• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

brerwolfe

So good! Only three cars though? Or thats just for test purposes?

Actually, I think they already confirmed that the LCD (or something) screens will be the windows.
Yes, they confirmed the lcd windows months ago to simulate the English countryside (with a few surprises along the way).

And as far as the cars, I don't expect that they'd add more. It's not a great distance between the two areas already, and then you have to consider the space allotted at each station to load and unload guests. More cars would make the trip/experience shorter.

But they have two trains running simultaneously. The queue should move pretty good.

And yes, the themeing of Harry Potter at IOA is top notch, certainly comparable to anything at Disney.
For me the Be Our Guest Restaurant is my single favorite theming anywhere, I just wish there was more in that area of that quality.

Potter does have the best area theming though.

So how does Disney Land Paris stack up these days? Tempted to take the kids this year but if it's still as poor as it was 10 years ago (based on word of mouth) I might just try to skip it save up for Florida instead.

Watched a few YouTube's - it looks like some rides are in English but others are in French which might be a bit off putting the the wee ones.

We went last September for the little ones first trip at 15 months and we loved it

A lot of it doesn't come close to WDW but the castle is stunning and the park itself is nice

Food is crap and smoking is annoying but seeing the boy experience the magic was great

aparisi2274

So good! Only three cars though? Or thats just for test purposes?

This is pure speculation on my part, but I do not think those cars have many seats in them, this way they can pack them with a proper amount of guests, which would then speed along the lines and get more people to and from Hogwarts... which is why there is only 3 cars...

So how does Disney Land Paris stack up these days? Tempted to take the kids this year but if it's still as poor as it was 10 years ago (based on word of mouth) I might just try to skip it save up for Florida instead.

Watched a few YouTube's - it looks like some rides are in English but others are in French which might be a bit off putting the the wee ones.

Much better than 10 years ago, thats for sure. And yeah, the rides in french mixed with english are annoying, but you cant do antyhing about that.
I liked Disneyland in California better, but had a great time at Paris, the outside theming is great (Tomorrowland/Discoveryland for example), they have the best Pirates version and a great twist with Phantom Manor (although I still like the original better). Studios is a little bit shit, but they have also great original things like Cinemagique, Animagique, Nemo coaster and Motors Action, while also having Tower of Terror.
Ah yes, and the new show at Disneyland paris, Disney Dreams!, similar to World of Color but at the castle, is great.
All the hotels but the mexican one are also great.

Goldrusher

Disney Parks - Behind the Scenes: Designing & Painting Seven Dwarf Mine Train

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFGk5-WYN60

We're thrilled to start off the New Year with an exciting behind-the-scenes look at Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Walt Disney Imagineering just shared this new video, in which Walt Disney Imagineers Ben VanBeusekon and Mary MacEachin explain the creative process behind designing and producing themed cars for the attraction.

And new concept art:

Mine-Train-CGI.jpg

zeemumu

Sigh, all of these Dwarf rollercoaster posts make me wish that Disneyland could make more renovations to the park. The Disneyland park could stand to get some new rides, and California Adventure could do with getting rid of some of the less popular rides to make room.

aparisi2274

So, it seems someone created a twitter account called @Amusementleaks, and they posted this layout of what Gringotts might look like.

11812577293_e0be1dbabb_o.png

Sorry for the large photo, but its hard to make out track layout in smaller photos...

What do you think?

Sigh, all of these Dwarf rollercoaster posts make me wish that Disneyland could make more renovations to the park. The Disneyland park could stand to get some new rides, and California Adventure could do with getting rid of some of the less popular rides to make room.

I'm all for new attractions at DLR but WDW needs some attention. I mean, Be Our Guest is pretty great, but at the same time it's kind of sad that the coolest thing to come out of New Fantasyland is a restaurant. Future World is in dire need of... anything.

aparisi2274

I'm all for new attractions at DLR but WDW needs some attention. I mean, Be Our Guest is pretty great, but at the same time it's kind of sad that the coolest thing to come out of New Fantasyland is a restaurant. Future World is in dire need of... anything.

Agree 100%

When Disney spends millions of dollars on an expansion and the coolest thing is a restaurant, you need to reevaluate your priorities... especially when Universal is grabbing guests from you with real expansions like Harry Potter (Hogwarts and soon London), new JP area, The Simpsons area...

