• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Cool, thanks for the info. Taking into account how well Wii U games scale to 1080p the rendered resolution shouldn't really be a problem. I for one will always take 720p@60fps over 1080p@30fps with less effects.

The demo is up-scaled great at 1080p on my projector.

http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/the_...controversy_his_twitter_account_and_more.html

Nice interview with Kamiya, about his worries about sales and so on.

VG: I guess that would also prevent it from ever being a game that could cross platforms too?

yet again, they can't help themselves,
this is not a question, but a statement. get rid of that question mark!
I can't wait for the interviews with miyamoto asking why he chose wii u when developing the next mario game.
i've never seen so much sly port begging from sites.

I got the game this morning and have played on it for about an hour, I never played the demo as I figured this was one of the hot games for the Wii U and didn't want to spoil that initial blast of excitement upon playing the game for the first time.

How wrong I was!

Had I played the demo I think I would've cancelled my preorder, granted I've only played it for an hour, I will persevere with it and see if I can "get it", but my initial impressions are as follows:

Unite morph powers using the touchscreen just dont work reliably enough, it just reminds me of using some bullshit kinect eyetoy interface, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt, the touchscreen just isn't designed to be used by a finger, the DS had the same shortcoming, it works perfect with a stylus, but I'm not holding a fucking stylus whilst I play this game, its very easy to touch one of the panels at the top of the screen too which takes you to a help menu, aswell as accidentally touching the miiverse shortcut button, also in the bit where you have to extend the w101 between the bus sections, doing that with the fucking touchscreen is just impossible, you have to make sure your finger is right at the furthest corner and swipe your finger to the other furthest corner, I couldn't get it done using the touchscreen and had to use the right thumbstick, which I dont find much better when it comes to utilizing the morph powers

The opening schoolbus tutuorial level is awful

The music is soooooooooooo annoying, coupled with the unresponsive touchscreen is an infuriating experience

Graphics are pretty meh

It's hard to see what the fuck is going on, the w101 are so just so tiny, much much smaller than pikmin

I just dont get the combat, I was a huge fan of viewtiful joe, but this seems tricky, is there a block or evade button? I get you have to weaken enemies and then use morph unite powers in some way to maxamise combos but it just isn't clicking with me at all

Overall at this early stage, I can honestly say I fucking hate this game, it was held up as some sort of mega game for so long and I am crushingly dissapointed, I can't see it having mainstream appeal either, it seems incredibly niche to me gameplay wise, like I said I will try again later and perservere to see if I can start enjoy it, but right now: I can't believe I sunk £32.50 on this P.O.S.

69wpm

I got the game this morning and have played on it for about an hour, I never played the demo as I figured this was one of the hot games for the Wii U and didn't want to spoil that initial blast of excitement upon playing the game for the first time.

How wrong I was!

Had I played the demo I think I would've cancelled my preorder, granted I've only played it for an hour, I will persevere with it and see if I can "get it", but my initial impressions are as follows:

Unite morph powers using the touchscreen just dont work reliably enough, it just reminds me of using some bullshit kinect eyetoy interface, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt, the touchscreen just isn't designed to be used by a finger, the DS had the same shortcoming, it works perfect with a stylus, but I'm not holding a fucking stylus whilst I play this game, its very easy to touch one of the panels at the top of the screen too which takes you to a help menu, aswell as accidentally touching the miiverse shortcut button, also in the bit where you have to extend the w101 between the bus sections, doing that with the fucking touchscreen is just impossible, you have to make sure your finger is right at the furthest corner and swipe your finger to the other furthest corner, I couldn't get it done using the touchscreen and had to use the right thumbstick, which I dont find much better when it comes to utilizing the morph powers

The music is soooooooooooo annoying, coupled with the unresponsive touchscreen is an infuriating experience

Graphics are pretty meh

It's hard to see what the fuck is going on, the w101 are so just so tiny, much much smaller than pikmin

I just dont get the combat, I was a huge fan of viewtiful joe, but this seems tricky, is there a block or evade button? I get you have to weaken enemies and then use morph unite powers in some way to maxamise combos but it just isn't clicking with me at all

Overall at this early stage, I can honestly say I fucking hate this game, it was held up as some sort of mega game for so long and I am crushingly dissapointed, I can't see it having mainstream appeal either, it seems incredibly niche to me gameplay wise, like I said I will try again later and perservere to see if I can start enjoy but right now, I can't believe I sunk £32.50 on this P.O.S

Keza, is that you? /jk

Of course there is a button to evade and one to block, there is also a manual.

