• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

aparisi2274

Pleasure Island as it used to be has been closed since 2008, and most of it is demolished.

Other than shopping and casual dining, there is nothing "night life" about the current state of DTD, maybe the bowling place and the movie theater excluded.

However, a friend recommended Jellyrolls at the Boardwalk, a dueling piano bar. 21 and up.

Jellyrolls is a lot fun, but I think it closes kind of early...

I made a reservation to the Epcot Wind Down at the Rose & Crown but I'll keep a close eye out for any impressions since the price is rather steep. I'm a bit skeptical since the Illuminations party turned out to be a huge waste. The thing is, I'll be staying club level at the Beach Club so that's really all the booze and hors d'oeuvres I'll ever need and that lasts until 10pm and I can enjoy the Boardwalk after that.

zeemumu

So Disneyland is doing that Maleficent preview thing in the Bug's Land theater in California Adventure on Friday right? I'm supposed to be heading to Wondercon that day and I wanted to stop by since I'm parking in the Toy Story parking lot across the street from the convention center anyway.

So Disneyland is doing that Maleficent preview thing in the Bug's Land theater in California Adventure on Friday right? I'm supposed to be heading to Wondercon that day and I wanted to stop by since I'm parking in the Toy Story parking lot across the street from the convention center anyway.

Yeah, and at Hollywood Studios. It's supposed to be showing daily for an undisclosed period of time. It's tough to be a bug has been down for a few weeks and is scheduled to reopen for the preview. I don't know if the preview is being shown all day. All of the previews that ever took place at Muppets 3D happened in the second half of the day.

zeemumu

I went to go see the maleficent preview in California adventure. It's about 5-10 minutes of the movie. One thing that they changed in the original story annoyed me but I'm glad that they used some of the effects from it's tough to be a bug during the showing.

AmusementBuzz on Twitter posted a pic of Hogsmeade Station at IoA. The scaffolding was removed today.

Bl7pl9LIcAA_mIy.jpg:large

Rumored opening date is around June 20th IIRC. Anyone going to be there this summer? Mid August is looking likely for me.

Nelo Ice

Banned
AmusementBuzz on Twitter posted a pic of Hogsmeade Station at IoA. The scaffolding was removed today.

Rumored opening date is around June 20th IIRC. Anyone going to be there this summer? Mid August is looking likely for me.
I'll be doing the Disney College Program so I'm going to try to go to Universal at least once in the 5 months I'm there. Would like to go multiple times though espcially with Horror Nights happening while I'm there.

SmithnCo

Sweet, I was there on Sunday and saw it with the scaffolding. Probably gonna try to get in on Diagon a week or so after opening.

Yep, Fastpass will do that. I checked availability just now. Seems like it's booked up as far as 60 days out which is the farthest you can book FP+ if you're staying on site. There were reports that Disney increased FP capacity for A&E the day they moved to Magic Kingdom so I grabbed one for June 3rd as a placeholder for Dwarfs if it happens to be open by then. I thought they would be relatively easy to get now but I guess not!

Holy shit.

If they had any sense they'd be building Arendelle right now. Imagine the $60 Breakfast Lunch and Dinner ala Cinderella. If you thought Be Our Guest was popular...

Last update I saw for the Six Flags Georgia waterpark expansion a few weeks back looked like it wasn't even near halfway finished. I don't see how it will be finished by summer.

So, it seems that this happened...

BmJrD_aIYAAxyfv.jpg:large

Moving the two of them to Magic Kingdom is one of the best things they've done in ages.

You all know MK is small, especially compared to the other parks. Haven't such a gigantic queue for the ladies of Arendelle keeps those guests out of other attractions and makes things slightly more comfy for all of us.

It'd be nice if they were still at Epcot as well, but I prefer this.

It'd be nice if they were still at Epcot as well, but I prefer this.

I don't know. Epcot is a nightmare with only Soarin and Test Track to soak up crowds. It really needs all the capacity it can get.

