• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Can someone explain the Leader Selection thing to me? Is it necessary? Do I gain anything by changing my leader? Why would I want to do this and when?

NEO0MJ

Can someone explain the Leader Selection thing to me? Is it necessary? Do I gain anything by changing my leader? Why would I want to do this and when?

Changing leaders makes a Hero level up faster and so you learn that weapon's moves faster. You should change leader whenever the current one's level maxes out.

Varjet

So I just tried to PP the third boss and was quite perplexed. He used like three attacks I've never seen before. Not bad for a boss that I've fought at least five times already.

Changing leaders makes a Hero level up faster and so you learn that weapon's moves faster. You should change leader whenever the current one's level maxes out.

Awesome, thank you :)

Also, I have the Stinger for both Sword and Hand now but can't seem to do this very simple action of "direction + A" is it something that only works when an enemy is present? I was also a little confused as to if it's a move that happens when you've just drawn the sword or hand or when you already have your weapon in hand. Either way it doesn't seem to be registering so I'm pretty sure I'm just doing it wrong.

Edit: How do you get inside the football helmet? I've done this twice before and it still isn't clear what to do. :( ok, draw a circle around it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I have the Stinger for both Sword and Hand now but can't seem to do this very simple action of "direction + A" is it something that only works when an enemy is present? I was also a little confused as to if it's a move that happens when you've just drawn the sword or hand or when you already have your weapon in hand. Either way it doesn't seem to be registering so I'm pretty sure I'm just doing it wrong..

Stingers input is weird in W101, it's back -> forward + A

Played the demo last night, bought today. Really excited to see what they do with the concept.

e: The plot so far seems to involve just throwing science fiction-y words together in a Power Rangers/Earth Defense Force wrapper. I love it.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Anyone else have the problem where neutral input does either a wonderful rising or cyclone all the time?
Well neutral input should do a rising if you're hitting the jump button right after it but that's a weird thing if it does a cyclone. I used to struggle doing the cyclone consistently so maybe your controller's left stick is acting up.

Anyone have the Prima Players Guide they're not using anymore? I'd be happy to purchase it off you, I like to have a physical guide in front of me when searching for stuff in games.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Picked this up and played about an hour and a half so far. I really thought I was getting into the flow of the battles, until I just went through one of those portals to fight like 4 big robots. I was getting my shit kicked in, it's hard to see when they're queing up their attacks while all this shit is happening on screen due to my attacking, but I guess I'll get used to it.

I got a WiiU this Saturday, mostly for this, Bayo2, X, Smash and Mario games (well, and Zelda games when they're announced). I'm looking for a cheap copy of W101 (under negotiation with a local person who's selling a 2nd hand one), but in the meantime I'm enjoying the demo a lot. I've finished story and missions 3-4 times each or so, and I'm still finding/learning new stuff. Can't wait to get my hands on the full version.

I actually had already watched the mechanics videos months ago, but I rewatched them again back to back with playing the game, soooooooooo good. Ridiculous depth as par for the Platinum course. Don't think I'll be cancel-chaining anytime soon, but it's something to look forward when my skill ceiling raises. I love all the ways you can tackle each situation.

Anyhow, if anyone finds a cheap (<30€) copy in Europe, please let me know!

Aiustis

Finally started playing this game. What took me so long I don't know, but I might have an addiction. What I like about this game is it makes me feel so rewarded for figuring things out. I'll do a lttp review when I'm finished I think.

Clockwork5

I'm up to 6-C and I think this is a very good game so far. While I can't sit down and play it for hours at a time, the fun factor is off the charts for a stage or two. And that is just fine :) I think I'm getting close to the end and might go back to see how high I can score but come on... Those requirements are crazy steep for pure platinum. At least Bayonetta felt achievable and I got the majority of them but in W101 they seem totally unrealistic. Are there any good videos of elite gamerz owning this game, it would be fun to watch.

