• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

RiggyRob

I've been home for a while and I've played through a few operations (003 to 005 plus the Wonderful Missions) and I have to say... although the concept of the game is amazing and when it works together, it's a really good game, I kind of understand why Platinum games bomb so hard if they're all like the Wonderful 101 in nature.

I've been home for a while and I've played through a few operations (003 to 005 plus the Wonderful Missions) and I have to say... although the concept of the game is amazing and when it works together, it's a really good game, I kind of understand why Platinum games bomb so hard if they're all like the Wonderful 101 in nature.

Um... meaning? Describe the "nature" at least! :D

Proven

I guess he's trying to say that if everything doesn't come together or the player misses something or doesn't want to put in a certain amount of effort, the game falls apart for them.

RiggyRob

Um... meaning? Describe the "nature" at least! :D

Well, I went into it blind about what Platinum games are like, on Normal difficulty - after completing the Prologue, I went into a fight against the armoured turret that took twenty minutes. Silly me had forgotten to buy the block Unite Guts which is essential to defeating them. I just don't see any good reason why you would not have the block and dodge moves automatically especially since you're given them in the demo.

As to the 'nature' of it - there's the feeling that it's supposed to be fast, high-octane action thriller but sometimes the awkward controls and camera angles fall flat on its face. In Operation 003, there's a section where you have to navigate a rotating cylinder and defeat enemies that are floating in the air, and then you have to dash through falling sections, and if you fail a jump because the camera didn't show the right angle you start again, all the while the 'cinematic' music is blaring out.

I imagine the Wonderful 101 is a game you play multiple times to challenge yourself and see all the secrets, but it wouldn't have killed them to try and make the player think they achieved something in a single playthrough. That's not to say I don't like the game, it's great, but it feels like they made certain choices because of the attitude 'if you fail, just get good at it'.

Well, I went into it blind about what Platinum games are like, on Normal difficulty - after completing the Prologue, I went into a fight against the armoured turret that took twenty minutes. Silly me had forgotten to buy the block Unite Guts which is essential to defeating them. I just don't see any good reason why you would not have the block and dodge moves automatically especially since you're given them in the demo.

Yeah, that's pretty much inexcusable. It's more or less particular to this games as far as I know; Bayonetta for example did give you Dodge from the start (with Witch Time, even), and has no block.

As to the 'nature' of it - there's the feeling that it's supposed to be fast, high-octane action thriller but sometimes the awkward controls and camera angles fall flat on its face. In Operation 003, there's a section where you have to navigate a rotating cylinder and defeat enemies that are floating in the air, and then you have to dash through falling sections, and if you fail a jump because the camera didn't show the right angle you start again, all the while the 'cinematic' music is blaring out.

Yeah, again, this is specific to W101 due to its fixed camera, which in turn I'm guessing has to do with mapping the right analog to the Wonder Liner. Not to say other P* games don't have camera issues, but they did seem more blatant here.

I imagine the Wonderful 101 is a game you play multiple times to challenge yourself and see all the secrets, but it wouldn't have killed them to try and make the player think they achieved something in a single playthrough. That's not to say I don't like the game, it's great, but it feels like they made certain choices because of the attitude 'if you fail, just get good at it'.

I don't know, I did feel like I achieved a lot during my first playthrough, and found it immensely satisfying, in spite of all these issues. I personally thing they don't overshadow the legitimately challenging parts, which I love.

Heroman

Banned
Just finish misson 1c
tumblr_lpg3so4bvm1qiy6q1.gif

Does the game get more epic than that?

RiggyRob

Yeah, that's pretty much inexcusable. It's more or less particular to this games as far as I know; Bayonetta for example did give you Dodge from the start (with Witch Time, even), and has no block.

Yeah, again, this is specific to W101 due to its fixed camera, which in turn I'm guessing has to do with mapping the right analog to the Wonder Liner. Not to say other P* games don't have camera issues, but they did seem more blatant here.