That said, those two rides don't nearly stack up to MK's heavy hitters. I would definitely take shorter waits for Splash/Big Thunder/Space, if only because I'd never go to Epcot anyway. Just sucks for the people that do...dem 2+ hour Soarin waits.

zeemumu

The Frozen wait is usually around a few hours here as well. I guess I have that to thank for redirecting traffic while half of the rides shut down for renovation.

I don't know. Epcot is a nightmare with only Soarin and Test Track to soak up crowds. It really needs all the capacity it can get.

That said, those two rides don't nearly stack up to MK's heavy hitters. I would definitely take shorter waits for Splash/Big Thunder/Space, if only because I'd never go to Epcot anyway. Just sucks for the people that do...dem 2+ hour Soarin waits.

Soarin typically has always been at least that long during peak times. Hell, not even during peak times. lol

Epcot really needs a new attraction. The "New" Test Track doesn't even count. I miss the old version anyway.

zeemumu

I think the studio tour at Universal Studios Hollywood could be a little better, especially since it's their star attraction. They removed a few of the events and it feels a little empty.

Mine train set to open May 28th. I was starting to worry they wouldn't open during my trip but I managed to grab fast passes for three of the days I'll be there.

zeemumu

Mine train set to open May 28th. I was starting to worry they wouldn't open during my trip but I managed to grab fast passes for three of the days I'll be there.

How's that new fastpass + system working out so far? They've implemented it already, right? If it goes well over there it won't be long before we see it in the park over here.

How's that new fastpass + system working out so far? They've implemented it already, right? If it goes well over there it won't be long before we see it in the park over here.

My first experience with it was last December and it worked well. I think the system caters to my group because at WDW we like to make dining reservations, see shows, park/resort hop, etc. We don't set out to repeat headliners like we do at DLR but we still manage to get a lot done. I hate staying in one park all day so FP+ makes it easier to actually do big attractions in the second park of the day. I'm okay with the 3 FP limit but the tiers in Epcot and DHS suck. I don't bother with Soarin' though because I experience that enough times at DCA. I need to do Toy Story as many times as I can though lol.

They just added the ability to book a 4th FP once all three are used up and a 5th after the 4th and so on. It's not much use to me because I like to book nighttime FP and you'd run the risk of certain attractions running out of FP allotment before you have a chance to book 4th even earlier on in the day for all parks not Magic Kingdom. I hear they may implement a "rolling 3" system that lets you book a new FP after each one you use which would be neat.

I can see the RFID and biometric tech being implemented at DLR. I don't think FP+ is necessary but I also see the FP allotment per guest being much higher at DLR if they do bring it over. They'd have to have different rules all together since there's only three Disney resorts and large amounts of local traffic per day. Overall it's much more dense at DLR and it's easy to get more done in less time already.

Any news on a possible Middle Earth theme park/themed area?

It won't EVER happen. The Tolkien estate owns the rights for theme parks. Christopher Tolkien owns the estate. He unfortunaely is a bitter old man with a "childhood ruined" complex about Jackson's interpretations of the film.

It's a good ride. The problems are that it's grossly over budget (from what I've heard), overhyped, and took way too fucking long to build. But it is a good ride in the end. Final animatronic is neat. A solid D ticket.

I'm surprised no one has posted footage of the Mine Train yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A4vjeYLcXw

Thoughts?

It's quite short (not as short as I was expecting though), but I think it looks like a fun little ride and it seems to fit nicely with New Fantasyland.

The dwarf part is pretty amazing, same when you go up the final hill with the shadows. And the house part was a great surprise.
It says in the video description that the ride swings pretty great when the train is full and goes much faster.
I think is a pretty nice little coaster.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It won't EVER happen. The Tolkien estate owns the rights for theme parks. Christopher Tolkien owns the estate. He unfortunaely is a bitter old man with a "childhood ruined" complex about Jackson's interpretations of the film.
Someone should put him in front of the Ralph Bakshi version of The Hobbit....

zeemumu

That mine cave with the dwarves looks amazing and the part with the queen at the end was a nice addition. I've been reading up on possible plans to modify all of the old Fantasyland rides with more recent technology.

aparisi2274

I'm surprised no one has posted footage of the Mine Train yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A4vjeYLcXw

Thoughts?

