• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Kerned

Banned
Actually
I did notice that puzzle thanks to the nudging. What it reveals was... interesting, I suppose, though it doesn't really give the game any more context or provide any closure.
I'll probably continue at some point, but I do feel all puzzled out at this point. I am curious, will
activating all the lasers alter these events compared to what I have now (6 lasers was the minimum, I believe)? Or are the puzzles just the ends to themselves?
Activating all the lasers will allow you to access more stuff. It's challenging puzzle stuff, but not really a lot of "story" stuff (some good audio logs though). If you like the puzzles and want more, press on. If you are feeling puzzled out, you can probably safely wrap it up.

dLMN8R

1)
No one has figured out if you can do anything with those. Based on what Blow has said more recently, it sounds like everything in the cave was just cut content from other places, so maybe these were intended to do something but the sound cues weren't removed when they got cut?

2)
I just figured this out today. This is seriously one of the best puzzles in the game, so I'm going to try this:

No amount of lining-up will help with this one. Look to your left. Notice what else is there. Maybe that will help you think about this in a different way.

1. The ones in the "wood room" with a wooden columns in the middle? I've been wondering about those. I figure there has to be a code based on where you exit them, but haven't figured it out. There isn't an immediate reference nearby. Maybe they are connected to the tall room you descend when you enter the mountain.

2. I thought the same, but just moved on after trying a bit. I guess the way to check if it's a valid puzzle would be to reference the area obelisk.

Are you saying that it's
just a part of the very long environmental puzzle you solve as you're moving in the boat
? Because if so, that's kind of disappointing. I'd already solved that one.

I still think
it should also be solvable while standing on/next to the couch, since it lines up pretty much perfectly.

KarmaCow

Are you saying that it's
just a part of the very long environmental puzzle you solve as you're moving in the boat

I still think
it should also be solvable while standing on/next to the couch, since it lines up pretty much perfectly.

The entire point of the puzzle is that you can't do that. If you notice, even if you could start from just your vantage point, the end of that section of metal doesn't have a nice rounded end.

Ocaso

As far as anyone knows, nothing you do changes the endings. But activating all the lasers will let you get a little bit of context.

Activating all the lasers will allow you to access more stuff. It's challenging puzzle stuff, but not really a lot of "story" stuff (some good audio logs though). If you like the puzzles and want more, press on. If you are feeling puzzled out, you can probably safely wrap it up.

Thanks for that info. Definitely helps. I think I need some distance, maybe play something else for a while, before moving on.

Are you saying that it's

I still think

No, it's a different puzzle. And yes, you must solve it from next to the couch - what I meant is that you already have the right position, and lining up the perspective is not the trick here.

Kerned

Banned
No, it's a different puzzle. And yes, you must solve it from next to the couch - what I meant is that you already have the right position, and lining up the perspective is not the trick here.
I think I get it, and if so... Hahaha wow. If I weren't in bed right now if run downstairs and try it out.

dLMN8R

The entire point of the puzzle is that you can't do that. If you notice, even if you could start from just your vantage point, the end of that section of metal doesn't have a nice rounded end.

OH REALLY?

hrm...

back to work!

Need some clarification on the panel in the boat:

I know that the sequence of the dots is tied to the water drips. Do I have to touch the dots in the order of medium, low, high, medium, low, high, medium notes?

Kerned

Banned

I know that the sequence of the dots is tied to the water drips. Do I have to touch the dots in the order of medium, low, high, medium, low, high, medium notes?
You are on the right track. There is more to consider.

BrokenBox

Question about the endgame:

So I have 11 lasers done and I just entered what I'm thinking is the endgame area. So far, I've done most of the panels and have three of the six videos. I wanted to ask, without spoiling please, if I should get the other videos before continuing towards what I'm guessing is the main ending? Honestly, I've been stuck on the boat-sound puzzle and the RGB room puzzle for awhile and I'm looking for more progression, but I also don't want to detriment the play through if those other videos are big deals. Any advice?

So I have 11 lasers done and I just entered what I'm thinking is the endgame area. So far, I've done most of the panels and have three of the six videos. I wanted to ask, without spoiling please, if I should get the other videos before continuing towards what I'm guessing is the main ending? Honestly, I've been stuck on the boat-sound puzzle and the RGB room puzzle for awhile and I'm looking for more progression, but I also don't want to detriment the play through if those other videos are big deals. Any advice?

