• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Answers in bold. To clarify, I did actually look at the shop before moving onto 001-A, but I moved on without buying anything purposefully, because I thought I'd save the money until I needed it.

I think The Wonderful 101 is an awesome game and it was well worth getting it, but I've mentioned before in this thread that some decisions that were made about it seem to have been made in favour of the 'git gud' mentality.

It's just I can't understand how it is the game's fault that you made poor decisions when using the shop.

It's like claiming it's the game's fault that you got destroyed fighting the turtle enemies for the first time because you only used Fist instead of Hammer, which was given to you mere seconds earlier.

But this is getting too drawn out. We simply have different mentalities with how we approach games and we'll just leave it at that.

just played the game for a couple of hours, had some problems against those cannon-enemies types, is there an easy and fast way to kill them by any chance? They take forever unless I get their weapon. and damn this giant map, it's hard to see every enemy attack especially when they're not in the camera range.
is it explained in the story why everyone is a dwarf? :_D

by the way, a few questions:

- if I want to replay a section in order to get a better rank, how can I do it? What I want to do is - start mission 1 - I get a bronze in the third part of the mission? Well then, I want to restart that part. is there any way to do this? If I go for "retry" is it going to start the mission from the beginning, or just retrying the current section of the mission? If the latter then I guess I have to hit retry before I get the rank, or else I can't retry that part of the mission at all.

- is it important to get decent ranks? If it's only a matter of points then I can just ignore that.

- can I use those right-stick moves to get something done during a fight? Damaging enemies somehow?

For the tanks, use Unite Guts on EVERYTHING they do. Cannon balls, ramming, jumping, all of it gets beaten by Unite Guts. The audio cues are much more important than visual cues in this case, so even if they are off screen, use Unite Guts as soon as you hear them do anything.

Retry will take you back to the last auto-save point you got to, so if you get a low rank Retry can help you...sometimes. The auto-saves are not consistent in each operation so trying to abuse them for better ranks isn't a very reliable strategy I found.

I wouldn't worry about ranks at all on your first playthrough though. You're way too under-leveled, under-equipped, and unfamiliar with enemies at that point to pull off the combo and killing efficiency needed for higher ranks.

On the bright side, ranks are only important if you're going after the Bottlecap achievements and you can get those ranks on Easy and Very Easy and they'll still count. But, no, ranks are not important in the grand scheme of the game. You'll experience the game and its story the same even if you get a mountain of consolation prizes.

The Right Stick Moves? I'm going to assume you mean the Wonder Liner where your guys all line up as you draw the morph symbols. There is a powerup that allows the Wonder Liner itself to deal damage as well as another one that speeds it up. It can be used for attacking in certain situations but I got the most use out of it by running the Liner over enemies because as you do that you'll recharge your Unite Gauge almost instantly. The Wonder Liner can also pick up distant items or recover dizzy allies so if they get scattered by an attack, make long Liner and just run it over your team members.

RiggyRob

It's just I can't understand how it is the game's fault that you made poor decisions when using the shop.

It's like claiming it's the game's fault that you got destroyed fighting the turtle enemies for the first time because you only used Fist instead of Hammer, which was given to you mere seconds earlier.

But this is getting too drawn out. We simply have different mentalities with how we approach games and we'll just leave it at that.

So it's the player's fault that the game does a bad job in explaining the fact the dodge and block are needed by the player? I didn't make a poor decision, I deliberately chose not to buy anything in the shop. The fact that it was a poor decision doesn't become apparent until you have the benefit of hindsight so that you can say 'Yes, having the block would have made the armoured turret fight much easier'.

Except it isn't, because the game gives you the Hammer, and explains to you how to use it. It doesn't do that with the dodge or block and it should have done. The Prologue would have been the perfect time to introduce it to the player. The last game I played that was similar to The Wonderful 101 was Viewtiful Joe, which gives you the dodge automatically, and explains to you how to use it.

Your mentality seems to be 'Well I knew what to do, clearly everyone else must have been stupid and they deserve their punishment'. You have at least two people posting recently that said they had trouble with the armoured turret, because they couldn't use the block on it. Surely you have to accept that when it's not limited to one person, it's the game's poor design?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
At this point I think it should be generally accepted that there's some bizarre design-related "bad habits" in several stylish action games, mostly relating to locking a few core character moves behind a shop or something - and not highlighting those to the player.

