• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

SmithnCo

Yeah, they'll make some buck if they have a candy vendor in the train. As long as it isn't too crowded and there's enough ride time for it to be worth it. Could add to the 360 experience of it.

parameter

Genting Highlands, Malaysia.

A bunch of hotels with a shitty amusement park in the middle.

That park however will soon be demolished, making way for the first "20th Century Fox World", which will open in 2016.

H9FCMQH.jpg

(click for high res)

Rides based on Ice Age, Titanic, Alien vs Predator, Rio, Night at the Museum, Planet of the Apes and more.

press release: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/17/ca-twentieth-century-fox-idUSnBw175545a+100+BSW20131217

official site: http://www.rwgenting.com/en/themepark/fox/index.htm

Dat giant Titanic with one funnel missing.
Funny as the Paramount Park they wont to make in Spain (Murcia, which is a horrible idea) has also a Titanic ride. There are some artworks of the queue (that seems to be the White Star Line building where the Titanic was designed) and the ride itself (audience seem to be in the rescue boats while they see the Titanic sinking).

aparisi2274

The Lynx public bus. It's $2 but unlike Seaworld which has a direct route from Disney, Universal requires some out of the way transfers that will take well over 90 mins.

I dont care how cheap a bus is, there is no way I am going to sit on a bus for 90min to go to universal. I'd rather spend the $12-20 to have a van pick me up and bring me to Universal..

Goldrusher

Funny as the Paramount Park they wont to make in Spain (Murcia, which is a horrible idea) has also a Titanic ride. There are some artworks of the queue (that seems to be the White Star Line building where the Titanic was designed) and the ride itself (audience seem to be in the rescue boats while they see the Titanic sinking).
You're thinking of the Korean park.

zeemumu

I'm at Disneyland today. Kind of crowded but it's fine. It'll be my first time seeing the Christmas version of world of color.

aparisi2274

They don't have haunted mansion holiday in Orlando? I actually didn't know that. I've never been to Orlando's mansion. They were renovating it the last time I was there.

Nope :( I have no idea why they do not do it, but they have never done it in Orlando...

Nope :( I have no idea why they do not do it, but they have never done it in Orlando...

I think it's an issue about WDW's target audience. Disneyland gets a lot of locals who wouldn't be bothered if they get a different (and perhaps unwanted) Haunted Mansion or Space Mountain experience during their visit because they can easily come back later when the regular version of the ride is active. WDW gets more tourists who might only visit once every few years, so management probably feels that it's better to provide a consistent attraction experience year-round to not screw over the family that visits maybe once every five years and decides to head down at a time when the seasonal overlay is active. That's the best explanation I can come up with.

I'm at Disneyland today. Kind of crowded but it's fine. It'll be my first time seeing the Christmas version of world of color.

Winter World of Color was fine, I thought. Not near as good as the regular show. Those new lights though... I'm sure they'll find a way to put them into the regular show.

EDIT:

WDW gets more tourists who might only visit once every few years, so management probably feels that it's better to provide a consistent attraction experience year-round to not screw over the family that visits maybe once every five years and decides to head down at a time when the seasonal overlay is active. That's the best explanation I can come up with.

This is likely the actual reason. Hell, I know some folks who don't like that Christmas music is looped in the parks in lieu of the themed Disney music. Some people
like me
even feel strongly on Disneyland layovers, like Ghost Galaxy not being as fun as regular Space Mountain. And as I stated above, World of Color.

Saya

Hey guys, I'll be going to Disneyland Paris early January for a few days. Any suggestions and tips for that park? We'll be staying at one of the Disney hotels in the area. The last time I went there was maybe over 15 years ago. I think a lot has changed since that time.

zeemumu

This is likely the actual reason. Hell, I know some folks who don't like that Christmas music is looped in the parks in lieu of the themed Disney music. Some people
like me
even feel strongly on Disneyland layovers, like Ghost Galaxy not being as fun as regular Space Mountain. And as I stated above, World of Color.

I think Ghost Galaxy is better than Space Mountain. Better music.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Just got back from a 5 day excursion to Orlando.

Keeping in mind I was there 4 years ago;

Biggest Surprise: Rockin' Roller-coaster at Universal. One of the most intense coasters I've been on, and I've done the whole lot between IOA and Busch Gardens. The ride plays your choice from a menu of music during the ride. Easter Egg: you can hold the logo menu on the ride display and type in a 3 digit code. 902 = Muppets Rainbow Connection. Had to try it the second time on, hilarious and thrilling all at the same time.

