• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

There are about 10 hidden characters and each of them have their own morph (some of them even replace morphs). Then there are also 1 or 2 extra general morphs.

I think the game would have sold better if some of these hidden characters where easily unlocked early in the chapters not 4-5 playthroughs and a full 101 bottle cap collection

To
lock Bayonetta away like that is brutal

it does seem like some of these later morphs could be over powered making the task not hard just time consuming, too much work means it won't feel fun.

I did not play today maybe tomorrow

I think the game would have sold better if some of these hidden characters where easily unlocked early in the chapters not 4-5 playthroughs and a full 101 bottle cap collection

To
lock Bayonetta away like that is brutal

it does seem like some of these later morphs could be over powered making the task not hard just time consuming, too much work means it won't feel fun.

I did not play today maybe tomorrow

Oh come on. It's one thing to complain about locked stuff being hard to get. But saying that it would have sold better, as if people at large made a point to learn how hard it is to unlock stuff in each game they consider buying and then base their purchases on that, is a whole new level of ridiculous.

I don't get your comment about learning there are more secrets in the game (like the Unite Big morphs, which are unlocked all at once and pretty easy to get). You were perfectly happy thinking that they weren't in the game, and discovering it has more content than you though, made you "extremely disappointed"? I simply don't get you.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
There were a number of factors on why The Wonderful 101 didn't sell.
Nintendo didn't market it (no idea why) + Wii U isn't in many homes + the artstyle could turn people off + Sentai/PR isn't as popular as it used to be + the reviews didn't really help.

"Unlocking the characters is hard" is NOT a valid reason. That's just outright ignorant. Who even does that?
"Oh boy, I can't wait to play the new Smash Bros! What? Getting Sonic requires me to beat the story mode?! Screw this game!"

If anything, unlocking the characters provides replay value, something that lot of modern games sorely lack.

Hell, most older games didn't have as much content as W101 does. This game is insane. It failing in the market causes me physical pain.

Oh come on. It's one thing to complain about locked stuff being hard to get. But saying that it would have sold better, as if people at large made a point to learn how hard it is to unlock stuff in each game they consider buying and then base their purchases on that, is a whole new level of ridiculous.

I don't get your comment about learning there are more secrets in the game (like the Unite Big morphs, which are unlocked all at once and pretty easy to get). You were perfectly happy thinking that they weren't in the game, and discovering it has more content than you though, made you "extremely disappointed"? I simply don't get you.

this game has much more features than was advertised
If you came out and said so and so was playable in the game it would have helped marketing the game. That video although spoiler only to characters not STORY so they should have used them to sell the game more.

instead the features are hidden behind spoiler tags here and time consuming bottle caps

I posted in this thread while waiting for the NA release everyone in the world was playing it before NA most of that stuff was spoiled but now I just spoiler tag things for people who are just getting a WiiU and I hope they can pick this game up

Yes it should have sold better and marketing failed to point out features
this game is niche even to hardcore and skill is important

I am disappointed that none of these features were advertised, I am extremely disappointed that I run out of bottle caps at the final unlock

that is bad design I would like to enjoy playing the game with the final unlock
but now I am thinking what is the point as soon as I get it nothing is left to do

She is just a trophy, it would have been better if unlocked early and used to do this bottle cap thing just for fun

If I get her now I'll have nothing left to do, do you understand my disappointment now?

There were a number of factors on why The Wonderful 101 didn't sell.
Nintendo didn't market it (no idea why) + Wii U isn't in many homes + the artstyle could turn people off + Sentai/PR isn't as popular as it used to be + the reviews didn't really help.

"Unlocking the characters is hard" is NOT a valid reason. That's just outright ignorant. Who even does that?
"Oh boy, I can't wait to play the new Smash Bros! What? Getting Sonic requires me to beat the story mode?! Screw this game!"

If anything, unlocking the characters provides replay value, something that lot of modern games sorely lack.

This is not a fighter or a racer and the last unlock is not unlocked after story mode, it is unlocked after playing the game at least 4 times on every difficulty, beating all secret challenges. Collecting all bottle caps. You are done. I am not against the replay value of the bottle caps just saying that as fully featured as those hidden characters are it would have added to the first and second play throughs.