Anyway, looking forward to your opinion when you finish the game.

Shahadan

uPmwPhc.gif

We got you bodeiseifer, it's trash and we all knew it

the touchscreen just isn't designed to be used by a finger, the DS had the same shortcoming, it works perfect with a stylus, but I'm not holding a fucking stylus whilst I play this game

Are you using your nail, or the tip/pad of your finger? The screen reads contact with nails fine.

uPmwPhc.gif

We got you bodeiseifer, it's trash and we all knew it

Your tone is unecesary, I appreciate a portion of GAF is super hype for this game, and thats part of the reason I choose to stick with it, but my initial opinion is just that, if it changes I will post all about it.

The game doesn't come with a manual, not a paper one at least.

Every freaking 3DS and Wii U game comes with a DETAILED digital manual you can access while the game is running in the HOME menu. People complaining about the lack of manuals / tutorials when they're there …smh.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

How wrong I was!

We all went through this with the demo. Take it easy.

Do the drawing horizontally and thus you don't hit any button. Take your time, don't do it in a hurry.

L and R let you zoom in and out.

ZR=spring dodge ZL=block
X=team attack wich is very useful before combos.

I respect your opinions, but to say that graphically is meh ... maybe you just don't like the art style in which case you should have already known that before buying it.

And as I final advice, play on an lower difficulty until you get into it.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Don't bother with the touchscreen bodeiseifer, right stick all the way. Keep at it, you'll get the hang of what's going on soon enough. It was overwhelming at first for me too in the demo.

Expect more DMC than VJ regarding the combat.

Don't be afraid to play on easy at first and then trying a higher difficulty setting as you get better. Use the X attack to immobilize ennemies then whack'em in the face.

monome

That sounds about right, the DS was the same, but so far I am using the tip of my finger.

1/ patience is virtue
2/ a fuckton of moves have to be unlocked.
this type of game opens up to pure gameplay nirvana once you' ve completed the games several times to unlock many moves, upgragded perfs etc...

your points are valid, and reflect some reviews BUT calling it a feature would seem masochistic, yet devs clearly want you to pour time in the mechanics and the possibilities of the game.

It's not COD, boom boom, rush rush.

Don't bother with the touchscreen bodeiseifer, right stick all the way. Keep at it, you'll get the hang of what's going on soon enough. It was overwhelming at first for me too in the demo.

Expect more DMC than VJ regarding the combat.

Don't be afraid to play on easy at first and then trying a higher difficulty setting as you get better. Use the X attack to immobilize ennemies then whack'em in the face.

so much this. so much. so so much.
Bravo.

Exile20

Your tone is unecesary, I appreciate a portion of GAF is super hype for this game, and thats part of the reason I choose to stick with it, but my initial opinion is just that, if it changes I will post all about it.

How can you not know there is a digital manual and how in the hell can you play for an hour and don't know of a block and evade button. Doesn't everyone press every button while playing especially if the expect there to be move in the game. I am on mobile but can someone show him the video of the guying playing the demo explaining the mechanics.

How wrong I was!

Graphics are pretty meh

Overall at this early stage, I can honestly say I fucking hate this game, it was held up as some sort of mega game for so long and I am crushingly dissapointed, I can't see it having mainstream appeal either, it seems incredibly niche to me gameplay wise, like I said I will try again later and perservere to see if I can start enjoy it, but right now: I can't believe I sunk £32.50 on this P.O.S.

You should apply for a job at IGN.

Kidding. Take your time drawing the shapes, the game slows down. Also do it horizontally. And read the manual. This game doesn´t hold your hand.

CrunchyB

I tried the demo last week. My first play through was an utter mess, I'd even say it was the most confusing game I've ever played. Because of this, it wasn't all that much fun.

