• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I can't handle rollercoaster Gs...but I went on Everest at Animal Kingdom and that shit was crazy. :O

It hits nearly 60MPH....backwards.

RGVNOE

Six Flags Fiesta Texas

Iron Rattler

http://content.sixflags.com/newfor2013/fiestatexas/iron-rattler

main_SANAIronRattler.jpg

CGI video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1Ey4k6lN44 --> more of a commercial
CGI video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmbNSPl_i4o --> more footage

The Rattler reborn. Steel track and a new layout featuring an inversion.

Haven't been to Fiesta Texas in ages, I thought the rattler was ok, but not great, but these videos make it look pretty decent, My oldest brother wants to go again so maybe I'll go check it out next year. It certainly looks better

wait, what? I didn't know this was a thing.

I get issues with motion sickness, so I'm sad because I don't think I can ride any of these cool POV rides like Spiderman or Transformers. I never know if I can handle any of them and the only way to find out could end up....badly. :(

I've read that taking Dramamine helps greatly with reducing motion sickness in rides. Might be worth a try.

brerwolfe

I do miss the Back to the Future ride, and will be sad that Dueling Dragons has been rethemed. :(
The re-theming of Dueling Dragons is pretty good though, especially if you're into the HP universe. My only gripe about the ride is that they no longer "duel" because of the accidents a couple years ago. Otherwise, still a great experience.

aparisi2274

The re-theming of Dueling Dragons is pretty good though, especially if you're into the HP universe. My only gripe about the ride is that they no longer "duel" because of the accidents a couple years ago. Otherwise, still a great experience.

It wasn't accidents per se, but I think a bunch of assholes sitting in the front on one of the trains threw some stuff at the other train during one of the dueling sections and people complained, and now Universal will no longer duel them.... which sucks.

I also agree that the theming is top notch, especially if you like Potter... and I like how the new Hogsmeade Hogwarts Train station is being built like right in there with the rest of the coaster.

but I do miss the Back to the Future ride, and will be sad that Dueling Dragons has been rethemed. :(

I miss BTTF as well, but it was getting old and the movie was worn and the ride was getting a bit boring... I hear that they are going to soon be bringing the Simpsons ride down to replace the current projection with 4k, which should make for a nice upgrade.

brerwolfe

The ride screens for Harry Potter were dim and blurry. Considering the year the ride was installed, this was a bit surprising.

I swear the screen were brighter when it first opened. The last couple times I rode it I definitely felt like it was darker too. Hopefully they change that sooner rather than later.

aparisi2274

I swear the screen were brighter when it first opened. The last couple times I rode it I definitely felt like it was darker too. Hopefully they change that sooner rather than later.

Since Univ is upgrading all projection based rides to 4k screens, it is safe to assume that Potter is on the list, and I remember reading that it might happen in the next 12-15 months...

brerwolfe

I am not sure what else they are going to do effects-wise, but I really want them to have the old lady/trolley witch on the train. When I was a younger and read the book/watched the movie I always wanted to be like Ron and eat all those crazy candies on the train. :p Besides they already have the concept of the candies, since they sell those on the stores in Hogsmeade, so it would be easy to have them on the train. Just a minor detail I am sure, but would be nice imo.
Yes, that would be a nice feature. Unfortunately, with the speed the trains are going, and the distance from point A to point B, not gonna be enough time to make that happen.

My only disappointment (from what I've seen so far) is that the train going from Hogsmeade back to London travels backwards along the track. I don't know how much of the trains are seen by the public as they leave/enter the stations, but walking around backstage the other day I thought it looked pretty silly.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
wait, what? I didn't know this was a thing.

I get issues with motion sickness, so I'm sad because I don't think I can ride any of these cool POV rides like Spiderman or Transformers. I never know if I can handle any of them and the only way to find out could end up....badly. :(

Have you considered taking anything for motion sickness? like Dramamine?
I read multiple reports of it helping people.

And yes, the themeing of Harry Potter at IOA is top notch, certainly comparable to anything at Disney.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Despicable Me Minion Mayhem should also be open next year at USH.

It's fairly well done. They were still having problems with it at Universal Orlando though. the ride froze up in the first 15 seconds, and it took 4 minutes to reset.

Cool, yeah I'm looking forward to seeing it. Was just a real cool feeling going through that old Queue.

As for the dueling, sad it's stopped, but as it was a safety concern, you gotta do what ya gotta do.

