• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wish they put more FMS songs. :(

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Oooo shit, Magus this week and Chrono Corridor is on deck? Fuck yes.

Robin64

First ever go on Battle with Magus went a little like this.

zlCfzTFCf68bm73h6E

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So I've been playing a bunch of Curtain Call and Theatrhythm, beat all the songs you unlock in game (save one or two of the ones that require a ton of rhythmia) on Expert with S+ rank... and am ready to embark on the DLC...

Are all of the DLC songs in the original game available in Theatrhythm? Would it be worth it to purchase them? Or just go ahead and shut the books on the original and play Curtain Call's DLC?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So I've been playing a bunch of Curtain Call and Theatrhythm, beat all the songs you unlock in game (save one or two of the ones that require a ton of rhythmia) on Expert with S+ rank... and am ready to embark on the DLC...

Are all of the DLC songs in the original game available in Theatrhythm? Would it be worth it to purchase them? Or just go ahead and shut the books on the original and play Curtain Call's DLC?

All of the DLC in the original Theatrhythm is present in the base game in Curtain Call, so definitely don't shell out for any of it.

EXCEPT for Somnus. It's only available as DLC for the first game, and not present at all in the second.

Roto13

The only DLC song for the original Theatrhythm that isn't available in Curtain Call is that Final Fantasy Versus XIII song, Somnus.

Why have you been playing the original version anyway? All those songs are in Curtain Call, except the EMS stages, which are terrible. :p

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Why have you been playing the original version anyway?

Arguably the original songs are superior, since you can play full charts without BMS summons giving you gaps. Barring stuff like The Extreme where the original game's version was truncated.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Thanks for the responses, guys! Looks like I'll download Somnus and S rank that on Expert mode... then start the Curtain Call DLCs.

I am playing the original simply because I got pretty far along with it (got to about 8800 rhythmia) but didn't realize that there was an 'ending' until I 'beat' Curtain Call... so I went back and grinded for rhythmia since I was close. I wanted to add the game to my completed list since I'm a bit OCD :p

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
NieR - Hills of Radiant Winds
Chrono Trigger - Battle with Magus

Those two for me. Scratching my head at Hills of Radiant Winds not being an FMS but I'll still take it.

EDIT: Magus stage OMG. I need a Theatrhythm Chrono yesterday.

MrDaravon

I messaged Adam to see if he's okay with me (or someone else) to run the weekly contests for a while since he's understandably busy. It's only a pretty small group of us, but it's a fun little thing I like doing, even though most weeks are roto pls status.

Roto13

Apoplexy is great. All the Tactics songs are great. :p

I messaged Adam to see if he's okay with me (or someone else) to run the weekly contests for a while since he's understandably busy. It's only a pretty small group of us, but it's a fun little thing I like doing, even though most weeks are roto pls status.

Yeah, it's fun to watch you guys scramble for second place. <3

MrDaravon

Adam gave me the go ahead to run things for awhile, so unless someone else wants to do it I get things running foe the time being. On my phone at work, when I get home tonight I'll go back through the thread and pull posted scores for the most recent challenge and put something up. Is everyone okay with what we've been doing of picking the top winner that hasn't yet gotten to pick a song, 2 FMS/2 BMS and a limit of two DLC songs?

MrDaravon

Okay, finally home and I think I have this shit together (probably not). First off, winners from the most recent week:

r9QrKir.jpg

Previous weeks and winners can be seen here. Since the group of folks entering is so small we're going to start seeing repeat people picking tracks, so what I've done is sorted out people who have picked tracks separated by BMS and FMS. Once they've made a pick they'll get pushed to the bottom of the list, then every week I'll pick whoever had the best score that also has picked the least recently. If that even makes sense. But I figure by splitting out BMS and FMS pickers that'll be more interesting, otherwise at this point we have so few people participating we could just have everyone take turns regardless of placement lol. Anyway, based on this the following people will pick the next tracks:

FMS - Celegus (first time picker!)
FMS - Wichu (first time picking a FMS)
BMS - swamped (first time picking a BMS)
BMS - Roto13 (first time picking a BMS, no idea how the fuck this happened)

I'll PM everyone above to let them know. I've had an extremely long week and am running on coffee and hopes and dreams, so hoping I didn't make any mistakes, if I did please let me know. Also open to any feedback or suggestions; it seems like a good idea to keep it at a maximum of 2 DLC tracks per week, but I didn't specify which people to pick DLC vs non-DLC since that seems like it'd get messy. If more than 2 people come back with DLC tracks I guess we'll figure it out then? Also curious if people like the current Thursday afternoon start date every week? I work during the week so I could still do it on Thursdays, but it'd be later in the day than Adam was doing (probably around 6-7pm EST). I wasn't sure if people preferred it starting on DLC release day, or maybe if people would rather it start on Fridays or something?