If Disney was smart, they would've put more rides in NFL and not as many meet and greets, and they would've had their flagship attraction (dwarf mine train) open when the rest of the area opened.

And yes, Tomorrowland needs a rehab... BADLY! I wish we would've gotten the DL version of Space Mountain, since that is the far superior version, and they need to get rid of that Stitch encounter, its god awful!

Agree 100%

When Disney spends millions of dollars on an expansion and the coolest thing is a restaurant, you need to reevaluate your priorities... especially when Universal is grabbing guests from you with real expansions like Harry Potter (Hogwarts and soon London), new JP area, The Simpsons area...

If Disney was smart, they would've put more rides in NFL and not as many meet and greets, and they would've had their flagship attraction (dwarf mine train) open when the rest of the area opened.

And yes, Tomorrowland needs a rehab... BADLY! I wish we would've gotten the DL version of Space Mountain, since that is the far superior version, and they need to get rid of that Stitch encounter, its god awful!

As of right now, WDW is running on Cruise Control, which is sadly something it can get away with. As a huge Disney fan, it hurts to see, but i mean, the horizon doesn't look much better for it. I think WDW really caters to families who spend a lot of money on their kids, which is the main demo, and it works, since a lot of the stuff in NFL was basically to compete with Uni as far as having a new themed land, and having more places to spend money in the park. I mean, Be Our Guest turned out excellent, but everything else has either just been there, or taking so long to develop, i almost wonder if it will be worth it at the end. I do think Star Wars Land will be HUGE if done right, but who knows.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Throwing this out of nowhere, but when do you think we'll ever get some decent rides based off video games in the United States? I know there's a Sega park in Japan or something and I believe there's one or two in the U.S., but nothing to write home about.

aparisi2274

Throwing this out of nowhere, but when do you think we'll ever get some decent rides based off video games in the United States? I know there's a Sega park in Japan or something and I believe there's one or two in the U.S., but nothing to write home about.

When there is a demand for such a ride, and right now, there really is no demand for rides like this...

Most people just want a coaster that offers a lot of thrills... pretty much nobody cares what the theme is, as long as it gives them the thrills, so you could theme a coaster to Super Mario or Sonic or something, and nobody would give a damn what the theme actually was, just as long as the ride offered thrills that they were expecting.

Darkmakaimura

When there is a demand for such a ride, and right now, there really is no demand for rides like this...

Most people just want a coaster that offers a lot of thrills... pretty much nobody cares what the theme is, as long as it gives them the thrills, so you could theme a coaster to Super Mario or Sonic or something, and nobody would give a damn what the theme actually was, just as long as the ride offered thrills that they were expecting.
That depends on the ride too, especially when said ride is not a roller coaster.

If Star Tours was just a generic space adventure, it's true people would love it certainly also owes its success to being a 'Star Wars' ride. Many of Disney's rides are based off movies either made by Disney or others and that's why we get things like Simpsons Land, Marvel rides, Star Wars land, Avatar Land, etc. Of course, you're right in the end it just matters if the ride is good but certain rides and attractions wouldn't be the same without the theme their based on, especially motion rides, certain indoor "dark rides" and the like.

muteki

...I wish we would've gotten the DL version of Space Mountain, since that is the far superior version...

Opinions. WDW's is better to me in nearly every way, but I haven't been on it since they supposedly added trim brakes everywhere.

Both Tomorrowlands need an update, but I hope the Star-Wars-ification of DL's that is proposed doesn't go through. Too much history there.

aparisi2274

Opinions. WDW's is better to me in nearly every way, but I haven't been on it since they supposedly added trim brakes everywhere.

Both Tomorrowlands need an update, but I hope the Star-Wars-ification of DL's that is proposed doesn't go through. Too much history there.

Wow, I think you are the first person who thinks the WDW version of Space Mountain is better than the DL version.

The DL version has better ride vehicles, speakers in the headrest, and an awesome soundtrack that is timed perfectly to the ride...

I'd love to hear your opinions on Space Mountain. I think WDW's SM shares more similarities with the Matterhorn than DL's actual SM. I think both are great though. The biggest reason I'd pick DL's over WDW's is because of the music.

aparisi2274

That depends on the ride too, especially when said ride is not a roller coaster.

