• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Still not sure why they didn't just give you those two moves right from the start. It's like having to buy the air dodge in Bayonetta, its so goddamn essential to the flow of the combat, it feels weird to have pay money for 'em.

It's even worse, because they even cut the explanation from the demo and if you don't know anything about this game yet, buying that weird pudding thing being essential is probably one of the last things you think of.

D-e-f-

Banned
It's even worse, because they even cut the explanation from the demo and if you don't know anything about this game yet, buying that weird pudding thing being essential is probably one of the last things you think of.

It's a devilish way to teach players not to be lazy and explore every menu always the first chance you get. It's what I do with every new game I get and I hasn't let me down since. Discovered Unite Guts/Spring immediately.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I do really think the demo should have had the gentler opening of the full game + some combat afterward.

Playing this morning for a while, it really is amazing how the game does go from "How do I shot web?" to "I AM THE SENTAI ARMY OF ONE" after the flow of combat clicks.

robot

Incredible game - playing on normal and my ranking is abysmal. I got a consolation prize trophy at the end of Act 2. Refuse to play on Easy though, having a blast. I don't feel like I'm playing terrible though, just not up to Kamiyas standards.

Has anyone found the Wonder Rocket useful? I opted for the Ball instead, I can see getting a ton more use out of it over a super jump.

Incredible game - playing on normal and my ranking is abysmal. I got a consolation prize trophy at the end of Act 2. Refuse to play on Easy though, having a blast.

Has anyone found the Wonder Rocket useful? I opted for the Ball instead, I can see getting a ton more use out of it over a super jump.

It's useful for getting places you can't usually get. Some heroes are hidden on tall places that the double jump won't get you.

I use it in combos sometimes in association with the tombstone, but it gets a little redundant with Rising attacks.

Proven

Waiting on line at Nintendo World. About 15 minutes away from buying my copy.

Still not sure why they didn't just give you those two moves right from the start. It's like having to buy the air dodge in Bayonetta, its so goddamn essential to the flow of the combat, it feels weird to have pay money for 'em.

It's a devilish way to teach players not to be lazy and explore every menu always the first chance you get. It's what I do with every new game I get and I hasn't let me down since. Discovered Unite Guts/Spring immediately.
Yep, it sounds like he designed it as a tutorial. And like other parts of the game, if you don't stop and look at what they're trying to show you, you get punished.

The fact that they're so damn cheap and are recommended gives it away.

Probably not the best place to ask, but does anybody have experience with Best Buy's trade ins compared to GameStop? Gonna roll down there in half an hour, curious if it's better/worse/about the same.

Subaru

I have one doubt: It seems that when I use multiple uniet morph I always get poor combo scores. So, it's not good to use it?

Btw, the game is awesome, pure fun!
Played 4 hours so far, I think I need to eat SOMETHING now.

daakusedo

Any idea why I just got platinum rank when I got pure platinum on all of 004-A?
It's frustrating, the game froze the first time and the second time I learned the hard way that if you screw the last mission and retry you go back the mission before which is a giant crab fight...

It's a prime example of the game not giving you information you need/letting you make your own mistakes. You finish the prologue with enough money to buy those two moves but it never explicitly says you should.

You absolutely need Unite Guts and Unite Spring.

If you hadn't played the demo, you probably don't realize how important these things are.

I think that P-Star pointing the name in the habilities and objects in wonder mart means that buying that thing is recommended.

Any idea why I just got platinum rank when I got pure platinum on all of 004-A?
It's frustrating, the game froze the first time and the second time I learned the hard way that if you screw the last mission and retry you go back the mission before which is a giant crab fight...

Is there a space between some medals? I think that means you havent played during that time the secret levels.
Even with that, you dont need Pure Platinum to get the last character, only platinums will suffice.
And you can restart a part in normal levels (before the newspaper with the scores appear), but boss level (operation C) you need to beat them from the start to the finish.

Mr-Joker

Banned
zlCfzRICYksqaK2Xf1

How do I get in there and save those people?

Subaru

Hey, how can I see the Wonder-ones that I've saved?
I saved Wonder Patisserie and my boyfriend is leaving TODAY to Lyon ahhaha I wanna show him =(

daakusedo

Is there a space between some medals?
Even with that, you dont need Pure Platinum to get the last character, only platinums will suffice.