I don't know, I did feel like I achieved a lot during my first playthrough, and found it immensely satisfying, in spite of all these issues. I personally thing they don't overshadow the legitimately challenging parts, which I love.

I don't know, I guess Platinum games suffer from having amazing concepts but not so amazing execution.

For example, Madworld is fun, has a strange but distinctive comic book black, white and red art style and getting Greg Proops and John DiMaggio as commentators was a stroke of fucking genius - but the game itself is far too short, same with Vanquish. Anarchy Reigns is a brawler featuring most of their undoubtably great fighting characters, and yet there's no local multiplayer. Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising are arguably their best quality games and even then they sell below expectations or had to be tied to one of the biggest IPs in videogame history to sell well.

But enough about that - in time I think I'll come to appreciate The Wonderful 101 more especially as I work my way through to the ending.

Proven

You can also take out Tanks by just throwing your dudes on them until they're stunned, then running behind them and beating them up. That's the actual level zero strategy. Level 0.5 would be stunning them before drawing a circle around them to pick them up and throw them.

Level one would be Guts and level two would be using certain weapons like Unite Bazooka and Unite Hammer.

RiggyRob

You can also take out Tanks by just throwing your dudes on them until they're stunned, then running behind them and beating them up. That's the actual level zero strategy. Level 0.5 would be stunning them before drawing a circle around them to pick them up and throw them.

Level one would be Guts and level two would be using certain weapons like Unite Bazooka and Unite Hammer.

Doesn't the armour block team attack? In any case it was frustrating the first time I fought them, and I don't think the game tells you can stun enemies using team attack at that point (at least I didn't know until I watched Saur's videos).

Proven

Doesn't the armour block team attack? In any case it was frustrating the first time I fought them, and I don't think the game tells you can stun enemies using team attack at that point (at least I didn't know until I watched Saur's videos).

They encourage you to use it at the beginning of the level I believe (I might just be mixing it up with the demo) but don't outright say that it stuns the enemy. And because drawing and attacking with a big fist or huge sword is more appealing, people usually stick to that and go back to learn the Team Attack later. But it's still the base capability you have that allows you some possibility beat Hoe Down Tanks without any other morphs or upgrades.

And yeah, the armor makes it that you have to circle strafe them while hitting the button. But you tend to do it anyway after getting hit by its cannon once.

Frodo

Geez, I'm dying inside because I need this game's soundtrack and it will probably never be released.

Such great music!!!.

TW101 will go down as one of the most under appreciated gems in gaming history. Just like almost every single Platinum Games' game.

Roto13

I finally convinced my friend to buy this and he beat Ohrowchi today and he's enjoying it a lot. (Partially thanks to the advice I've been giving him, I'm sure.) It put me in the mood to go back to it and play it again. So many little nuances to the combat that I didn't remember.

Still pissed off at how unreasonably hard it is to unlock a lot of those characters, though.

Just bought the game today and it really throws you into the deep end before teaching you how to swim. Need to check some strategy videos online.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So, people in Europe can get this game for free if they buy Mario Kart 8.
Us Americans do not...

Does NoA have something against this game? First they release two days before GTA V, and now it's being excluded in the Mario Kart 8 campaign. Granted, a lot of other games are being excluded but still...

RiggyRob

So, people in Europe can get this game for free if they buy Mario Kart 8.
Us Americans do not...

Does NoA have something against this game? First they release two days before GTA V, and now it's being excluded in the Mario Kart 8 campaign. Granted, a lot of other games are being excluded but still...

In fairness, they have permanently reduced the price on the US eShop to $30.

Anyone have any tips for doing the
punch-out fights
without taking damage? Trying to unlock
Wonder Goggles.
would it be considered weak of me to try it on easy?

I did that on Very Easy just so I could get through the first part of the fight as soon as possible any time I messed up.

