• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Oh man it's been a long roller coaster ride waiting for this game.

Funny how both this and wind waker, who both had WTF reveals, are now being released with much anticipation!

... Well anticipated by those who aren't afraid of colorful~ I mean Wonderful 1-0-FUN!

Shiiiiiiit! This game is pure hype! Good God this is great. Outstanding gameplay, crispy graphics, vibrant colors, butter biscuit framerate...

I don't know what the hell anyone asked for out of a next gen action game, but this is what I wanted.

After 4 hours with this game, I'll never forgive Nintendo for how hard they dropped the ball promoting it. Fucking GOTY contender and justifies a Wii U purchase on its own.

I agree. On the other hand its probably a very hard sell. The best i could see this doing is promoing it through eshop with special sales and stuff like that.

Also for a game that sold 5000 copies the GAF thread is quite big lol

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I remember my first 5 hours with Street Fighter 2, when I discovered it one day in the arcades and couldn't leave the place. I was memerized by the character signature moves, the haddokens, yoga flame, electricity thunder...

The Wonderful 101 is probably the one game since SF2 that gave me the same vibes.

Wonder Red, Blue, Green, etc. have a personality, the hand, sword, gun, etc. feel distinctive, change the approach to combat, the distance.

The satisfaction I have with this game is... I don't know, I feel I'm in 1992 again, with my SNES copy of Street Fighter 2. So good.

Oh oh! Its going to be good watching all this americans experiencing it for the first time.

Soooo, are we playing with English or Japanese voices?

I know I come late, but let me say to all people. ENGLISH ALL THE WAY.
I beaten the game twice now, english and japanese, and while the english is sublime, cartoony and full of charm, the japanese is mediocre (dont get mad at me,I said mediocre, not bad), really by the numbers.
And it looses the foreign accents. Wonder Green without his french accent is like him without something to eat in his hand, it looses all personality the english dub has. Seriously Wonder Green is the worst offender, but also things like Tara Strong trying to make wonder Pink sound so fun (and with the eastern europe accent), while the japanese is really meh. Same with Wonder Yellow.

Bad guys are the only thing that sounds really cool (and Wonder White) in the japanese dub of W101, and even like that, the english ones are also great.

And I say this when I don't really like the majority of english dubs in real anime, and prefer to watch them with the original voices because they are often great.

TEJ

I am getting a wii u soon. This and Earthbound will be the first games I buy.

It's good to hear that this is another Kamiya masterpiece. He seems to have the most consistently high quality track record in the industry.

Neff

The satisfaction I have with this game is... I don't know, I feel I'm in 1992 again, with my SNES copy of Street Fighter 2. So good.

While I do love modern gaming, it's a feeling I've missed. It very much feels like an early to mid-'90s game (games, in fact) with modern production values and budget. It's pure old-school gaming indulgence at its best. A real love letter to the era.

It's good to hear that this is another Kamiya masterpiece. He seems to have the most consistently high quality track record in the industry.

Unless RE 1.5 counts, he's never made a less than fantastic game imo. Not one. I would like to marry him.

Oh oh! Its going to be good watching all this americans experiencing it for the first time.

I feel a bit like a parent on Christmas eve, knowing what's in those presents and anticipating the imminent joy.

mcmmaster

http://youtu.be/uullgzirUtw

Weird glitch I discovered in that last Kahkoo-regah, seems it secretly spawns you in the traditional room for a Kahkoo-regah at the begging which is why your quickly able to draw a line before the title "Secret mission" comes up, results in the entire fight being slowed down.

http://youtu.be/uullgzirUtw

Weird glitch I discovered in that last Kahkoo-regah, seems it secretly spawns you in the traditional room for a Kahkoo-regah at the begging which is why your quickly able to draw a line before the title "Secret mission" comes up, results in the entire fight being slowed down.

Ive had a similar glitch in the boss
scape from the volcano
, it seems I was making a wonder line while it load that so the game turned slow motion all the way, 8 minutes after I decided to look at the menu and it seems I could make it fast again by choosing another hero in the select screen. It fucked up my time grade :(

NIN90

I REALLY want to like this game because I love Platinum, Kamiya and the game's visual style.
But there are some points that really piss me off (spoiler tagged just in case because of the influx of new players):

[*]Constant interruptions by dialogue that goes on FOREVER that completely breaks the flow of the game. Also, fuck Wonder Pink, Wonder Blue at some points in the middle of the game and especially FUCK Luka. What a stupid brat.

[*]Remember the parts in Bayonetta that everyone hated? The two throwback sections that lasted 30 minutes combined in a 15 hour game? How about we make a game that has one of these sections in atleast every second stage? I swear Kamiya did this just to piss off the people who played Bayonetta and complained about it. It wouldn't even be so bad if they managed to seperate them correctly. As it stands, it's a complete nightmare to PP boss fights because the rating takes both the boss fight and these throwback sections into account. Aced the boss fight but got hit during throwback section? Say goodbye to that PP and start over.
I loved going for the PPs in Bayonetta and MGR but I just don't wanna bother in this game.

