (where I assume there is an answer for one of the puzzles that unlocks a video). Both of these puzzles have colored pentagons in the path that I assume you have to run over in a certain order, since it seems to prevent you from extending the line beyond a certain point if you don't.

I am drawing a blank on how to solve this puzzle type after being away for a week. Not looking for the solution, just want to know if/where on the island there is a tutorial for this type of puzzle.

Any help would be appreciated.

I finished the game
(all 11 lasers + endings + challenge)
last week, but need a little assistance to pick up the last few remaining puzzles I have.

I am trying to do the first puzzle on the ship (sound puzzle) as well as the puzzle that opens the door on the side of the mountain (where I assume there is an answer for one of the puzzles that unlocks a video). Both of these puzzles have colored pentagons in the path that I assume you have to run over in a certain order, since it seems to prevent you from extending the line beyond a certain point if you don't.

I am drawing a blank on how to solve this puzzle type after being away for a week. Not looking for the solution, just want to know if/where on the island there is a tutorial for this type of puzzle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Go back to symmetry island and look at the puzzles you already solved.

Fireflu

Ok I'm at
522 + 135 + 6, missing ONE panel...

I definitely have all the optional panels, the triangle panels, the alternate lift activation panels, etc. So does the 523rd panel come from the magical flying elevator at the very end of the game? I would test it out to check but it will just lock me in and start the ending sequence, making a save automatically.

Am I basically at 100% completion now (before heading into the ending elevator)?

I know the panel in the secret ending doesn't count towards anything but is it actually possible to be walking around the island with a total of 523 completed panels or will it just stay at 522 before going into the ending sequence.
Sorry this has been bugging me for a while now!

Ok I'm at
522 + 135 + 6, missing ONE panel...

I definitely have all the optional panels, the triangle panels, the alternate lift activation panels, etc. So does the 523rd panel come from the magical flying elevator at the very end of the game? I would test it out to check but it will just lock me in and start the ending sequence, making a save automatically.

Am I basically at 100% completion now (before heading into the ending elevator)?

I know the panel in the secret ending doesn't count towards anything but is it actually possible to be walking around the island with a total of 523 completed panels or will it just stay at 522 before going into the ending sequence.
Sorry this has been bugging me for a while now!

Yes, you can walk around with a 523 count and it will reflect on your save. If you've done both endings and then reloaded from both, the panels you solve along the way should already be reflected, so it's got to be something else you're missing.

ghibli99

OMG, I just discovered the
video-based environmental puzzles
. After finishing it and nearly 40 hours in, my mind has been blown once again. It's going to take something truly special to displace this from its current GOTY status.

GhaleonEB

I fear everyone is beating the game, and at my current pace, I'll be at the endgame around this time next year. I'm literally doing low single digit puzzles per day, depiste an ~hour of play time. Tonight, three + puzzles and one panel. Baby...steps....

Dojo question, interior.

I'm at the 3rd
branch perspective puzzle on the interior columns, and for the life of me I cannot get the branches to line up. They either fall perfectly on the maze - which would have been a neat twist, but doesn't work - or are just a jumbled mess. I finally got an angle to thread through, and it's not the right solution:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cb4M04_UcAAhY3P.jpg

It this puzzle just that picky about angles, or is there some totally different twist to it? These are really not good. :\

Afro

we're moving to the Community side in ~48 hours!

4DubAsm.gif

I fear everyone is beating the game, and at my current pace, I'll be at the endgame around this time next year. I'm literally doing low single digit puzzles per day, depiste an ~hour of play time. Tonight, three + puzzles and one panel. Baby...steps....

Same! Will be playing for months.

Dojo question, interior.

I'm at the 3rd
branch perspective puzzle on the interior columns, and for the life of me I cannot get the branches to line up. They either fall perfectly on the maze - which would have been a neat twist, but doesn't work - or are just a jumbled mess. I finally got an angle to thread through, and it's not the right solution:

It this puzzle just that picky about angles, or is there some totally different twist to it? These are really not good. :\

It feels like this thread could go for a long time, Community or not. Newcomers will always need hints, right?

As for the puzzle:
when something fits perfectly in this game, it's usually right.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Dojo question, interior.

I'm at the 3rd

You were right the first time.
But, since the branches cover the path, you'll need to remember/chart it out, then step aside to complete the panel.

Mindlog

It was a great month with the game.

Dojo question, interior.

I'm at the 3rd

I'm always clicking. I enjoyed the game enough that I'll happily continue giving vague/nearly useless hints :]

GhaleonEB

You were right the first time.
But, since the branches cover the path, you'll need to remember/chart it out, then step aside to complete the panel.

Thanks, solved it.

That's...not a good puzzle. At least not in the context of this part of the dojo. The game has mostly been good at introducing concepts, but here it's just a hard toggle to something different without warning after a very long sequence teaching a specific mechanic. It's dropped in without anything to indicate a new mechanic has been introduced - I was trying to follow the rule that was established so far.

