• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

You mean the Custom Blocks right?
Well, some recommended ones for avoiding damage are Hero Sense (slows down time a little when you're about to be hit, but consumes a lot of your Unite Gauge) and Ukemi (if you're knocked into the air, hitting B as you're about to hit the ground negates all damage. Very useful. However, if you get flattened, it will not work.)

Other useful Custom Blocks include Hero Counter (tap or hold the left stick towards an attacking enemy) and Hero Time (slows down time a lot when you dodge an attack with Unite Spring)

Of course, it's recommended to watch Saur's videos.

Much appreciated.

What about saving though? Am I doomed to repeat an entire chapter if I end getting a gold or lower in an encounter due to autosave, or is there a way to game the system a bit?

Varjet

Much appreciated.

What about saving though? Am I doomed to repeat an entire chapter if I end getting a gold or lower in an encounter due to autosave, or is there a way to game the system a bit?

Well, you can always press Home and go back to the Wii U menu. Dunno if there's a better way.

Also, about the Custom Blocks, I don't like Here Sense all that much.
My setup:
Speed Charge, Energy Converter, Ukemi, Hero Time, Hero Counter, Unite Charge and Dodge Mine.

Proven

Much appreciated.

You can turn off auto-save, but I think there are checkpoints that mean using the in-game Retry is a little unreliable. You won't go to the very beginning of the level, but you may sometimes go more than one mission back. It's been a while so I need to look it up myself, but I don't remember where I first heard. Probably from someone else's PP run.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ugh, there are still no good LPs of the game.
How is it every video I find of the Wallgah-Goojin boss fight (005-C), nobody hits him in the face?

Jintor

Man, fuck Chewgi in the third (second?) vorkken fight in operation 005. Motherfucker spins out of nowhere with zero startup and it's impossible to see where he is.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Man, fuck Chewgi in the third (second?) vorkken fight in operation 005. Motherfucker spins out of nowhere with zero startup and it's impossible to see where he is.
Don't get too greedy when punishing Vorrky. That's when Chewgi comes out IIRC. Get a combo in, split.

Varjet

So, there's a shield power-up in 006-B's shoot 'em-up stage. Why did that never show up when I tried to PP the stage :|

Regiruler

Hell I know what any of the power ups actually do. All I know is that one turns your weapon into a laser and the other changes it into spread bullets (and that spread bullets are better).
I highly dislike the section because iso is awful for shmups, but I found out drill can not only absorb fire (like usual) but can also break the chains and for whatever reason does huge amounts of damage.

Varjet

All I know is that one turns your weapon into a laser and the other changes it into spread bullets (and that spread bullets are better).

Hell no, Laser Level 3 all day. There are also missiles (green power up) which auto-fire and track, pretty handy. And Wonderful Forever is really useful, since it gets rid of all the pillars and stone heads.

Regiruler

Hell no, Laser Level 3 all day. There are also missiles (green power up) which auto-fire and track, pretty handy. And Wonderful Forever is really useful, since it gets rid of all the pillars and stone heads.

Laser does much more damage but I have a little trouble keeping track of everything on the screen at once. The spread helps kill enemies I don't see right away.
Does the weapon level reset if you swap?

Mechazawa

Can someone tell me what the shit you're supposed to do when your leader's face flashes on-screen during the 002-C Gah-Goojin fight? Because no one on youtube apparently does. Everyone always eats whatever thing he's flinging at you.

Jintor

Can someone tell me what the shit you're supposed to do when your leader's face flashes on-screen during the 002-C Gah-Goojin fight? Because no one on youtube apparently does. Everyone always eats whatever thing he's flinging at you.

Switch to the appropriate weapon form and don't do anything and you'll automatically counter.

...I think.

Jintor

Try swinging at him maybe?

It's kind of inconsistent about it. I'm pretty sure when Pink pops up you need to not do anything and she'll automatically latch onto the planes

Sagitario

I finally started this after getting it back in December.

What are the items/skills/unite morphs/power-ups I should focus and buy first?

I finally started this after getting it back in December.

What are the items/skills/unite morphs/power-ups I should focus and buy first?