The Wonderful 101 does it, Bayonetta locked a few basic movement/evade options, Metal Gear Rising does it (it's not even a Kamiya game).

I can't blame people for getting confused by the games due to this. IMO a better standard for these games would be to have every move available in a basic version immediately, and use experience/money/bloody kitten hearts to upgrade them to advanced versions which then grant new abilities.

Finalow

For the tanks, use Unite Guts on EVERYTHING they do. Cannon balls, ramming, jumping, all of it gets beaten by Unite Guts. The audio cues are much more important than visual cues in this case, so even if they are off screen, use Unite Guts as soon as you hear them do anything.

Retry will take you back to the last auto-save point you got to, so if you get a low rank Retry can help you...sometimes. The auto-saves are not consistent in each operation so trying to abuse them for better ranks isn't a very reliable strategy I found.

I wouldn't worry about ranks at all on your first playthrough though. You're way too under-leveled, under-equipped, and unfamiliar with enemies at that point to pull off the combo and killing efficiency needed for higher ranks.

On the bright side, ranks are only important if you're going after the Bottlecap achievements and you can get those ranks on Easy and Very Easy and they'll still count. But, no, ranks are not important in the grand scheme of the game. You'll experience the game and its story the same even if you get a mountain of consolation prizes.

The Right Stick Moves? I'm going to assume you mean the Wonder Liner where your guys all line up as you draw the morph symbols. There is a powerup that allows the Wonder Liner itself to deal damage as well as another one that speeds it up. It can be used for attacking in certain situations but I got the most use out of it by running the Liner over enemies because as you do that you'll recharge your Unite Gauge almost instantly. The Wonder Liner can also pick up distant items or recover dizzy allies so if they get scattered by an attack, make long Liner and just run it over your team members.
I see, thanks. you can use the wonder liner on enemies to recover the unite gauge without any upgrade? That could be pretty useful.

Proven

Answers in bold. To clarify, I did actually look at the shop before moving onto 001-A, but I moved on without buying anything purposefully, because I thought I'd save the money until I needed it.

I think The Wonderful 101 is an awesome game and it was well worth getting it, but I've mentioned before in this thread that some decisions that were made about it seem to have been made in favour of the 'git gud' mentality.

A shop is often there to help you alleviate a frustrating situation. It feels like you're complaining that it's possible to get into a frustrating position at all.

In the case where someone uses all their money on healing items, it's still very possible to just use those healing items and muscle your way through those enemies. If you give up on the level and select game over, then you should have also gained enough money getting up to that tank part to then buy the item, hopefully with the mindset "well that didn't help... what else is there?".

And yes, the P* symbol being there is supposed to be your developer highlighted hint. Besides, how are you supposed to know that the block can be used against projectiles without experimenting or looking for help?

And this entire argument isn't limited to just this genre or this developer. They're just the most readily available comparisons.

Finalow

what should I get with the Wonderful Card? Ukemi is the most expensive of the ones I've unlocked and it seems a pretty good move but I'm not sure that I'll be able to use it correctly and I don't even know what's the timing.

what should I get with the Wonderful Card? Ukemi is the most expensive of the ones I've unlocked and it seems a pretty good move but I'm not sure that I'll be able to use it correctly and I don't even know what's the timing.

After Guts and Spring, I went for a Custom Block. I forget what's available right at the start but I would suggest Unite Charge so your Unite Gauge refills faster or Hero Time so that timed dodges slow down time allowing you to go to town on the enemy.

After getting one of those, go for Wonder Liner upgrades. It's really up to you, but all I can say with certainty is save Unite Rocket for last. It's super worthless. Once you start learning Wonderful Rising skills for a couple of morphs, go for Unite Tombstone. It's killer for mid-air combos.

Ukemi is essential. The timing is quite lenient even with poor reflexes like mine; simply try to hit jump at the same time your character hits the ground. It cancels ALL damage, which is crazy. Probably the most important of the blocks, along with Hero Time.

Also, don't worry about Wonderful Cards. Eventually you have enough vegetables to make tons of them, but by then you have nothing left to buy. Keep getting the most expensive stuff.