It's not necessary.

Kerned

Banned

You will be able to finish everything later after you get the Endgame. You won't be locked out of anything.

And which...
?

Well, I know that
one line must touch all of the orange dots, while the other line touches all of the pink dots. One line is visible to me while the other is invisible and mirrored. I have to touch the dots in the sequence that I mentioned, and I believe any color of dot can be touched as long as the size of the dot falls within that order.

I appreciate the help, by the way :]

JesseZao

Are you saying that it's

I still think

I figured it out. Sometimes you just gotta state obvious things to yourself and it'll hit you.

Kerned

Banned
Well, I know that
one line must touch all of the orange dots, while the other line touches all of the pink dots. One line is visible to me while the other is invisible and mirrored. I have to touch the dots in the sequence that I mentioned, and I believe any color of dot can be touched as long as the size of the dot falls within that order.

I appreciate the help, by the way :]
I think you know that
the order you need to hit the dots is predetermined.
Do you fully understand by what?

I think you know that
the order you need to hit the dots is predetermined.
Do you fully understand by what?

I'm not sure. I believe that the sequence that I have to touch the dots is a medium dot, big dot, small, medium, big, small, and then medium

hesido

Thanks for the insights about the puzzle I'm stuck at. I'll try to crack it again (and probably again) on a different day.

Hmm in the log file he links it says the game build date is 1/23/2016.
Looking at my own Witness log file from steam I have the exact same version as him 0.954M 2016/01/23. Not sure what JBlow is talking about

If this is true, J.Blow needs to be a little more careful about implying a pirated game :\ But then again, he may not be looking only at the version, but what the log contains?

Because if I were the developer of a DRM free game, I would personally poison the torrent pond with old versions spoofing as the latest one, just to screw around with the pirates. Make the difference subtle enough to not receive bad user-reviews though :)

Balphon

Might be helpful to go back to the jungle and think about what differentiates the easier puzzles there from the harder ones.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
This game. Damn.

I'm at the phase where most of the panels I encounter are incomprehensible so I just wander around to find where I'm taught some of the symbols. Loving the scenery!

I did however light up a laser
, the one involving two sets of panels to open a door, the light and shadows ones.
. Great design for those puzzles, very inventive iterations on simple concepts really.

And I learned the significance of the
star
symbol in the zone
up in the trees, where you have to unfold bridges made up of panels

In that zone I
completed a path to a door controlled by a timed "switch" panel but as it is, it is too far from the door itself for me to make it in time so I'm guessing I need to open up a short cut somewhere since there's a path involving stars I haven't completed yet and another involving stars AND tetris symbols I can't start without finding the "tutorial" for those and I can't find how they work by myself yet

mclem

Two questions I have, both are very spoilerish. Read at your own risk!

1) Has anyone figured out the deal with the floor puzzles in the cave yet? I read through the entire other story spoiler thread and a few people mentioned them, but no one seems to know what's up. I know they can be solved in different ways, but the fact that they put out sound effects which sound like the previous Mountain puzzles where you were drawing the floor.

My assumption has been
that the big, imposing sound cues basically signify, well, "this is a big, impressive structure that you're manipulating by poking a screen" (figuratively - or on tablets, literally), emphasising the notion that you're doing a lot with very little. Hence why it's generally associated with the environmental puzzles, but also for the largest floor puzzles.

So, yes, my gut feeling is that it's just to convey scale.

I'd quite like to be wrong, mind you!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I've learned three things from The Witness:

I'm extremely observant
I would never solve some of these puzzles
It drives me nuts watching let's plays.

woen

Finally purchased the game on PS4. I don't know if I'll start it until the big patch that is coming though. If it is planned to have all the options of the recent PC patch (FOV slider, reticle, controller sensitivity etc.) then I'll wait, but Blow doesn't give any news on that side...

hesido

Finally purchased the game on PS4. I don't know if I'll start it until the big patch that is coming though. If it is planned to have all the options of the recent PC patch (FOV slider, reticle, controller sensitivity etc.) then I'll wait, but Blow doesn't give any news on that side...