Runner Up: Transformers the Ride at Universal. Think of it as the new and improved spider-man type ride. Most convincing combination of 3d and ride movement simulation I've ran across.

Combination biggest disappointment and best ride queue goes to: Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure. The ride screens for Harry Potter were dim and blurry. Considering the year the ride was installed, this was a bit surprising. When compared to the recently upgraded Spider Man projection, the Despicable me ride projection, and Transformer ride projection, it was very disappointing. Simultaneously, the inside ride queue was very interesting and entertaining, if not the best ride queue I've encountered.

Universal has really upped there game, and considering the expansions they already have underway, it now rivals Disney. Additionally, staff helpfulness and attitude has improved, and the quality of food seemed better then compared to the meals at Disney.

aparisi2274

Combination biggest disappointment and best ride queue goes to: Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure. The ride screens for Harry Potter were dim and blurry. Considering the year the ride was installed, this was a bit surprising. When compared to the recently upgraded Spider Man projection, the Despicable me ride projection, and Transformer ride projection, it was very disappointing. Simultaneously, the inside ride queue was very interesting and entertaining, if not the best ride queue I've encountered.

FYI... When Universal brings potter down for a refurb, they are going to upgrade the screens and projectors to the new 4k HD tech that is currently in Spiderman and Transformers... supposedly this going to be done within the next 12-14 months...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
FYI... When Universal brings potter down for a refurb, they are going to upgrade the screens and projectors to the new 4k HD tech that is currently in Spiderman and Transformers... supposedly this going to be done within the next 12-14 months...

Good to know, it badly needs it. The rest of the ride was fine, but the screen tech was so terrible it just took you out of the moment.

I think it's an issue about WDW's target audience. Disneyland gets a lot of locals who wouldn't be bothered if they get a different (and perhaps unwanted) Haunted Mansion or Space Mountain experience during their visit because they can easily come back later when the regular version of the ride is active. WDW gets more tourists who might only visit once every few years, so management probably feels that it's better to provide a consistent attraction experience year-round to not screw over the family that visits maybe once every five years and decides to head down at a time when the seasonal overlay is active. That's the best explanation I can come up with.

like me

Yep, as an european and disney parks fan, I would be really pissed going to a Disney park and wanting to try something for the first time (like original Haunted mansion or Space Mountain) and see it changed to their seasonal thing. I was already pissed that disneyland have different ride closings during the year and you have to be cautious if you come from a long distance when going to it, and worse of all, the time I went it was Matternhorn, something that the rest of Disney parks dont have.

So I understand because the type of public, that Disneyland has those this type of things (I would be also be thrilled for this changes if I lived near the park, something I would really love), but Disney World, being a really outside tourist park gives you always the original thing during the whole year. Disneyland Paris has the same thing as California, because its also a very outside tourist park of all people areound Europe, that will go 1, 2 or 3 times in their lifetime at max (im talking about normal people, not people that usually love to go to theme parks).
And america has two parks, so if you live near orlando and want to get the seasonal Haunted Mansion or Space Galaxy experience, you can always get a plane and visit california.

Rumors are saying Forbidden Journey will 4K projectors, a new ride profile, and air bladders (blow air on guests to reduce motion sickness) by the time Diagon opens. The new profile is supposed to hit mid January...maybe I'll luck out and it will be running during my trip Jan 5-8th. Will definitely report back.

Goldrusher

Seems to be the same artworks then, because its indeed the video they showed for the one here.
Hovewer I think the Paramount Park here will not be build at the end, even if they still say they are going to make it.

Video of it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjPG-m_XB78
Titanic part starts at 4:16, the ride is called Titanic: The Exhibition.
Sorry for the confusion. I thought you meant the Spanish park would have "dat giant Titanic" as well.
While the Spanish park will have a Titanic ride too, the replica Titanic was only planned for the Korean park. ;)

Titanic @ Paramount Park Murcia (opening 2016)
- a museum in a streetset

viewimage.php

(top building)

pps7.jpg

(building with the red banners)

maqueta4.jpg

(top right)

Titanic @ Paramount Movie Park Korea (cancelled)
- the ship in a dock

Sorry for the confusion. I thought you meant the Spanish park would have "dat giant Titanic" as well.
While the Spanish park will have a Titanic ride too, the replica Titanic was only planned for the Korean park. ;)