I miss BTTF as well, but it was getting old and the movie was worn and the ride was getting a bit boring... I hear that they are going to soon be bringing the Simpsons ride down to replace the current projection with 4k, which should make for a nice upgrade.

Yeah, true. I only rode it once, so it never got repetitive for me. At least the entire Queue video is on the Blu Rays for the Trilogy!

Also, isn't Doc still a character you can meet at USOrlando?

lush

I was pretty disappointed with the re-theming of Dueling Dragons to be honest. I always thought Dueling Dragons was underrated in that regard, though I know that queue is never really utilized all that well considering its size contrasted with how short the wait time usually is. The re-theming is pretty tame/boring though once you get in the castle itself.

Also, isn't Doc still a character you can meet at USOrlando?

Yeah, I think he hangs around the BttF3 train by Animal Actors.

I was pretty disappointed with the re-theming of Dueling Dragons to be honest. I always thought Dueling Dragons was underrated in that regard, though I know that queue is never really utilized all that well considering its size contrasted with how short the wait time usually is. The re-theming is pretty tame/boring though once you get in the castle itself.

The DD queue was so good that it almost could have been a walkthrough attraction by itself if it had some sort of conclusion. Really thorough and creepy theming with the stained glass projection, skeletons, frozen knights in the ceiling, tight corridors, etc... I'd put it up there with Tower of Terror, FJ, pretty much any queue you can think of. A true casualty of Wizarding World.

And yes, the themeing of Harry Potter at IOA is top notch, certainly comparable to anything at Disney.

I think it'll come down to a matter of taste but Carsland has Wizarding World beat, IMO, and I don't even care for the Cars films. Other than that, Disney doesn't normally base entire lands off a single property. Forbidden Journey probably has the best queue though. I'd say the best overall theming goes to DisneySea.

aparisi2274

I think it'll come down to a matter of taste but Carsland has Wizarding World beat, IMO, and I don't even care for the Cars films. Other than that, Disney doesn't normally base entire lands off a single property. Forbidden Journey probably has the best queue though. I'd say the best overall theming goes to DisneySea.

I agree about DisneySea.... that has to be the nicest Disney park I have ever set foot in. It's absolutely astonishing what they did with that place...

I have yet to visit carsland, but it has to really wow me to beat Potter for overall theming. I mean everything in Potter, right down to the most minute detail is ridiculous... I can't wait to see how insane the London side will be when it opens this summer...

RoyalFool

Banned
So how does Disney Land Paris stack up these days? Tempted to take the kids this year but if it's still as poor as it was 10 years ago (based on word of mouth) I might just try to skip it save up for Florida instead.

Watched a few YouTube's - it looks like some rides are in English but others are in French which might be a bit off putting the the wee ones.

Had fun at SF Over Texas yesterday, small attendance right before Christmas festivities. First time for me to ride the new Giant, two times in that back car where you get yanked over the hill—excellent coaster, though I bet it was better with the jittery experience back in its heyday. Titan's still good as ever, and the park's essential for folks in my area. It's about time I start heading out to Holiday World and the other parks I've ignored.

I agree about DisneySea.... that has to be the nicest Disney park I have ever set foot in. It's absolutely astonishing what they did with that place...

I have yet to visit carsland, but it has to really wow me to beat Potter for overall theming. I mean everything in Potter, right down to the most minute detail is ridiculous... I can't wait to see how insane the London side will be when it opens this summer...

Yep. I certainly don't mean to deminish Potter's theming quality. I really love the shops too, even if i never buy anything. The detail really is amazing. I think a lot of people might prefer it over Carsland. I grew up in the Southwest and I find the red rock work Disney did to be very impressive. I took my 65 year old dad there this last thanksgiving break and he just kept going on about how it looked.

I think I might want to try a 2014 visit to Potter to see London because I probably won't be leaving the west coast in 2015 for Disneyland's 60th.

The DD queue was so good that it almost could have been a walkthrough attraction by itself if it had some sort of conclusion. Really thorough and creepy theming with the stained glass projection, skeletons, frozen knights in the ceiling, tight corridors, etc... I'd put it up there with Tower of Terror, FJ, pretty much any queue you can think of. A true casualty of Wizarding World.

Any videos/pictures still exists from that queue? I'd like to see it. I remember the talk of how many of the Disney Imagineers that Uni hired for Islands brought ideas from the shelved Beastly Kingdom.