I just unlocked my first hidden with 66 bottle caps most of these bottle caps do not require the skill of the hidden characters themselves

like getting Punchout this does not use any unite morphs so having those charters ahead of time does not hurt replay value or make bottle caps easier

just saying if I have to put 60-80 hours into unlocks by the time I get the final unlock I would have loved to have enjoyed those hours using them on something

Some guys here have set up their own goals of getting Pure Platinum on everything
my goal is to just unlock the final unlock there is no other bottle cap after that

the only thing I love about these unlocks is the fact that anyone else would have made them DLC but not Kamiya so I have to give him credit for that.

Edit: Just a note to say how I remember Rosalina being treated in 3D World marketing
she was not treated as a spoiler and was not unlock able until 2 stages after the game was over. But you got her and you still had more stages you could do. I love Rosalina as much as the last character in this game.

3D World is a great game but not in my top 5 if I had to list them but The Wonderful 101 would make my top 5 my problem is after I unlocked Rosalina I had new content I could try with her not only replay stages. New stages help me enjoy playing as her, with her set of skills.

I love this game but disappointed at the placement of that character, when you get her you don't have new content and you already replayed everything multiple times.

I want to go to Mt. Splashmore!
Take me, take me, take me, take me now!
Now! Now! Now! Now! Now!
Mt. Splashmore, take me there right now!

One problem that I have with many games nowadays is that doing the extra stuff is just for the challenge of it, like with the New Super Mario games and Donkey Kong Returns and their star coins / puzzle pieces. Sure it's hard to get all of them, but why bother when you get nothing for it other than a message saying "You got all of them! Woo"?

I want a reward for going all the way and doing all the challenges like I did in the Donkey Kong Country trilogy where getting all the items allowed me and only people like me to see the real final stages, the real final boss, and the real ending. If I got all the best prizes at the door like all the unlockables early on, why would I bother doing the others? Because I put in the work to unlock everything, me and only people like me get to play the game in a very different way from others because we have all the characters and powers. That is why this game is so satisfying to play because my efforts are met with rewards.

This annoyance you have at having nothing to do after unlocking everything would occur even sooner if you got the unlockables you wanted earlier. So to me, complaining that you spend so much time trying to get an unlockable when you want to spend that time with the unlockable seems contradictory to me because the only reason you're putting in that time is for the prize.

I want to go to Mt. Splashmore!
Take me, take me, take me, take me now!
Now! Now! Now! Now! Now!
Mt. Splashmore, take me there right now!

One problem that I have with many games nowadays is that doing the extra stuff is just for the challenge of it, like with the New Super Mario games and Donkey Kong Returns and their star coins / puzzle pieces. Sure it's hard to get all of them, but why bother when you get nothing for it other than a message saying "You got all of them! Woo"?

I want a reward for going all the way and doing all the challenges like I did in the Donkey Kong Country trilogy where getting all the items allowed me and only people like me to see the real final stages, the real final boss, and the real ending. If I got all the best prizes at the door like all the unlockables early on, why would I bother doing the others? Because I put in the work to unlock everything, me and only people like me get to play the game in a very different way from others because we have all the characters and powers. That is why this game is so satisfying to play because my efforts are met with rewards.

This annoyance you have at having nothing to do after unlocking everything would occur even sooner if you got the unlockables you wanted earlier. So to me, complaining that you spend so much time trying to get an unlockable when you want to spend that time with the unlockable seems contradictory to me because the only reason you're putting in that time is for the prize.

you enjoy the game your way man, there is not contradiction in what I am saying, the bottle caps is a cool challenge and all this game reminds me of my childhood gaming in the late 80s but it does nothing for me now as an old dude

I would rather be playing with the full featured charter and still have something left to do that is fresh with them. They have new abilities and new moves but I am not seeing or facing any new challenges the new skills.

it is nice to have a discussion without being made a fool of, we both enjoy the game I just do not agree that the stick and reward thing makes it more fun

I have other games to play that is why I have not given this game much play time until now but the more I talk about my dislike for what the reward is the less I am motivated to want to reach it. Tedious is just not my thing, it was when I was younger.

This was an Amazing game full of content without the unlocks, I am only annoyed that I need to do tedious things to play as a full featured character not sure why I have to defend this complaint its not fun for me so it is my opinion on it. We don't agree so fine.

I would rather be playing with the full featured charter and still have something left to do that is fresh with them. They have new abilities and new moves but I am not seeing or facing any new challenges the new skills.