If Star Tours was just a generic space adventure, it's true people would love it certainly also owes its success to being a 'Star Wars' ride. Many of Disney's rides are based off movies either made by Disney or others and that's why we get things like Simpsons Land, Marvel rides, Star Wars land, Avatar Land, etc. Of course, you're right in the end it just matters if the ride is good but certain rides and attractions wouldn't be the same without the theme their based on, especially motion rides, certain indoor "dark rides" and the like.

here is the problem...

If I go to Disney with my family, its a safe bet that we all know about Star Wars or Snow White, or Beauty and the Beast, but the same can't be said about a ride themed to Sonic or Gears of War, or Uncharted...

muteki

Wow, I think you are the first person who thinks the WDW version of Space Mountain is better than the DL version.

The DL version has better ride vehicles, speakers in the headrest, and an awesome soundtrack that is timed perfectly to the ride...

Again, opinions, but the soundtrack in DL didn't make up for what I thought was the inferior coaster. DL SM to me feels like Barnstormer in the dark. WDW SM is so old and about to fall apart it shakes so much, feels more like you are in a real rocket. More sudden drops, better theming on ride/off, the feeling like if you raise your arms at any point on the ride you will lose your hands...its just great.

I need to ride it again though, reports of the brakes they added (again because the ride is falling apart) suggest the ride is much tamer.

I'd love to hear your opinions on Space Mountain. I think WDW's SM shares more similarities with the Matterhorn than DL's actual SM. I think both are great though. The biggest reason I'd pick DL's over WDW's is because of the music.

The music just doesn't add that much value to me (IMO). WDW's has off-vehicle soundtrack now too (which isn't as good, but whatever), and some of the best ambient queue music ever.

5amshift

Banned
Leaving for Florida later and I haven't been to Universal since '96, so I'm expecting a big change and pretty pumped for The Wizarding World.

aparisi2274

Again, opinions, but the soundtrack in DL didn't make up for what I thought was the inferior coaster. DL SM to me feels like Barnstormer in the dark. WDW SM is so old and about to fall apart it shakes so much, feels more like you are in a real rocket. More sudden drops, better theming on ride/off, the feeling like if you raise your arms at any point on the ride you will lose your hands...its just great.

I need to ride it again though, reports of the brakes they added (again because the ride is falling apart) suggest the ride is much tamer.

The music just doesn't add that much value to me (IMO). WDW's has off-vehicle soundtrack now too (which isn't as good, but whatever), and some of the best ambient queue music ever.

My issue is that I am rarely in the LA area (NYC here), so I hardly go to DL, and when I am in the LA area, its for E3, and I never have time to hit up DL, so I am basing my opinion off the last time I went on the updated SM, which was about 4yrs ago.

I was in WDW this Oct, and I went on SM, and do not get me wrong, the ride is awesome, I just wish we had the soundtrack to go along with the ride.

I'm not looking to have the entire track layout replaced with the DL version, I would just like to have the ride vehicle and sound system from DL implemented in WDW

Darkmakaimura

here is the problem...

If I go to Disney with my family, its a safe bet that we all know about Star Wars or Snow White, or Beauty and the Beast, but the same can't be said about a ride themed to Sonic or Gears of War, or Uncharted...
True, but most people do know what Super Mario and Legend of Zelda is. I know a lot of (mostly older) people who never heard of Lord of the Rings and that's a planned attraction. You also got Marvel characters a lot (again, usually older) people never heard of and they have rides based on those. Video games are almost becoming as big as Hollywood. I guess now wouldn't be the time although I could definitely see an entire themed area if not theme park based on games in the not so distant future.

thefro

As of right now, WDW is running on Cruise Control, which is sadly something it can get away with. As a huge Disney fan, it hurts to see, but i mean, the horizon doesn't look much better for it. I think WDW really caters to families who spend a lot of money on their kids, which is the main demo, and it works, since a lot of the stuff in NFL was basically to compete with Uni as far as having a new themed land, and having more places to spend money in the park. I mean, Be Our Guest turned out excellent, but everything else has either just been there, or taking so long to develop, i almost wonder if it will be worth it at the end. I do think Star Wars Land will be HUGE if done right, but who knows.

