• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

MrDaravon

Good games, thanks for the map. I haven't played that first song you picked since the game came out lol. Other two matches were close, and I like how we picked the same second track lol.

Celegus

Good games, thanks for the map. I haven't played that first song you picked since the game came out lol. Other two matches were close, and I like how we picked the same second track lol.

GGs! It is pretty entertaining when you both pick the same song, given how many there are to pick from.

Ants

So, since we're quite a ways out from its release, what would you guys like to see in a hypothetical future game? I think this game is overall pretty definitive, and I think another FF-specific Theatrhythm is unlikely, but just for argument's sake.

I think this game did a great job trimming the fat and making all the gameplay compelling, interesting, and fun, while minimizing any sort of unfun grind. The new Quest Medleys are vastly superior to Chaos Shrine, for one. I think there's less immediately obviously "optimal" characters, and build diversity is totally viable, especially with all the scrolls and Collectacards. Those were my big complaints about the original.

That being said, I think I'd like to see EMS come back as a stage type, but made more unique in a few ways. The big problem with EMS, in my opinion, was that it did not really differ from BMS or FMS, control-wise. I always thought it would be best if it used an EBA-style control, requiring you to move along the bottom screen following the Triggers. That would necessitate touch controls exclusively on EMS, which is a step back in accessibility, but it's the only way I can see to mostly preserve EMS as-is and make it worthwhile.

The other thing I'd like to change about EMS to make it more viable is to remove the "clip show" of events that's just straight up gameplay footage. That's all well and good for nostalgia purposes, and a fine solution, but I'd like to give the game a little more personality. Consider this: the Theatrhythm-style models doing a stage play of various events from the game featured on-screen. Imagine a chibi Safer-Sephiroth being lowered in on ropes. I'd also like it if your performance affected their actions somewhat, like if you flubbed the section where (FF7 mid-game spoilers)
Sephiroth kills Aerith, he misses and she runs off-screen
. But the latter might be a lot of work for a single stage type on a clearly low-budget game like Theatrhythm. The gameplay clips could still exist in Theater mode.

The last thing I'd want to do to add personality is to have the Limit Breaks have some sort of unique visual effect. For example, Terra's Trance should (FF6 mid-game spoilers)
change her appearance into the Esper form
. This would give way more excitement when getting those skills for the first time, regardless of their mechanical effect.

Overall I actually think this game and franchise overall is pretty much 10 out of 10. The suggestions I have don't really detract from my enjoyment, but I think they'd make a great rhythm game even better. I'm curious to see what ideas, if any, people have to improve a game anyone still here clearly likes a lot. Bearing in mind, of course, that this sort of game is produced on almost no budget. My suggestions would, I think, in the worst case, necessitate a handful of more hours modeling and writing, and a slightly less trivial time creating the new EMS gameplay, but still reasonable for a franchise as on its feet as Theatrhythm is at this point.

Roto13

zlCfzTF-kvshEGmyAw

'sub brah

This has nothing to do with the weekly tournaments, but this just happened and I'm rather proud of it:

zl_Cfz_TGUzs_UXhjy4e_E.jpg

I got one Great on my first try and it was on the second-to-last note. The second-to-last note. I was salty like you wouldn't believe. But then I collected myself, sat down, and tried again. This was the result!

Roto13

This has nothing to do with the weekly tournaments, but this just happened and I'm rather proud of it:

I got one Great on my first try and it was on the second-to-last note. The second-to-last note. I was salty like you wouldn't believe. But then I collected myself, sat down, and tried again. This was the result!

*applaud*

MrDaravon

Nice!

Now that I'm playing more on Ultimate as I'm trying to wind down on grinding out everything on Basic and get all of the Quests trophies and other random bullshit on the way I'm noticing a huge improvement in my game; like last month I couldn't Perfect Chain or break past 8.5 million when Liberi Fatali was one of our songs. Then last night I played it once on a lark and on my first try Perfect Chained it and nearly got a SSS rank.

feelsgood.jpg

Ants

Is there a breakdown of what drops from where in the game? I'm looking for a few kinds of scrolls, though in particular I'm trying to get all the EXP Up ones. I'm starting to really get back into the game again. Also, does anyone know what the actual effect of all the stats is? I haven't been able to find a consistent explanation for a few of them. Str/Mag/Agi are obvious, but what about Spirit, Stamina, and Luck (a little obvious but what exactly does it affect)?

Nice!

MrDaravon

Is there a breakdown of what drops from where in the game? I'm looking for a few kinds of scrolls, though in particular I'm trying to get all the EXP Up ones. I'm starting to really get back into the game again. Also, does anyone know what the actual effect of all the stats is? I haven't been able to find a consistent explanation for a few of them. Str/Mag/Agi are obvious, but what about Spirit, Stamina, and Luck (a little obvious but what exactly does it affect)?