Finalow

well I already got rocket after the dodge and the block, it wasn't much expensive and I thought it was useful. I'll get the rest that you guys suggested.

for ukemi, do I have to press the button after I get hit by the killing blow, during the death animation?

Ukemi can be used any time you get hit, not just fatal blows. Press the button when your character is about to hit the ground after being hit. It can be used on any attack except for attacks that squish.

A neat thing about it is that if you use Ukemi correctly, it doesn't count as damage toward your rank. So you can get hit a dozen times but if you use Ukemi correctly each time, your damage rank in the results screen will be 0, which makes it pretty essential for Pure Platinum rank attempts.

Finalow

Ukemi can be used any time you get hit, not just fatal blows. Press the button when your character is about to hit the ground after being hit. It can be used on any attack except for attacks that squish.

A neat thing about it is that if you use Ukemi correctly, it doesn't count as damage toward your rank. So you can get hit a dozen times but if you use Ukemi correctly each time, your damage rank in the results screen will be 0, which makes it pretty essential for Pure Platinum rank attempts.
oh, wow, I thought it was only for fatal blows. I'm going to get this now.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ukemi is down-right game-breaking once you master it.
Just be warned, it only works if you're hit into the air. If you get flattened, it will not work.

Sagitario

I can't believe how much trouble the Punch-Out sections are giving me :\

And I seriously hate when this game switches to the GamePad and you have to be aware of attacks in both screens at the same time. I've made peace with the game's camera but not with this.

Ukemi is essential. The timing is quite lenient even with poor reflexes like mine; simply try to hit jump at the same time your character hits the ground. It cancels ALL damage, which is crazy. Probably the most important of the blocks, along with Hero Time.
I had no idea Ukemi's timing was so lenient. I'm buying it ASAP!

Also, don't worry about Wonderful Cards. Eventually you have enough vegetables to make tons of them, but by then you have nothing left to buy. Keep getting the most expensive stuff.
During the first normal playthrough (not replaying operations), you can make probably 3 or 4 cards.

Ukemi is down-right game-breaking once you master it.
Just be warned, it only works if you're hit into the air. If you get flattened, it will not work.
What about a ground hit without getting fattened?

I can't believe how much trouble the Punch-Out sections are giving me :\

I posted this earlier when someone else was having trouble with those so I'll just copy paste and hopefully it'll help.

I did that on Very Easy just so I could get through the first part of the fight as soon as possible any time I messed up.

There's a couple of tricks. At the end of the tutorial segment as you're going through the lava, you'll get a free laser gauge that they want you to use on the enemies before the boss fight. Do not use that laser. Just use punches to destroy the enemies that way you start the fight will a full laser. Dodge an attack, get one punch, laser and then that's like 1/3 of his health gone. If you're good at mashing you can get more than half the laser gauge filled again while the boss is recovering.

The other is getting Stars, but the fastest way to get that is with counters and that's super risky to do if you're going for the bottle cap. You can also earn them by attacking fast enough with alternating punches after dodging. However, there appear to be certain conditions that determine how fast you can punch during a punish.

This is all based on things I've seen mentioned in 101 discussions across boards I go to after I got all the bottlecaps so I can't personally verify how accurate they are.

The speed you can punch though is based on what tell he uses before his attack and what attack you use to punish.
If he wiggles his eyebrow, use punches to the face by holding up while attacking. If his eye flashes, use punches to the stomach. You should be able to punch him fast enough to make him "vomit" and earn a star. Do this enough and you'll get all three stars allowing for an instant KO, especially on Very Easy and with mashing skills.

Finalow

hard to use ukemi when you can't see your character.
and damn, those tortoises took forever to kill. apparently you get an awful final rank if you used continues? I had 2 gold, 2 plat, 1 bronze and 1 silver iirc, still got consolation prize in the end.

also that GOOJIN boss fight, it's an interesting fight but holy fuck I had to use 4 continues 'cause it kept destroying the platform.

anyway, how can I see the level of the characters? Also how they level up and how do you unlock the skill cyclone? I read that you need to level up but jesus, I used blue a lot during chapter 2 and now 3 but I still didn't get it.