Just start and see if you have problems. I solved my problems by sitting away from the TV. Can't play it on the Vita though :\

Now for my own problem:
Is this a fair representation of the pillar puzzle I'm stuck at? At work and drew this from my memory:
http://imgur.com/w79CHih

Going to hand out to a couple of co-workers, don't want to give them a insolvable-puzzle.

woen

Just start and see if you have problems. I solved my problems by sitting away from the TV. Can't play it on the Vita though :\

I'll test it but even if I don't have any motion sickness problem, I'd wait for the deeper options if they are planned to be released because it's the minimum.

ObiDin

Got the game this weekend and am around 215 puzzles solved and
5 lazers
activated. Everytime I think I have no idea how to solve the new puzzles, I just start wandering around the island and inevitably stumble across a new area that starts teaching me the new types of puzzles.

Made it through most of the quarry last night,
still not sure I totally understand the purpose of the little triangle other than it allows one missed black dot or red dot, made it through by brute forcing anyway
, and had to leave the area when I came across the tetris pieces and didn't understand. Then I found the swamps...really enjoying the laid back nature to the game.

mclem

Now for my own problem:
Is this a fair representation of the pillar puzzle I'm stuck at? At work and drew this from my memory:
http://imgur.com/w79CHih

Going to hand out to a couple of co-workers, don't want to give them a insolvable-puzzle.

As long as you've got the right amount of columns (that's a pain to remember!), I think it's right.

Honestly, I think this one is so much easier when you draw it out, because it's then trivial to notice the dots that can only be handled one way and after you've filled those in, that's basically half the puzzle done.

I just started this game. What are the key bindings in this game? All I know of are WASD + mouse left / mouse right. I have tried to Google this but had no luck. But I'm seeing people talking about puzzle counts (how many they solved) and I'm confused on how they know.

I just started this game. What are the key bindings in this game? All I know of are WASD + mouse left / mouse right. I have tried to Google this but had no luck. But I'm seeing people talking about puzzle counts (how many they solved) and I'm confused on how they know.

WASD, Escape + mouse are the only things you need!

You can check puzzle count by pressing Escape -> Load

dLMN8R

After solving 500+ puzzles without looking up a single thing, including solving
the challenge
on my own, I finally gave up on this one and looked up the solution.

Was not disappointed that I did.

I understand how it could be rewarding for those who did figure it out on their own, but it just is super dumb IMO. There is never a single time where the game hints that you can actually set the boat to move but get off the boat before it starts moving, enabling you to solve a puzzle from the island while using the boat movement.

I love lateral thinking, but this isn't lateral thinking, it's game-breaking thinking.

Oh well, I'm just glad I don't feel like I cheated myself. And I can finally say I'm 100% done playing this otherwise superb, utterly wonderful game!

I understand how it could be rewarding for those who did figure it out on their own, but it just is super dumb IMO. There is never a single time where the game hints that you can actually set the boat to move but get off the boat before it starts moving, enabling you to solve a puzzle from the island while using the boat movement.

You don't even have to be on the boat at all to set the course.

This was pretty nicely telegraphed if you ever tried to interact with other kinds of puzzles that aren't necessarily right next to you.

KarmaCow

You don't even have to be on the boat at all to set the course.

This was pretty nicely telegraphed if you ever tried to interact with other kinds of puzzles that aren't necessarily right next to you.

Yea I was going to say,
there are many (non-environmental) puzzles that are dependent on the fact that you don't need to be facing the panel head on or locked in to manipulate them. The Monastery is pretty much based on this idea.

Kyuur

Dived back in a little bit thanks to your guy's hints. Started (end-game)
the Challenge
but decided to go back and try some other things.

1. Found a few environmental puzzles. One near the ship and more specifically
by the loveseat facing the sea
is kind of annoying. I can clearly see the shape but can't get the camera to line up correctly.

2. Found the panel in the ship. Clearly a
sound
puzzle but I can't seem to decipher. I was thinking maybe different
sounds on each level of the ship since there are 3 and 3 colours
or maybe its just
a traditional sound puzzle, with three colours being different sounds, but could've sworn there are more water droplets.

3. Solved the
blue light room
in the town and subsequent
environmental puzzles
, but do the panels actually activate anything. I also see what looks like a giant puzzle board on the outside of that room but can't see how I could get up to it.

4. Forgot to ask this before, what is with the panels you find lying around the island where you
have to go past the box the same number of times as the number of symbols
? The (end-game)
entrance to the Challenge
had the same type, so were they just the tutorial for that?

Frith

the challenge

I love lateral thinking, but this isn't lateral thinking, it's game-breaking thinking.