But my second try was already a lot better, I actually knew what I was trying to do, it just didn't always work as intended. I'd mess up timing on some attacks or panicked when overwhelmed. But I did alright, got golds, silvers and a few bronze medals. It's totally a skill based game, mashing buttons only works to some extent.

I really looking forward to the full game. It's been my most wanted (WiiU) game ever since the first proper trailer. Will report in tomorrow!

Mr-Joker

Banned

How wrong I was!

Graphics are pretty meh

It isn't the game that's bad, it's you that bad at the game as you haven't fully grasped the mechanic of the game.

You can not expect to master the game on your first time playing until you spend more time playing the game and learn how it work.

Also you have no one to blame but yourself for not downloading the demo before buying the game.

Put the game in, press the home button and at the right is the manual for the game. So yes the game does come with the manual.

So again it's your fault for not checking.

they're offered.

you buy them both with the easy money earned during the prologue.

I started the 1st mission with more stuff than was given in the demo.

I'm mostly saying that Exile's "well of course they're there dummy, did you press the buttons you idiot?" tone was unnecessary.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Let's Unite BE NICE about it. This game is bound to get knee jerk reactions on first tries.

No one minds if I chose Wonder-Camembert as my hero name? Sorry about the smell.

The music is soooooooooooo annoying

That's the only thing i can agree with you on,
who ever thought that having that theme song playing at the beginning section of the game when your trying to figure stuff out and also listen to the dialogue was crazy.
it's a funny song but would be better saved til later.

stick with the game, i hated it first try as well.
As soon as you figure out a way of playing that works for you , you should start enjoying it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Let's Unite BE NICE about it. This game is bound to get knee jerk reactions on first tries.

No one minds if I chose Wonder-Camembert as my hero name? Sorry about the smell.

SO much this. An OT is supposed to provide positive help to those who struggle, not "lol u suck at this game".

monome

I'm mostly saying that Exile's "well of course they're there dummy, did you press the buttons you idiot?" tone was unnecessary.

I don't mind some flaming in a Kamiya thread.

Dude can take some heat.

But the hard truth is this thread and every W101 thread is full of meaningful advices from pumped up gamers.

So when you come to whine...

THE GAME WORKS!

play easy, with the right stick or touch screen.
or try very easy.

but it works.
input works.
it has strategy. a lot of. it's think the gaemplay might be more layered than Bayo. but I m' not the King of Action games tho.

hard personnal fact : it's better than Rising, IMO.

so cheesy!

ahm998

How wrong I was!

Graphics are pretty meh

I love you dude .

Because i will see how you will change your mind sooooooo Big after finish it.

This game awesome , you know that i have more than 5 friends going crazy about this game and they will get Wii U only for this game.

Waiting for your next impression :)

I had another go at it after reading the e-manual (dissapointing a nintendo published game doesn't come with a paper manual, usually they always come with lurverly colour manauls) it doesn't say anything about the ZL ZR buttons in the e manual, after purchasing them the combat makes allot more sense and I'm finding much more enjoyable, don't know why they aren't available by default, the game definetly doesn't do a very good job of explaining the combat system, I am starting to gold and silver medals now so I'm assuming I'm doing something right, I'm still finding aspects of the combat slightly perplexing though, gonna look up some videos on youtube later.

I don't use the touch screen for this game. It's simply not good enough for finger usage, not to an acceptable level for me. I'm 100% right stick using.

All this chatter about digital manuals: I never knew they were there until I accidentally touched the manual button when playing Earthbound, I had always assumed the manual button was for the console instructions, never realised it presented game specific manuals when inside of a game, though to be fair the W101 does come with a manual explaing how to access the e-manual.

Regarding why I didn't play the demo, if I'm already sold on a game and expect it to meet expectations, I prefer not to play a demo, even if I'm dieing to play the game as I prefer to exercise a modicum of self control so I can experience maximum euphoria upon purchase.

thefro

I had another go at it after reading the e-manual (dissapointing a nintendo published game doesn't come with a paper manual, usually they always come with lurverly colour manauls) it doesn't say anything about the ZL ZR buttons in the e manual, after purchasing them the combat makes allot more sense and I'm finding much more enjoyable, don't know why they aren't available by default, the game definetly doesn't do a very good job of explaining the combat system, I am starting to gold and silver medals now so I'm assuming I'm doing something right, I'm still finding aspects of the combat slightly perplexing though, gonna look up some videos on youtube later.