No, I did everything. Kakhoo and secret mission.
I wanted that pure platinum!!!
And you can restart even after the newspaper if the score doesn't suit you, it's just that if you go ahead the game will save and you will restart after the battle.
Strangely the crab fight and the last gamepad section are the same thing for the game even if they each have their rank.

I used the Pikmin 3 promotion and a £5 off premium card to get this for £23 on the eshop earlier, I really couldn't pass at that price.

I've yet to give the full game a try, but do you get penalised in any way for not mastering the combat system and getting all platinum medals?

D-e-f-

Banned
I used the Pikmin 3 promotion and a £5 off premium card to get this for £23 on the eshop earlier, I really couldn't pass at that price.

I've yet to give the full game a try, but do you get penalised in any way for not mastering the combat system and getting all platinum medals?

Kamiya will laugh at you in your sleep :D

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
JustPushStart: 8,5
http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/09/wonderful-101-wii-u-review/2/
The Wonderful 101 is a very unique and stylized game that was a blast to play. The game suffered at times from repetitive enemies and tedious battles, but the game had enough variety otherwise to avoid the game from getting stale. The central element of this game is the variety of Unite Morphs that you will unlock with the addition of new Wonderful Ones to your team as you play through. The introduction of these new characters bring a good mix of both comedy and drama to the story. This game features a lot of replayability with lots of collectibles hidden in the game as well as higher difficulty settings that you can unlock. If you are a fan of Hideki Kamiya and Platinum Games, there is a very good chance that you will really enjoy this game. This is the first of multiple big titles coming to the Wii U over the next few months, and I’d say this one kicks it off pretty well. If you own a Wii U, it is definitely worth checking out.

Defect

Just came home from Nintendo World from the W101 event. I was 20th or so in line with a friend. Waited 3 hours and they handed fliers to everyone in line and it was pretty long. If the flier had a Nintendo stamp in it, you get a signed copy by Kamiya. There were only 20 autographed copies so 20 stamps. I was the first one to get the stamp. I was like HOLY SHIT! They took my picture and all that. Pretty lucky/crazy. Anyway here is my copy.

e452aa70c7767f10f7a6af9a9a3a8103.jpg

Frodo

Just came home from Nintendo World from the W101 event. I was 20th or so in line with a friend. Waited 3 hours and they handed fliers to everyone in line and it was pretty long. If the flier had a Nintendo stamp in it, you get a signed copy by Kamiya. There were only 20 autographed copies so 20 stamps. I was the first one to get the stamp. I was like HOLY SHIT! They took my picture and all that. Pretty lucky/crazy. Anyway here is my copy.

That is pretty nice!

Hope you enjoy the game! :D

hatchx

Banned

That's so sweet. Did you get to say anything to kayima?

daakusedo

zlCfzRICyAAGFfKfJK

Someone told me it's maybe the overall time that prevented the pure platinum.
I'm a bit lost, I don't know if I have to rescue all people or not or go straight to the end.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ugh, have no money to buy this. Gonna have to hope I get this as a b-day present Saturday or something. & props to the users that got a signed copy.

Both Best Buy and Gamestop still have the game and guide listed as pre-order, anyone managed to snag a copy off the shelves or behind the counter?

So, I bought in from Gamestop, GAF. Didn't really care for God Hand but I'm gonna trust ya'll on this one.

Well, God Hand was Shinji Mikami, who, aside from being a different person from Hideki Kamiya, made that game seven years ago.

It's a lot like saying "I didn't like Resident Evil 4, so I'm wary of Bayonetta."

I'm not sure what they were thinking by releasing this GTA week instead of back in August like other territories. I would have bought it for sure then because of the drought, but now I only have time for 1 =/

JoeFu

Banned
This game is so good! Just beat the first operation. The ending boss sequence was awesome, but the Unite Build wasn't working correctly for some reason...

Regiruler

It is weird, yeah, because as ShockingAlberto notes it's one of those things that's easy to miss, as the game doesn't provide a safety net for such an easy mistake, nor spends any time teaching you hoo use them. One of the reasons I've said that TW101's learning curve and mechanic tutorials are the most obtuse of any Platinum game to date.

But yeah, fucking buy them, everyone, immediately.

When I get my copy I'm going to purposely avoid buying them to see how far I can get without it.

Top Bottom