And this is not a fun type of puzzle, at all.
Most of this area has been staring at puzzles while moving a few inches to the left or right, then tracing. It's both simple and frustrating.
This definitely feels more like a chore than most other areas (the underground area of the desert is a runner up in that department so far). None have resulted in a fun epiphany, but rather relief I'm closer to being done with them.

I got immediately stuck on the next one as neither mechanic seems to fit, but I'll work on it tomorrow.

Afro

got an idea for the new subtitle.

The Witness |OT2| ●─┘

Puzzles slightly increase in difficulty for every new |OT|.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Thanks, solved it.

That's...not a good puzzle. At least not in the context of this part of the dojo. The game has mostly been good at introducing concepts, but here it's just a hard toggle to something different without warning after a very long sequence teaching a specific mechanic. It's dropped in without anything to indicate a new mechanic has been introduced - I was trying to follow the rule that was established so far.

Most of this area has been staring at puzzles while moving a few inches to the left or right, then tracing. It's both simple and frustrating.
This definitely feels more like a chore than most other areas (the underground area of the desert is a runner up in that department so far). None have resulted in a fun epiphany, but rather relief I'm closer to being done with them.

I got immediately stuck on the next one as neither mechanic seems to fit, but I'll work on it tomorrow.

The way I saw it,
this puzzle is subverting your understanding of another mechanic which took a similar turn elsewhere. Though, I'm not sure if you've been through there yet since I haven't been reading this thread as much the past two weeks, so I don't want to rudely blurt out where it's seen again. It isn't as obvious as seeing a symbol appear and understanding the rules it may or may not invoke, but it's similar in that the game will ask that you recognize the possibility of a mechanic being repeated or turned on its head after it's been introduced. The telltale notch on the lower branch indicating the origin point was the big clue which helped me recognize what was being done for this particular puzzle. Different experiences, I suppose!
I completely agree on the underground segment in the desert. I felt that became more tedious than challenging.

I'm looking forward to your approach for the next one~

hesido

Thanks, solved it.

The twist in mechanic is introduced elsewhere, alongside the "blockage", there's perfect fitting clues. And some even
mix these two up in a single panel.

As soon as an introduced mechanic stops working in a very obvious way, one should be suspecting a new mechanic at play. This is true for a lot of the environmental clues.

I don't find these the best in the game, but I found it fun to try to
line things up in the view
. That said, the worst chore in the game is in the desert beach area, If I don't restart the game from scratch, it's because I don't want to solve those again. The first few times that mechanic is introduced, there's a wow moment, but it drags on for too long, requires timing etc. The most boring part of the game.

GhaleonEB

The twist in mechanic is introduced elsewhere, alongside the "blockage", there's perfect fitting clues. And some even
mix these two up in a single panel.

As soon as an introduced mechanic stops working in a very obvious way, one should be suspecting a new mechanic at play. This is true for a lot of the environmental clues.

In this series of puzzles at least, it was a hard stop / toggle - seven of that variety in a row from inside the room, and then bam, a change with no indication I should be doing something different. I haven't seen anything but this variety of puzzles in this area (been chipping away at it for three weeks). Dunno, I'm just finding this area a chore. I really enjoyed the treetops, marsh, shady trees, quarry and keep, but the puzzling here has gotten less direct - it's more about just finding the right angle and then tracing. I just find them frustrating and finicky.

daxy

Yeah, well, YOU'RE frustrating and finicky. What do have to say about that? :p

I personally didn't have any issues with that particular sequence of puzzles, but the ones in the
jungle
were really tedious for me, because while I could figure out what I needed to do and how to do it
my musical hearing is shit, so I wasn't able to find the solution by myself.
After a while, I found myself just trying random combinations, at which point I decided I might as well look up the solution and move on. There are definitely areas that play to certain people's personal skills and strengths, but also to certain weaknesses. I think it's a testament to the variety in the Witness that a lot of people will name different areas the most difficult, fun, or easy sections of the game.

I'm in love with this game. It's one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played; it might even be my favorite game, but I'll have to let it settle for a while before I know for sure.

Currently at
508, +65
solved. The only things I see left to do are the
challenge
, finding one more of the
"keys" for under the windmill
and, of course, most of the
environmental puzzles

Even though I still have a bit more to do, I'm sad that it's over. The puzzles, the environment, the audio... I wish I could experience it all over again.

Thanks, solved it.

Please report back on the next one. I breezed through all the ones beforehand but the last (?) one I've been stuck on forever now. Keep coming back to it.

Please report back on the next one. I breezed through all the ones beforehand but the last (?) one I've been stuck on forever now. Keep coming back to it.

That one had me (and seemingly lots of other folks) stumped for a pretty long time as well. Spoiler for it:
If only they'd had the break point of the branch be an obvious break point (like the apple tree puzzles earlier on) as opposed to completely nondescript, it would've been fine. Can't imagine why they didn't, other than not wanting to make it as obvious? As it stands, it feels somewhat misleading, and kinda just doesn't make sense - so maybe it's just an oversight in a game with a million things that must be very carefully considered

I definitely had a period where single digit solved sessions was a thing so don't sweat it too much. Just a natural progression as the number of options start to fall.