It's quite short (not as short as I was expecting though), but I think it looks like a fun little ride and it seems to fit nicely with New Fantasyland.

I had watched the POV that the DIsney Parks blog put out last week, and they certainly cut out a lot of the ride in post, so this full ride POV was quite nice...

I think kids will love it.

brerwolfe

I'm glad I saw it here instead of in person. That looks disappointing as shit to me.

We let our Disney passes expire and went back to Universal annual passes, it felt like going home. Disney just doesn't do it for me, unfortunately.

brerwolfe

Rumored opening date is around June 20th IIRC. Anyone going to be there this summer?

There's allegedly going to be an employee preview near the end of May, hoping I'm in town for that. Local news copter flew over last week and posted a photo, looks like they're working on the base for the dragon at the moment.

As for opening date, I was told internally that they're aiming for the anniversary date for WWoHP. I guess we'll see.

I'm glad I saw it here instead of in person. That looks disappointing as shit to me.

We let our Disney passes expire and went back to Universal annual passes, it felt like going home. Disney just doesn't do it for me, unfortunately.

I'm not sure what you were expecting. It's a Fantasyland coaster with AA and a smaller footprint than Thunder.

aparisi2274

I agree about watching the video. I would have been severely disappointed if I had waited in a line longer than 45min for this ride. It's a bunch of ups and downs and one cool payoff scene.

I'm still not sure why this took over 3yrs to complete....

SmithnCo

I agree about watching the video. I would have been severely disappointed if I had waited in a line longer than 45min for this ride. It's a bunch of ups and downs and one cool payoff scene.

I'm still not sure why this took over 3yrs to complete....

Gotta get all that detail on those rocks.

(The theming looks great but c'mon Disney)

LuuKyK

Typical Disney hyping and overcooking things that aren't worthy.

I mean, its a really well done coaster and everything but come on...

Wait that took three years? Oh my God.

Cars Land took like 4 and a half years.

Also, the construction time for Diagon Alley will end up being a bit over two years, and that includes construction in both parks for Hogwarts Express and the most advanced themed attraction on the planet with Gringotts. "Ambition is Universal(TM)"

I can somewhat forgive Cars Land for its ridiculous rock work but Seven Dwarves Mine Train is a fucking joke. I mean, again, its a good ride, but the circumstances surrounding it are mindboggling.

In better news, I got my August trip to Universal Orlando set! Booked two nights at Royal Pacific on a Sunday-Monday. I'll probably add the night before at Cabana Bay just to check it out, and will maybe end up tacking on another night at RPR if they open up an annual pass rate room. So hyped!

edit - This is totally unrelated but I recently came across a 2012 GDC talk from a game designer-turned-Imagineer about similarities between video game level design and the design of Disneyland. Since I figure most of us in here are fans of gaming and theme parks, it seems like something worth mentioning. Fun talk.

Same with the Ratatouille ride at paris.

I dont know what going on with disney imagineering compared to universal, but they are slow as hell.
Were is that company that build a whole park in a year and a day during 1955?

muteki

Same with the Ratatouille ride at paris.

I dont know what going on with disney imagineering compared to universal, but they are slow as hell.
Were is that company that build a whole park in a year and a day during 1955?

It has little to do with imagineering and more to do with money. Disney (the business side, not imagineering) gets to pay less if they give the construction company (not Disney) more time to complete the job. Also, they get to stretch the costs out in smaller amounts over more quarters which makes the investors happy.

They could build Cars Land/Mine Train in a year if they wanted to, but they aren't willing to pay for it.

Universal, in general, is. The market share is theirs to grab right now, so might as well go all in and grab what you can.

aparisi2274

You would think that with all the various constructions jobs within Disney, and the fact that Uni Orlando is building things at a rate of 2:1, they would want to start up Disney Construction, and keep it all in house, and save some money, but get shit built faster.

Top Bottom