• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

brerwolfe

Went to Universal last night to watch The Roots perform and the Rockit rollercoaster got stuck in the loop..

20140517_210204zesqp.gif

Disneyland could break the $100 barrier if they wanted too. They have virtually no competition in SoCal, Universal Hollywood isn't even comparable.

overcast

No but it's the one that my friend had. Is there any reason why they decided to boot this one and not SoCal select?
Probably to keep Saturday's and Sunday's realistically less crowded? I have the select, this means Friday's will just be crazier I believe.

No but it's the one that my friend had. Is there any reason why they decided to boot this one and not SoCal select?

If you already have one or had one within the last three months they will still let you renew, at least. Disney is getting busier and busier, there's no doubt about that.

Here's another shot courtesy of the Orlando United forum that provides a bit of scale:

BoblqMICIAABPda.jpg:large

This thing is IMMENSE.

A few days ago, Seth Kubersky of Touring Plans suggested that softs may be happening around June 7th. If we have any locals in here, you guys might want to head over around that time.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So, we got The Linq here in Las Vegas that just opened recently.

The main attraction is The High Roller, a giant "observation wheel". You can even purchase alcoholic beverages and take them with you on the ride!

Shining bright on the Las Vegas Strip, the 550-foot-tall High Roller is the world's largest observation wheel.

This stunning Las Vegas attraction provides tourists and locals alike the ride of a lifetime. The epic wheel is the crown jewel of The LINQ, the Strip's all-new outdoor shopping, dining and entertainment district. The High Roller has 28 spherical, Italian-handcrafted glass-enclosed cabins, each weighing 44,000 pounds. Passengers can enjoy breathtaking Las Vegas views in a 30-minute ride, the time it takes for the entire wheel to rotate. Additionally, there are two booths per cabin.

Each stylish, modern-styled cabin holds up to 40 people, totaling 1,120 at full capacity. Whether renting out a cabin for wedding, private party or flying solo, each 44,000-pound pod features dynamic music and video shows as riders take in the 360-degree sights. There's also an adjacent wheelhouse where guests can reserve private parties and banquets.

aE3m1WY.jpg

afRX3g5.jpg

t09Jgvl.jpg

2TOsdX1.jpg

The main attraction is The High Roller, a giant "observation wheel". You can even purchase alcoholic beverages and take them with you on the ride!

aE3m1WY.jpg

afRX3g5.jpg

t09Jgvl.jpg

2TOsdX1.jpg

I went into one of this giant observation wheels some months ago, although the one I went was a lot smaller (the biggest tranportable one), you could still see all of my city and beyond, beautiful spectacle.
It even had AC, that was great because it would probably be too hot if not.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I was in Vegas last month when the High Roller just opened and couldn't find the time to try it :(. Will have to go at night next time.

Just arrived in Orlando for 8 nights at Disney. Would have really liked to postpone for Daigon Alley but it didn't work out. I'll probably aim for first half of Dec for that.

Jag

Interesting article on how "that Potter boy" turned Florida's economy around. He really is a Wizard!

That’s the long version of Florida’s recovery. Here’s the short one, a refrain repeated by everyone from multimillionaires like Mr. Rosen to security guards at Universal: Harry Potter did it.

“What happened was Harry Potter — there’s no doubt about it,” said Anthony Crocco, Central Florida regional director of Metrostudy, a new-home industry consulting firm.

Statewide, leisure and hospitality jobs are up 16 percent, for an additional 149,300, since the Wizarding World of Harry Potter opened, almost double the rate of job growth generally. Leisure and hospitality companies have added 54,500 workers in the last year, including 14,800 in Orlando. Universal alone plans to add 3,500 local jobs this year, according to John Sprouls, chief administrative officer of Universal Parks and Resorts Orlando.

muteki

I've never understood the appeal of these ferris wheels that keep popping up everywhere. At least Vegas has a skyline but to have one in Orlando or Myrtle Beach is just silly.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I've never understood the appeal of these ferris wheels that keep popping up everywhere. At least Vegas has a skyline but to have one in Orlando or Myrtle Beach is just silly.
You can also get drunk and married on this one.

aparisi2274

NYC is building the worlds largest Wheel on the North end of Staten Island, so it will overlook all of the NYC skyline:

The New York Wheel promises to become one of the City’s–and the world’s–great landmark attractions, alongside the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building. Located on the northeastern side of Staten Island (St. George), the 630-foot, or roughly 60-story, attraction will be the tallest observation wheel in the world and the only one in New York City.

The Wheel will accommodate up to 1,440 people per ride, welcoming as many as 30,000 visitors per day and an anticipated 4+ million visitors per year.