That one had me (and seemingly lots of other folks) stumped for a pretty long time as well. Spoiler for it:
If only they'd had the break point of the branch be an obvious break point (like the apple tree puzzles earlier on) as opposed to completely nondescript, it would've been fine. Can't imagine why they didn't, other than not wanting to make it as obvious? As it stands, it feels somewhat misleading, and kinda just doesn't make sense - so maybe it's just an oversight in a game with a million things that must be very carefully considered

Yep, agreed. It's the only "bad" puzzle in the game, imo.

It's cool when you find the branch, but the later part is unclear. No rule set (e.g. if you can place it wherever and merge it into other branches, but it turns out you can only merge the way they intended) and no hints from other puzzles.

Yep, agreed. It's the only "bad" puzzle in the game, imo.

It's cool when you find the branch, but the later part is unclear. No rule set (e.g. if you can place it wherever and merge it into other branches, but it turns out you can only merge the way they intended) and no hints from other puzzles.

I know there is an audio log somewhere around there but I haven't found it yet. Could the audio log be the missing hint?

Man, what the hell. Never in a billion years would I have gotten that unless
I by chance looked at the ground.
Maybe that's what they wanted to happen.

Man, what the hell. Never in a billion years would I have gotten that unless
I by chance looked at the ground.
Maybe that's what they wanted to happen.

How did you solve the other puzzles in that room?

I know there is an audio log somewhere around there but I haven't found it yet. Could the audio log be the missing hint?

Not that I know of, but that would be pretty weird!

ghibli99

I didn't really like that
twig on the ground
one either, although it was a good lesson in considering EVERYTHING around a puzzle.

As I creep closer to 100%, this is one of those times where I truly don't want a game to end. :( I have a feeling though, that if I start it over a couple years from now, much of it will feel new again.

The Witness |OT2| ●─┘

I love it. :)

How did you solve the other puzzles in that room?

Not that I know of, but that would be pretty weird!

The idea of lining up tree-related things I got from the door nearby. That was the first two solved. The third puzzle was an inversion of that. Also easy. Even that had the hint with the little branch ball that indicates the start. On the final one there should have been a subtle hint. Just have the twig be a little brighter where it snapped off.

JesseZao

The Witness |OT2| ●─┘

The Witness ●─ |OT2| ─

Having it reference puzzles from the game would be neat.

(We have a long time to go to OT2 though. Probably at least a couple months.)

IS THERE NO WAY TO GET THAT TOP LEFT PIECE

Not that I could see. I found that actually helped, because it reduced the combinations for that puzzle.

I solved this one in two ways, because I thought it would unlock something else I was stuck on.

It didn't

hesido

Thanks, solved it.

When you actually posted about that panel, I was at the very same panel, of all the other panels I could be solving. It was a coincidende I didn't mention!

I solved it fairly quickly, but I'll now admit that I don't like it either, there are multiple paths that match, only to be discarded by what amounts to be guess-work:
some branches line up not just on the solution path. Some parts can be discarded where it doesn't make sense, but the top part could be following to ways, I chose the straight path and it worked but can't say what differentiates it from the alternative path that the branches line up.

As for the next one, I'm stuck at it, just like you are! And I'm also stuck at the village where there's a similar panel on woodwork, like the ones outside the red temple.

dLMN8R

Yeah, Quarry took me a long time to figure out how it works. But just know that you're not going to learn its rules anywhere else, so the rule is pretty self-contained, and it makes things pretty easy for a while once you do figure it out.

Reached
+129 +2. And I'm holding off on "that" one, so really just five more to find.

I can't even imagine how they came up with some of these insanely elaborate ones.

Meanwhile, I managed to see not a single one of the 13 audio logs I still need to find...

ghibli99

600 total so far. Just attemped
The Challenge
about a half-dozen times, getting to the
maze
part. I know what I need to do, but trying to get everything done is pissing me off. Seems so out of place, but that might just be the frustration talking. I'll get it sooner or later... sooner, hopefully!

GhaleonEB

I just did something I said I would not do with this game, and use a guide to get through one section of the game: the jungle.
I did the first four audio puzzles okay. Then I stood there listening to the cacophony of noise trying to make out the chirps on the next one, and couldn't. 10 minutes later I have a huge headache. Used a guide for the next couple, then solved the first few dot puzzles fine, then they layered on the sounds again....my god.
I've had games get me motion sick before. And I've had games give me problems with my colorblindness before (including this one). But I've never ended a play session with a headache this big before. Ever. My head hurts from that racket.

So, what was the trick? Was it really as simple as
trying to pick out the bird chirps from the mix of all the other sounds they layered on? I tried moving around, timing movements in the puzzle, etc, but didn't seem to make a difference.
I just couldn't take it any longer and ended it. The first totally bad section of the game, IMO.

Top Bottom