• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Gringotts dragon without scrims (courtesy Orlando United)

pRXQQ5Dl.jpg

The dome under the dragon began installation today. Softs are still rumored for the 14th, IIRC.

My trip has been moved up to June 28th. Staying three nights at Royal Pacific. I'm expecting madness...hopefully I can come out alive...

It's a rumor, probably true but not likely to happen for another 5 years or so. American Idol Experience as well.

I'm okay with it. I've seen the show and don't need to again. The park needs rides like nobody's business.

aparisi2274

It's a rumor, probably true but not likely to happen for another 5 years or so. American Idol Experience as well.

I'm okay with it. I've seen the show and don't need to again. The park needs rides like nobody's business.

AI is set to close the end of January 2015.

So the Disney is supposedly getting rid of the Indiana Jones stunt show at Hollywood Studios?
='(

Indy is just a rumor right now, but if they do close it, the frontrunner for a replacement is the long rumored Star Wars land, which I am perfectly OK with!

SmithnCo

Yeah, I'm all for getting rid of a stage show if it means that a new "land" replaces it.

Sucks that it would get rid of most of Indy's presence in World though.

Seeing as an early estimate for Avatarland is 2017, I can't imagine that an effectively unannounced Star Wars Land would be completed anytime before 2020.

Nice pictures!

I found it hard to take decent pictures at DL or DCA last month. Way too many people, awful vantage points, and nothing really photogenic.

Cedar Point ended up on my list of things to do last week. Totally a fun visit with little to no people. I'm fatigued of Cedar Point. I'd still rather go to Kennywood or Holiday World. Here's a few pictures from my visit last week.

PqM86nH.jpg

I love the photogenic qualities of the ride. I just wish it was faster, did a bit more after the MCBR, and wasn't so boring.

EDoqbqm.jpg

Not a fan of the ride but it takes pretty pictures.

LaC6xDL.jpg

Didn't quite time it perfectly but I'll take what I can get.

I've got a trip to Kings Island and Holiday World planned in the near future. I'll post some pictures from those ones when I can.

Hammer24

Banned
Next Live video preview for Harry Potter will be:
THE RED CARPET EVENT
WEDNESDAY JUNE 18, 8PM-9PM EST
Watch the stars of the Harry Potter™ films and other special guests arrive on the red carpet and see their first reactions to Diagon Alley™.

Link

LuuKyK

Exciting! Can't wait. I still find it so incredible how big of a franchise HP is. After all this time still making so much money. Really an amazing accomplishment. Totally deserved though.

zeemumu

I'm still upset that they closed doc brown's chicken at Universal Studios. Anyone know what they're building up there? It's supposed to be Springfield, right?

aparisi2274

Screamscape is at the Diagon Alley Press event and Universal just confirmed that Diagon Alley will officially open on July 8th.

They also said that on the Escape from Gringotts ride, you'll encounter giant trolls, fire breathing dragons, Voldamort, and other suprises...

He says that as fantastic as the detail was in Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley takes it up to a whole new level.

The dragon looks so good. The glimpse of Diagon in the Tonight Show's opening the other day was nice too. I think it will look especially good at night, the London facade included.

Edit: hnnnng

Ok thats just fabolous, just like enetering the books/movies. As a fan its all what I wanted and more.
When i was smaller while reading the books I drew a theme park only about harry potter. Good times.

SmithnCo

I'm thinking of going on opening but just riding everything in Islands since there may not be much of a line over there with the Diagon craziness going on. That might backfire but at least I can see the craziness firsthand.

aparisi2274

I'm thinking of going on opening but just riding everything in Islands since there may not be much of a line over there with the Diagon craziness going on. That might backfire but at least I can see the craziness firsthand.

Do you honestly think that Hogsmeade/Hogwarts is going to be empty, because everyone will be over at London? NOOOOO WAY!!

Everyone will be taking the hogwarts express and just making it a truly immersive HP experience. Both of the potter lands are going to be at capacity...

