• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Im a big fan of Disney and Disney parks, but I really hope Universal starts to fuck with their profits and pie so they wake the fuck up. Competition is always a good thing.

Cant wait to go to orlando and visit all the parks. And yes, Universal is making that visitors from europe stay one more day at Universal now taking one day of Disney, thats what Im going to do when I go there, thats for sure.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
2013 numbers should tell an interesting story if the momentum is starting to shift.
The Harry Potter land was the best move by a theme-park in many years.

Edit: Disney's best bet is to pour some significant resources into remaking Hollywood Studios into a direct competitor to Universal.

Make a new groundbreaking coaster, an amazing Star Wars section and ride. Update or replace a couple older attractions.

Skunkers

Potter made Universal Orlando a household name next to Disney World. That reputation will do nothing but increase. Once Universal can fully complete in the resort share that WDW offers, they will be a fierce competitor, and with two more resorts being built, that point is coming soon. Since WWOHP, Uni has been doing things right when it comes to attractions.

Yep, that's exactly what I said.

lush

How's London looking Xtortionist? Apparently the Hogwarts express is being tested on the track already.

Universal is definitely trending upwards. Orlando has something in the Jurassic Park area planned soon as well along with a new ride in Seuss possibly. So much going on there.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
How's London looking Xtortionist?

Universal is definitely trending upwards. Orlando has something in the Jurassic Park area planned soon as well along with a new ride in Seuss possibly. So much going on there.

They need to replace the Pteranodon Flyers ride, I still can't believe that got greenlit.
Excerpt from the Unoffical Guide to Disney World said:
This is Islands of Adventure’s biggest blunder. Engineered to accommodate only 170 persons per hour—about
half the hourly capacity of Dumbo!—the ride dangles you on a swing below a track that passes over a small part of Jurassic Park. We recommend skipping this one. Why? Because the Jurassic period will probably end before you reach the front of the line! And your reward for all that waiting? A 1-minute-and-15-second ride.

Secondly, I hope they have something long term in the works to replace the Marvel section with, since they will eventually lose that license. This, to add to my previous post, is the strongest platform Disney has moving forward, they will probably squander it.

Right now Universal is rightly focused on Harry Potter.

lush

They need to replace the Pteranodon Flyers ride, I still can't believe that got greenlit.

I agree. Did manage to ride it once and it was a cool view. The kids area is pretty cool over there. Jurassic Park as a whole wastes a ton of space. Nothing was ever done with Triceratops Encounter. They'll do something over there soon, hopefully it's something Jurassic Park themed rather than whatever Kong rumors keep floating around.

How's London looking Xtortionist? Apparently the Hogwarts express is being tested on the track already.

The Grimmauld facade looks pretty close to finished and is fully exposed. IIRC there's still scaffolding in front of the rest so it's difficult to see. Totally blanked out and forgot to look over at the Hogwarts Express track when I was on Dragons; will try to look tomorrow.

Edit-train is definitely testing but I just haven't seen it personally. There's videos of it.

2013 numbers should tell an interesting story if the momentum is starting to shift.
The Harry Potter land was the best move by a theme-park in many years.

2013 numbers might be interesting for Universal in relation to WDW but I'm actually expecting California Adventure to overtake Island of Adventures in attendance for 2013 now that Carsland has been open for a full year. All of Disney's domestic parks could claim the top 6. With all of the additions to Universal in Orlando, though, that could be a short lived victory.

brerwolfe

I mentioned before Christmas that they were testing the Hogwarts Express-- said something about how I thought it was funny/lame that the train travels backwards when going from Hogsmeade to London.

aparisi2274

I mentioned before Christmas that they were testing the Hogwarts Express-- said something about how I thought it was funny/lame that the train travels backwards when going from Hogsmeade to London.

BcqpO1QIEAEbnDV.jpg

thefro

Secondly, I hope they have something long term in the works to replace the Marvel section with, since they will eventually lose that license. This, to add to my previous post, is the strongest platform Disney has moving forward, they will probably squander it.

My understanding is that the contract Universal has for the Marvel character theme park rights east of the Mississippi is pretty ironclad and they basically can keep the rights until Disney throws a ton of money at them to buy it out.

aparisi2274

Universal is never going to let that Marvel license go... Their contract is so iron clad that they can keep that property until the sun explodes, or Disney backs up thousands of dump trucks filled with millions of dollars to Universal's doorstep.

Saw the Hogwarts Express while riding Dragons today. It was stationary on the track.