Skunkers

Absolutely agree. It's not that the re-themeing is bad (though it's nothing spectacular), it's that the old queue was so good. Unfortunately for the Gunstarheroes, it was really dark and ambient so I doubt there is any video out there that will do it justice. It was a triumph of a queue theming-wise. I almost wish they had just made a path from the Lost Continent area so it didn't need the Potter layover; the only problem with that is that the existing path/queue is already long enough.

brerwolfe

It's only weird to me because often times the actual walk through the queue takes longer than whatever wait time there is for the ride. It's a long ass queue.

Absolutely agree. It's not that the re-themeing is bad (though it's nothing spectacular), it's that the old queue was so good. Unfortunately for the Gunstarheroes, it was really dark and ambient so I doubt there is any video out there that will do it justice. It was a triumph of a queue theming-wise. I almost wish they had just made a path from the Lost Continent area so it didn't need the Potter layover; the only problem with that is that the existing path/queue is already long enough.

I got to see it once, but it was when their weren't any crowds, so much of the queue was missed.

So was showing my gf videos of the Safari ride at Animal Kingdom and it looks like they may have changed it. Ive only rode it once, and it was probably 10+ years ago, but I thought I remembered a section at the end where youre on a bridge and it gets flooded out and you ride the river back down.

Did i just make this up or did they get rid of it?

So was showing my gf videos of the Safari ride at Animal Kingdom and it looks like they may have changed it. Ive only rode it once, and it was probably 10+ years ago, but I thought I remembered a section at the end where youre on a bridge and it gets flooded out and you ride the river back down.

Did i just make this up or did they get rid of it?

Are you thinking of Rhino Rally at Busch Gardens Tampa? They have changed the Safari over the years at Animal Kingdom, but i don't remember that.

brerwolfe

There's a bridge and it shakes around and shit, but you're in a truck the entire time. At no point does it turn into a rapids ride.

Skunkers

No never been there, I could have swore there was a section the truck went down water. Was on it withint first year or two it opened.

IIRC there was a time when you got stuck on the bridge for some shaking/water effects on the Kilomanjaro Safari, but it was indeed the early version of Rhino Rally where the bridge came loose and you went down the river. I think both bridge scenes got axed due to a combination of reliability problems and decreased capacity (longer scene + reset time = less rider throughput).

I could be going senile, but I don't think I've had the bridge effect actually work on Kilimanjaro for years. The guide will make a comment about a rickety bridge, but nothing ever seems to happen anymore.

Suikoguy

That ride used to have a poacher side story to it, that was eliminated sometime in the last few years.

Could be a "yay or nay" thing based on the time of day, condition of the nearby animals, etc I suppose.

Very likely. It worked when I was there in June. Hopped about a foot off my seat since I was sitting in the back. I was waiting for it to happen again earlier this month and no dice.

aparisi2274

It worked for us when we were there in June.

Could be a "yay or nay" thing based on the time of day, condition of the nearby animals, etc I suppose.

Very likely. It worked when I was there in June. Hopped about a foot off my seat since I was sitting in the back. I was waiting for it to happen again earlier this month and no dice.

I was there in Oct, and when we went over the bridge, it did not shake, rattle or roll! The driver just made it out to be a very old rickety bridge and as we drove over it she was telling everyone to hold their breath and then she acted like she was so relieved when we crossed without issue...

It was about 12:15pm in the afternoon on a sunny day...

zeemumu

Okay, I've got a question for people who have a Disneyland annual pass. My friend wants to change the payment information on her card and reactivate it for one month. The monthly payment on her pass is $22 but there's a $90 down payment. If she changes card payment information will she have to pay the down payment again or just the monthly, and can she just activate it for one month then cancel it again?

Okay, I've got a question for people who have a Disneyland annual pass. My friend wants to change the payment information on her card and reactivate it for one month. The monthly payment on her pass is $22 but there's a $90 down payment. If she changes card payment information will she have to pay the down payment again or just the monthly, and can she just activate it for one month then cancel it again?

I don't think there's a down payment if you renew a pass before the expiration. Afterwards, even if you are still eligible for the renewal discount, you still have to pay the down payment. You can change your payment info at anytime. You have to be all in for the year. If your friend tries to cancel payments for subsequent months, she might get hit with penalty fees down the line when she tries activating the pass again or maybe even sooner than that.

Top Bottom