From the (only) FAQ on Gamefaqs that is enormous and super useful and kept up to date:

HP
HP is the amount of damage the party can withstand before being defeated. HP is pooled between all characters to form a single HP bar.

HP is useful for all modes as there is an obvious parallel between having more HP and surviving longer before being defeated.

CP
CP determines which abilities can be equipped. Each ability has an associated CP cost. Up to four abilities can be equipped at once.

All characters will max out at 50 CP by leveling to 99. The only ways to get CP higher than that are through reseting a Lv 99 character back to Lv 01 or by using the Collecta Crystarium.

Strength
Strength (ちから) affects the damage done by regular attacks that are done when you score a GOOD or better on a Trigger during a BMS, so this stat is useful for everyone.

Strength also boosts the damage from any abilities of the “Physical” type. Some Limit Break abilities of specific characters use Strength as a multiplier as well.

Strength has no use in FMS or EMS.

Magic
Magic (まりょく) determines the damage done by abilities of the “Magic” type in BMS. In addition, a higher Magic value will increase the damage done by a summoned avatar.

Magic has no use in FMS or EMS.

Agility
Agility (すばやさ) determines the travel speed of your character in FMS. A higher Agility means that they will walk faster and speed up more quickly.

Agility can also lead to evading damage in all modes.

Luck
Luck (うん) increases the chance of more/better loot in all modes.

Luck can also lead to evading damage in all modes.

Stamina
Stamina (たいりょく) is used to reduce the amount of damage that is taken when you receive damage.

In BMS, Stamina reduces the damage taken from monsters that use physical attacks. In FMS and EMS, Stamina helps reduce all damage taken.

Spirit
Spirit (せいしん) is used to reduce the amount of damage that is taken when you receive damage.

In BMS, Spirit reduces the damage taken from monsters that use magic attacks. In FMS and EMS, Spirit helps reduce all damage taken.

As far as the Scrolls that teach skills, I think people mostly try to get them from bosses in Quests, since once it's dropped it shows that it's a possible drop. I haven't gotten to the point where I'm going to start trying to farm for Ultima etc scrolls, but I think people just trade maps with scrolls that they want listed as rewards and farm those quests over and over for them. IIRC I think most/all scrolls can just drop randomly as well, or at least they can for a lot of the non-uber skill abilities. Worth noting along these lines though that specific songs DO have specific Card drop tables though; that FAQ also has a listing of what cards are available on what songs which is obviously useful if you're farming for specific cards/stats.

As far as the Scrolls that teach skills, I think people mostly try to get them from bosses in Quests, since once it's dropped it shows that it's a possible drop. I haven't gotten to the point where I'm going to start trying to farm for Ultima etc scrolls, but I think people just trade maps with scrolls that they want listed as rewards and farm those quests over and over for them. IIRC I think most/all scrolls can just drop randomly as well, or at least they can for a lot of the non-uber skill abilities. Worth noting along these lines though that specific songs DO have specific Card drop tables though; that FAQ also has a listing of what cards are available on what songs which is obviously useful if you're farming for specific cards/stats.

I've got a bunch of EXP UP III scrolls from playing the daily tracks in the music player. I had thought that the level three scrolls wouldn't drop outside of quests, but now I wonder if it's just that you can get different levels of scroll based on what difficulty you're playing on. I had loads of level two scrolls and now that I'm playing more Ultimate scores, the level three ones are starting to drop.

They're still pretty rare, but it's probably a lot easier than getting them from quests.

*applaud*

Thanks!

Nice!

Now that I'm playing more on Ultimate as I'm trying to wind down on grinding out everything on Basic and get all of the Quests trophies and other random bullshit on the way I'm noticing a huge improvement in my game; like last month I couldn't Perfect Chain or break past 8.5 million when Liberi Fatali was one of our songs. Then last night I played it once on a lark and on my first try Perfect Chained it and nearly got a SSS rank.

feelsgood.jpg

That's awesome to hear. This is really one of those games where you can tangibly see and feel yourself getting better, and that's one of the many things I love about it. Keep it up!

Any word on when we're getting the next 6 songs?

Nothing confirmed, but all smart speculation points to two weeks after the previous batch because that's been the general pattern. The last round of songs came on March 5th, so we're probably getting the next six with March 19th's eShop update (a week from tomorrow). I hope so - Corridors of Time can't come soon enough!

Ants

I just did that build where you survive a BMS without pressing anything, holy shit is that busted. I can't quiiiiite withstand the song I picked (Shuffle or Boogie), but I can get 80% of the way. It killed 16 enemies!

EXP up scrolls are one of the fixed drops from Fat Chocobo found in FMS stages. Use sight ability for higher chance of encounter.

For EXP hound scrolls, enemies in unlocked chaos shrine song drop that. It is a short song and the enemies are very strong so it might take some work to be able to clear enough of them out for the scroll.

Robin64

Guess I don't get why it's so unpopular in this thread. I hope it comes to the west.

