• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TheLastGuy |OT| Because we're too lazy to make a new one

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Ah come on, give me the damn trophies, I'm loving them!! This goes into the maybe category because of the lack of trophies. I also didn't buy quest for booty for this reason. If they had trophies both games would give me just enough incentive to buy them. Maybe it's because it's early on with trophies, but I'm just having fun with them, so I hope devs take note and start making them a priority.

KTallguy

Banned
People bitching about trophies, I don't get it.

If you save the VIPs, instead of getting an imaginary trinket, you actually get MORE LEVELS.

It's like BACK IN THE DAY, WHEN DOING WELL UNLOCKED COOL STUFF.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
KTallguy said:

If you save the VIPs, instead of getting an imaginary trinket, you actually get MORE LEVELS.

Every game that supports achievements/trophies should do things that way. They should give some kind of material reward.

Danielsan

KTallguy said:

You know, in a way I hate these god damn trophies.
I actually noticed that I enjoyed games more on the PS3 than on the 360 due to the absence of achievements. Playing the game just for the game and not for some worthless icon+points.
I loved that Uncharted's medals actually unlocked a ton of cool stuff.

Revolutionary said:
Wow. The first PSN title to hit the 9.0 mark on IGN (not that it matters much).
Nice!

Bionic Commando Rearmed got a 9.4.

But yeah, I'll have to get this. Rough few weeks. I'm going to import Afrika, I may pick up Disgaea 3 (just finished 2 last week and I think I'm burned out on the series for a time), Warhawk booster pack is also tomorrow, Pain amusement park is next week, and I've already prepaid for Mercs 2 and Spore which are this Sunday and next Sunday. Good thing I quit my job.

KTallguy

Banned
Solution is to TURN THAT SHIT OFF.

It's just an excuse for devs to be lazy, IMO.

How about have some IN GAME goals that encourage you to unlock costumes, items, etc. Not some worthless gamerpoint BS.

Trophies are just Sony bending to the pressure from 360 evangelists. While they're right to include trophies, it's really silly stuff IMO.

drakesfortune

Marconelly said:
Every game that supports achievements/trophies should do things that way. They should give some kind of material reward.

True, that's why I like the way Uncharted was done, so perfect with regard to rewards for getting trophies.

I just like having something carry over after I've completed a game. Is that so wrong? I like having that out there, it's just fun. Is fun the new evil in the world? Why are people so hostile to trophies? If you don't care about them, good for you. Does it hurt you that other people enjoy them and want to collect them? No. So why get upset that other people want them in their games?

soldat7

Danielsan said:
You know, in a way I hate these god damn trophies.
I actually noticed that I enjoyed games more on the PS3 than on the 360 due to the absence of achievements. Playing the game just for the game and not for some worthless icon+points.
I loved that Uncharted's medals actually unlocked a ton of cool stuff.

It's been stated a billion times but Achievements/Trophies are not just about getting an icon or points. They actually serve to enhance gameplay and have you do things you normally wouldn't do. One of the best in recent memory is the Wax On/Wax Off Achievement in GeoWars 2. Absolutely brilliant.

Not many people care to earn points/icons/Trophies for passing level 1 in (*insert game here*), but if you can pass level 1 without shooting or without taking damage for instance, you have a winner.

That said, lack of Achievements/Trophies wouldn't necessarily stop me from buying a game if it's good.

lupinko

KTallguy said:
Solution is to TURN THAT SHIT OFF.

It's just an excuse for devs to be lazy, IMO.

How about have some IN GAME goals that encourage you to unlock costumes, items, etc. Not some worthless gamerpoint BS.

Trophies are just Sony bending to the pressure from 360 evangelists. While they're right to include trophies, it's really silly stuff IMO.

Pretty much what I was thinking.

I'm down. The demo was surprisingly fun, I found myself replaying it a bunch of times.

And please don't share this guys. Support the Indian development community. They have a goat to feed!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ahhhhhh, the daily refreshing smell of the trophy hate.

I need to repeat what I once said, again.

No trophies?

Ok, sure. No sale for you, sir.

First Prince of Persia, then Naruto and now this!

jax (old)

Banned
who cares about trophies. I didn't care about achievements - less than 5000 AP after 2+years of owning a 360 and awhole lot of games, why would I care about this? As far as I'm concerned, adds nothing to gameplay. driving around for hours to get a genocide achievement in dead rising? What was the point of that? Fuck that shit.

dralla

Seiken said:

No trophies?

If you won't buy a game because of lack of trophies you should seriously consider getting a new hobby. But this if GAF and people say a lot things, so I'm sure you'll buy the games you want regardless of trophy support.

KTallguy

Banned
soldat7 said:
It's been stated a billion times but Achievements/Trophies are not just about getting an icon or points. They actually serve to enhance gameplay and have you do things you normally wouldn't do. One of the best in recent memory is the Wax On/Wax Off Achievement in GeoWars 2. Absolutely brilliant.

Not many people care to earn points/icons/Trophies for passing level 1 in (*insert game here*), but if you can pass level 1 without shooting or without taking damage for instance, you have a winner.

That said, lack of Achievements/Trophies wouldn't necessarily stop me from buying a game if it's good.

Do you get anything besides a little pop up message?
What if you unlocked extra levels, or a new ship design, or new music?

That used to be the case with PS2 stuff. You could get people to do really cool stuff and give them some kind of in game reward for it. Trophies and points are total bullshit, because you get nothing tangible for it.