Rediscovered the re-ride shortcut at Dragons also. Rode 3 times. Soooooo good

Also did some exploring at IoA this morning. While hanging out behind The Olive I saw a guy rowing a boat across the lagoon lol. He disappeared into some foliage to the right of the JP landing. Odd.

Suikoguy

My understanding is that the contract Universal has for the Marvel character theme park rights east of the Mississippi is pretty ironclad and they basically can keep the rights until Disney throws a ton of money at them to buy it out.

Universal is never going to let that Marvel license go... Their contract is so iron clad that they can keep that property until the sun explodes, or Disney backs up thousands of dump trucks filled with millions of dollars to Universal's doorstep.

Ah, I did not know about the contract details. Typically they have a sunset clause, but if they built a renew option properly into it, it may be very difficult for Disney to get out of.

I would say drop it and go for DC, but the Marvel brand has been handled better and more successfully. Secondly, Universal does not own DC, that's part of Warner Bros/Time Warner. If the projections about the hospitality industry pan out, and it continues to grow, then who knows, Time Warner may want to expand into a competitor in Theme Parks. That would put them in the same situation, again.

Linkified

Yep, and Universal will only let go of it unless they get something more popular to go in. There has been backdoor conversations when they first purchased Marvel to what they would need ... at this point the only thing that could be coming in would have to wait on other contracts expiring...

I doubt Universal will even consider selling off Marvel until Kong is done. MSHI is easily the second most popular land at IoA and closing it down for a significant period of time could be destructive to the park. Can't put all that extra load on Potter phase one.

Suikoguy

I doubt Universal will even consider selling off Marvel until Kong is done. MSHI is easily the second most popular land at IoA and closing it down for a significant period of time could be destructive to the park. Can't put all that extra load on Potter phase one.

This is a good point. The weakest section of the park (other then the laughable Pteranodon Flyers) is currently the Toon Lagoon section. Rip Saw Falls is a neat ride, especially when it's warm. But the other water ride, the Bilge Rat Barges is a checklist ride that they felt they had to have when they built the park.

Then you have the theming sections at Toon Lagoon, which are just boring. Kids are not interested in it, nobody was taking photos of it or with it. The quality is ok, it's just Sunday morning comics are yesterdays news. Therefore it's no surprise this was also the area with the least amount of traffic when I was there the week before Christmas. Perhaps utilize their properties at Dreamworks?

Suikoguy

In fairness, Bilge-Rat Barges is distinctive to me, insofar as it is by far and away the wettest I have ever got on a rubber dinghy rapids (bro).

Yah, I can see that. I think they spent quite a bit of time making it look like you won't get wet, but certainly will.

Also, in fairness, it's certainly quite popular when its 95 degrees out.

aparisi2274

This is a good point. The weakest section of the park (other then the laughable Pteranodon Flyers) is currently the Toon Lagoon section. Rip Saw Falls is a neat ride, especially when it's warm. But the other water ride, the Bilge Rat Barges is a checklist ride that they felt they had to have when they built the park.

Then you have the theming sections at Toon Lagoon, which are just boring. Kids are not interested in it, nobody was taking photos of it or with it. The quality is ok, it's just Sunday morning comics are yesterdays news. Therefore it's no surprise this was also the area with the least amount of traffic when I was there the week before Christmas. Perhaps utilize their properties at Dreamworks?

In fairness, Bilge-Rat Barges is distinctive to me, insofar as it is by far and away the wettest I have ever got on a rubber dinghy rapids (bro).

Yah, I can see that. I think they spent quite a bit of time making it look like you won't get wet, but certainly will.

Also, in fairness, it's certainly quite popular when its 95 degrees out.

I think I mentioned this a few pages back, but I could easily drop $20 on the water canons placed around Rip-Saw Falls and the Bilge-Rat Barges.

There is something so fun about watching a car full of people come around the turn after the big drop on Rip-Saw and seeing someone completely dry, and just blasting them with water while they gloat to their friends about being dry!

Suikoguy

Sinbad is a decent show. Poseidon, on the other hand, is just awful.

The tunnel of water is pretty amazing. Apparently it's quite a bitch to maintain, I was glad to see it working last time I was there. It was not a few years ago.

Someone earlier said they were planning on updating the projection tech, which should help a bit for the rest of the attraction.

aparisi2274

The tunnel of water is pretty amazing. Apparently it's quite a bitch to maintain, I was glad to see it working last time I was there. It was not a few years ago.

Someone earlier said they were planning on updating the projection tech, which should help a bit for the rest of the attraction.

