• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TheLastGuy |OT| Because we're too lazy to make a new one

CAVE343

Aurelius said:
Tried the demo and loved it. Downloading the full game now. :D

Holy crap, I was playing Castle Crashers but my batteries went down so I booted up PSN to check if there was anything new. Played this demo and its freaking awesome! Bought it instantly.

btw, how many levels are there in the game?

BeeDog

bad-joey said:
Holy crap, I was playing Castle Crashers but my batteries went down so I booted up PSN to check if there was anything new. Played this demo and its freaking awesome! Bought it instantly.

btw, how many levels are there in the game?

15, apparently.

Wurm

Banned
Wow, this game certainly fell off GAF quite quick!

Just finished the last level, wow, that was pretty crazy. I liked how every level had a new different zombie gimmick. The scorpions put the shits up me when they go for you!

Disappointed there weren't anymore Hindustan "Making Of" videos unlocked or something with the ending.

Not sure this has sold well at all considering I am supposedly ranked somewhere in the top 3000?

Wurm said:
Wow, this game certainly fell off GAF quite quick!
"The" "Last" and "Guy" are too short to search for in the forums, unfortunately (thus, the new thread title).... I'm pretty sure this played a hand in the supposed lack of popularity of the game.

Jim

ChryZ said:
I'm still enjoying the game. It's pretty straight forward, not much to discuss.

Some stages defnitely require a bit of strategy, which is nice to share.

Like saving those bastards on the left of National Mall, D.C., with a 1000 line required for the barricades, but those stupid bugs running across the road so quickly.
Use a Stop power-up if available (restart stage if there isn't), open the barricade, get back across the street before the Stop wears off, then drop off that line in Escape Zone and go back for the rest
I pretty much perfected that stage.

I'm still playing the game trying to 3 star them, and still having fun with it. The city and VIP descriptions are damn hilarious (and informative).

Wurm

Banned
I sort of wanted there to be a weird meta-game in The Last Guy, like in Burning Rangers, where the VIP's you save send you e-mail, fanmail or something.

Its a good game, but it does feel very bare-bones in a way.

vpance

Needs more levels! I enjoyed the one with the
huge centipede thing guarding the center
. Final level was good too. The monster variety is great, but there's not enough levels to mix it up more and use them all.

Is there any reward for getting all VIPs? I've only gotten all 4 on the first 2.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
vpance said:
Needs more levels! I enjoyed the one with the
huge centipede thing guarding the center
. Final level was good too. The monster variety is great, but there's not enough levels to mix it up more and use them all.

Is there any reward for getting all VIPs? I've only gotten all 4 on the first 2.
IGN said there are four secret levels to unlock via VIPs.

I really love that, since if I get stuck on a level I just backtrack and try my hand at some VIPs. I love the pace of this game.

jax (old)

Banned
Zoe said:
Somebody... please... help on 2-4 :(

which one is this - I'm still on stage 8. :p (LONDON). trying to max out scores + rescue VIPS. I know the game mechanic is the game mechanic but I'm... almost wishing you could motherfucking bazooka the zombies. The game design is SO simple but the gameplay just works. Charming. Love it when the human chain panics.

Anyone know how to speed out evacuations - I hate it when I have a superlong chain and it breaks and 1000 peopel crowd into a house and I spend the next minute or two waiting for them to come out again - some venues have faster evacuations but some ... urgh.

GREAT GAME. buy this!!!

BERLIN
that stupid screamer
means it changes your play strategy.
From chaining to getting however you can rescue in time. Also.. the people exit some of the building really fast - I tend to run to the SONY building and wait for the scream and then recollect with my longer line - they literally pour out of those buildings there

There's a bit of strategy and variation on how you can play this game for sure. very clever.

Jax said:
which one is this - I'm still on stage 8. :p (LONDON). trying to max out scores + rescue VIPS. I know the game mechanic is the game mechanic but I'm... almost wishing you could motherfucking bazooka the zombies. The game design is SO simple but the gameplay just works. Charming. Love it when the human chain panics.

Anyone know how to speed out evacuations - I hate it when I have a superlong chain and it breaks and 1000 peopel crowd into a house and I spend the next minute or two waiting for them to come out again - some venues have faster evacuations but some ... urgh.

GREAT GAME. buy this!!!