The BMS view is just too weird for me, can't handle it. Maybe others can, I dunno, but to me it's just not cool.

Also, there are barely any Dragon Quest games out here (Europe), so I'm not familiar with much of the music at all. Doesn't make it a must-have.

MrDaravon

Guess I don't get why it's so unpopular in this thread. I hope it comes to the west.

A lot of people (including myself) realm dislike the BMS perspective. It makes sense thematically, but from a gameplay perspective its extremely offputting. The (apparently) very small track listing is also a negative, although all DLC for it being free offsets that somewhat. I'll buy it if it comes out here regardless though, not gonna lie.

Theatrythm Dragon Quest demo gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwZeCtbJvLo

The BMS will need some getting used to, but I really love how it's looking. I downloaded the demo yesterday and played it a couple times. Everything seems much cleaner, the fonts and the graphics. I loved how CC turned out, but I really like how they improved it a little more for DQ. I already have this preordered, have no experience with DQ music at all, but I'm sure I'll still enjoy it.

Roto13

I've never actually finished a DQ game, but I'll probably get TDQ if they release it here..

Yeah, me too. The only DQ game I've finished is IX and the only other one I've played for more than a few minutes is VIII but I've had enough fun with the songs from the few Final Fantasy games I haven't played in Theatrhythm to give Dragon Quest songs a try.

The coming-at-you notes in BMS worked fine in Guitar Hero and Rock Band. I could get used to it.

Son Of D

Seeing that the DQ game will have a viewpoint resembling DQ, I wonder how a hypothetical Theatrhythm: Kingdom Hearts will handle BMS.

I just did that build where you survive a BMS without pressing anything, holy shit is that busted. I can't quiiiiite withstand the song I picked (Shuffle or Boogie), but I can get 80% of the way. It killed 16 enemies!
I decided to give that a go as I should have enough cards right now to get stats to the point I'm seeing results and yeah, it is working for some songs (I'm getting enough kills to get to the boss and watching the kills and treasure roll in from Ultima damage and the like).

I have a second 3DS so can run all the card farming there. Sadly the cartridge still remembers number of times a song has been played (I was planning on using it to mask my farming, oh well streetpassers will have to see loads of basic songs played and be rather confused instead).

Speaking of which here is a list of the shortest/safest songs for doing this in for each card group:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/730860-theatrhythm-final-fantasy-curtain-call/71360669
The most sensible thing for me to do would be work out which groups I'm missing the most premiums in and farm those...

Getting a bit annoyed losing BMS stages in the last couple of seconds because my items keep not triggering.

I've got Hi-Potion on, which is supposed to restore 50% HP when your HP drops below 15%. But I lose that last 15% too quickly and the item is just too slow to trigger. It's pretty shit design.

MrDaravon

This week's Challenge ends tomorrow at about this time (5pm EST specifically)!

WELCOME TO WEEK #5 OF THE NEOGAF TFF:CC COMMUNITY CHALLENGE

Previous Challenges with leadersboards as well as current stage picker rotation can be found here.

• YOU MUST SUBMIT A SCREEN SHOT OF YOUR SCORE. Example: HERE or HERE
• All four stages will be played on the Ultimate score difficulty.
• Score must have been achieved during the competition week; this is done on an HONOR system, so in the spirit of fun competition do not submit "old" high scores.
• In the event of a non-All-Critical score tie, the winner will be determined by most Criticals. If there are multiple All-Critical scores reported the users will be ranked in the order that they posted the score.
• Next week's stages will be determined through a combination of the highest scorer for that Stage type (BMS or FMS) who also has gone the longest without picking a stage of that type.
• Winners are encouraged to type a short write-up of why they choose that particular song. It can be something related to a memory you have of that song or the game in which the song is featured!

This Week's Challenge (3/7/15-3/12/15 @ 5PM EST)

JCVTvD5.jpg
I4HA8ii.jpg

Q9Dy9Kb.jpg
bWDVrrV.jpg

Swamped

Banned
Ahhh wait what it's already Thursday tomorrow?!?!? Nooo I had so much crap to do this week, now I have to do it on the weekend :(

At least I have the curtain call weekly challenge to look forward too! Will try and get scores up tonight.

Swamped

Banned
Here are my scores! Sad I couldn't SSS Waltz for the Moon, but oh well.

hRntQnX.jpg
LGWoVb2.jpg

5GftmDG.jpg

I think overall this week was easy. I didn't buy the FFIX song so I don't know what that one's like, but if it's anything like the other FFIX songs it's pretty tough I'm sure...

MrDaravon

I've got a score for Vamo'alla Flamenco, it's just obviously not as good as yours lol.

Cutoff tonight for scores is going to be 5pm; at 5 I will post my scores and then put together results and notify winners and everything. In a way I hope no one else participated in Vamo'alla Flamenco, since that means by default I would be the next BMS picker and I will pick Battle with Magus.

Top Bottom