SmithnCo

Do you honestly think that Hogsmeade/Hogwarts is going to be empty, because everyone will be over at London? NOOOOO WAY!!

Everyone will be taking the hogwarts express and just making it a truly immersive HP experience. Both of the potter lands are going to be at capacity...

Yeah, that's why I think it will backfire, lol

But I mostly want to see the insane line like when the first Potter land opened

brerwolfe

I'm happy because colleagues (working in the Universal Events dept) were speculating it would be open this Friday. Bummed me out because I'm out of town for work. With it opening the day after I return home from another out-of-state job, I think I'll probably go to the grand opening so I can take some photos.

Hopefully I can get over there shortly thereafter and take some nighttime photos when no one is there. Wondering if security will be difficult even with an employee badge.

I'm happy because colleagues (working in the Universal Events dept) were speculating it would be open this Friday. Bummed me out because I'm out of town for work. With it opening the day after I return home from another out-of-state job, I think I'll probably go to the grand opening so I can take some photos.

For softs or grand opening? I wouldn't be surprised if softs start this weekend.

LuuKyK

The dragon looks so good. The glimpse of Diagon in the Tonight Show's opening the other day was nice too. I think it will look especially good at night, the London facade included.

Edit: hnnnng

what the fuck

Thats so perfect! It looks exactly like the movies/books. Praise our universal gods.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Please tell me there is a back-up of that stream somewhere. I missed it. :(

It's still going on!. I had to switch my timezone to est to start it.

edit:and now it's over :(. Wow at that entrance. I am foaming at the mouth right now, I have to go to Universal Orlando omfg.

Unfortunately the ride was E-stopped. On the bright side, here's an amazing pic of the interior with the lights on. It's immense! Slight spoilers, I guess. @MiceChat

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqdaoB5IIAA599b.jpg:large

edit -
Theme Park Insider ‏@ThemePark 3m
Broke down on first attempt. The second? Wow. Even better than Forbidden Journey. #gringotts

screamscape ‏@screamscape 3s
Amazing ride experience, unique and unexpected movement and effects

lol, no wonder it was taking a while to get impressions. Dem rocks.

Edit: Woah now, better than FJ? Those are strong words.

We have some more critical thoughts:

Seth Kubersky ‏@skubersky 18s
Gringotts was very good, not perfect. Video in Transformers is sharper & zero animatronics on ride. Need to process, but I like FJ better.

Curious about the sharpness. I recall reading that each screen in Gringotts would have an astronomical number of projectors to maximize brightness and clarity.

brerwolfe

FJ didn't have a great first impression with me. I enjoyed it much more on my 3rd and 4th sitting. It felt campy the first time, like a carnival ride.

I love it now and seem to notice something new each time. I love the touch of seeing your face in the smoke when the dementor attempts the kiss of death.

To be fair, it's a family ride. The small bursts of kinetic motion should help to differentiate it between Spidey/TF.

Fair enough. I guess i was hoping for Mummy 2.0, but the ride still sounds solid overall. Won't know for sure until someone does a full write-up/video happens to see exactly what we are getting though.

brerwolfe

This is one I'm definitely gonna pass on when it comes to video and reviews. I want it to be fresh when I finally get the chance to go on.

SmithnCo

This is one I'm definitely gonna pass on when it comes to video and reviews. I want it to be fresh when I finally get the chance to go on.

Yeah, definitely not watching a video, feel like I've seen too much already. Same with video of the interiors of shops.

I want reviews of the ice cream flavors though so I know which to try.

aparisi2274

Same here. It was so hard for me not to watch POV videos of FJ! I think I might have actually started to watch one, and then immediately closed it.

When I finally did ride, I was so happy I never watched the video.

zeemumu

Same here. It was so hard for me not to watch POV videos of FJ! I think I might have actually started to watch one, and then immediately closed it.

When I finally did ride, I was so happy I never watched the video.

They were all too dark for me to see anything. I saw a POV of part of the ride with the lights on but the experience is far different when the ride is in full working order.

Top Bottom