Good to hear... the general consensus is this is the best rundown/Let's Play of the demo.

Also I would watch Kamiya's W101 Direct as well, if you haven't.

I don't use the touch screen for this game. It's simply not good enough for finger usage, not to an acceptable level for me. I'm 100% right stick using.

I'm getting more proficient at using the touchscreen, it certainly helps to take it slow drawing, you have to be quite accurate too and not draw it too large so as to clip one of the menus, I find drawing a circle using the right stick not so good, I still think when it comes to things like drawing with a finger, a resistive touch screen is inferior to a capacative.

I thought I had somewhat of a handle on this game from the demo, got through the first stage/demo stage with a nice shiny gold rank feeling pretty confident, and now i'm right back to my usual place in this genre, sucking horribly to the point that I'll probably knock the difficulty down to easy because right now for me normal feels like an unholy clusterfuck while i'm still trying to grasp what this game's throwing at me.
And throw tons of stuff at you it does, this is chaotic, Platinum certainly have a thing for awesome balls to the walls craziness and it's on display here in full force, a bit too full force for me right now.
It's currently a heavy learning process, the block move can counter this but it can't counter that? figuring out the best way/weapon to defeat an enemy while numerous others are trying to kill you at the same time, lets just say I don't feel like it's easing the player in by any stretch.

The above is mostly a case of me being kind of bad at this and also learning the hard way which is fair enough but I have to take issue with how getting hit by the heavier attacks is a bit too punishing seeing as it scatters around the various heroes leaving your options limited until they recover or you scoop up enough stunned members to get your standard abilities back, this aspect was brutal for me in the first part of the third stage/chapter
The Hydra/Orochee flight section, get knocked off the control wheel and then ship wrecked before you can even grab back hold of the wheel
Then there's the game occasionally being a bit unclear on how to pull off certain tasks, despite its actual simplicity some of the unite build moments i've come across so far had me botch them numerous times before I got a handle on it, admittedly it's basically just funnelling your dudes into the relevant object so I guess I was overcomplicating the process with elaborate shape making, whoops.

But on the other hand this is a platinum game all right, "gamey" to the core and offering some spectacular moments even in these earliest stages. It's dialogue and overall hero theme is enjoyable as well. Now to discretely turn down the difficulty...

Regiruler

I think bodeiseifer's posts indicate that he doesn't necessarily hate the game, he's just going through the same learning process most of us did when playing the demo.

I do agree the basic block and dodge (or at least the dodge) should have been available by default.
On that note: is it even possible to defeat hoedowns without Unite Guts?

Nocturnowl pls

From what I've seen, the Guts can defend most physical attacks, but not blades and not projectiles. So when a Scorpion clamps down on you with his big claws, you can counter that. When he shoots lasers though, can't block that, gotta dodge or sprint or whip out your big sword and reflect it. When he does the tail spin, can't block that either, gotta dodge it. It's a learning experience.

Exile20

I didn't play the full game I didn't know you need to purchase the block and evade and I am sorry about that. I didn't mean to come off in an insulting way. I will leave my impressions for the full game instead of the demo which I enjoyed from here on out. Sorry to offend.

Good thing i found out about the block/evade. I would have been pissed cause those moves were really important in the demo.

Z3M0G

I don't know what is up with Platinum making basic moves like Block and Dodge unlockables in their games...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I also think squad size might affect guard strength but im not 100 % sure.

Nocturnowl pls

From what I've seen, the Guts can defend most physical attacks, but not blades and not projectiles. So when a Scorpion clamps down on you with his big claws, you can counter that. When he shoots lasers though, can't block that, gotta dodge or sprint or whip out your big sword and reflect it. When he does the tail spin, can't block that either, gotta dodge it. It's a learning experience.

Actually that's a point that makes sense, since unite guts is basically a big flan it makes sense that a slicing attack would cut right through it while impact moves bounce off, LOGIC!

Played the demo last weekend at my brothers place and I loved it. Didn't know so many people were salty about the demo until I came into this thread. Also I found using the touch screen to be pretty easy. I was faster with it than the thumbstick.

Top Bottom