Reposting from the EU deals thread:

In case anyone was following my Wonderful 101 saga, after resigning myself to buying it for around 40€ shipped, I called the Spanish FNAC central and they told me they had just one copy in one of them (on the other side of the city, but it's OK) for 30€. Overjoyed, I reserve it, go there... and they ALSO had a second hand one, pretty much mint, for 12€. I really couldn't believe my luck today.

The 30€ brand new copy should still be there in case anyone from Madrid is looking for it, it's still a good deal (FNAC Plaza Norte 2).

To say that I'm loving the game would be a grievous misunderstatement. I went in with several demo playthroughs and the basics videos memorized, so I jumped straight into golding and platinuming normal; SO. FREAKING. GOOD. Suprisingly loving the variety though; I didn't know what the hell was I doing in the 2B section where you
control the geathjerk ship by stepping into the buttons
, but once I understood it, man, it was so fun
blasting those ships with my beam, especially the stacks of three where you have to jump and shoot

I'm only just starting 2C too; wow, this game seems to be way longer than I expected! Between that, harder difficulties, platinums, achievements and collectables, and the slow pace at which I tend to play games, this game will probably last me a couple years.

leroidys

To say that I'm loving the game would be a grievous misunderstatement. I went in with several demo playthroughs and the basics videos memorized, so I jumped straight into golding and platinuming normal; SO. FREAKING. GOOD. Suprisingly loving the variety though; I didn't know what the hell was I doing in the 2B section where you
blasting those ships with my beam, especially the stacks of three where you have to jump and shoot

I'm only just starting 2C too; wow, this game seems to be way longer than I expected! Between that, harder difficulties, platinums, achievements and collectables, and the slow pace at which I tend to play games, this game will probably last me a couple years.

Yeah, the game is super meaty. I stalled out halfway through my hard PP run, but I could see myself easily putting 500 hours into to achieve everything.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews

Cool to see you're enjoying it. I don't want to repeat myself but YOU AIN'T SEEN SHIT YET. You're playing the GOTY 2013 no one played, have fun.

Cool to see you're enjoying it. I don't want to repeat myself but YOU AIN'T SEEN SHIT YET. You're playing the GOTY 2013 no one played, have fun.

If it escalates the way other Platinum games tend to do, it has a good shot at being my favorite game of all time. I mean, my CURRENT GOAT is Okami, and this has quite a bit in common with it besides its director and crew.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
According to the NPD thread, The Wonderful 101 has sold 65k copies in North America.
Cult classic on the same level as Psychonauts and Earthbound confirmed.

Well, I guess it's time for me to get away from playing the game for long enough to write about it.

I got a Wii a couple of weeks ago, and by some incredible luck I was able to get a second-hand copy for 12€. I was willing to pay whatever price as I basically bought the Wii U for this and a few other games that mostly aren't even out yet (X, Smash Bros). I almost feel bad about it as technically I guess this is yet another sale they don't get to have, and I'm considering picking up a brand new copy as well, perhaps give away the second hand one (although I don't know anyone with a Wii U). But I disgress.

The game may well be my favorite game of all time. Keep in mind I've been gaming hardcore and non-stop for over thirty years. Kamiya has been my favorite developer ever for over a decade now (dethroning my previous favorite, Miyamoto), and every single game he makes seems to top himself, with the so called "competition" so far below they seem like ants from here. Okami is currently my favorite game; right now I can't make a balanced judgement on W101 for obvious reasons, so in a year or two it'll be interesting to see if it has dethroned it for me.

I finished the game a while back and I'm playing through Hard. I watched and re-watched Saur's videos months before I even got the Wii U, and practiced the hell out of the demo in the week between getting the console and the game, so I jumped straight to Normal and had no problems whatsoever. I'm having no problems with Hard either, except for the Hard Kahkoo-Regah, which are quite a spike in difficulty and usually take me many tries to get done (some are outright devilish); since continues there count towards the final score, I regularly get consolation prices in almost any Hard stage that features one (I'll replay them later skipping the Kahkoo-Regah).