<3

Edit: Oh, and one of the BMS people better pick Battle With Magus.

Roto13

Well nobody has picked twice yet so that's how I haven't picked a BMS. :p I picked an FMS.

Can I call dibs on the DLC BMS?

MrDaravon

Well nobody has picked twice yet so that's how I haven't picked a BMS. :p I picked an FMS.

Can I call dibs on the DLC BMS?

You and swamped can fight for it :p

Like I said I'm not really sure how to do the DLC thing short of forcing it by having a FMS DLC and BMS DLC specific songs/winners which works, but that gets weird sometimes and is potentially limiting since someone may want to pick a DLC track, but didn't have the DLC track for that week so they couldn't even be put into the running etc. But I'm not sure if we want to complete open it up either because some people may not be able to afford or get the DLC etc, so I think having 3 or 4 DLC tracks is maybe not the best idea. Open to any suggestions honestly.

Swamped

Banned
Well, I sent in my pick and if I have to knife fight swamped for it, I am willing to do that.

If you picked Battle with Magus i shall back down ;).

Will get back to you very soon Daravon! I might send you a DLC one and a non DLC one, so you can pick which one depending on what Roto went for. Oh this is all so mysterious...

Roto13

If you picked Battle with Magus i shall back down ;).

Will get back to you very soon Daravon! I might send you a DLC one and a non DLC one, so you can pick which one depending on what Roto went for. Oh this is all so mysterious...

I definitely picked Battle with Magus. Definitely. I never tell lies. I own the DLC already and have played it.

MrDaravon

Roto with the pre-challenge mindgames, you motherfucker

Anyway Celegus picked a non-DLC track, still waiting to hear back from Wichu. If he doesn't pick a DLC track are we okay with having the 2 DLC tracks both be BMS? If he picks a DLC track I can either just flip a coin or we can have 3 DLC tracks if people don't care; I have all of the DLC so I'm indifferent honestly.

Ants

I was wondering if someone would be able to get me one of those mega EXP maps, by any chance. I haven't played in a while, but I'm getting back into it.

MrDaravon

Still waiting to hear back from Wichu, if I don't hear back from him by tonight/tomorrow morning I'll just pick a track.

Unrelated to that, did anyone here by any chance happen to buy the Collector's Edition of this game that is willing to part with the 3DS carrying case that came with it? I've wanted it extremely badly since it was announced, and I missed out on pre-orders for the CE by literally 1 day. I've never found anyone selling it on it's own, the CE itself has been readily available on ebay since launch for $90-100, but all I want is the case :(

Kirlia

Banned
Just watched the latest trailer for Theatrhythm Dragon Quest and I'm just not really feeling it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOnCDMkIois

I dunno, the battle stuff seems like it will be harder to me, just because of the view and the skewing on the notes. Fast Ultimate songs could be a nightmare. Guess we'll see.

I'm intrigued by the gameplay, but also really disappointed that the game will apparently have only 50-60 songs before telling players, "Buy our DLC!" Sure, the first ever Theatrhythm had around the same length (maybe a little more), and DQ doesn't have as many songs as the FF franchise, but Curtain Call has spoiled me. SE should have tried for at least 100 DQ songs before going the DLC route.

MrDaravon

WELCOME TO WEEK #5 OF THE NEOGAF TFF:CC COMMUNITY CHALLENGE

Previous Challenges with leadersboards as well as current stage picker rotation can be found here.

• YOU MUST SUBMIT A SCREEN SHOT OF YOUR SCORE. Example: HERE or HERE
• All four stages will be played on the Ultimate score difficulty.
• Score must have been achieved during the competition week; this is done on an HONOR system, so in the spirit of fun competition do not submit "old" high scores.
• In the event of a non-All-Critical score tie, the winner will be determined by most Criticals. If there are multiple All-Critical scores reported the users will be ranked in the order that they posted the score.
• Next week's stages will be determined through a combination of the highest scorer for that Stage type (BMS or FMS) who also has gone the longest without picking a stage of that type.
• Winners are encouraged to type a short write-up of why they choose that particular song. It can be something related to a memory you have of that song or the game in which the song is featured!