Titanic @ Paramount Park Murcia (opening 2016)
- a museum in a streetset

Titanic @ Paramount Movie Park Korea (cancelled)
- the ship in a dock

Oh yeah, thought we were talking only about the ride lol
Now im sad we are not getting the gigantic titanic as a fan of the ship itself :( Korean version seems superior.
But as I said, even if they still say its going to get build for 2016, im pretty sure is going to get cancelled some day or another before that date.
Was not even a good idea to build it there from the start, Murcia's summers are like being in the desert (im not kidding, between 40º to 45ºC is normal) and we already had a park here that becuase of no shadows and big temperatures during summer (and were not talking about the 40ºC temperatures that Murcia can get on a normal summer day) was a fiasco (at least that was one of the reasons, there are also others that helped having so many problems).

E$DIT Didnt read Korean one was cancelled :(

You know what im loving, that this thread is moving so much this week with theme park discussion! :)
So why is Paramount building (and also cancelling) so many theme parks at the same time around the world?

Linkified

I am not sure what else they are going to do effects-wise, but I really want them to have the old lady/trolley witch on the train. When I was a younger and read the book/watched the movie I always wanted to be like Ron and eat all those crazy candies on the train. :p Besides they already have the concept of the candies, since they sell those on the stores in Hogsmeade, so it would be easy to have them on the train. Just a minor detail I am sure, but would be nice imo.

Won't have that unfortunately for practical purposes of operation...

Suikoguy

I was down there in Oct, when on the ride 7x. I thought it was fantastic, but yes I agree, the screens need an update...

I think it's more of a case I was spoiled by the other ride screen tech, hehe.

LuuKyK

Won't have that unfortunately for practical purposes of operation...

Why? They could easily set a time, say, halfway through the ride, for the lady to go one time through all the cabins. Its not like people will be walking down the corridor, since there is not much else to do on a train, and they will be looking at the window/screen for the effects and such. I can see it being kind of hard to implement but its totally doable and would be nice to have it honestly.

thefro

Why? They could easily set a time, say, halfway through the ride, for the lady to go one time through all the cabins. Its not like people will be walking down the corridor, since there is not much else to do on a train, and they will be looking at the window/screen for the effects and such. I can see it being kind of hard to implement but its totally doable and would be nice to have it honestly.

It's probably only going to be a 5-10 minute ride tops so actually selling anything wouldn't be doable.

Texas-GAF here, visiting the original Six Flags this Monday with a friend. Definitely doing the New Texas Giant and expecting to still enjoy Titan after all these years; I'm more interested in revisiting Cedar Point and finally going to Disneyland than ever before, and Six Flags looks rather repugnant these days, but oh well. I don't think Batman's even open during the holiday season, which sucks! Better to queue for that than Mr. Freeze which only pays out in re-rides once you're done waiting an hour.

Linkified

Because it is like a 5 minute E-ticket spectacular. They will not have a lady moving down the train to be in sync with the Dementor attack on the way from DA to Hogsmede.

People need to think of Hogswart Express as less of a means of transportation and more of an E-ticket attraction.

Fits the rumors I've seen. Also screams "off the shelf" and "shoehorned", aka Dinoland U.S.A. @ Animal Kingdom.

If the Dino AAs are great, whatever I guess.

I think it will be a little more custom tailored for JP, but yeah, they want something that could potentially be finished by 2014. Given they also want a flat/carousel and possibly a new shop/restaurant while utilizing the old Triceratops Encounter plot they need to keep it small. Personally I am pretty bummed.. I would have liked to see any of the other JP projects before Kong recently took the large plot of land.. the Amber Mine, Hyper Coaster, and Dark Ride all sounded very appealing... Unfortunately now JP is being used as filler rather than a headlining new attraction. Still, the fact that the coaster may appear in the new film is a little bonus, but I'm sure the Amber Mine/Hyper Coaster would have appeared as well should they had been chosen.

Word is they will make use of the limited space by extending the coaster out to the waterfront JP area. But ultimately, yeah, it is all going to depend on the Dino AA's.

Fits the rumors I've seen. Also screams "off the shelf" and "shoehorned", aka Dinoland U.S.A. @ Animal Kingdom.

If the Dino AAs are great, whatever I guess.

