• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Yeah, but listening to he speaking about the differences between the PS4 and PC version i think that only the newest iPads are going to be powerful enough to run the game well, because of the memory constraints.

Did he say if it's going to be iPad only? I wonder if it'll run on the 6S. But then again, why would you want to play this on a 4.7 inch screen.

I'm certain the game works fine as is, but would work better with proper music. I think that's pretty mild criticism, but the response to people questioning the lack of music has been "it's a feature, he's a genius, you can't criticize him," which is totally without merit (regardless of the fact that Blow's reasoning is scientifically wrong).

If it were just an "aesthetic preference," I'd have no problem with it. Bathing it in some deeper and incorrect notion of music theory is my issue, especially when people are already latching onto Blow's explanation that it would "detract from perception."

But it is an aesthetic preference for the game, just one rooted in a perhaps incorrect opinion held by the creator. Even if he's factually wrong about the function of music and the brain, even if his choice to not include music manifested out of a poor understanding of the science of the subject - it was still an aesthetic choice that was made and designed around. The final result can be criticized, and his statement can be criticized, but they should probably be judged separately.

Let me put it this way: I don't believe in God, but I think it would be silly to focus on a composer's assertion that "God was speaking through them" or "this is the sound of angels" or something to that effect when they made a decision to put a choir or something in a piece of music. It doesn't really have much bearing on the beauty of a symphony at the end of the day.

In essence, I agree with you, I just don't think how he arrived at a design decision really changes anything about said design decision.

That is brutal. Anyone with a 21:9 monitor able to test what happens when you play the game in fullscreen mode?

Fills the screen, FRAPS screenshot says it's 3440x1440 but it doesn't look like internal rendering is happening at that res, it's very blurry.

RcXAo2B.png

anddo0

There are a few connected puzzles that seem to do nothing?
I solve it and no door opening, not even a sound...

I never thought I'd have this much fun with a puzzle game. It's truly amazing. I've solved well over 30 puzzles so far, a few were challenging until I stepped backed and realized how simple the solution was. The game could've used a bit more music/sound (just a little). The world is engrossing enough though. I was hesitant, but this turned out to be a great purchase.

AEREC

So PS4 or PC version...any verdict yet? Either way Ill be playing on a 1080p TV with a controller (DS4 or 360 pad).

Just curious if they are graphically identical.

Mifec

So, the PC options are quite disappointing. Not possible to choose resolution. One general quality setting, fullscreen/windowed and vsync/off - that is it. Screenshot:
witness8grk7.png

In-game settings are the same.
Welp he doesn't deserve my money then.

d00d3n

He confirmed on stream that 21:9 should work fine, but they haven't been able to test it. They are keeping an eye out though to see how things go for people

That's great, but no resolution option really sucks though. Some downsampling would have done wonders with the game.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Huh, had to close and reopen for it to show up as install-able.

Two achievements? Why no parity with the PS4? And those options??? Might just return before installing and wait on a sale.

He said that the PS4 version has more trophies because there's a minimum amount. If he could decide, there would be only 2 on PS4 too.

Did he say if it's going to be iPad only? I wonder if it'll run on the 6S. But then again, why would you want to play this on a 4.7 inch screen.

I didn't catch if he said iPad only or not. But as you said, i don't think playing on a smartphone screen size is going to be comfortable.

Demption

Possible late game spoilers

So i just figured i can draw a line on the ground when looking down from tower near the windmill? Is this late game stuff i figured out?

Any non spoilery impressions?

Keep in mind I love Talos Principle, Fez, and Portal 2. Is the world mysterious and poignant to explore, like in SoTC/Talos Principle or something like that? Is it more uplifting like Journey?

I was able to solve all of the Talos Principle on my own, and finished Fez alone too, but never to 100%. I am expecting the puzzles to be up my alley, but I am going in blind, so Im a bit curious as to the reactions here.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The visuals look really, really good in motion. Very smooth and clean.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Unless I'm missing something, the
shipwreck
puzzle doesn't actually use footsteps or anything?

It works like the puzzles on symmetry island - when you draw a line, a corresponding invisible line is coming out of the opposite start point.

It's not
footsteps but appears to use the same concept as the jungle -- there are a bunch of water droplet sounds at various pitches that trigger when you stand in front of it but I can't work out the sequence.

This may be a silly question, but for those who have played a lot, are there any sort of jump scares? I hate jump scares and always want to know going in if they exist or not haha. Thanks!

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year

So i just figured i can draw a line on the ground when looking down from tower near the windmill? Is this late game stuff i figured out?

Not late game, but it's basically how the game handles collectibles. I obsessively started looking for those everywhere once I realized how that works.

Keep in mind I love Talos Principle, Fez, and Portal 2. Is the world mysterious and poignant to explore, like in SoTC/Talos Principle or something like that? Is it more uplifting like Journey?

I was able to solve all of the Talos Principle on my own, and finished Fez alone too, but never to 100%. I am expecting the puzzles to be up my alley, but I am going in blind, so Im a bit curious as to the reactions here.

It's definitely mysterious, and yes, if you loved those games, get this game NOW.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Are people really wanting to "crank up teh grafix!" in this game? Why? The game looks good, but is as low poly as you can get away with these days. Nevermind that you're absolutely missing the point.

Also some of these quotes are getting a bit too "precious. . ." for me but the puzzle solving is still fun. About 2 hours in and I am seeing the "mobile app" puzzle criticism that Playstation Universe leveled at the game, though I'm not seeing it as a bad thing.

Not at all shocked this small team who were mainly focused on console development in the past release a game on PC with limited options. It's unfortunate, but not at all surprising.

PS4 version runs fine with a solid framerate at 1080p, no ragrets.

It's in that wheelhouse for sure. You'll dig it.

That's great, but no resolution option really sucks though. Some downsampling would have done wonders with the game.

Does Nvidia DSR even work in this situation? If the game reports it as the native res, I'd think it should still work, but I haven't messed with it since I got my x34.

Spoilers regarding the puzzles in / around the windmill

This is about the puzzle that you solve with the solution from behind the door early in the game, last chance to turn back!

THIS GAME JUST GOT WEIRD. I was wondering why there was a subtitles option in the game, but I never expected it to be for BBC documentaries. I'm guessing I'll have to find more solutions and come back later to see more movies. This game is impressing me so much!

Demption

Not late game, but it's basically how the game handles collectibles. I obsessively started looking for those everywhere once I realized how that works.

Damn, that's great! The moment I realized that i had my mouth wide open from surprise, haha.

The sound design is great in this game, everyone should play with headphones if possible. No music allows the sound design to really shine.

schlew

Hmm...don't see any responce from a puzzle segment I just finished. Only a couple hours in, has to do with rocks and water.

On the puzzle boards I have to control two parallel lines to draw around the rocks standing in the ocean. I finished the last one, but...I don't seem to know what I triggered (if anything).

CloudWolf

So, the PC options are quite disappointing. Not possible to choose resolution. One general quality setting, fullscreen/windowed and vsync/off - that is it. Screenshot:
witness8grk7.png

In-game settings are the same.
Yeah, I'm all for minimalism, but this is taking things a bit too far. Also, I'm really confused by what these options actually mean. On high it runs fine, but not great (which was to be expected with a GT 750M), on medium it runs great but for some reason my game constantly crashed to desktop and "Use Defaults" ran awful and put the game in a crazy big resolution for some reason.

Clopezi

Understand what? That I want proper options in something I am supposed to give money for?

Maybe are the necessary options for this kind of game (of course, more options would be welcome), but not buy a game ONLY because have less graphic options that other games without any technical problems... sounds weird.

Top Bottom