Regarding the game itself, there's not much to say other than it's nearly perfect, especially once you start to know it in and out. The interior sections using the gamepad were a chore until I learned of the L button recentering (switching them to the main screen pressing Minus also makes them more enjoyable). Since I had watched Saur's videos beforehand, I didn't ever bother drawing morphs with the gamepad, so no problems there either; perhaps drawing on the gamepad should be disabled by default.

I particularly love how much stuff there is to discover, and I don't only mean collectibles (even though those are usually hidden in interesting ways), but stuff related to how to defeat enemies. And at the end, the game's crowning achievement is just how fun it is to play. Few other games have you finish a stage and immediately feel the urge to replay it again because it was so damn fun. In this respect I believe it has topped even Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, as it's much more non-stop action, all the time, with barely any traversing or superfluous puzzling to pad it out.

I see myself playing for months or years on end, even with the massive backlog I have on my hands. I just don't want to play anything else right now. Still have lots of stuff to unlock (
Unite Big, the two bigger Wonder Green morphs
, and all characters except for
Poseman and Wonder-Scarf
).

Anyways, just wanted to share some of my enthusiasm for this masterpiece. Long live Kamiya and long live his seemingly unending talent and imagination.

Just finished Hard. I think I'll round up the eight remaining Wonderfuls and three pieces of heart I'm missing, then work on the other achievements to unlock more secret characters, plus get my rankings up. Oh, I also spent over 30 minutes to complete the last Kahku-Regah (normal Epilogue, the boxing match), only to learn that it doesn't award the "complete a boxing match without getting hit" bottlecap (which in turn would have unlocked
Wonder-Massmurderer for me... I mean, Wonder-Goggles
).

I kind of dislike that I'll probably be forced to play Easy or Very Easy as the shortest route to complete some of them, like 100% Platinum. I might try to 100% Plat Normal because of that, but it seems... daunting.

LocalE

I've run into a bit of a problem I haven't sen mentioned elsewhere.

So I unlocked all the characters and custom block slots and everything last year and just kept playing it for fun. The only things I could have left to accomplish is getting Pure Platinum on every Operation, and getting Platinum for all the Wonderful Missions (I've got Gold on all 6 Missions, but I've never got a single Platinum, single player or multiplayer.)

So, I decided to start a brand new save file, originally intending to see how much I could remember to do in a single run through Normal. Then I decided to just go ahead and unlock everything again on the new file.
Now I am down to 2 Bottle Caps left to go, but it is obviously glitched, because besides
Bayonetta's
final Secret Cap, I need the Hero Collection Bottle Cap for
Wonder-Director
. The problem being that all the other characters are unlocked and I have all the figures except for
Prince Vorkken
, which should have appeared in the collection when the character was unlocked.

So now I suppose that I cannot finish this file, unless someone has had a similar problem and knows a way to get the figure to properly appear. And that sucks, because my Final Results screens are looking much better on this new file since I am a much better player now. Hell, I have even been getting a good number of Pure Platinum trophies, whereas I never got even one on my first save file.

Anyways, if anyone knows anything about this glitch, please let me know. Or maybe I should bring it to the attention of someone at Platinum just so they can be aware of it? I don't really expect much in the way of patches and updates for this game at this point, but whatever.

I have all the figures except for
Prince Vorkken
, which should have appeared in the collection when the character was unlocked.

Nope. Wonderful Files get unlocked with unlockable characters. You still have to unlock the figures. You should get that figure for doing Secret Mission 8 (a Regah) on 008-A on 101% hard.

But if you've completed all the Regahs as part of Operation Annihilation and still didn't get it then that is odd. I've never heard of that happening.