I am pretty sure that that tunnel of water is never going to come back on line. I remember reading a lengthy thing about on Screamscape and Universal pretty much said it was done, sad really, cause that was the best part of that "show"

zeemumu

I feel like Lost Continent is the weakest section of the park, by far. It's wasted space. Looks nice, but there's nothing there.

They put too much stock into thinking that the Jurassic Park franchise could carry an entire section of the park since it pretty much does that in the Hollywood park. Maybe they planned for something of a larger scale but the budget kept them from doing it so they settled for what they could do. I feel like the Disney equivalent of it would be making an entire area based around Indiana Jones Adventure.

Welp, trip over. Last day was great though; got some nice TM reactions to my Dueling Dragons shirt :3

Didn't get on Mummy quite as much as I'd have liked. Half of the load station was down yesterday for quite some time and really slowed operations. Transformers was prolly the ride I went on most. Fucking amazing when you can get on it lol. It was in afternoon Softs last time I was there.

Springfield is amazing for food. Had the chicken and waffles, Krusty burger, and doughnut sundae at various points. Mmmmmmm

Hoping I can make it back in August for Potter phase 2. Wonder how far in advance I need to book for RPR.

Suikoguy

I am pretty sure that that tunnel of water is never going to come back on line. I remember reading a lengthy thing about on Screamscape and Universal pretty much said it was done, sad really, cause that was the best part of that "show"

It was online the second week of December.
Without it they should shut the attraction down.

They put too much stock into thinking that the Jurassic Park franchise could carry an entire section of the park since it pretty much does that in the Hollywood park. Maybe they planned for something of a larger scale but the budget kept them from doing it so they settled for what they could do. I feel like the Disney equivalent of it would be making an entire area based around Indiana Jones Adventure.

Jurassic park has the advantage that in the movie, it was an actual PARK. I think it just needs something new there, especially since the Dino encounter ride has been shutdown.

zeemumu

Jurassic park has the advantage that in the movie, it was an actual PARK. I think it just needs something new there, especially since the Dino encounter ride has been shutdown.

The difference is that the park int he movie isn't an amusement park, it's a zoo. If you think about it, the movie's Jurassic Park really only had two areas, a gift shop/museum/restaurant building, and the tour, which is basically all that Lost Continent has as well. If they want to make it more like the actual Jurassic Park, they would have to add some dinosaurs in the park outside of just the ride like the dino encounter had, but that would be incredibly expensive to build/maintain.

Branduil

Poseidon would be cool if it was just that tunnel of water. Too bad there's the rest of the show.

It was working last year around this time.

muteki

I can't stop laughing at this image for some reason.

It must be the Avatar (what are they called again lol) "I've made a huge mistake" face.

What a lineup. Where's Iger? This whole thing was his idea.

I think once all is said and done whatever comes of this will neat, and definitely be an improvement over what was there before, but the subject matter is still going to suck. Also by 20XX when this opens what will Universal be blowing our minds with down the road?

J-Roderton

Happiest places ever.

Went to Universal Islands Of Adventure last summer. Could not stay off the Hulk. Awesome time. JP was kinda lame, though. After that I hit up Carrowinds in NC for the Halloween themed thing they had. That was pretty great.

And now looks like I'll be going back to Busch Gardens, Williamsburg in April. I love that place. It was my first theme park and it'll be my third time going back. Anyone ever been on this thing?

The Griffon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-SVQCiv-FA

MXRider

Ah, I did not know about the contract details. Typically they have a sunset clause, but if they built a renew option properly into it, it may be very difficult for Disney to get out of.

I would say drop it and go for DC, but the Marvel brand has been handled better and more successfully. Secondly, Universal does not own DC, that's part of Warner Bros/Time Warner. If the projections about the hospitality industry pan out, and it continues to grow, then who knows, Time Warner may want to expand into a competitor in Theme Parks. That would put them in the same situation, again.
DC has licensed to Six Flags theme parks. Not sure it it's exclusive but I doubt it would become DC anyway because Comcast and Time Warner are rivals.

LuuKyK

What a lineup. Where's Iger? This whole thing was his idea.

I think once all is said and done whatever comes of this will neat, and definitely be an improvement over what was there before, but the subject matter is still going to suck. Also by 20XX when this opens what will Universal be blowing our minds with down the road?

Tbh I don't see the appeal of an Avatar area. It had a huge cinema audience, but I think big part of it was because of the beginning/good use of the 3D technologies and so on. Its not the kind of audience that will stick to the franchise because of its story/characters and give it a huge following. Which means its way less likely to move people to Disney than, say, the HP area that Universal invested on. I mean people will still visit it but not especifically for the Avatar area.

aparisi2274

Poseidon would be cool if it was just that tunnel of water. Too bad there's the rest of the show.