Jintor

characters actually take a shitload of xp to level up, but everyone (in that colour group) gets XP when you use a morph so it's not too bad. You can check levels on the gamepad screen.

Continues absolutely destroy rank, this has been true forever in platinum games. For Tortoises you'll want to use the largest possible hammer and try and rising + crashdown them, or if you're able, guts the legs, flip them on their side then whale on their bellies.

not being able to see your character is a huge problem

Finalow

characters actually take a shitload of xp to level up, but everyone (in that colour group) gets XP when you use a morph so it's not too bad. You can check levels on the gamepad screen.

Continues absolutely destroy rank, this has been true forever in platinum games. For Tortoises you'll want to use the largest possible hammer and try and rising + crashdown them, or if you're able, guts the legs, flip them on their side then whale on their bellies.

not being able to see your character is a huge problem
so I'm going to unlock cyclone really late in the game I suppose. I don't have rising for wonder-yellow yet, actually I only have the standard move. can't I at least see how much more exp they need?

I tried to use guts after the stomp but they somehow hit me anyway, I guess my timing was off.

anyway I saw some good videos on you tube about the combat, I still don't know how to taunt (I read on PG's blog that you have to stay still for some seconds or press A+B together but it doesn't work) and also I saw that you can actually have more than one weapon active in your party for a short period of time, if you press X instead of A after you draw the weapon. is that a good way to smash the enemies or it's better to do infinite combos by alternating weapons? (which I still can't do since you need to draw veeery fast)

also fuck the symbol for the hammer and whoever thought it was a good way to draw it.

Jintor

you can only guts the one-legged green stomp and you have to punch their stomach to knock them onto their back; if you hit their back or their sides they'll just bounce you off. there's bars on the xp bar on the gamepad that'll tell you, I think the 3rd segment unlocks rising?

basically turtles are assholes until you can reliably get a big hammer. The block that lets you just hold the morph button to get a bigger weapon is soooooooooo good

Finalow

you can only guts the one-legged green stomp and you have to punch their stomach to knock them onto their back; if you hit their back or their sides they'll just bounce you off. there's bars on the xp bar on the gamepad that'll tell you, I think the 3rd segment unlocks rising?

basically turtles are assholes until you can reliably get a big hammer. The block that lets you just hold the morph button to get a bigger weapon is soooooooooo good
I see, I was going to get that block as soon as I had another wonderful card.

I just finished the 3rd segment but I'm pretty sure that it didn't unlock the rising for the hammer. isn't it a move based on the level of the character anyway? Like cyclone and the other one.

Jintor

3rd segment of the xp bar i mean. yeah it's based off the level of the main character who is your colour leader.

if it's not the 3rd then it's probably the entire xp bar I guess

hard to use ukemi when you can't see your character.
and damn, those tortoises took forever to kill. apparently you get an awful final rank if you used continues? I had 2 gold, 2 plat, 1 bronze and 1 silver iirc, still got consolation prize in the end.

also that GOOJIN boss fight, it's an interesting fight but holy fuck I had to use 4 continues 'cause it kept destroying the platform.

anyway, how can I see the level of the characters? Also how they level up and how do you unlock the skill cyclone? I read that you need to level up but jesus, I used blue a lot during chapter 2 and now 3 but I still didn't get it.

Every death or using certain items drops your overall rank by one level regardless of performance.

During the Goojin fight, draw a circle around the damaged parts of the tower and you'll repair them.

Fighting the turtles, Guts does not work on the bite attack or the double-legged stomp and Unite Hand is immune to fire so when the fire pillars start coming, go fist. Guts a stomp, use Fist on the stomach while watching the other to see if it tries to bite you, when the turtle flips use Team Unites and Hammer and watch the health vanish.

Hammer is easier if done with two motions. Draw a line, return the control stick to neutral, draw a circle, you've made a hammer. Think of it as Sword + Fist = Hammer when drawing it.

The skills for Morphs are based around the average level of your Wonderful Ones of the same Morph. The large XP gauge in the corner does not relate to earning those skills however. It actually relates to how many custom blocks you can equip at once. At the start of the game you can only equip one but as your Wonderful Ones level up eventually you can equip more. Each marker on that gauge means a new Custom Block space is available.