LocalE

Nope. Wonderful Files get unlocked with unlockable characters. You still have to unlock the figures. You should get that figure for doing Secret Mission 8 (a Regah) on 008-A on 101% hard.

But if you've completed all the Regahs as part of Operation Annihilation and still didn't get it then that is odd. I've never heard of that happening.

Yes, you are completely right, and I should have known better. But I knew something wasn't right, I knew I should have had it.
So I went and did the Kahkoo Regah again and 'poof'!, just what I needed. Thanks a bunch, I thought it was going to be a way worse glitch that screwed over my whole save file when I had it so close.

Alright, back to it so I can get these Wonderful Ones properly leveled up!

Been replaying this for the first time since it came out. Here are some random thoughts. Game is awesome... I think 006-B is the best level in the game... Just fantastic stuff there. The whole of 008 is pretty weak though. I wish Yellow and White were given bigger parts... Green is my favorite character, followed by Vorkken. I will never forgive Nintendo for not heavily advertising this game. Shit needed TV commercials up the wazoo. We'll probably never get a sequel now :(.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I love reading impressions from you guys late to the party on this one.

What an awesome game it is. I should do a replay soon too!

Gino

I just got this game and am now wondering why I waited so long. The demo actually soured me on it a little but now that I'm going through the missions it's reminding me of viewtiful joe and I'm loving it.

The shop in perticular and building up all the attacks is a great callback from vj.

It's awesome. I actually feel bad for buying it at just 23$ off amazon

I just unlocked
Unite Cannon
and
Chewgi
today (dat Perfect Driver achievement got me raging quite a few times). It's kind of weird because I got
Unite Big
quite a few days ago, so I'm not sure what the requirements are for it and the related achievement. At first I thought it might be to have 100 characters at level 4, but I didn't, even including the few secret ones I have.

I've been meaning to post about the story for a while too. What's everyone's take on
what Jerghinga and co. claimed, about the future tyrannical Galactic Coalition
? It all sounded very
Gurren Lagann
(appropriately enough, I guess). I was half expecting to
travel to the future and take on the Coalition itself
before the end, but I guess there's a limit to how ambitious a game can be. I wonder if that'll be the premise of W101 2, if it ever gets made?

Shun

How do you guys get the achievements and beat each level on Platinum? My mind is going nuts because of those damn Virgin Victory missions, especially after beating Jergingah, I can't seem to go through without getting hit.

For the All Platinum requirement do you have to play on normal or what cause even then I'm having trouble Platinuming and Pure Platinuming stages.

You can get any of the achievements on any difficulty unless specifically mentioned.

So if getting Platinum's are too hard to do on the other difficulties, go Easy or Very Easy, but you must get the trophies completely across a single difficulty. Honestly this bottlecap seemed like the most daunting when I heard about it, but as I went through the game again to get the Hero Hearts and missing Wonderful Ones, I was getting Plats all over the place on Normal. It's honestly very easy to do as long as you don't die since each death brings the entire rank down a level regardless. You can take hits since you just need Platinum, not Pure Platinum which requires absolute perfection to get.

So for 009-C, don't worry about getting hit during the escape.

You can get any of the achievements on any difficulty unless specifically mentioned.

"Specifically mentioned" includes the "Find/Complete all the Kahkoo-Regah/Secret Missions" ones, which need to be done on ALL the applicable difficulties (Normal and above for KRs, all difficulties for Secret Missions). I composed and printed a checklist with them for myself to help with this.

The ones I'm definitely not looking forward to doing are the "Find all underground items/toilets". Having completed the game twice and playing a lot more of it since, any that I don't already have must be quite well hidden, and with no way of knowing even what mission they're on... ugh.

Shun

Oh alright, thanks.

I platinumed missions so far on normal and I guess the only trouble I'm having right now is with the rail shooting stages.

Orochi and the underwater/volcano shooting missions are always keeping me at gold, especially Orochi because of the time it takes. I never seem to break 8-9 minutes for that boss and it's definitely bringing down my score.