1) They don't have new "abilities" nor "moves". All secret characters are slight variations on characters you get normally.
2) There are new challenges. 101% Hard and Operation 101 (not the same).

it is nice to have a discussion without being made a fool of, we both enjoy the game I just do not agree that the stick and reward thing makes it more fun

What stick? Who's making a fool out of you? We're just disagreeing.

I have other games to play that is why I have not given this game much play time until now but the more I talk about my dislike for what the reward is the less I am motivated to want to reach it. Tedious is just not my thing, it was when I was younger.

This is what I don't get. You don't want to play because it's "tedious" for you. How would a handful of extra characters, who as I said add not that much to the game, make it any less tedious? Without even the unlocks to motivate you, you'd play with them for ten minutes and then shelve the game.

This was an Amazing game full of content without the unlocks, I am only annoyed that I need to do tedious things to play as a full featured character not sure why I have to defend this complaint its not fun for me so it is my opinion on it. We don't agree so fine.

Well, the developer of the game also disagrees, so I guess that's all there is to it.

1) They don't have new "abilities" nor "moves". All secret characters are slight variations on characters you get normally.
2) There are new challenges. 101% Hard and Operation 101 (not the same).

What stick? Who's making a fool out of you? We're just disagreeing.

This is what I don't get. You don't want to play because it's "tedious" for you. How would a handful of extra characters, who as I said add not that much to the game, make it any less tedious? Without even the unlocks to motivate you, you'd play with them for ten minutes and then shelve the game.

Well, the developer of the game also disagrees, so I guess that's all there is to it.

I don't think any of you guys understand the point

I want to play as Bayonetta and the others but when I am done with 101 bottle caps there is nothing left to do

so yeah after unlocking her I would spend less than 10 minutes with her meh a waste of time

would it not have been nicer if she showed up in Operation 9C or bottle cap 50?

as I said this is just an opinion thanks for sharing yours

enjoy the game

Joei

The game FINALLY clicked with me. I was in mission 3 op, c, doing poorly but kind of "getting it", wanted some money to buy more abilities and went back to redo some earlier missions and BAM, everything started making sense. I redid the early missions getting golds and plats (and occasional pure plats) on all the mini stuff in the operations, bought some more items, was finishing operations with silver and gold trophies and replacing all my consolation trophies, no longer dying every minute, and the battle system finally started coming together. I'm pulling off good combos and getting golds and plats on my reg stuff now in missions. Actually, I'm doing fairly well at getting platinum on time and combo, but my biggest hurdle is damage. I still don't have the timing down for blocking or dodging hits, always trying to get that extra hit in. But that comes with practice I guess. I guess the biggest thing is finally understanding the game.

And one last thing, I noticed when redoing the early missions that there is a LOT of extra stuff to do. I started doing liners in open windows and getting stuff, doing circles outside at some spots and popping up extra items, going different routes or backtracking and opening up secret missions. Really surprised at all the extra stuff there is.

^Haha so weird, I was about to start a new thread about the game finally clicking for me, but decided I would post here instead.

So I posted this message in this thread over a year ago
Bought the game yesterday. Just beat 001-B. Spent around 90 mins. That image floating around is pretty accurate: Wat...

I mean, I'm sure that game will click sooner or later. But as of now I have no idea what I'm doing, sometimes I die, sometimes I win, sometimes my health goes down, sometimes it goes up, sometimes I can morph sometimes I can't.

It's one thing for a game to be hard, I don't mind that(Hey I faced Fire Leo and kicked his fiery butt!), but it's been a long time since I have seen a game this inaccessible. I can defintely see where the low sales are coming from besides Wii U being in the gutter.

I really dig the nonsensical, wacky plot, it's just too bad that the gameplay feels the same, especially more so when others are praising the depth of it.

So it's not really a negative first impression, but it isn't exactly postive either. It's just wat...

I assume that the gameplay will make more sense as I unlock more morphs and skills(that you buy in the shop? wtf were they thinking having the parry and dodge in shop and not available from the get-go, or introduced in-game...)
I didn't go back to the game until half a year later, played up till 2-C, and still felt the same even though I had played for almost 6 hours. The other week I finally completed Mario 3D world and felt it was time for a new game, and DKCTF was next in line. Except I didn't have enough space on my Wii U. One game file that was bigger than all others was W101. I knew that if I erased the file to make room for DK I would never ever play W101 again, and decided to give it one last try, reluctantly as I was more determined to finally play DK.