Everything unlocks really late in the game. The first play through is really just a massive learning experience and the game is plenty fun for that already, but if you choose to start going through it again for the Bottlecaps, you'll be amazed when you simply start plowing through enemies like buttah and you start getting more complex with your combos. And that's when the game starts to get NUTS.

Finalow

ok, thanks for the info. I could retry some of the stages knowing this but it's probably better to wait for ng+. in the second run, if it's not too much time-consuming I could also try to get every Bottlecaps.

Jintor

hahahahaha

that's not a two or even three run thing. i mean at the least you need to do hard 101 and that's only unlocked after hard, so

Regiruler

I always wondered, does the tower getting hit in the Augment Goojin fight constitute as taking damage for the ranking? Shit's nearly impossible to fully stop.

Unify Naginata is useful when going back, but there's still that one unblockable slam.
ok, thanks for the info. I could retry some of the stages knowing this but it's probably better to wait for ng+. in the second run, if it's not too much time-consuming I could also try to get every Bottlecaps.
Every bottlecap? I'm 130 hours into the game and I am still missing some of the more difficult caps (which take the longest, a good majority of the caps are filler).
Good luck. You WILL need it, and may the Giga-Goojin have mercy on your soul.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I'm just missing that last Kakoo Regah on 101% Hard to unlock you-know-what and then it's just a matter of cleaning stuff up (Plat everywhere + every secret mission in all difficulties).

It's been a while I haven't played so finding the motivation to clear that last challenge is hard to find >_> took me a whole saturday afternoon to clear the last KR on Hard. When I did it, I ran laps in my living room to celebrate lol.

I've read some useful advice in this thread about how to counter the dude so there's that. Sigh.

Finalow

Every bottlecap? I'm 130 hours into the game and I am still missing some of the more difficult caps (which take the longest, a good majority of the caps are filler).
Good luck. You WILL need it, and may the Giga-Goojin have mercy on your soul.

that's not a two or even three run thing. i mean at the least you need to do hard 101 and that's only unlocked after hard, so
Lol, never mind then.

Sagitario

I guess I'm not going for the bottlecaps and I won't unlock
Bayonetta
then :p

Also fair game. Ukemi is used right when you land on the floor, so any attack that lifts you off the ground can be negated. Fortunately in this game, this means every attack except flattening ones!
I posted this earlier when someone else was having trouble with those so I'll just copy paste and hopefully it'll help.
Thanks! I will try later. I'm still on my normal run, so I'll probably play a hard run after it. I don't think I'm fit for the next difficulty setting [though I did clear Bayonetta's]

Every death or using certain items drops your overall rank by one level regardless of performance.

During the Goojin fight, draw a circle around the damaged parts of the tower and you'll repair them.

Fighting the turtles, Guts does not work on the bite attack or the double-legged stomp and Unite Hand is immune to fire so when the fire pillars start coming, go fist. Guts a stomp, use Fist on the stomach while watching the other to see if it tries to bite you, when the turtle flips use Team Unites and Hammer and watch the health vanish.

Hammer is easier if done with two motions. Draw a line, return the control stick to neutral, draw a circle, you've made a hammer. Think of it as Sword + Fist = Hammer when drawing it.

The skills for Morphs are based around the average level of your Wonderful Ones of the same Morph. The large XP gauge in the corner does not relate to earning those skills however. It actually relates to how many custom blocks you can equip at once. At the start of the game you can only equip one but as your Wonderful Ones level up eventually you can equip more. Each marker on that gauge means a new Custom Block space is available.

Everything unlocks really late in the game. The first play through is really just a massive learning experience and the game is plenty fun for that already, but if you choose to start going through it again for the Bottlecaps, you'll be amazed when you simply start plowing through enemies like buttah and you start getting more complex with your combos. And that's when the game starts to get NUTS.
I thought you had to ignite the hand first to become immune to fire. So, is it immune against fire attacks by default?

I tried to use guts after the stomp but they somehow hit me anyway, I guess my timing was off.