C81LJdv.png

It'll be interesting to see the 2013 numbers when they come out this summer, but WDW can definitely afford to coast right now.

If Comcast keeps investing in Univesral they'll start eating into WDW's profits at some point, although I think there's a "rising tide lifts all boats" thing going on to some extent where someone might go to Orlando because of the Harry Potter attraction and then visit WDW while they're in the area.

aparisi2274

C81LJdv.png

It'll be interesting to see the 2013 numbers when they come out this summer, but WDW can definitely afford to coast right now.

If Comcast keeps investing in Univesral they'll start eating into WDW's profits at some point, although I think there's a "rising tide lifts all boats" thing going on to some extent where someone might go to Orlando because of the Harry Potter attraction and then visit WDW while they're in the area.

I'm pretty much done with WDW at this point. I was there in Oct, and aside from NFL, Test Track 2.0, Star Tours 2.0, and Big Thunder Mtn 2.0 nothing else has really changed and nothing new is coming until 2017, when they open Avatar land at AK.

If I go down to FL again, it will strictly be to visit Universal, with a possible side trip to Epcot for Food & Wine.

WDW SM is fucking terrifying and the last time I went on it without feeling awful afterwards was the early 90s.

And yeah, World is in coast mode because it can. Crowds get worse and worse every year with or without new rides. The only hope of that changing is Universal keeping it's growth and numbers soaring.

zeemumu

I wouldn't mind a Wild Animal Kingdom park out here. I don't know where they'd get the extra room, though.

Linkified

WDW SM is fucking terrifying and the last time I went on it without feeling awful afterwards was the early 90s.

And yeah, World is in coast mode because it can. Crowds get worse and worse every year with or without new rides. The only hope of that changing is Universal keeping it's growth and numbers soaring.

You'll be glad to hear though numbers of actual guests through the turnstiles, aren't the problem with TDO, its the ever increasing average guest spending which is the main battleground along with a higher proportion of guests @ WDW who have rental cars compared to 90s to early 00s.

TDO don't get why things like occupancy rate are falling and guest spending is stagnant, oh yes also no Disney Hollywood Extreme Makeover 2: Extremer until they have fixed he parking situation at DHS and that won't be fixed until 2016 at the earliest.

Rode Transformers immediately after Spidey last night and it really reinforced how much more intense TF is. Just a ton more motion and lateral movement feels much faster. There's never downtime, even when watching Optimus and Megatron punch each other, the vehicle rumbles with every blow. Also saw the elevators in action. They're ridiculously fast.

Having an awesome time at UOR, as usual. Walked on Transformers 4 times and Mummy 3 times this morning with based express. Only got on FJ once though.

aparisi2274

Rode Transformers immediately after Spidey last night and it really reinforced how much more intense TF is. Just a ton more motion and lateral movement feels much faster. There's never downtime, even when watching Optimus and Megatron punch each other, the vehicle rumbles with every blow. Also saw the elevators in action. They're ridiculously fast.

Having an awesome time at UOR, as usual. Walked on Transformers 4 times and Mummy 3 times this morning with based express. Only got on FJ once though.

I had to ride transformers 3x because I was in awe of the
IMAX screen where Optimus rolls in for the first time.
It was ridiculous

It was ridiculous

I always struggle between looking straight and watching the elevator in that scene. But yeah, the scale there is super impressive. Especially from the front row where you're lower to the ground. Even though the RV is raised above the track, it's always impressive how the screens make you feel like you're on ground level for driving or whatever.

A cool team member fistbumped me at the Transformers unload after my last ride. Said he recognized me lol. I can ride that thing over and over... <3 express

Temperature outside today and yesterday was a bit brisk for coasters imo. Need to get on Hulk and Dragons tomorrow when it warms up. But Mummy more than sufficed for today. That ride is pure joy the whole way through. It only does everything (TM).

Also, #thatawesomemoment when the opposing car on Men in Black is empty :D

aparisi2274

I always struggle between looking straight and watching the elevator in that scene. But yeah, the scale there is super impressive. Especially from the front row where you're lower to the ground. Even though the RV is raised above the track, it's always impressive how the screens make you feel like you're on ground level for driving or whatever.