I can ONLY see it being cool for score attacks on games, or comparing stuff with friends, but you should be getting IN GAME REWARDS for shit that you do.

Trophies and Achievements are nothing more than a slot machine sound that excites parts of the brain.

BeeDog

Seiken said:

No trophies?

Come on man, I love you, but this is not a good stance to have. :lol

Prince of Persia has trophies, keep up with the news BITCH!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
dralla said:
If you won't buy a game because of lack of trophies you should seriously consider getting a new hobby. But this if GAF and people say a lot things, so I'm sure you'll buy the games you want regardless of trophy support.
Ding, ding, ding! You're right, I'm just posting this stuff in hope of making the developers understand that trophies matters!

BeeDog said:

I know, I know... trophies are killing me :(

Holy shit, seriously?! Day fucking one :D

jax (old)

Banned
oh, seiken? haha... I told him that novastrike isn't very good but he said "but its got achievements". I read that and went.. "whatever... ... ... " I sort of get it now. Does trophies make people less discerning? Talk about yes.

:D

Yoshichan

Jax said:
oh, seiken? haha... I told him that novastrike isn't very good but he said "but its got achievements". I read that and went.. "whatever... ... ... " I sort of get it now. Does trophies make people less discerning? Talk about yes.

:D
Please, do you want to trade it or not?! See, I might love the game but I'll have to give it a chance! I promise, I won't force myself to play it for trophies if I don't like it, I promise!!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
DAY one , Hindustan Electronics is the new Team ICO :p

no srsly , this is why I freaking Love SCEJ internal teams , raw , retro and freaking new ideas , The Last Guy , Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida , Work Time Fun , Ecochrome , Deka voice , LocoRoco , LifeLine , , The Eye of Judgment , SOTC ..ect

if SCE Studio Japan can improve their quantity then it will be gaming heaven on earth .

drakesfortune

BeeDog said:

Really...really?!?! When did they say PoP has trophies?! That makes me so happy. :D

BeeDog

drakesfortune said:
Really...really?!?! When did they say PoP has trophies?! That makes me so happy. :D

Uh, it was in some topic around here. The all-knowing SolidSnakex probably knows more.

Danielsan

Jag22 said:
It isn't silly. The game feels more like a free flash game than an actual game.
Braid is more game than 90% of the retail games released this year. In fact, I would have rather spent the €60 that I paid for GTAIV on Braid.

Yoshichan

BeeDog said:
Uh, it was in some topic around here. The all-knowing SolidSnakex probably knows more.
See! See? I told you trophies make people happy :D

Any Aussie GAFfers know if there's an Aussie store demo of this? I'm at work at the moment and will be for the next 8 hours.

Also, why do people still use the word addicting as if it's an actual word.

It's ADDICTIVE people, not addicting. There's no such word.

Metalmurphy said:
Tried the demo, meh, not my cup of tea :p

Same here, I didn't find anything interesting about the demo at all. I guess it's going to be one of those games where it either pushes your buttons or doesn't do anything for you at all.

Jaroof

Wario64 said:
but is there trophies

no trophies no buy

AHHHHH QUIT STUFF LIKE THAT!! haha its so dumb.
You would be missing out on a great game, just because it doesn't have trophies??? :/
This reminds me of how someone said that they wouldn't buy Bayonetta because of the main character's model. I mean it's not the greatest, but the gameplay should be more than enough to replace it, from what I've heard...

Jag22

Banned
distrbnce said:
It's silly that some of us act like we're entitled to a certain price.

It's so silly that I don't have to buy the game untill Sony has another sale like they always do and I can get it for $4.99.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Before playing this demo I thought the concept was freaking stupid and didn't like the video with the Indian guys talking.

After playing the demo I am buying the fucking game really like it.

WiCkEd_Co

I like them demo and played it a few times, The beginning of the video review made me LMAO even more so when they pass the boss and do the in game I see a zombie scream.

Farnack

Banned
Jag22 said:
It isn't silly. The game feels more like a free flash game than an actual game.
Okay, let's see that flash game soon with the same map graphics quality and audio quality.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The Japanese are paying $20, IIRC.

we got to pay $5 for the "premium" version too - i assumed -that- was the full version and not just the demo.

Surprised by the score, the demo was okay, but i didn't find the gameplay to be all that.

Farnack

Banned
DCharlie said:
we got to pay $5 for the "premium" version too - i assumed -that- was the full version and not just the demo.

Surprised by the score, the demo was okay, but i didn't find the gameplay to be all that.
I heard it was reimbursed... only if you had a real Japanese email... I think. ;_;

jax (old)

Banned
I was REALLY impressed with the demo - didn't grab it til last weekend and then when i booted - I was like wtf am I playing, wtf is this shit? Then I rescued some people, then move, then they scuttled around and screamed at the zombie and I literally laughed out loud. It was quite cute and I thought it was perfectly designed for me. I cannot wait!

duckroll

It's up on JP and Asian PSN stores! Woooohooooo! The Asian price follows the US pricing! 13.99 Singapore dollars on the Singapore store! Take that 2000yen JP scam! BOUGHT! :D

jax (old)

Banned
.... how do you set up a singapore account? LOL. I probably won't do it. Can't wait. Impressions please duckrolll.

plus I cannot download anything til 6 hours from now so hopefully it'll be up at the US store.

Top Bottom