Perhaps the fire pillar that comes up after the stomp, or even a fire pillar caused by the other turtle, hit you?

and also I saw that you can actually have more than one weapon active in your party for a short period of time, if you press X instead of A after you draw the weapon. is that a good way to smash the enemies or it's better to do infinite combos by alternating weapons? (which I still can't do since you need to draw veeery fast)

It's a great way to burn a lot of the Unite Gauge to do lots of damage in a second. It's best use is for enemies that have small windows of vulnerability not affected by combos; classic example are giant crabs. Consider it your fighting game's Super Move, or your MMO's DPS spike. The one thing to remember is that you also need to have lots of Wonderful Ones to make up the morphs, and it usually leaves you without enough to attack yourself (but they de-morph quite fast anyway).

I guess I'm not going for the bottlecaps and I won't unlock
Bayonetta
then :p

I don't have
her
either, if that's any consolation. It's truly a tall order. To be fair, I still haven't completed my Hard 101 playthrough,

Thanks! I will try later. I'm still on my normal run, so I'll probably play a hard run after it. I don't think I'm fit for the next difficulty setting [though I did clear Bayonetta's]

I found Wonderful 101's higher difficulty levels a much softer curve than other P* games, actually. No new mechanics are introduced or removed (as opposed to, say, Viewtiful Joe's dodge marker removal), aside from the lack of slowdown while drawing, which is more a hindrance for juggles and combos than for simply getting by. Of course, being able to continue infinitely on the spot helps immensely as well. Getting good ranks, on the other hand...

I thought you had to ignite the hand first to become immune to fire. So, is it immune against fire attacks by default?

Actually, the NORMAL way to ignite the hand is to get hit by fire; getting it at 2.5x is just a nice bonus. Same with sword and lightning; it's not just immune to it, it will electrify it. :)

Finalow

Perhaps the fire pillar that comes up after the stomp, or even a fire pillar caused by the other turtle, hit you?
nah, I was trying to block the 2 legs stomp. guts it's becoming more and more useless vs new enemies, and I'm still in chapter 5.

Actually, the NORMAL way to ignite the hand is to get hit by fire; getting it at 2.5x is just a nice bonus. Same with sword and lightning; it's not just immune to it, it will electrify it. :)
I was wondering "how the fuck do I repel this" during the chapter 4 boss fight, then I thought about the sword and that section where you have to restore the generator's power or something. "woo-"

anyway, every character in the game is microscopic confirmed with chapter 5. did they wanted to give the game some Pikmin vibes? Lol.

Is there a good way to tell which attacks can be countered with Unite Guts and which can't? It's annoying when you expect to counter something and it just smashes you up.

Jintor

Is there a good way to tell which attacks can be countered with Unite Guts and which can't? It's annoying when you expect to counter something and it just smashes you up.

Blunt attacks can be gutsed, edged or spiky attacks can't is the general rule of thumb

Sagitario

I finished it last night, 3 words for the final mission: epic, hilarious, long. My mom and brothers were laughing last night when I beat the final boss [and my mom doesn't even know English :p]. That last QTE was amazing!

A few things I didn't like/enjoy at all:

-
Motherbrain
:)P) explaining the story/twist while
facing all the those
enemies. I couldn't read nor hear it properly with all
the action
, so what's the point of doing it that way?

- During the
4th phase [when you have to hit arms and legs]
, I had no idea if I was hitting the
legs
or not, the lock of the attacks was really clunky and made the fight longer than it needed to be.

- I know that Kamiya loves shooters, but what's the deal with putting flying/shooting sections in the most unexpected and out of place settings while introducing [new] awkward controls? It completely destroys the pace. The final mission would have been MUCH better without it. Not enough with ruining the score, it also (and most importantly) destroys the pacing of the mission. The game is so uneven when it comes to this part of its design [even in the final part, the developer is introducing new gimmicks/controls, like handling both ships at the same time with the two joysticks].

I like the game a lot, I think it's hilarious, fun and has great battle mechanics. I'll definitely play it again [now on hard] and I have already recommended it to friends, but the game could have used more time in the oven to polish things up [seriously, fix some loading and lock the frame rate, please!] and remove unnecessary things, like the double screen action sections and SO MUCH rail shooting :\ [even in Bayonetta, my favorite boss fight was locked behind a Space Harrier level -____-]. Stop it, Kamiya!