A cool team member fistbumped me at the Transformers unload after my last ride. Said he recognized me lol. I can ride that thing over and over... <3 express

Temperature outside today and yesterday was a bit brisk for coasters imo. Need to get on Hulk and Dragons tomorrow when it warms up. But Mummy more than sufficed for today. That ride is pure joy the whole way through. It only does everything (TM).

Also, #thatawesomemoment when the opposing car on Men in Black is empty :D

I assume you already went on Forbidden Journey in Hogwarts? I went on that 7x in a row. 1 ride I walked the entire queue which is fantastic, then each ride thereafter I took the single rider entrance.

I assume you already went on Forbidden Journey in Hogwarts? I went on that 7x in a row. 1 ride I walked the entire queue which is fantastic, then each ride thereafter I took the single rider entrance.

Only got on once today. It was midday so even single rider was a 15-20 minute wait. I'll probably do early entry at 8am tomorrow so hopefully I can get some more rides in. Still great though!

brerwolfe

Are you guys visiting from out of town? Do you ever bother to see shows when you're here, or is it strictly theme parks?

I only ask because I work part-time at Blue Man Group. We've been pretty busy the last several weeks as a result of the parks being slammed for the holidays. Just wondering if visiting shows while in town is a thought for the avid theme park visitor.

aparisi2274

Are you guys visiting from out of town? Do you ever bother to see shows when you're here, or is it strictly theme parks?

I only ask because I work part-time at Blue Man Group. We've been pretty busy the last several weeks as a result of the parks being slammed for the holidays. Just wondering if visiting shows while in town is a thought for the avid theme park visitor.

I live in NYC, so I've seen Blue Man a few times....but NO, I never see a show when I am down in Orlando, unless you count shows like the Hoop Dee Doo Revue or the Luau at the Poly.

Honestly, aside from BMG and Cirque, I have no idea what shows are even performing in Orlando.

I'm from UT and believe it or not what I do for the day is usually determined by my dining reservations. lol

I'm an Orlando newbie though. Last month was my second time there and my first time in Universal. I must've gone on a slow day too because it was absolutely DEAD. Forbidden Journey was about a 10 min wait and the longest we waited for anything. We had only a one day pass and managed to do about everything on our to-do lists. I didn't see any out-of-park shows though :/

It was ridiculous

Dat 4k projection. Uni Orlando will be upgrading all rides that use screens (Potter, Spider-Man is already done, Simpsons, maybe others I am unaware of) to 4k based projectors. I heard good things about SM after the refurb.

Skunkers

C81LJdv.png

I really don't think they can afford to coast anymore, though they are complacent to. I recall seeing the park stats and the Universal parks were significantly lower a few years ago. They are catching up slowly but a few more years at that rate of growth and they'll be surpassing DHS and AK. And you can certainly imagine there will be a nice big bump in attendance at both parks (particularly USF) this year when Diagon Alley opens, so it could happen sooner than later.

Nobody's predicting that Universal are going to start completely beating WDW in overall profits/attendance; that will pretty much never happen, Disney has way too many acres/parks/resorts/shops/etc for that. And the Magic Kingdom obviously has nothing to worry about. The issue is Universal taking a bigger bite out of the average vacation time; i.e. people starting to go to Universal for 2 days and WDW for 3, when they previously just used to go to WDW for 5 days.

The problem is TDO being reluctant to spend on new attractions, and working at a glacial pace on horridly overpriced projects when they actually do decide to greenlight something. MyMagic+ program was ridiculously expensive (reportedly $2B), and is overbudget, and not producing the expected returns. Projects like NFL and Avatarland are taking forever to be built. Meanwhile the rumor from insiders is that Universal isn't stopping for anything, they are planning a huge number of additional hotel rooms to increase occupancy, major new attractions every year, and supposedly a water park and third theme park by around 2020. If that's all true, and they keep delivering the way they've been, Universal is going to be carving a huge chunk out of the proverbial Disney pie. What's notable about that is how if you rewind time about 10-20 years, nobody thought that would be possible. Hell, even a bit over 5 years ago, nobody would have guessed it. Universal was always a perennial small dog next door, but now it's apparently growing teeth while WDW is most vulnerable.