Oh well, I'm just glad I don't feel like I cheated myself. And I can finally say I'm 100% done playing this otherwise superb, utterly wonderful game!

i dunno
you know theres a gap you need to cross next to where the boat goes the line is the same colour as the boat all you have to do is think can i send the boat without being in it. i was pretty giddy when i found that one

i cant find one last puzzle would love some subtle clues if anyones up for it
mountain obelisk marsh puzzles the side that has 4 puzzles the ones i have are 2 shadows on the first Tetris bridge and one pink line on the same bridge under water. the one i'm missing is a curved line and i've been returning to that area for a week and i can't find anything. is it away from the bridge?

For me, being able to
control the boat while not being on it
followed naturally from being able to
manipulate panels from a distance
, which followed from being able to
complete the environmental puzzles at all
, which is explicitly hinted at by
the mountaintop river puzzle (if you hadn't figured it out before that point, at least)
. The specific puzzle you're referencing I thought was an amazing moment.

Dived back in a little bit thanks to your guy's hints. Started (end-game)
the Challenge
but decided to go back and try some other things.

1. Found a few environmental puzzles. One near the ship and more specifically
by the loveseat facing the sea
is kind of annoying. I can clearly see the shape but can't get the camera to line up correctly.

2. Found the panel in the ship. Clearly a
sound
puzzle but I can't seem to decipher. I was thinking maybe different
sounds on each level of the ship since there are 3 and 3 colours
or maybe its just
a traditional sound puzzle, with three colours being different sounds, but could've sworn there are more water droplets.

3. Solved the
blue light room
in the town and subsequent
environmental puzzles
, but do the panels actually activate anything. I also see what looks like a giant puzzle board on the outside of that room but can't see how I could get up to it.

4. Forgot to ask this before, what is with the panels you find lying around the island where you
have to go past the box the same number of times as the number of symbols
? The (end-game)
entrance to the Challenge
had the same type, so were they just the tutorial for that?

1. It just so happens we're talking about that one on this whole page... But don't click those other spoilers.
Notice that you have a bigger problem than just lining up the camera.

You're close - it will be unambiguous when you match everything. You can solve this without stepping away from the panel.

You're probably done there - no one knows what those activate, if anything. And the thing on the outside seems to be just a texture.

4. Yes.

JesseZao

the challenge

All I said to myself:

Something orange has to connect these lines.

I immediately ran to the boat (long trek :/).

It probably helped that I had ridden the boat and passed through the puzzle going the other way a few days before, so my mind would've connected that as a possibility when I thought about it.

mountain obelisk marsh puzzles the side that has 4 puzzles the ones i have are 2 shadows on the first Tetris bridge and one pink line on the same bridge under water. the one i'm missing is a curved line and i've been returning to that area for a week and i can't find anything. is it away from the bridge?

Okay,
putting that one on that side was a cruel move.

It's paradoxically sort of "there" but not actually there at the same time. You definitely won't find it by looking in that area, though.

And it has nothing to do with the bridge.

Like Remembrance said, the
general obelisk direction
on that one is kinda bullshit, and so I think it's fair to hint that
it should be a side (or two) to the left - in the clockwise direction around the obelisk
. It's not even like they ran out of room!

hesido

That looks right. I can see the solution from that picture.

Definitely the hardest puzzle in that room.

As long as you've got the right amount of columns (that's a pain to remember!), I think it's right.

Honestly, I think this one is so much easier when you draw it out, because it's then trivial to notice the dots that can only be handled one way and after you've filled those in, that's basically half the puzzle done.

I'm still stuck, how can this puzzle be earthly possible, as because, as soon as you take two stair-steps, you'll have to be leaving at least one dot behind in an unreachable spot, since there are two "stairs", I always leave at least two untouched. :( I guess my mind is unable to see this from a different perspective.

Edit:
I think I got it! Entering the solution in the game. (Like Mclem suggested, filled out the mandatory lines first, then tried to fill in the rest, on the 2d version. Ok, lemme do it...

I'm still stuck, how can this puzzle be earthly possible, as because, as soon as you take two stair-steps, you'll have to be leaving at least one dot behind in an unreachable spot, since there are two "stairs", I always leave at least two untouched. :( I guess my mind is unable to see this from a different perspective.

Try this:

Cover up one side of the diagonal. How would you do the rest?

Top Bottom