Unite Dodge and Unite Guts are the first two you should get. After that, speed liner and energy converter. Then just go for whatever looks fun to you.

Started the game yesterday and at first I was like "wtf" is going on and why do I suck at this game? Than it clicked and now can't wait to get home and continue. I felt the same way with Rising, as it took a me few missions to get the hang of the combat and counter system for the game to click, and when it does its so satisfying.

K-A-Deman

Man, did NOT know about Wonder Bear's ability, that's pretty cool. I like these guys and their method of one being well versed and the other being the uninitiated.

PKrockin

Watching Chip's LP made me pick this game up again to finish it. This game is so insane. The basic gameplay is crazy enough without it changing every 5 minutes. There's just so much variety you have to constantly learn and adapt. It's the first game I've played where I can play 30 minutes and feel like I've been through a war to the point where I need a little break. Just... damn.

I'm just walking along breaking stuff and collecting little things and a mecha-dragon bursts through a skyscraper nearby and attacks. I take a few shots and it covers itself with spike armor. OK, I'll get the whip and- holy shit he fired the spikes at me fuck

Wow this game is insane

Just beat that Goldar like boss on the dragon flying through the city
Bonkers and I love it. I hope this is just the tip on the iceberg

BatDan

Wow this game is insane

Just beat that Goldar like boss on the dragon flying through the city
Bonkers and I love it. I hope this is just the tip on the iceberg

That's just the beginning.
That's the game's way of saying "Welcome to the world of The Wonderful 101. Hold on to your butts."

Sagitario

I'm really liking the game and its humor, the battle mechanics are really fun [even if they are not completely explained in-game, so I'm fixing that by watching Saur's videos]... but I'm hating the camera. I almost got mad last night because of it (Operation 002-B's mission 007 and so many places in Operation 003).
I like the GamePad, but switching views is horrible and non-intuitive in this game [Operation 002-B's mission 008... I AM LOOKING AT YOU! >:| , just dreadful]
I did not enjoy my session last night :(

This game isn't like Bayonetta when enemies that are off-camera won't attack you, right? Sometimes there's so much going on that I can't even track where some attacks are coming from, but I'm positive most of them are from enemies I'm not seeing.

PKrockin

I'm really liking the game and its humor, the battle mechanics are really fun [even if they are not completely explained in-game, so I'm fixing that by watching Saur's videos]... but I'm hating the camera. I almost got mad last night because of it (Operation 002-B's mission 007 and so many places in Operation 003).
I like the GamePad, but switching views is horrible and non-intuitive in this game [Operation 002-B's mission 008... I AM LOOKING AT YOU! >:| , just dreadful]
I did not enjoy my session last night :(

This game isn't like Bayonetta when enemies that are off-camera won't attack you, right? Sometimes there's so much going on that I can't even track where some attacks are coming from, but I'm positive most of them are from enemies I'm not seeing.

I don't really have a problem with offscreen enemies attacking me. You know to press L to zoom out right? The camera indoors kind of sucks but you can hold R and move the right analog to control it too.

Sagitario

Yep, I'm always at max zoom out setting.
That, some of the dreadful indoor sections and the lack of visual clues about where to land/how to advance in some missions [resulting in cheap environmental deaths] are my biggest complaints.

But like I said, the battles mechanics and humor are amazing.

Sagitario

The Punch-Out section threw me off. I played SO bad during that :p

I think I got the combo system down. I will never be as good as some of those videos, I might not be able to do infinite juggle/air combos, but now I know I don't suck THAT much because I'm constantly getting platinum medals when it comes to the combat.

Time and damage, though... :(
I don't mind time because I slowly explore every little corner, but damage... OUCH! I have slow reflexes (that's why I've always been not-so-good at this type of games I love), so sometimes I'm constantly getting hit because I'm just too slow to react (and the amount of stuff happening during some encounters doesn't help :p). The Hero Sense custom block is a godsend for me :D

Any good places to farm O-parts or peppers/carrots/eggplants (for that wonderful card mix)?