The rail shooters are also a pain :/

Well, I finally started Wonderful 101. It's pretty fun so far! I've gotten the hang of launching enemies which is always fun in these types of games. I'm not good at keeping them up in the air, though.. any tips?

Also, what are some good upgrades I should prioritize first? I already have the dodge and guts unites. What else in terms of unites and skills?

Once you start learning Wonderful Cyclone you can juggle enemies a lot more consistently. The strategy is that you launch an enemy, then do Wonderful Cyclone. While the Cyclone is going, draw your next morph and without forming it, do the cyclone motion again with the control stick and when you press A, you'll shift into the second morph and it'll do Wonderful Cyclone immediately. So for example you'd use Sword and then do Wonderful Rising and then Cyclone. While the Cyclone animation is going, draw a circle for Hand without pressing A, do the Wonderful Cyclone motion and press A to shift into Unite Hand that'll do Wonderful Cyclone. Do this again but shifting to Sword and you can extend the combo. Once you get more Morphs you can make the combo much more complex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHbPXNJvVE&t=04m42s

As for Wonderful Mart suggestions...

Attack Liner and Speed Liner for Skills.
Speed Charge, Unite Charge, and Hero Time for Custom blocks.
Treasure Sensor for Items (makes it easier to get certain bottlecap achievements the sooner you get this item), but don't bother with it until after Operation 003 is complete.
Unite Tombstone for Unite Morphs. The others are more useful for item hunting than battle so I'd say put them off until later.

Not everything is available from the start and I don't remember when they become available, so I'd just suggest:

Speed Charge -> Speed Liner -> Attack Liner -> Unite Charge.

Unlocking Custom Block spaces take a while and Speed Charge would help you out more as a beginner trying to learn how to fight the different enemies as it'll let you make more morphs and make them quicker. Once you're more accustomed to tactics, the Unite Charge will help you make giant morphs instantly. Speed Liner will help you make morphs quicker and Attack Liner helps recharge the Unite Gauge really quickly.

Just remember to use the Item Mixer in the Wonderful Mart to create credit cards which allow one item purchase free of charge.

Thanks so much for the tips and which unites/skills to get first. Gonna jot those down for when I next play. :) There's a lot to keep track of on the battlefield.. reading enemy "tells" can be a bit hard when there's so many of them on the screen at times, lol. That combo in the video is crazy. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to pull off the more flashy combos, lol.

---

Damn, Platinum's games always lower my self confidence. :p I get "consolation prizes" after most major missions because I die like 3+ times on the bosses, lol. Same thing happened to me during Bayonetta.

I don't mean to double post (but I needed to bump this thread to talk about the game!), but I just beat Operation 007. This game is so awesome. I wasn't sure how well I would enjoy it based off videos and me disliking the whole Saturday morning cartoon/Power Rangers-ish vibe it has, but... It's so fun most of the time. I really dislike the flying/driving or falling platform sections (they just aren't fun and very frustrating due to the camera most of the time), but everything else is aces.

I had the BIGGEST smile on my face during the
"Punch Out!!" boss encounter.
That shit was awesome, lol.

Proven

I don't mean to double post (but I needed to bump this thread to talk about the game!), but I just beat Operation 007. This game is so awesome. I wasn't sure how well I would enjoy it based off videos and me disliking the whole Saturday morning cartoon/Power Rangers-ish vibe it has, but... It's so fun most of the time. I really dislike the flying/driving or falling platform sections (they just aren't fun and very frustrating due to the camera most of the time), but everything else is aces.

I had the BIGGEST smile on my face during the
"Punch Out!!" boss encounter.
That shit was awesome, lol.

Operation 007? Ah, you ain't seen nothing yet. You still have the rest of the third act to finish.

English dub. They know exactly what kind of game this is and they eat it up. Charlie Schlatter as Wonder Red in particular was incredible.

Top Bottom