So I picked it up from where I left off more than 6 months ago, and just like Joei, I suddenly started 'getting' it around operation 3. I stopped getting consolation prize all the time, and even though I still got my ass kick a lot of the time, I started to see why it happened and what I could do to change it. THAT made a huge difference in my enjoyment of the game, because as I stated in my first impression post, I love a hard game, but it needs to be fair. I think W101 gets that part down perfectly. Also while I actually like the style and over-the-top story from the beginning, I begun to really love it as I got deeper into the game. Silly things like 'Dearth' and Red citing every enemy's official title got a great kick out of me. As the game progressed and the setting just got crazier, I finally understand where all the praise comes from.

Nevertheless, I would occasionally get a glimpse of the frustration I had in the beginning. Sometimes I would just get stumped over the stupidest things, because I had forgotten some gameplay mechanic that was only introduced and used several operations ago, or instances where action transferred to the gamepad screen while dealing with enemies, made for some really horrible sections as the camera was horrible. Also while a little bit a annoying I found it funny how after the awesome ending(this would probably be a spoiler coming up fro anyone not beaten the game yet), I was quite letdown that there were no credits. It just looped back to the very first mission where you control Luka on the runaway busses. I quit the game as I didn't want to start a new playthrough. But how weird is it that a normal ending didn't even give me the credits? I went to youtube and figured out that what I thought was the prologue was actually the epilogue. But as I try to play it again it takes me back to 9-A, bummer. I quit and accidentally discover that you can select the epilogue from the operation select menu as well. It just a small thing, and I'm to blame as well for not remembering that it was Red I controlled in the prologue, but a simple Epilogue card showing what was going on could have avoided any confusion. It didn't annoy me, I just found it funny that the game decided to pull the rug from under my feet one last time.

I beat the game on normal over a 2 day marathon gaming session, and I guess that was partly the reason why it started clicking. I decided that that was enough satisfaction for me even with all those secrets that I missed. I'm really glad I decided to stick with the game as it revealed a really really awesome game behind a confusing opening.

leroidys

^Haha so weird, I was about to start a new thread about the game finally clicking for me, but decided I would post here instead.

So I posted this message in this thread over a year ago
I didn't go back to the game until half a year later, played up till 2-C, and still felt the same even though I had played for almost 6 hours. The other week I finally completed Mario 3D world and felt it was time for a new game, and DKCTF was next in line. Except I didn't have enough space on my Wii U. One game file that was bigger than all others was W101. I knew that if I erased the file to make room for DK I would never ever play W101 again, and decided to give it one last try, reluctantly as I was more determined to finally play DK.

So I picked it up from where I left off more than 6 months ago, and just like Joei, I suddenly started 'getting' it around operation 3. I stopped getting consolation prize all the time, and even though I still got my ass kick a lot of the time, I started to see why it happened and what I could do to change it. THAT made a huge difference in my enjoyment of the game, because as I stated in my first impression post, I love a hard game, but it needs to be fair. I think W101 gets that part down perfectly. Also while I actually like the style and over-the-top story from the beginning, I begun to really love it as I got deeper into the game. Silly things like 'Dearth' and Red citing every enemy's official title got a great kick out of me. As the game progressed and the setting just got crazier, I finally understand where all the praise comes from.

Nevertheless, I would occasionally get a glimpse of the frustration I had in the beginning. Sometimes I would just get stumped over the stupidest things, because I had forgotten some gameplay mechanic that was only introduced and used several operations ago, or instances where action transferred to the gamepad screen while dealing with enemies, made for some really horrible sections as the camera was horrible. Also while a little bit a annoying I found it funny how after the awesome ending(this would probably be a spoiler coming up fro anyone not beaten the game yet), I was quite letdown that there were no credits. It just looped back to the very first mission where you control Luka on the runaway busses. I quit the game as I didn't want to start a new playthrough. But how weird is it that a normal ending didn't even give me the credits? I went to youtube and figured out that what I thought was the prologue was actually the epilogue. But as I try to play it again it takes me back to 9-A, bummer. I quit and accidentally discover that you can select the epilogue from the operation select menu as well. It just a small thing, and I'm to blame as well for not remembering that it was Red I controlled in the prologue, but a simple Epilogue card showing what was going on could have avoided any confusion. It didn't annoy me, I just found it funny that the game decided to pull the rug from under my feet one last time.