Any good places to farm O-parts or peppers/carrots/eggplants (for that wonderful card mix)?

Farm neither of them. Seriously. Since before I got even half of the secret characters (by my second playthrough, on Hard) I've been sitting upon several millions with nothing to spend them on (even consumables are maxed out).

Consider mixing lots of cheap items to get the bottlecaps needed for
Wonder-Gramps

Draconian

So I've started playing this and I'm just getting frustrated. I think the game is quite a bit of fun, but I just really stink at it quite a bit and don't seem to be getting better. I'm having to spend quite a bit of money on healing items as I end up going through most of them during every operation and I often get stuck because I'm not sure of what I'm supposed to be doing. Maybe I'll eventually get better, but I don't really wanna have to turn the difficulty down to very easy to be able to beat the game.

So I've started playing this and I'm just getting frustrated. I think the game is quite a bit of fun, but I just really stink at it quite a bit and don't seem to be getting better. I'm having to spend quite a bit of money on healing items as I end up going through most of them during every operation and I often get stuck because I'm not sure of what I'm supposed to be doing. Maybe I'll eventually get better, but I don't really wanna have to turn the difficulty down to very easy to be able to beat the game.

When you continue after dying you literally spawn right where you died at. Even enemy health bars stay depleted.

Draconian

When you continue after dying you literally spawn right where you died at. Even enemy health bars stay depleted.

I feel like an idiot right now. I thought it'd make you start from the beginning of the operation. Also who thought putting the morphs that let you dodge and block attacks in the shop was a good idea? Seriously, I tried playing the first level without them (y'know because I had no idea the shop existed) and was wondering why it felt like this game was so hard.

Proven

Because they tell you immediately after the prologue to go check out the shop and you obviously clicked past it without noticing. It's not the best idea to put it there but this is the case of you missing the pop up screen and the menu option from button mashing through to the next level.

RiggyRob

I feel like an idiot right now. I thought it'd make you start from the beginning of the operation. Also who thought putting the morphs that let you dodge and block attacks in the shop was a good idea? Seriously, I tried playing the first level without them (y'know because I had no idea the shop existed) and was wondering why it felt like this game was so hard.

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing. There was literally no need to not give the player the dodge and block straight away if they should use it in the very first full Operation.

Because they tell you immediately after the prologue to go check out the shop and you obviously clicked past it without noticing. It's not the best idea to put it there but this is the case of you missing the pop up screen and the menu option from button mashing through to the next level.

In fairness, it tells you to check out the shop and see what 'items' you need to buy. There's no mention of moves, and the only hint that you should buy the Dodge/Block is the P* icon next to them after navigating to the skills part of the Wonderful Mart.

In fairness, it tells you to check out the shop and see what 'items' you need to buy. There's no mention of moves, and the only hint that you should buy the Dodge/Block is the P* icon next to them after navigating to the skills part of the Wonderful Mart.

Which is exactly why you should've checked the store out. You had no idea what they offered and there was no harm in looking, yet for some reason you and others blew past it and were punished accordingly.

"There was literally no need" You say? The need was they wanted you to look at what's available in the store so that you can plan what you want to save your money for so when you hit frustrating spots, you'll think back to the store that has items and powers that can help you get past them. The best way to force you to check out the store is to put two of the essential moves in there. They are rewarding initiative and prudence while punishing impatience.

They said "Hey, go check out the store" and the only things you can afford at that point are the dodge and defend moves, and we're still trying to claim the game hid these essential moves from the player behind smoke and mirrors?

As a gamer, one should be exploring all of their options and controls when they are given the chance to. An intermission screen does not exist to just to be another "confirm mission" prompt. The "Very Easy" description is so very appropriate: "For people who just want to get this over with!"

Jintor

I dunno. On one hand, yeah, as the type of gamer who is playing Kamiya games I can't believe you wouldn't look at everything in the store to try and figure out what's going on. On the other hand there really is no tangible benefit to putting spring and jello behind the store boundry, when you're going to be able to afford it by passing the first level anyway, so idk what kamiya was thinking there

RiggyRob

Which is exactly why you should've checked the store out. You had no idea what they offered and there was no harm in looking, yet for some reason you and others blew past it and were punished accordingly.