Disney needs to get their act together, and soon. It's true they make a lot more money than the competition, and it's true that increased tourism to Universal will bleed over and increase their profits. But they have been cutting back on upkeep long enough now that some things are falling into disrepair, and they are falling behind on providing new attractions. The more they let that stuff pile up, the harder and more expensive it will be to catch up later. TDO need to bite the bullet, understand they will actually need to spend a lot of money, and get back in the game to keep their marketshare. Alas, they move so slowly I think it's all but inevitable at this point. That or, they for some reason beyond comprehension, don't mind losing some.

I'm visiting from out of state, staying four nights at RPR. Only show I've done so far is Horror Make Up in USF. I'm just more of an attractions guy. Heard good things about your show though.

aparisi2274

Dat 4k projection. Uni Orlando will be upgrading all rides that use screens (Potter, Spider-Man is already done, Simpsons, maybe others I am unaware of) to 4k based projectors. I heard good things about SM after the refurb.

Spiderman 4k upgrade was like night and day! Last time I was at Uni O was in 2009, prior to the update to 4k and Spidey was starting to look old and weathered... fast forward to 2013 when I was down there this past October, and lets just say it was like that ride was reborn.

I can't wait for them to upgrade Potter and Simpsons.

brerwolfe

I live in NYC, so I've seen Blue Man a few times....but NO, I never see a show when I am down in Orlando
That's funny. I haven't seen Blue Man in other cities, but I'm told that Orlando is a completely different experience. Astor (nyc) is supposed to be more intimate, I guess. Orlando capacity is 1000 seats, I think Astor might be around 300 or so.

I'm flying up to Boston for some freelance work on Saturday. Gonna try to see the Blue Man show up there, wanna see how different it plays from Orlando.

All I know is that I've worked here since August and I absolutely love it. Not sure what ticket prices are, but I think $40-50 would provide the perfect value (though I think they're close to $70).

I won't be home for 3 weeks, but when I get back, if anyone is interested and wants to see the show, I can get tickets from the box office for $35. I'd be happy to help a fellow theme park gaffer out.

aparisi2274

That's funny. I haven't seen Blue Man in other cities, but I'm told that Orlando is a completely different experience. Astor (nyc) is supposed to be more intimate, I guess. Orlando capacity is 1000 seats, I think Astor might be around 300 or so.

I'm flying up to Boston for some freelance work on Saturday. Gonna try to see the Blue Man show up there, wanna see how different it plays from Orlando.

All I know is that I've worked here since August and I absolutely love it. Not sure what ticket prices are, but I think $40-50 would provide the perfect value (though I think they're close to $70).

I won't be home for 3 weeks, but when I get back, if anyone is interested and wants to see the show, I can get tickets from the box office for $35. I'd be happy to help a fellow theme park gaffer out.

Most of the BMG shows are the best of bits from other shows... like the Vegas show has the best bits from NYC and Boston. Not sure about orlando though...

I think the NYC show is the original, and then all the other city shows spawned from that, and yes it is very intimate, which is really cool for a show like this.

Nobody's predicting that Universal are going to start completely beating WDW in overall profits/attendance; that will pretty much never happen, Disney has way too many acres/parks/resorts/shops/etc for that. And the Magic Kingdom obviously has nothing to worry about. The issue is Universal taking a bigger bite out of the average vacation time; i.e. people starting to go to Universal for 2 days and WDW for 3, when they previously just used to go to WDW for 5 days.

The problem is TDO being reluctant to spend on new attractions, and working at a glacial pace on horridly overpriced projects when they actually do decide to greenlight something. MyMagic+ program was ridiculously expensive (reportedly $2B), and is overbudget, and not producing the expected returns.

Potter made Universal Orlando a household name next to Disney World. That reputation will do nothing but increase. Once Universal can fully complete in the resort share that WDW offers, they will be a fierce competitor, and with two more resorts being built, that point is coming soon. Since WWOHP, Uni has been doing things right when it comes to attractions.