I got no desire to replay the game at the moment which is a pretty damning thing to say about a Platinum game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I liked more or less all of the gimmick sections, so much so that I think it's the first time Platinum, or at least Kamiya, has got them right. They're simple and do throw a curve ball, but I also find them designed smart enough that they're not packed with cheap deaths, confusing mechanics, and difficulty spikes.

Replaying Bayonetta, the gimmicky sections have aged really badly. I did Route 666 again earlier today, and it's pretty assy.

i haven't seen a commercial all week and i watch Disney/cartoon network/adult swim so wtf nintendo.

i will get my copy later today or order from amazon tomorrow

I REALLY want to like this game because I love Platinum, Kamiya and the game's visual style.
But there are some points that really piss me off (spoiler tagged just in case because of the influx of new players):

[*]Constant interruptions by dialogue that goes on FOREVER that completely breaks the flow of the game. Also, fuck Wonder Pink, Wonder Blue at some points in the middle of the game and especially FUCK Luka. What a stupid brat.

[*]Remember the parts in Bayonetta that everyone hated? The two throwback sections that lasted 30 minutes combined in a 15 hour game? How about we make a game that has one of these sections in atleast every second stage? I swear Kamiya did this just to piss off the people who played Bayonetta and complained about it. It wouldn't even be so bad if they managed to seperate them correctly. As it stands, it's a complete nightmare to PP boss fights because the rating takes both the boss fight and these throwback sections into account. Aced the boss fight but got hit during throwback section? Say goodbye to that PP and start over.
I loved going for the PPs in Bayonetta and MGR but I just don't wanna bother in this game.

I got no desire to replay the game at the moment which is a pretty damning thing to say about a Platinum game.

I only hate one of the tributes sections
Final boss in the game
scape with the virgin from the tubes like in Starfox 64, even worse when you have to control two ships.
The rest are managable and possible to be perfected with a little practice probably.

Apenheul

I've just finished 002-A and I feel like I'm starting to "get it". The combat is really neat but just like in many fighting games you get out of it what you put in, encounters usually involve (at least on Normal difficulty) figuring out the enemies weak point or ways to break the armor, and then striking when it counts and I love chaining Unite Builds with A. During 001-A to 100-C I thought W101 was just a decent to good game, but now I really love it.

Frodo

did someone say my name

a7Vouao.jpg

Just saying both Pikmin 3 and TW101 are a must buy if you are a Wii U owner (or not). Rayman Legends is also great. Take this chance America.

Sorc3r3r

So what to add to this discussion?
This game is what videogames were about when i got into this hobby, has all the things that i loved back then and love even more now.
A now, that today, is filled by AAA checklist games, standardized gameplay, focus grouped designed experiences.
Dunno what to add on top of that...
Yeah that i bought the Wii U just for this and i could not be more pleased.
Now back to videogaming...

batbeg

God the wait for this has been murderous but I'm going to wait for the Target sale before dropping on it :( Think I'll go W101/Pikmin 3/Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I would go for Lego City but I know it'd be foreeeever before I would play it since GTA5 is coming out this week too.

I can't wait to join you guys in a week :(

Air

Banned
I'm excited. I've had a not so good last couple of days and I'm looking forward to something wonderful cheering me up. I'm going to get it later today.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Everybody play on Normal.

Prove yourselves.

mcmmaster

Jesus was the Kahkoo-regah in mission 2-B on hard mode an absolute headfuck, so annoying that all those retry's in the Kahkoo-regah actually count towards the game over tally at the mission result screen, no idea how i'm going to be able to platinum that mission on hard

CrisKre

This fucking game. After playing for 6 hrs. I can say... This game has some serious meat on is bones. Kamiya you god, you magnificent Bastard.

This right here is what gaming is all about. I feel like I'm in the 90s playing my Snes.

Pikmin 3 and this game have made it all worth it.

RazorK1d

I love being able to buy games at midnight of release on the eShop, turn the system off, and have it downloaded and installed when I wake up the next morning. I had just finished Rayman Legends a little before midnight too, which was a funny coincidence.

Can't wait to really take my time with this game.

Playing on easy, I'm proving that I don't normally prove myself.

Ended up waking up at 2am, so I bought it then and let it download and went back to sleep. Now I've played the prologue and first mission of operation 1 and am really enjoying it so far. I love the serial-like song that plays during the prologue.

Normal can be frustrating if you don't like to die.

The battle system has some depth and even just some reaction time requirements that, if you're not used to them, can really screw with you. In that case, I'd say easy would be a good place for beginners with the option to tick it up or down between missions if it's too much of a pain.

Don't worry about rankings the first go around. If you die, just continue.

Frodo

The battle system has some depth and even just some reaction time requirements that, if you're not used to them, can really screw with you. In that case, I'd say easy would be a good place for beginners with the option to tick it up or down between missions if it's too much of a pain.