It was working last year around this time.

It was definitely off at one point... when I looked up the article on Screamscape and Theme Park Review, it was from the 2008-2009 season, so it was definitely off for a while, but I guess they brought it back online at some point...

But I do miss the original show, before it was revamped at some point...

aparisi2274

My problem with Disney has always been the lack of thrill rides... Yes, I know they cater toward the family, but hell a lot of families like to go on thrill rides, and not some ride through Winnie The Pooh's world.

You look at Universal, and they have:

Mummy
Hollywood Rip Rock-it and Ride
Hulk
Spiderman
Transformers
POtter Forbidden Journey
Dr. Doom
Dueling Dragons
Gringotts (coming soon)

Compare that to Disney:

Aerosmith
Tower of Terror
Dinosaur
Expedition Everest
Big Thunder Mtn Railroad
Seven Dwarfs Mine train (Coming soon)

So you have 9 Thrill rides across 2 parks Vs. 6 Thrill rides across 4 parks... That is not a good number for Disney. They really need to up the ante on rides...

I sure hope Avatar land brings some really good E-Ticket Attraction that will knock our socks off, but again, what will Universal have for us when Avatar opens??

So you have 9 Thrill rides across 2 parks Vs. 6 Thrill rides across 4 parks... That is not a good number for Disney. They really need to up the ante on rides...

I sure hope Avatar land brings some really good E-Ticket Attraction that will knock our socks off, but again, what will Universal have for us when Avatar opens??

I'dd add Splash, Space, and Test Track to the Disney list and JPRA and Dudley to Universal's.

Universal is still looking to outpace Disney in terms of thrills though. Pandora is only looking to have a 3D Soarin'-ride and what will probably be a tame flume ride. Meanwhile, the fast-paced, in-your-face thrilling dark ride as seen with Spidey, FJ, Mummy and Transformers has become Universal's bread and butter. I expect them to continue with this formula for the most part (Gringotts and Kong) while evolving the ride technologies.

My problem with Disney has always been the lack of thrill rides... Yes, I know they cater toward the family, but hell a lot of families like to go on thrill rides, and not some ride through Winnie The Pooh's world.

You look at Universal, and they have:

Mummy
Hollywood Rip Rock-it and Ride
Hulk
Spiderman
Transformers
POtter Forbidden Journey
Dr. Doom
Dueling Dragons
Gringotts (coming soon)

Compare that to Disney:

Aerosmith
Tower of Terror
Dinosaur
Expedition Everest
Big Thunder Mtn Railroad
Seven Dwarfs Mine train (Coming soon)

Eh, I wouldn't call Spiderman or Transformers thrills tbh. I think most would consider Splash and Space Mountain thrills before they think of simulation rides in general. When I was arriving for rope drop at Island of Adventure, some guy approached me trying to sell us his second day tickets because he and his girlfriend weren't dying to get back on motion simulators. For all the things that Universal is adding to their parks--as much as we'd like to believe otherwise--many are still going to go to Disney to find what they're looking for. They can attribute to their own growth but all the talk of chipping away at Disneys profits is a bit of a stretch IMO. They don't even come close to Disney's level of accessibility and efficiency, BUT Universals willingness to forgo that can lead to some great experiences that Disney wouldn't consider.

Hey guys, I'm new here and had a quick question.

There seems to be a lot of really interesting business politics and stuff at work in this industry (especially with Disney and Universal), but for the life of me I can't find any good news sites. Suggestions?

Tbh I don't see the appeal of an Avatar area. It had a huge cinema audience, but I think big part of it was because of the beginning/good use of the 3D technologies and so on. Its not the kind of audience that will stick to the franchise because of its story/characters and give it a huge following. Which means its way less likely to move people to Disney than, say, the HP area that Universal invested on. I mean people will still visit it but not especifically for the Avatar area.

The rides didn't sound anything special, if the early reports were on the ball. I just don't think its going to go over well myself.

LuuKyK

There seems to be a lot of really interesting business politics and stuff at work in this industry (especially with Disney and Universal), but for the life of me I can't find any good news sites. Suggestions?

I usually use ThemeParkReview forums for news, reports and trip reports of parks. The users there actually cover theme parks from all over the world. Its pretty useful. Its not a news site, so you have to dig a bit through the multitude of threads and pages, so it can be a lot of work sometimes (its still pretty easy to find threads for the most important parks/places though), but its quite interesting/useful.

Lots of forums, but Screamscape is good for news and rumor gathering.

Top Bottom