"There was literally no need" You say? The need was they wanted you to look at what's available in the store so that you can plan what you want to save your money for so when you hit frustrating spots, you'll think back to the store that has items and powers that can help you get past them. The best way to force you to check out the store is to put two of the essential moves in there. They are rewarding initiative and prudence while punishing impatience.

They said "Hey, go check out the store" and the only things you can afford at that point are the dodge and defend moves, and we're still trying to claim the game hid these essential moves from the player behind smoke and mirrors?

As a gamer, one should be exploring all of their options and controls when they are given the chance to. An intermission screen does not exist to just to be another "confirm mission" prompt. The "Very Easy" description is so very appropriate: "For people who just want to get this over with!"

Your defence of it is that when you hit the frustrating part, you should go back and buy the skills you need to get past it? That's nonsense. It shouldn't be frustrating in the first place, you should have the tools you need to play properly already.

How are you supposed to know, on your very first playthrough, that the moves are essential? Nothing in the Prologue requires you to dodge or block. You have no idea when you will need those moves. You could have spent all of your money on the health items, but that won't help you get past the armoured turret.

I get that Platinum is a darling in the eyes of many Gaffers, but they're not immune to criticism.

Sagitario

Dammit! I suck at Punch-Out ._.

Someone spoil me the tells for which attacks the enemy will be using cause I just can't figure it out (and I HATE shaking the stick to get up :\).

Proven

Nothing in Operation 001-A requires you to block or dodge either. It just makes things a lot easier. All you have to do to get past the armored turret is run around it while spamming Team Attack, then either do a quick attack or draw a circle around them to pick them up and throw them. If you have 50+ team members, you can also just draw giant fists while running around it until you break its shield.

There are a ton of things in this game that you won't figure out on your first playthrough. It doesn't mean the tools aren't there. From getting heart pieces, to finding dudes, to figuring out best (and alternate) unite morph strategies for enemies and bosses. And as you'll quickly find as you get further in the game, you'll need the shop to help keep your power level up or be forced to bash your head against certain enemies until you grind them down.

It's counter to most other games but in these games you should be checking the shop from the very first instant it's available. But I suppose I'm the weird one for having been doing that in most games anyway. Else, why have a shop?

BatDan

Yeah I do find it strange that people don't check the shop the first chance they get... that's what I usually do when I find a shop in a game. It should be hardwired into gamer instinct. Maybe I'm just insane.

Your defence of it is that when you hit the frustrating part, you should go back and buy the skills you need to get past it?

No, my defense is that knowing the shop has materials to make the game easier will make difficult moments easier and give you options to progress rather than just be a wall you have to man up for.

"I keep running out of Unite Gauge so I can't make as many morphs, but wait, they have the Custom Blocks that enable faster recharge", "The Wonder Liner is so slow, I can't make my morphs fast enough, but wait, they have the faster Wonder Line available."

The shop exists to help floundering players have options so they can prioritize equipment to address their playstyle weaknesses.

That's nonsense. It shouldn't be frustrating in the first place, you should have the tools you need to play properly already.

You could make that argument about every game that involves a power up system using expendable resources ranging from Devil May Cry, Onimusha, Ninja Gaiden, to even Last of Us. But if "frustrating" is the key word that's setting you off, then replace it with "difficult".

How are you supposed to know, on your very first playthrough, that the moves are essential?

Common sense? Past experience with any action games? The powers' descriptions? The fact that they're the only things you can afford? The fact that multiple other power ups available reference both Guts and Spring as their basis (Spring and slow down time, use Guts to get health items)? Experience from the demo?

Every action game worth mentioning utilizes both offensive and defensive tools. To look at two power ups that are screaming "block attacks" and "dodge attacks" and say to yourself, "nah, I'm good", you deserve every bit of punishment the game throws at you.

You can keep making this argument all you'd like, but all I hear is "how was I supposed to know to put the block in the square hole?"

I get that Platinum is a darling in the eyes of many Gaffers, but they're not immune to criticism.