I beat the game on normal over a 2 day marathon gaming session, and I guess that was partly the reason why it started clicking. I decided that that was enough satisfaction for me even with all those secrets that I missed. I'm really glad I decided to stick with the game as it revealed a really really awesome game behind a confusing opening.

Glad that you pushed through it!

The game definitely does have frustrating aspects, but it is merely a rough gem in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Soooo, any PAL Mario Kart 8 owners get this as their free game?

I did, though I already own it and played the retail version at launch :p (GOTY 2013)

Going to do a GAF give away once the code gets to me (probably not until august because Nintendo Scandinavia)

leroidys

Yeah I liked the demo a lot too. It actually sold me on the game after hearing about how crap it was for months. I don't know why it's such a "bad" demo.

Still can't believe that this came out in the same year as Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D world and people kept asking "WHERE'S THE GAMES NINTENDONT????"

BatDan

Yeah I liked the demo a lot too. It actually sold me on the game after hearing about how crap it was for months. I don't know why it's such a "bad" demo.

Still can't believe that this came out in the same year as Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D world and people kept asking "WHERE'S THE GAMES NINTENDONT????"

There's a lot of ill-informed people that believe it's a third-party title.
It was developed by a third-party, but Nintendo funded development and own the IP & characters. They could do anything they want, even give it to a developer that's not Platinum (now that's a scary thought).

Go to Sakurai's Miiverse post the day he posted the Wonder-Red trophy picture. So many people saying "Third-party? What the?" or something like that.

EDIT: Test your Wonderful 101 knowledge. Name all the playable characters http://www.sporcle.com/games/BluePikmin/presented_by_wonder-sporcle

To be fair, I had studied Saur's videos carefully before even having a Wii U, and then did again as I played the demo. I guess that wouldn't be similar to the average person's experience with the demo.

P* should just hire Saur as an onboarding specialist, heh. I can't help but think that a better designed starting experience could have dramatically improved this game's perception both from reviewers and customers.

K-A-Deman

EDIT: Test your Wonderful 101 knowledge. Name all the playable characters http://www.sporcle.com/games/BluePikmin/presented_by_wonder-sporcle

got about sixty of them (couldn't remember how to spell
Jeanne

I'm nearly done on Hard mode as far as completing every level, but with half of my card showing consolation prizes (operation 009 is kicking my as with its vehicle sections.) I just unlocked
Rodin
and I've honestly found his hammer style to be a little harder to use compared to the others.

Oh by the way, in celebration of Tomodachi Life I present the pinnacle of twenty minutes of work; http://imgur.com/a/fc4uu#0.

I just unlocked
Rodin
and I've honestly found his hammer style to be a little harder to use compared to the others.

Yeah, it's quite cool for punishing enemies, but it makes it all that much slower to dig for treasures (and let's face it, we use it for that over 50% of the time).

Oh by the way, in celebration of Tomodachi Life I present the pinnacle of twenty minutes of work; http://imgur.com/a/fc4uu#0.

Cool stuff. :) This reminded me that I only remembered Will's name. "Their names are forever unknown" indeed. :D

BatDan

Yeah, it's quite cool for punishing enemies, but it makes it all that much slower to dig for treasures (and let's face it, we use it for that over 50% of the time).

Cool stuff. :) This reminded me that I only remembered Will's name. "Their names are forever unknown" indeed. :D

Let's see...
Red is Will, Blue is Eliot, Green is Jean-Sebastien, Pink is.... Marina?
No idea about Yellow and White. Black's name wasn't even revealed in the game (you have to look up his file).

*checks the wiki* Pink is Mariana, Yellow is Ivan, White is Momoe and Black is Krishna.

Let's see...
Red is Will, Blue is Eliot, Green is Jean-Sebastien, Pink is.... Marina?
No idea about Yellow and White. Black's name wasn't even revealed in the game (you have to look up his file).

*checks the wiki* Pink is Mariana, Yellow is Ivan, White is Momoe and Black is Krishna.