I don't have
her
either, if that's any consolation. It's truly a tall order. To be fair, I still haven't completed my Hard 101 playthrough,

I found Wonderful 101's higher difficulty levels a much softer curve than other P* games, actually. No new mechanics are introduced or removed (as opposed to, say, Viewtiful Joe's dodge marker removal), aside from the lack of slowdown while drawing, which is more a hindrance for juggles and combos than for simply getting by. Of course, being able to continue infinitely on the spot helps immensely as well. Getting good ranks, on the other hand...

I knew that, what I didn't know is that just having the Unite Hand out would make you immune to fire attacks (unless I read wrong).

I knew that, what I didn't know is that just having the Unite Hand out would make you immune to fire attacks (unless I read wrong).

Er, you must be, or I'm not understanding you. What I mean is that not only does having a hand morph make you immune to fire attacks; you actually get powered up (gain fire attacks) if you get hit by one. I don't see how you could know the latter and not the former, unless you thought you got powered up AND damaged at the same time, which doesn't make a lot of sense?

Finalow

to be honest I had no problems with that "punch-out" section. had more problems to figure things out 'cause I was too lazy to check them on the internet. "how the hell do you drop this motherfucking weapon I'm so slooooo- *gets hit*" - just an example.
it would have been nice a tutorial section on the menu, instead of explaining just some things during fights or not explaining them at all.

but oh well, as far as I remember, PG somehow doesn't like to do that.

anyway I'm really enjoying this game. good stuff so far.

jwluther

Playing through this game for the first time now. Loving it.

On Operation 005-C; just lost it at the line
"It's not revengeance that motivates me!"

Grisby

Not having the best experience so far, :( Made it past the first big boss guy but jesus this game throws a lot at you and explains so little. Like, the unite morphs didn't even seem to work half the time (on the dragon thing) and I felt like I got lucky when they decided they did want to work.

Any good advice for the armored tank guys? I know you can flip them over when they jump but the spike guys are destroying me.

Finalow

I still have no idea what that circle and that bar on the game-pad is, the one above the difficulty menu. I get it when I go into the the menu section before starting a mission and right now it's at 64, I can move it down to 20.

anyway I'm almost near the end, I feel like the story could have been much more detailed than this but it's not too bad, *Kamiya*. also some dialogues are pretty funny. it seems that the english translation took quite a bit of liberty and added some different and better lines, especially for the Blue-Green gags, but then again english voices aren't really the best.

I'm also missing a lot of files which they seem to add quite a bit of lore, the ones I've got so far are pretty interesting. I'm not sure how I missed more than 30 of them, the numbers say that there are 50 for both sides, or even more? Seems strange that there are some many though.

Jintor

that's the number of dudes you have in your party

files are hidden everywhere, you'll need to wonder-liner into windows and vents and whatever or finish alfheim portals or whatever

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
This game has been on my list since release. Finally got a Wii U and started. Loving every bit of it, but I have one complaint. Sometimes it's hard to tell what to do in certain scenarios. without getting hit first. It's hard to tell whether I should block, dodge, deflect with sword, etc. when faced with a brand new enemy. Am I just missing some sort of universal tell?

Jintor

well, the general rule of thumb is blunt = guts, edged/spikes = dodge, but really you do just have to learn from experience really.

Spring will dodge everything anyway, but no counter

The unite morph requiring 100 dudes failing on the dragon is a known error and I have no idea why it occurs

Typically because one stray dude or even yourself is missing from the 100. To solve it, get right by the thing you're forming (the eye in this case) and tap the right analog towards it a few times. Once you get a few secret characters it stops being an issue as you have more than 100 guys.

This game has been on my list since release. Finally got a Wii U and started. Loving every bit of it, but I have one complaint. Sometimes it's hard to tell what to do in certain scenarios. without getting hit first. It's hard to tell whether I should block, dodge, deflect with sword, etc. when faced with a brand new enemy. Am I just missing some sort of universal tell?

Basically:
Blunt/bash = Block or dodge
Spiky/edged = Dodge
Beam = Sword or dodge
Fire = Hand or dodge
Lightning = Sword or dodge
Exceptions: if an enemy is enraged (red and whistling steam), you can't block them.

When in doubt, dodge. :)

Top Bottom