I did worry about the ranks, so I replayed a few missions before moving on to the next. Which was good, because I could buy everything on the Wonderful Mart way before the end of the game, and the battle system only gets better and better after your purchases.

I recommend buying and trying out all the modules to find a play style that suits you. If you are taking too much damage all the time, Hero Sense triggers a Witch-Time-equivalent automatically before you get hit at the expense of your power bar. Can be useful if your ranks are being affected by the damage you take.

Thank God the US Miiverse is finally up.

I have been wanting to take SO MANY pictures.

I was really impressed with the built-in drawing they give you to post; between this and Rayman, its great to see some developers outside of Nintendo really taking advantage of Miiverse integration.

I did worry about the ranks, so I replayed a few missions before moving on to the next. Which was good, because I could buy everything on the Wonderful Mart way before the end of the game, and the battle system only gets better and better after your purchases.

Yeah, right now I'm more in the mood to have a light challenge and focus more on the fun of the world and characters. I have so many games in the queue, but eventually I'd like to go back and really explore the depth of the combat systems.

daakusedo

I don't know if I watched my result for 004-A in another difficulty where I didn't unlock the kakhoo regah but if not it was missing in the ranking screen and that's pretty strange cause it's was indeed unlocked and complete when I entered the level.
By the way the main topic of this post is that this secret mission is a 4 golden claw sphinxs battle and bomb + attack liner wreck what was a hard challenge yesterday, even got pure platinum combo with some morph attacks on the last one.

Oh and about the automated guts I think it's when you have more than 2.30 combo multiplier.

While I'm talking about 004-a, you'll find a wonder lure coming back to the start after finishing the kakhoo...

i haven't seen a commercial all week and i watch Disney/cartoon network/adult swim so wtf nintendo.

i will get my copy later today or order from amazon tomorrow

Are they even allowed to advertise this to children? It's rated 12+ in Europe.
Kinda like Little Kings Story. Superniche game becomes even more niche because despite its looks, it's actually not for children.

EatChildren

Easy is good for beginners, yes, and those who are inundated by the mechanics. But as Rehynn said, Normal properly explores the combat system, and though it's challenging, it's not cheap. I don't think I died that many times on my normal playthrough, but I am experienced with the genre (scores aside). The main thing with normal is that as long as you understand the mechanics the challenge is a nice sweet spot between pressing and rewarding. It's not like playing an action game on hard where the encounters are often cheap, unfair, and demanding of high level play. If you're familiar with action games, play on normal, as the pressure it puts on you to stay focused is very rewarding.

Revengeance is the only game from Platinum I bumped up to hard on my first playthrough, as it's the only one where I feel the difficulty is skewered in such a way that Normal is way too forgiving on the combat fundamentals, whereas Hard (last boss aside) is perfectly manageable as long as you know what you're doing.

Anteo

Decided to get a physical copy for this game for trading around later, sadly that means I need to wait around a month for this game to get around here.
So the waiting game continues D=

I feel like each individual enemy requires a bit of a learning curve. I'm on normal because I like that curve, but I can see a lot of people getting frustrated because they didn't know if you're supposed to Guts that attack or dodge it. Once you know it's fine, but it's very common on normal to get stuck in a cycle where you messed up dodging, the enemy hits you, and they (or another enemy) keeps hitting you while you're trying to gather your group back so you can dodge or guts the next hit.

EatChildren

Oh, yeah: buy Unite Guts and Unite Spring the first chance you get. Not debatable. Don't spend those hard earned dollars on anything else until you've got those two. They're essential.

Oh, yeah: buy Unite Guts and Unite Spring the first chance you get. Not debatable. Don't spend those hard earned dollars on anything else until you've got those two. They're essential.

It's a prime example of the game not giving you information you need/letting you make your own mistakes. You finish the prologue with enough money to buy those two moves but it never explicitly says you should.

You absolutely need Unite Guts and Unite Spring.

If you hadn't played the demo, you probably don't realize how important these things are.

What are the control schemes and which ones are people liking the best?

I've been using the default controls on the GamePad, however I'm using the right stick to draw almost exclusively as opposed to using the touch screen.

Will do; thanks for the advice.

Still not sure why they didn't just give you those two moves right from the start. It's like having to buy the air dodge in Bayonetta, its so goddamn essential to the flow of the combat, it feels weird to have pay money for 'em.

EatChildren

Still not sure why they didn't just give you those two moves right from the start. It's like having to buy the air dodge in Bayonetta, its so goddamn essential to the flow of the combat, it feels weird to have pay money for 'em.

It is weird, yeah, because as ShockingAlberto notes it's one of those things that's easy to miss, as the game doesn't provide a safety net for such an easy mistake, nor spends any time teaching you hoo use them. One of the reasons I've said that TW101's learning curve and mechanic tutorials are the most obtuse of any Platinum game to date.

But yeah, fucking buy them, everyone, immediately.

Top Bottom