When you have a long enough line, run around the building and if you can loop it with the peeps you have then you instantly get all the civilians inside and a little fire work display.

jax (old)

Banned
Katana_Strikes said:
When you have a long enough line, run around the building and if you can loop it with the peeps you have then you instantly get all the civilians inside and a little fire work display.

yeah, I know about this but some of these, you can't loop - in particular ones that are near the "trackwork zombies" that run perimeters around the stage. you can't line it because the boundary is just too big to loop - and of course, just having lost 1000guys, you can't get them out fast enough to use for looping anyhow.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jax said:
I am completely stuck in the London level. It looks like I have enough time for one sole trip around the city, collect 1500 people and go back. Problem is, line of 1500+ people is so damn long (even with using O button to try and keep it more compact while moving) that one of the zombies always cuts through it somewhere, and then it's game over basically as I don't have enough time left to wait out 500-1000 people to come out of the building they got into hiding.

jax (old)

Banned
Zoe said:
I think that is London...
with the gas zombies

Marconelly said:
I am completely stuck in the London level. It looks like I have enough time for one sole trip around the city, collect 1500 people and go back. Problem is, line of 1500+ people is so damn long (even with using O button to try and keep it more compact while moving) that one of the zombies always cuts through it somewhere, and then it's game over basically as I don't have enough time left to wait out 500-1000 people to come out of the building they got into hiding.

Its not really difficult - the non
spore zombies
are spaced apart at intervals, just note where they are and run nowhere near it when the
spore cloud
spreads. If you find that you cannot maintain a line, focus on getting chunks of people back to the escape.

lines are good but because you retain stamina, you should get them back in chunks. Thats the way I did London.

jax (old)

Banned
Zoe said:
Is there a pattern to the
spore clouds
? They don't seem to behave consistently.

I don't think there's a pattern .. you just got to know that they're going to go off, prep yourself for a mad run/avoid the zombies. I didn't have issues with London at all. did it on my 2nd go. I had mad problems with Berlin earlier and thats when I realised you don't always have to do long conga lines.

_RT_

God mother fucking dammit.
I told myself that I was going to hold off on getting Mega Man. I wanted to beat this fucking game first.
Well don't you fucking know I can't beat level 3 fucking dash 1. FUCK.

ARRRRGGGHHHH.

FUCK.

Ok. I feel better.

*presses retry*

*edit*
got it. phew.

mrbagdt

i finally beat this game yesterday. first time i have beaten a game in a long, long time. i think i just enjoyed playing it because its so somewhat mindless, and whenever people are watching or are over at my house and they say 'what the hell are you playing' i love the confusion when i try to explain it. i guess now i need to try and rescue the VIPs and unlock the hidden levels? Also, are you supposed to beat each level 3 times or something? i see the thing that says 'clears' and it has some stars for each level?

The Last Guy is getting a Trophy patch tomorrow, + there's an upcoming add-on next month:
There will be 15 Trophies in all to reward you for getting good ratings on stages, rescuing VIPs, getting lots of fireworks and more. The Trophies are not retro-active, meaning they won’t be unlocked automatically when the update is installed. You’ll need to play the game again to unlock them.

I also am pleased to announce an add-on coming for The Last Guy next month. It will add 3 bonus stages to the game, which are unlocked by fulfilling certain conditions in the main game. The add-on also includes 8 additional Trophies to help you rank up your Trophy level.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...g-trophies-tomorrow-add-on-coming-next-month/

What a surprise!

Yes Boss!

Totobeni said:
IIRC SCE Japan Studio re-released the game on Blu-ray Disc with trophies .

Yeah, came out this week as a budget release. I was almost tempted to order but figure I'd just wait for the SCEA PSN update. Cool box art though:

pa1531671.jpg

Ephemeris said:
As much as I dislike achievements/trophies sometimes, the patch would probably motivate force me to play it again.
I actually wanted to buy the game back when it was released, but the demo proved hard to play on my SDTV (at the time). Now that I have an HDTV, I was going to buy the game the other day but... the lack of trophies got me to stop myself from buying it.

But now... you bet your ass I'm there! :lol

schick85

Does anyone know what the trophies are?

EDIT: The ones I know so far.
Rookie
Stage 1-1 cleared

Prost!
Stage 1-4 cleared

Three Stars
Achieved *** on a stage

10,000 Person Coin
Total survivors rescued has surpassed 10,000

Secret Service
All VIPs rescued from stages 1-1 to 1-4

is anyone still playing this? played for almost 4 hours last night. god..i think this is my second favorite psn game next to pj monsters. it has really held up.

hayguyz

Banned
I saw this game listed in some PSN game recommendation threads, but not by many people. This thread isn't much either. I'm considering purchasing this. Is this a kind of niche title or more of a sleeper hit? I see that it's 15 levels, but what length does that translate to? Something like PJ Shooter? People complained about the length of that game, but I took my time and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Top Bottom