• There's screen tearing almost constantly.
  • Massive frame slowdown in any place that's not a Regah.
  • The alternate play modes such as shooters murder the speed and flow of the game and make repeat plays feel like a chore.
  • Having to do nearly every mission on every difficulty in order to unlock everything is padding, pure and simple for no benefit.
  • The jumping is atrocious such as when escaping the falling building in 002-B or the jumping throughout the entirety of 007.
  • There is no way to track your progress of Treasure Hunting, the Wonder Toilets, the enemy weapons, or any of the things you need to do to complete Bottle Caps.
  • The game froze on me four times.

Do I need to point out flaws in Bayonetta, Vanquish, and Revengence before I have your permission to point out you made a mistake?

GeeDuhb

So I am bummed out...I was really excited to try this game. I got it from Gamefly the other day, but the splash screen loads when I launch the game and then it goes to a never-ending black screen. My Wii U essentially freezes and I have to manually turn it back off and on. The issue seems to be with the game update, which I have tried deleting and redownloading multiple times. I saw on reddit that someone said to delete the update, relaunch, and select "update later" but I am not given that option. Anyone have any suggestions?

RiggyRob

No, my defense is that knowing the shop has materials to make the game easier will make difficult moments easier and give you options to progress rather than just be a wall you have to man up for.

"I keep running out of Unite Gauge so I can't make as many morphs, but wait, they have the Custom Blocks that enable faster recharge", "The Wonder Liner is so slow, I can't make my morphs fast enough, but wait, they have the faster Wonder Line available."

The shop exists to help floundering players have options so they can prioritize equipment to address their playstyle weaknesses.

In the Prologue, you have no playstyle weakness. There are no difficult moments. The examples you give are irrelevant because they're not affordable at the end of the Prologue. There is no situation in the Prologue where you think 'Man I wish I could've blocked/dodged that attack.' And therefore there is nothing to suggest you should buy those moves.

Common sense? Past experience with any action games? The powers' descriptions? The fact that they're the only things you can afford? The fact that multiple other power ups available reference both Guts and Spring as their basis (Spring and slow down time, use Guts to get health items)? Experience from the demo?

1. Insulting. 2. I didn't have any experience with action games. How exactly does this help a new player to the genre? 3. The descriptions are obvious, but in no way does it tell you when they are needed. 4. They're the only skills you can afford, but you can afford items and custom charges. What if you'd spent all your money on those instead? 5. You mean the powerups that don't unlock until further into the game? 6. You mean the demo that gives you the block and dodge to begin with? Even ignoring that, I didn't play the demo - I bought The Wonderful 101 based on reviews and gameplay videos.

You can keep making this argument all you'd like, but all I hear is "how was I supposed to know to put the block in the square hole?"

Then how am I supposed to discuss this point in any meaningful fashion, if you're not prepared to listen? That just sounds like you're being close-minded.

Answers in bold. To clarify, I did actually look at the shop before moving onto 001-A, but I moved on without buying anything purposefully, because I thought I'd save the money until I needed it.

I think The Wonderful 101 is an awesome game and it was well worth getting it, but I've mentioned before in this thread that some decisions that were made about it seem to have been made in favour of the 'git gud' mentality.

Finalow

just played the game for a couple of hours, had some problems against those cannon-enemies types, is there an easy and fast way to kill them by any chance? They take forever unless I get their weapon. and damn this giant map, it's hard to see every enemy attack especially when they're not in the camera range.
is it explained in the story why everyone is a dwarf? :_D

by the way, a few questions:

- if I want to replay a section in order to get a better rank, how can I do it? What I want to do is - start mission 1 - I get a bronze in the third part of the mission? Well then, I want to restart that part. is there any way to do this? If I go for "retry" is it going to start the mission from the beginning, or just retrying the current section of the mission? If the latter then I guess I have to hit retry before I get the rank, or else I can't retry that part of the mission at all.

- is it important to get decent ranks? If it's only a matter of points then I can just ignore that.

- can I use those right-stick moves to get something done during a fight? Damaging enemies somehow?

Top Bottom