There's a couple of tricks. At the end of the tutorial segment as you're going through the lava, you'll get a free laser gauge that they want you to use on the enemies before the boss fight. Do not use that laser. Just use punches to destroy the enemies that way you start the fight will a full laser. Dodge an attack, get one punch, laser and then that's like 1/3 of his health gone. If you're good at mashing you can get more than half the laser gauge filled again while the boss is recovering.

The other is getting Stars, but the fastest way to get that is with counters and that's super risky to do if you're going for the bottle cap. You can also earn them by attacking fast enough with alternating punches after dodging. However, there appear to be certain conditions that determine how fast you can punch during a punish.

This is all based on things I've seen mentioned in 101 discussions across boards I go to after I got all the bottlecaps so I can't personally verify how accurate they are.

The speed you can punch though is based on what tell he uses before his attack and what attack you use to punish.
If he wiggles his eyebrow, use punches to the face by holding up while attacking. If his eye flashes, use punches to the stomach. You should be able to punch him fast enough to make him "vomit" and earn a star. Do this enough and you'll get all three stars allowing for an instant KO, especially on Very Easy and with mashing skills.

I did that on Very Easy just so I could get through the first part of the fight as soon as possible any time I messed up.

There's a couple of tricks. At the end of the tutorial segment as you're going through the lava, you'll get a free laser gauge that they want you to use on the enemies before the boss fight. Do not use that laser. Just use punches to destroy the enemies that way you start the fight will a full laser. Dodge an attack, get one punch, laser and then that's like 1/3 of his health gone. If you're good at mashing you can get more than half the laser gauge filled again while the boss is recovering.

The other is getting Stars, but the fastest way to get that is with counters and that's super risky to do if you're going for the bottle cap. You can also earn them by attacking fast enough with alternating punches after dodging. However, there appear to be certain conditions that determine how fast you can punch during a punish.

This is all based on things I've seen mentioned in 101 discussions across boards I go to after I got all the bottlecaps so I can't personally verify how accurate they are.

The speed you can punch though is based on what tell he uses before his attack and what attack you use to punish.
If he wiggles his eyebrow, use punches to the face by holding up while attacking. If his eye flashes, use punches to the stomach. You should be able to punch him fast enough to make him "vomit" and earn a star. Do this enough and you'll get all three stars allowing for an instant KO, especially on Very Easy and with mashing skills.

Wow thanks! I didn't even know that thing about the eyes and eyebrows. I've always punched after dodging but I havent figured out how to counter yet
after clocking in 70+ hours of playtime.

Joei

Ok, so here we go again. I bought this game around Thanksgiving at Target's B2G1 sale. I played about 5 hours and got so frustrated and disgusted, but most importantly bored. I think I got bored because I had no idea what was going on, would die and wouldn't learn anything because I start right back up again with the boss where he was at healthwise before I died. That said, there IS something that made me want to go back. I do love the graphic style and cheesy characters are entertaining enough for me. The little humor I read in the game was right up my alley as well.

So, I played again yesterday for a few hours and actually was doing somewhat better than I remember. I watched the Saur vids before starting up to help out, but I know I need to watch the first two again now that I played a little. Does anyone have any tips on how to play this game more effectively? Battlewsise, I seemed to do better than I remember, but it still felt like a clusterfuck at the beginning. There were those periods where I was like, ok, I got this... and then, uh, no, what just happened? How did I just die there?

RiggyRob

Ok, so here we go again. I bought this game around Thanksgiving at Target's B2G1 sale. I played about 5 hours and got so frustrated and disgusted, but most importantly bored. I think I got bored because I had no idea what was going on, would die and wouldn't learn anything because I start right back up again with the boss where he was at healthwise before I died. That said, there IS something that made me want to go back. I do love the graphic style and cheesy characters are entertaining enough for me. The little humor I read in the game was right up my alley as well.

So, I played again yesterday for a few hours and actually was doing somewhat better than I remember. I watched the Saur vids before starting up to help out, but I know I need to watch the first two again now that I played a little. Does anyone have any tips on how to play this game more effectively? Battlewsise, I seemed to do better than I remember, but it still felt like a clusterfuck at the beginning. There were those periods where I was like, ok, I got this... and then, uh, no, what just happened? How did I just die there?