This Week's Challenge (3/7/15-3/12/15 @ 5PM EST)

JCVTvD5.jpg
I4HA8ii.jpg

Waltz for the Moon chosen by Celegus said:
It's a travesty we still don't have Eyes on Me (which has a special place for my wife and I, and was sang at our wedding - 6 years ago already!), or even Love Grows. Not even as DLC, jerks! In that case, I'll go with the closest we have in Waltz for the Moon. I liked Laguna's love story more than Squall's own, but the dance was such an incredibly memorable scene. Forget the explosions; the awkwardness of growing up and trying to fit in was VIII's greatest strength, perfectly encapsulated by this song.

Vamo'alla Flamenco chosen by Roto13 said:
This song is really catchy and perfect for a rhythm game. I love its rhythm, and it's one of the most memorable songs from Final Fantasy IX. It's fun, it's challenging, and was on my Must Buy list as soon as it was announced as DLC. (How was this song not in the base game, anyway? Same reason The Landing isn't in, I guess.)

Q9Dy9Kb.jpg
bWDVrrV.jpg

Keeping the Peace chosen by Wichu said:
It's a song that stands out among the otherwise action-filled soundtrack of Dissidia, as a tranquil piano piece with a haunting melody. Its simplicity is a refreshing change from the usual busy soundtracks of Final Fantasy.

Battle to the Death chosen by swamped said:
So I think it's been a a good 6-7 years since I played Final Fantasy 6. I have to confess I don't really remember much of it (good excuse to find the GBA again even if it is on another continent...), but when I heard Battle to the Death in Curtain Call it immediately took me back. It felt like I had just played the game yesterday. I heard some people say they think it's too repetitive but to me it's catchy. One of my favorite tunes from FF6!

MrDaravon

Does anyone have a Quest Medley that has a Diamond Weapon boss they can trade me? 99% sure that's the only monster I have left for that trophy, I've already beaten Feral Chaos and Shinryu (sp) which seem to be the other commonly missed ones.

Just played the challenge tracks for a bit; Vamo is the only really tricky track, goes crazy at the end sort of like He of the Name does (but not as bad). I'm not as good as most folks here and after only 2 or 3 attempts I was only a few notes short of AC'ing both Keeping the Peace and Battle to the Death, so I'm sure someone will shame us with AC scores on those shortly. Waltz for the Moon has a couple mildly tricky parts but nothing too crazy, but for some reason there's this one quick 3-note right arrow/left arrow/right arrow sequence shortly after the Chocobo part that I just absolutely cannot get the middle arrow note to register on, I completely miss it every time. No idea how or why, I've Total Critical'd the whole song other than that part after a few attempts and that's usually the only note I miss. I'll keep at it but it's also kind of annoying because I'm not a big fan of the song (it's okay but this edit goes on too long IMO) so that's not helping :p

Roto13

Does anyone have a Quest Medley that has a Diamond Weapon boss they can trade me? 99% sure that's the only monster I have left for that trophy, I've already beaten Feral Chaos and Shinryu (sp) which seem to be the other commonly missed ones.

I have one. It's a long one though.

Celegus

I have a short one if you still need it, friend code is in my profile.

Ants

I can help you out. Want to play some matches too? My fc is in my profile

Hey, sorry about the ultra-late reply! Thanks for the offer! If you're still up for it, after noonish PST I should be available any time today. My FC is both in my profile and in the spreadsheet, so either way.

MrDaravon

I have a short one if you still need it, friend code is in my profile.

Hit you up since you have a short one, added you to my friends list. My FC is 5455-9558-6601. Either post or message me on here or if you see me on bnet whenever. I'm in no huge rush or anything.

Swamped

Banned
Hey, sorry about the ultra-late reply! Thanks for the offer! If you're still up for it, after noonish PST I should be available any time today. My FC is both in my profile and in the spreadsheet, so either way.

Works for me! I'll add you too. I'll pm you some this this afternoon then.

MrDaravon

Okay, in knocking out Quests today I came across Diamond Weapon finally in a stage (he was the boss of a stage, but not the Boss 1/2/Final boss) and still nada. Found a picture list of the bestiary for the game online, the only one I don't recognize that I guess is what I'm missing is Yiazmat. Anyone have a quest that has him?

Celegus

Okay, in knocking out Quests today I came across Diamond Weapon finally in a stage (he was the boss of a stage, but not the Boss 1/2/Final boss) and still nada. Found a picture list of the bestiary for the game online, the only one I don't recognize that I guess is what I'm missing is Yiazmat. Anyone have a quest that has him?

I have a medium with Yiazmat. Haven't been around much this weekend but I'll be up for a couple hours tonight if you're free.

Top Bottom