The New York Wheel will be open 7 days a week, approximately 350 days per year (accounting for severe weather days and maintenance) from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m./12 a.m. in the fall, winter and spring, and staying open as late as 2 a.m. on special occasions.

NYC-wheel-rendering.jpg

Jag

The view is still better from the Brooklyn Promenade. Hopefully it will be able to withstand Hurricane Sandy level storms.

Just rode the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. It's short like we all knew. I walked in the FP+ line, rode it, and walked out in 8 minutes. The animatronics are amazing. The projected expressions aren't really noticeable in person and they all animate beautifully. They're the real reason to do this attraction which puts it in line with Fantasyland expectations. The track is obviously designed to accentuate the swinging carts but it's more noticeable when the train is going straight and swinging after a turn. It's subtle. I would put this just a little above other Fantasyland rides but it's not as comparable to Thunder like I thought.

aparisi2274

Just rode the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. It's short like we all knew. I walked in the FP+ line, rode it, and walked out in 8 minutes. The animatronics are amazing. The projected expressions aren't really noticeable in person and they all animate beautifully. They're the real reason to do this attraction which puts it in line with Fantasyland expectations. The track is obviously designed to accentuate the swinging carts but it's more noticeable when the train is going straight and swinging after a turn. It's subtle. I would put this just a little above other Fantasyland rides but it's not as comparable to Thunder like I thought.

I am pretty sure everyone was expecting it to be more of a kiddie ride, than a jr version of Thunder.

I just wonder if this one ride can push New Fantasyland to the forefront and bring in massive foot traffic to this new area...

If I go down to Uni Orlando in Oct for Diagon Alley, I might head over to WDW to check it out.

muteki

I am pretty sure everyone was expecting it to be more of a kiddie ride, than a jr version of Thunder.

I just wonder if this one ride can push New Fantasyland to the forefront and bring in massive foot traffic to this new area...

If I go down to Uni Orlando in Oct for Diagon Alley, I might head over to WDW to check it out.

That is what Disney is planning on. If they can attract a % of the horde down for Diagon over to MK for a day that is a ton of money they wouldn't be making otherwise.

aparisi2274

Six Flags Great Adventure new Coaster (RUMOR)

Got this off Screamscape.com:

The early buzz for Six Flags Great Adventure is that the park may tap Rocky Mountain Construction to build another custom crazy creation like Goliath that will soon open at SF Great America, but bigger and meaner. The only clue as to the location is that our sources says that they would like for it to try and dive underground, traveling under 'the lake' at some point. If this is true, then look for this new coaster to go in the back of the park, perhaps near the old water-ski stands, or possibly over where the log ride sits. This also makes sense as the backside of the park could use a new major attraction, as almost every other new addition for the last several years has been placed either up front near the entrance (Superman, Green Lantern, Sky Screamer) or in the nearby north-east corner where we can now find Kingda Ka, Zumanjaro and El Toro. Off the top of my head the only new addition in the last decade to go elsewhere would be The Dark Knight indoor mouse coaster on the dead western side of the park where The Chiller used to be.

I hope this is true!!!

lush

Diagon Alley looks amazing. I'll be heading down for HHN, hopefully it's not too insanely packed like it's going to be next month. I know it took a good while for the phase one to die down a little bit from the insanity at the beginning. Can't wait to see what's next from Universal Orlando. Have to figure they'll finally utilize the Jurassic Park area whether it be for Jurassic World or the rumored King Kong attraction.

Jonm1010

Banned
I don't know the topography of Orlando but at this point the state of Florida should claim imminent domain to the most reasonable surrounding area to Universal Studios and then just give it to them.

Hell give them part of Disney world's if they have to, they certainly aren't doing anything with it. Universal is far and away the most exciting and interesting place when it comes to developing new experiences.

I was blown away by how much better it was from my last visit and how fresh it felt compared to the slog at Disney World.

I know it's not possible but I do wish Universal Orlando had more land simply because I want to see what they would do with it.

Jag

I know it's not possible but I do wish Universal Orlando had more land simply because I want to see what they would do with it.

It really does look small if you look at the place on Google Maps. You can actually see Diagon Alley under construction too.

Be warned though. Looking at Disney and Universal on Google Maps really does sap some of the 'magic'.

LuuKyK

You said you literally couldn't wait and I'm saying you literally have no choice BUT to wait

Oh. lol

Yeah, well, by that I just meant that I am really excited to go there, thats all. I am aware that I will have to wait. ;-; I already have a trip planned by February or so though, so yeah, not thaaat far, and I am sure it will be worth it.

Top Bottom