Remember to use Team Attack, you can lock onto enemies and teleport to them to attack.
You can slow down time and move while you're drawing as long as the right thumstick is being moved, even slightly.
Remember to get the Dodge and Block abilities, they're essential.
If all else fails, lower the difficulty.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Remember to use Team Attack, you can lock onto enemies and teleport to them to attack.
You can slow down time and move while you're drawing as long as the right thumstick is being moved, even slightly.
Remember to get the Dodge and Block abilities, they're essential.
If all else fails, lower the difficulty.
And the Y button makes you run and more importantly has all your dudes come near the leader, it helps figuring out where the guy you're controlling is. Regarding that, try to look for the circle on the ground rather than the character itself.

I'm still taking it very slow through this game. My final goal is to get all bottle caps and get that final hardest character to get but I still suck at this game so it might take me a few years of trying lol

this game is so epic
p0QHO.gif

leroidys

I'm still taking it very slow through this game. My final goal is to get all bottle caps and get that final hardest character to get but I still suck at this game so it might take me a few years of trying lol

this game is so epic
p0QHO.gif

Yeah I still tell myself that I'll get all the bottlecaps some day... lawl. Overdelivered on content for sure.

Joei

Oh my d;fljasdflkj god. What is up with that one Prince boss early on who does the same moves you do? He keeps killing me in like 10 seconds, I've probably died like 50x on him. I don't understand how to learn how to beat him.

RiggyRob

Oh my d;fljasdflkj god. What is up with that one Prince boss early on who does the same moves you do? He keeps killing me in like 10 seconds, I've probably died like 50x on him. I don't understand how to learn how to beat him.

Oh yeah, Vorkken's got some bullshit moves (impossible to dodge bladed hang-glider anyone?)

My advice is to try and keep all of your people together, you can actually block some of his moves but only if you have enough people to form a strong Unite Guts, otherwise you'll get smashed through it. Also, keep moving and don't get greedy in trying to combo him and his team.

I found myself replaying early levels so I can gain fruits to mix and create credit cards to buy expensive things
anyone remember which stage - mission has the most fruits for my mixing plan?

Yeah I still tell myself that I'll get all the bottlecaps some day... lawl. Overdelivered on content for sure.

this game has enough content for a trilogy, I'm afraid by the time I learn how to fight better and clear things for bottle caps. I wont have any fun playing with
Bayonetta as team leader

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I just got the "beat Vaiki before growing big" cap and the "Super Unite Morph" cap (I had to look up what this meant, draw a 100-man morph for someone like Wonder-Captain or Wonder-Scarf)

Here are some I have questions about

Operation Annihilation (I hear this includes the Secret Missions on VE and Easy. Is that true?)
Mind if I Borrow That? (I'm... not sure what weapons I've picked up or not. Does this part also mean using them? Is there a list?)

I found myself replaying early levels so I can gain fruits to mix and create credit cards to buy expensive things
anyone remember which stage - mission has the most fruits for my mixing plan?

Don't do that. The game runs out of stuff to buy way before you get most of the bottlecaps; I'm sitting at over 30 million, having spent enough fruits on cheap items (to get the 100 items cooked bottlecap) to make more than ten credit cards. Play the game normally and you'll get everything long before you tire of it.

Operation Annihilation (I hear this includes the Secret Missions on VE and Easy. Is that true?)

Yep, it does, but that particular bottlecap is ONLY for the secret missions excluding the Kahkoo-Regah. Of course, you still need those for two other secret characters, so...

Mind if I Borrow That? (I'm... not sure what weapons I've picked up or not. Does this part also mean using them? Is there a list?)

There's a Kahkoo-Regah that has all of them (I think), and you even need to unearth them all to get the achievement for all the secret hammer spots (which itself was much easier for me to get than I expected: I feared it would be my last one to get).

Top Bottom