Oh god I spent too long putting this list together. I was doing it originally just to compare timeframes of construction for Uni vs Disney, but when you look at everything side by side its amazing what Uni has done compared to WDW since 2007. Uni tore down two buildings, built a new one, and opened an entirely new ride (Transformers) in the same amount of time it took TDO to slap some new paint on a Starspeeder and refurb Star Tours. I'm not even going to touch the staggered opening of FLE or the two separate plans for Downtown Disney or the 2 1/2 years it's been since Avatar was announced (which is less time than it took Uni to build and open WWOHP!)

UNIVERSAL

Lands:

WWOHP (1 new ride, 2 rethemed rides, plus new themed attractions and shops, replacing a large part of an existing "Island" plus new expansion)
Announced May 2007
Construction started Jan 2008
Open June 2010

WWOHP 2.0 (2 new rides (if you count Hogwarts Express), unknown number of attractions, at least 2 eateries, several shops, replacing Jaws and Amityville plus new expansion)
First announced December, 2011
Construction satrted right after Jaws closed January 2012
Opening 2014

Rides:

Simpsons (extensive BTTF refurb)-
Announced 2007
Construction started 2007
Opened May 15th 2008
Surrounding area rethemed 2013 with food and a new ride

Rip Ride Rockit -
Announced March 19 2008
Construction started May 2008
Open August 2009

Transformers (completely replacing two attractions/buildings)-
Announced November 1, 2012
Construction started immediately (if not before the official announcement)
Open June 2013

Attractions:

Some Citywalk updates - a Mini Golf course, some other that I'm not sure about. I don't follow Citywalk news that much.

WDW

Lands:

New Fantasyland
Announced September 2009 - originally consisted of Pixie Hollow play area/Meet and Greet, Be our Guest Restaurant, Little Mermaid Ride, Belle Meet and Greet/Show, Cinderella Meet and Greet, Sleeping Beauty Meet and Greet/Show, Barnstormer refurb and move/addition of a new Dumbo Spinner
Construction started early 2010
Plans revised January 2011 - Completely removed Pixie Hollow, Cinderella Meet and Greet, Sleeping Beauty Meet and Greet/Show, rethemed old Toontown into Storybook Circus, added 7 Dwarfs Mine Ride, added a few new minor attractions and food areas
Storybook Circus, phase 1 - Barnstormer, One Dumbo opened March 2012
Storybook Circus, phase 2 - Second Dumbo, Casey Jr splash zone - July 2012
Storybook Circus, phase 3 - Pete's Silly Sideshow and Big Top Souvenirs - October 2012
New Fantasyland, phase 1 - Everything except mine ride - December 2012
New Fantasyland, phase 2 - Mine ride - Sometime 2014.

Announced September 2011
No construction, no opening date. Planned opening sometime between 2016 - 2018. Some concept art shown but not much. No official attraction details but plenty of rumors (imagine Soarin on steroids, and a Jungle Cruise type ride through Pandora)

Rides:

Star Tours 2.0 (update to ride projection, anamatronics, story, slight refurb of queue and ride vehicles)
Announced September 2009
Refurb started Oct 2010
Opened May 2011

Attractions:

Several new Meet and Greets opened between 2007 - 2013 - namely Princess Fairytale Hall (refurb of Snow Whites Scary Adventures, took about a year)

Hyperion Wharf (update to Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island which has been closed since 2008 (RIP Adventurer's Club))
Announced November 2010
Demolition started February 2011, stopped shortly after)
Concept revised in March 2013 to...

Disney Springs
Announced March 2013
Constrction started in Summer 2013
Opening 2016

aparisi2274

Oh god I spent too long putting this list together. I was doing it originally just to compare timeframes of construction for Uni vs Disney, but when you look at everything side by side its amazing what Uni has done compared to WDW. Uni tore down two buildings, built a new one, and opened an entirely new ride (Transformers) in the same amount of time it took TDO to slap some new paint on a Starspeeder and refurb Star Tours. I'm not even going to touch the staggered opening of FLE or the two separate plans for Downtown Disney or the 2 1/2 years it's been since Avatar was announced (which is less time than it took Uni to build and open WWOHP!)