Checking White's wiki page made me realize a multi-way visual pun. The kanji on White's head is 百 (Hyaku) meaning "(one) hundred" (as in the Wonderful 100). It's also the first kanji in both his name AND surname.

However, according to the wiki, when the gang get their "damaged" looks, it has the top stroke broken off... it becomes 白(Shiro), or "White". If this wasn't enough, it is the first character in "白鋼" (Shirogane), which of course, means "Platinum". Not bad!

Jintor

Is there a way to set a bunch of heroes as my form leaders without getting booted back to the 'input menu' every time I set one?

Jintor

Awesome. Is there also a way to quick-reset a... I forget what they're called, but to quick reset an encounter/verse?

Awesome. Is there also a way to quick-reset a... I forget what they're called, but to quick reset an encounter/verse?

No, I don't think so. I would guess it would run counter to the idea of having to perform well in the entire operation to get Pure Platinum, so I guess the time spent loading quitting to the menu and reloading is supposed to be the punishment/price for retrying? :D

Jintor

No, I don't think so. I would guess it would run counter to the idea of having to perform well in the entire operation to get Pure Platinum, so I guess the time spent loading quitting to the menu and reloading is supposed to be the punishment/price for retrying? :D

It was practically the only way I could Pure Platinum a V.Hard run in Bayo :<

Varjet

It was practically the only way I could Pure Platinum a V.Hard run in Bayo :<

Eh, it's not that bad, since it auto-saves every couple of missions anyway, so it's not like you have to do the entire operation perfectly in one run. This isn't Viewtiful Joe :p
Some of the save points are a bit of a bitch, though.

edit: Oh, I also wanted to ask something: How exactly do you do multiple stingers mid-air? As far as I know you just have to draw a new morph and do the input for stinger, but sometimes it works and at other times it just.... doesn't. What am I doing wrong?

BatDan

Checking White's wiki page made me realize a multi-way visual pun. The kanji on White's head is &#30334; (Hyaku) meaning "(one) hundred" (as in the Wonderful 100). It's also the first kanji in both his name AND surname.

However, according to the wiki, when the gang get their "damaged" looks, it has the top stroke broken off... it becomes &#30333;(Shiro), or "White". If this wasn't enough, it is the first character in "&#30333;&#37628;" (Shirogane), which of course, means "Platinum". Not bad!

That is amazing.
The details in this game man... so good.

Holy shit, I never noticed that enemies had different highlight colors when spawning! I thought weapon drops were random!
j74SykU.gif

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Really good read. Just read the first part..

I really liked the part about the scoring system in these games. In alot of topics I see people say they don't pay attention to or really care about them in these games, but they're such a huge part of learning to play them well as Saur illustrates here:

I believe the type of game design I enjoy the most started with Viewtiful Joe. Here is a game which looks like a traditional side-scrolling fighting game, but instead it turns the entire concept into something wildly different. The &#8220;lesson&#8221; of Viewtiful Joe I feel was &#8220;planning&#8221;: you don&#8217;t simply react to hazards and you don&#8217;t simply run up to enemies and start hitting them. Instead, you visually confirm the enemy set, formulate a plan based on your knowledge of those enemies and then execute that plan in the most stylish (yet efficient) way possible. The &#8220;plan&#8221; I speak of is the blueprint which dictates the correct way to do battle in the game, derived from the scoring system. The scoring system is the backbone of the game; it leads you into playing in a specific fashion to not only score more points but also deal damage more quickly.

The game system in Viewtiful Joe was like an invisible hand which guided the player towards creating a structure out of what initially seemed like chaos; it wasn&#8217;t simply about playing, it was about playing well. The Wonderful 101 takes the concept of planning and structure introduced in Viewtiful Joe and spins it into something far more free and dynamic. It blurs the boundaries between the different aspects of the scoring system which results in a game about &#8220;management&#8221; and &#8220;multi-tasking&#8221; as opposed to just &#8220;planning&#8221;.

The logical progression description is also a really good read. Gives people a good idea on how to approach these games and learn thing procedurally, rather than try and do advanced stuff from day 1.

leroidys

Really good read. Just read the first part..

I really liked the part about the scoring system in these games. In alot of topics I see people say they don't pay attention to or really care about them in these games, but they're such a huge part of learning to play them well as Saur illustrates here:

The logical progression description is also a really good read. Gives people a good idea on how to approach these games and learn thing procedurally, rather than try and do advanced stuff from day 1.