I've heard that the JP coaster is supposed to be accompanied by a decent amount of rockwork, waterfalls, foliage, etc... along with a few AAs. I don't think it'll stick out, and it fills an important niche that IoA is sorely lacking (a themed family coaster). Rumors are also saying there's a fair chance it'll be completed by the end of 2014. Seems crazy but then again so was Transformers going up in a year.

They don't have haunted mansion holiday in Orlando? I actually didn't know that. I've never been to Orlando's mansion. They were renovating it the last time I was there.

It's a great mansion, but seriously shitty we don't get the Nightmare Before Christmas makeover ;__;

zeemumu

It's a great mansion, but seriously shitty we don't get the Nightmare Before Christmas makeover ;__;

True, but at least Universal Orlando gets into the Halloween spirit. I live on the opposite side of the country and I still keep track of what's going on in that park during October because they do such a good job when they create themes for the years. I liked how the yearly themes and icons had stories that could connect each of the houses to each other despite how different they all were, like the houses in the Bloody Mary year all being related to her patients, or Lady Luck causing the terrible fates of each main character in the maze. Universal Studios Hollywood is kind of lacking. Aside from the Terror Tram there's really nothing unique about it. No scarezone structure, no backstory that stretches through the entire park. It's kind of sad.

Word is the new wooden coaster being added to Jurassic Park (and potentially featured in the Jurassic World movie) is very similar to this: "The Splinter"

Seeme pretty family friendly.
Its so starnge we are going to see a realistic theme park with dinosaurs in the next movie. I like the idea, but im doubtful they are going to make that idea a good movie. Still, lets hope for the best.

I could see them theming that around some sort of ride into an Amber mine...

That was the original plan, a fully themed Amber Mine with indoor scenes. However, due to Kong absorbing a lot of the budget and Universal wanting this done by late 2014 the concept has been downsized. There will apparently still be rockwork done, but the Rollercoaster won't be hidden under the pretense of being a mine exploration and simple be presented as a coaster with some rockwork, water, greens and Dino AA's.

That said, should they choose to be a little adventurous, I hope we get something like this:

It would preserve the Waterfront of JP and put the coaster in the backdrop for a great visual.

It would preserve the Waterfront of JP and put the coaster in the backdrop for a great visual.

That second pic looks great. I guess I didn't envision the rockwork potentially being so tall. By blocking the view behind the discovery center, it gives it a bit more of a mysterious vibe. Good stuff.

Edit - Saw your posts on OU ;)

I love Disneyland in every way, but WDW mansion is superior.
Disneylands pirates is superior over WDW though.

aparisi2274

I love Disneyland in every way, but WDW mansion is superior.
Disneylands pirates is superior over WDW though.

DL's version of Space Mountain also shits all over the WDW version...

Also, DL has Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, which pisses me off, because WDW got rid of it years ago to make room for a Snow White dark ride, which isn't even there anymore!!!

DL's version of Space Mountain also shits all over the WDW version...

Also, DL has Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, which pisses me off, because WDW got rid of it years ago to make room for a Snow White dark ride, which isn't even there anymore!!!

They demo'd Mr. Toad for Pooh actually. The Snow White ride recently was torn down to make room for a princess meet and greet or some bullshit.

And DL Space is indeed amazing, if only for the fact that it doesn't beat the crap out of you when riding it.

That second pic looks great. I guess I didn't envision the rockwork potentially being so tall. By blocking the view behind the discovery center, it gives it a bit more of a mysterious vibe. Good stuff.

Edit - Saw your posts on OU ;)

Odds are it won't be as detailed or visually thought out, but hey, we can hope.. I imagine they want it to be decent considering the current plan is to have it appear in Jurassic World. I'm not sure if the filmmakers are setting the look of the coaster, or if IOA will and the movie will simple incorporate visual in a scene or two.

Vyer

Rumors are saying Forbidden Journey will 4K projectors, a new ride profile, and air bladders (blow air on guests to reduce motion sickness) by the time Diagon opens. The new profile is supposed to hit mid January...maybe I'll luck out and it will be running during my trip Jan 5-8th. Will definitely report back.

wait, what? I didn't know this was a thing.

I get issues with motion sickness, so I'm sad because I don't think I can ride any of these cool POV rides like Spiderman or Transformers. I never know if I can handle any of them and the only way to find out could end up....badly. :(

Top Bottom