• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

muteki

You would think that with all the various constructions jobs within Disney, and the fact that Uni Orlando is building things at a rate of 2:1, they would want to start up Disney Construction, and keep it all in house, and save some money, but get shit built faster.

Building it faster is going to cost more, whether "Disney Construction" does it or someone like Hoar. Obviously it has to be perceived as cheaper today or Disney wouldn't be outsourcing to begin with.

It's really strange. Disney has the tendency to ramp up construction slowly then build the bulk of their projects very quickly towards the end. At least that was the impression I got for the mine train and Carsland. They're definitely slow, though. The reconstruction of the castle hub is expected to take well over a year.

I still disagree with the staggered release of NFL because all of the new stuff would have seemed more impressive had it opened at the same time. They rebuilt and opened DCA's main street along side Carsland and it felt so much more substantial.

overcast

Well I mentioned Cars Land as a contrast to the Mine Cart. Makes sense why it took 4 and a half years. It was that plus Buena Vista too. So, a lot of work was done.

It has little to do with imagineering and more to do with money. Disney (the business side, not imagineering) gets to pay less if they give the construction company (not Disney) more time to complete the job. Also, they get to stretch the costs out in smaller amounts over more quarters which makes the investors happy.

They could build Cars Land/Mine Train in a year if they wanted to, but they aren't willing to pay for it.

Universal, in general, is. The market share is theirs to grab right now, so might as well go all in and grab what you can.

Yeah, I supposed is more about money than the imagineers themeselves. The problem is, wouldn't this be a problem in the future if universal starts to fuck up with their visitors?

zeemumu

Are they actually doing anything with the renovation of Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye or is it just a cleanup? It's desperately in need of a cleanup because the ride is never fully functioning but I wouldn't mind it if they updated some of the other effects so the updated Mara face doesn't looks so out of place.

brerwolfe

The problem is, wouldn't this be a problem in the future if universal starts to fuck up with their visitors?
Universal has a LONG way to go before any fear of visitor disruption. The attendance for Universal parks isn't even in the conversation when it comes to the numbers Disney parks pull in.

brerwolfe

C81LJdv.png

thefro

Universal has a LONG way to go before any fear of visitor disruption. The attendance for Universal parks isn't even in the conversation when it comes to the numbers Disney parks pull in.

The issue there is Universal drawing more people to Orlando helps Disney to some extent as well. People may come for the new Harry Potter stuff but they're still going to have other vacation days to spend since you can't spend a whole week at Universal parks.

Although I think the Hogwarts Express adding a lot of visitors double-counting for both parks in the same day could potentially make up a lot of the gap.

brerwolfe

We're still talking about a difference of 34+ million people across all four Orlando Disney parks vs IOA and USF. Making up "a lot of the gap" isn't a factor from where Disney is sitting.

Yeah yeah i know, all at small steps. I still hope something awakes them ASAP and they enter the competition again.

aparisi2274

yeah, but do we know for certain that that was actually the queue for the Gringotts bank in Orlando? What if it was the actual movie set and they had Al Roker walk through it...

They've begun tearing down the fountain at the Polynesian Grand Ceremonial House today. Walls are going up all around the second floor balcony.

Well then, that is some detailed ass theme-ing.

I wonder if that is closer to the loading station for the ride, since the bank vaults are right past that section...

The main hall is near the beginning. The queue is pretty long and intricate. Guests will eventually take faux-elevators "underground" to the loading station. Basically, the actual ride takes place in the deep vault area. The regular vaults past the marble hall will be part of the queue.

aparisi2274

The main hall is near the beginning. The queue is pretty long and intricate. Guests will eventually take faux-elevators "underground" to the loading station. Basically, the actual ride takes place in the deep vault area. The regular vaults past the marble hall will be part of the queue.

Man, If I have any free time come October, I might go down for an extended weekend, just to check this ride out!

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I can not remember... are the ride vehicles going to be the Kukla robotic arm vehicles, like Forbidden Journey? Or are they going to be something more traditional?

Man, If I have any free time come October, I might go down for an extended weekend, just to check this ride out!

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I can not remember... are the ride vehicles going to be the Kukla robotic arm vehicles, like Forbidden Journey? Or are they going to be something more traditional?

It's a coaster ride system. The vehicles are basically tandem Mummy-ish cars (same manufacturer for both vehicles IIRC - Premier Rides) with stadium seating and modified restraints to accommodate larger guests. Here's an image Theme Park Insider leaked a while back:

potter-usf-car-front.jpg

yeah, but do we know for certain that that was actually the queue for the Gringotts bank in Orlando? What if it was the actual movie set and they had Al Roker walk through it...

Its the ride queue, the Goblins are animatronics, because one of them moves the head. If that was a set, there would be no figures and they will not move.

Damn, those are some lifelike AA's. This attraction really is going to be balls out crazy...

I was listening to the Parkscope podcast (highly recommended) earlier and one of the hosts said they got info from an insider claiming that the goblin AAs are by far the weakest AAs in the whole attraction (queue+ride). Pretty crazy considering how good they are.

Man, Gringotts is going to melt faces.

aparisi2274

I was listening to the Parkscope podcast (highly recommended) earlier and one of the hosts said they got info from an insider claiming that the goblin AAs are by far the weakest AAs in the whole attraction (queue+ride). Pretty crazy considering how good they are.

giphy.gif

If that is true, I may need to wear a diaper when I finally get on that ride.

Nelo Ice

Banned

Damn sounds like Universal is going to absoltely shit on Disney with this ride and whole new land. So glad I'll be in Orlando by the time this opens.

SmithnCo

Damn, gonna be good.

brerwolfe

Is anyone here local to Orlando or work at the park? Just curious.

I may have said it previously, I'm a freelance camera operator working mainly (this year) with the PGA Tour. I live in Orlando, and when I happen to be home I work at Blue Man Group at Universal.

Haven't had a lot of free time to walk around the park lately, but I'm planning on walking through tomorrow and taking some photos before work.

I don't think I'll be in town for the grand opening, unfortunately, but hopefully I'll be able to get in on the employee preview.

zeemumu

in Cali? I think they are just building Hogwarts over there... I mean that park barely has any room as it is... and you want Diagon Alley as well? :)

All they have to do is build a magic portal in between the studio tour and the simpsons ride. Then they'll have more room than they could ever want.

Some new videos from Universal Orlando. First shows more of the Gringotts main hall, second shows Hogwarts Express stuff with some early (according to reports) footage of the ride film.

http://youtu.be/1tz4xNRRR4M

http://youtu.be/9rzNzHat33Y

Main goblin in Gringotts looks amazeballs

This is aboslutely freaking amazing.
What universal has done with harry potter is totally nuts, Rowling must be proud.
Avatar experience is going to be pretty shitty compared to this, only becuase of the what the idea brings to the table, I dont know what Disney was thinking.

LuuKyK

Some new videos from Universal Orlando. First shows more of the Gringotts main hall, second shows Hogwarts Express stuff with some early (according to reports) footage of the ride film.

http://youtu.be/1tz4xNRRR4M

http://youtu.be/9rzNzHat33Y

Main goblin in Gringotts looks amazeballs

Incredible. The image quality and details in that train ride are going to be incredible considering the field of view and immersion they promised.

Top Bottom