Yeah, the way he breaks it down is great. Really, these types of systems are why I play videogames. I'm going to sound like a giant elitist prick here, but honestly a major contributing factor to why so few people enjoy this type of thing is that they have been ruined as players by bad videogames
for idiots.

I just needed to get that off of my chest. Usually I don't impugn others for their tastes, but it's been a long week and I'm feeling cranky.

Joei

God damn it, one of the things that pisses me off with this game is the build mechanic. What I mean by that is that I can not count how many times I've tried building into a Unite Build or bathroom and all I get is part of the group in and then I'm holding the direction they're "supposed to be going in" and nothing happens. For example, I'm redoing one of the boss bottles where you have to Unite Build in the eye and all I can get is part of my members in the eye, I'm still holding up, it looks they should be filling in the eye, but they're not. So now I'm wasting time, getting hit, and lowering my score. I remember this happened the first time I did this operation and it took me forever to "get it right" meaning, I have no idea what I changed, just the position or something to get the whole eye filled in.

Jintor

God damn it, one of the things that pisses me off with this game is the build mechanic. What I mean by that is that I can not count how many times I've tried building into a Unite Build or bathroom and all I get is part of the group in and then I'm holding the direction they're "supposed to be going in" and nothing happens. For example, I'm redoing one of the boss bottles where you have to Unite Build in the eye and all I can get is part of my members in the eye, I'm still holding up, it looks they should be filling in the eye, but they're not. So now I'm wasting time, getting hit, and lowering my score. I remember this happened the first time I did this operation and it took me forever to "get it right" meaning, I have no idea what I changed, just the position or something to get the whole eye filled in.

yes this thing is infuriating. The two-headed dragon especially you need exactly 100 dudes to build so if even one of your team gets lost somewhere you'll get stuck

there's a WC in the stratofighter that you have to fill with like 50-70 dudes but because the fucking plane is jolting around your directional inputs become incorrect every 3 seconds

When that happens, let go of the direction you're pushing to return the Control Stick to neutral position and leave the assembled people in place, then push again to fix the stragglers that aren't joining the group.

Jintor

The goddamn alfheim portal in the epilogue kills you in one hit + uses ACTUAL RETRIES so it burns your score like fire + has to reload for like half a minute every time you die

KAMIYA WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

NEO0MJ

Yeah, I had the exact same experience with Viewtiful Joe, where instead of rushing in to kill enemies I tried to plan ahead on how to kill those on screen in the best order and style to get more points.

When that happens, let go of the direction you're pushing to return the Control Stick to neutral position and leave the assembled people in place, then push again to fix the stragglers that aren't joining the group.

Aside from that, the problem is much alleviated once you start getting secret characters (they add to the 100 limit, giving you margin for error).

BatDan

All these new Wii U owners happening.
All these new players of this game.
Excellent.

So to anybody who Pure Platinumed the game, what is the best approach? Notice that I'm not asking how to play the game.

For example, the best way to get S ranks in MGR is to have a back up save ready in the in-game main menu. Also, you had like 2 seconds when the encounter result screen flashes to restart checkpoint before the game screws you over and autosaves. You could also use the wigs without score deductions, and possibly go for the no damage or no kill approach to boost your score.

Are there any optimal setups like that to Pure Platinum stages in one go in W101? I'm not really sure how saving works in this game and I really don't wanna redo a whole stage because autosave fucked me over after an encounter since the levels are super long.

Also, what would you guys say are the best accessories (forgot what they're called in this game) to equip when trying to PP? Any glitches that help with score like the Kilgore glitch in Bayonetta?

Keep in mind I'm talking about Normal (or below lol) difficulty.

BatDan

You mean the Custom Blocks right?
Well, some recommended ones for avoiding damage are Hero Sense (slows down time a little when you're about to be hit, but consumes a lot of your Unite Gauge) and Ukemi (if you're knocked into the air, hitting B as you're about to hit the ground negates all damage. Very useful. However, if you get flattened, it will not work.)

Other useful Custom Blocks include Hero Counter (tap or hold the left stick towards an attacking enemy) and Hero Time (slows down time a lot when you dodge an attack with Unite Spring)

Of course, it's recommended to watch Saur's videos.

Top Bottom