UNIVERSAL

Lands:

WWOHP (1 new ride, 2 rethemed rides, plus new themed attractions and shops, replacing a large part of an existing "Island" plus new expansion)
Announced May 2007
Construction started Jan 2008
Open June 2010

WWOHP 2.0 (2 new rides (if you count Hogwarts Express), unknown number of attractions, at least 2 eateries, several shops, replacing Jaws and Amityville plus new expansion)
First announced December, 2011
Construction satrted right after Jaws closed January 2012
Opening 2014

Rides:

Simpsons (extensive BTTF refurb)-
Announced 2007
Construction started 2007
Opened May 15th 2008
Surrounding area rethemed 2013 with food and a new ride

Rip Ride Rockit -
Announced March 19 2008
Construction started May 2008
Open August 2009

Transformers (completely replacing two attractions/buildings)-
Announced November 1, 2012
Construction started immediately (if not before the official announcement)
Open June 2013

Attractions:

Some Citywalk updates - a Mini Golf course, some other that I'm not sure about. I don't follow Citywalk news that much.

WDW

Lands:

New Fantasyland
Announced September 2009 - originally consisted of Pixie Hollow play area/Meet and Greet, Be our Guest Restaurant, Little Mermaid Ride, Belle Meet and Greet/Show, Cinderella Meet and Greet, Sleeping Beauty Meet and Greet/Show, Barnstormer refurb and move/addition of a new Dumbo Spinner
Construction started early 2010
Plans revised January 2011 - Completely removed Pixie Hollow, Cinderella Meet and Greet, Sleeping Beauty Meet and Greet/Show, rethemed old Toontown into Storybook Circus, added 7 Dwarfs Mine Ride, added a few new minor attractions and food areas
Storybook Circus, phase 1 - Barnstormer, One Dumbo opened March 2012
Storybook Circus, phase 2 - Second Dumbo, Casey Jr splash zone - July 2012
Storybook Circus, phase 3 - Pete's Silly Sideshow and Big Top Souvenirs - October 2012
New Fantasyland, phase 1 - Everything except mine ride - December 2012
New Fantasyland, phase 2 - Mine ride - Sometime 2014.

Announced September 2011
No construction, no opening date. Planned opening sometime between 2016 - 2018. Some concept art shown but not much. No official attraction details but plenty of rumors (imagine Soarin on steroids, and a Jungle Cruise type ride through Pandora)

Rides:

Star Tours 2.0 (update to ride projection, anamatronics, story, slight refurb of queue and ride vehicles)
Announced September 2009
Refurb started Oct 2010
Opened May 2011

Attractions:

Several new Meet and Greets opened between 2007 - 2013 - namely Princess Fairytale Hall (refurb of Snow Whites Scary Adventures, took about a year)

Hyperion Wharf (update to Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island which has been closed since 2008 (RIP Adventurer's Club))
Announced November 2010
Demolition started February 2011, stopped shortly after)
Concept revised in March 2013 to...

Disney Springs
Announced March 2013
Constrction started in Summer 2013
Opening 2016

Wow, awesome job dude!

Uni Orlando is killing it when it comes to opening new rides or themed areas... the fact that they were able to announce, build and open Transformers within a year is ridiculous. Granted its the same layout as Hollywood, so it was probably easy to get the same parts manufactured quicker, but still, that was a quick turnaround.

I am still amazed that they were able to close Amityville and get London built and opened faster than it takes for Disney to complete ONE ride (7 Dwarves).

With their expansion in the parks and the new hotel (Cabana Bay), they are quickly becoming a go to destination for travelers, especially since its cheaper to stay there than at most Disney hotels...

I am really looking forward to the London side of Potter, as I think the Gringotts bank coaster will be unlike anything we have ever seen or rode, especially if they use 4k technology for the screens.

Finally got done outdoor coastin' in! Rode both dragons with the re-ride shortcut and Hulk after that. We got stopped immediately after dispatch on Hulk because some guy in my row had his camera out. Normally wouldn't be a big deal, but we ended up launching without any audio, so we didn't know exactly when the train would accelerate out of the tunnel. Really added to the suspense. Dragons were smooth as usual. Hulk has gotten pretty rattly but no head banging or anything. Just not something I can re-ride over and over.

Other than that, did TF x2, Mummy x3, FJ, and Cat in the Hat...the spinning is so intense on that lol.

Will probably be back to the parks within an hour. Should be about 3 hours more of park time. Amazing trip so far.

edit - scratch that...rain is coming down pretty good. Might not make it back over until tomorrow morning :(

Top Bottom