• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

So went to Epcot for the 2 hours before closing and caught Illuminations. Cool show though of course I compared it to World of Color and of course Color won out. Still totally biased to my home park lol.

Reflections of Earth has the shore fireworks that shoot out to the center of the lagoon. Stand by one of the launchers and you'll totally prefer EPCOT's show.

Plowed through Universal with Nelo Ice today. Crowds in general were very light. Ride list:

Spider-Man - posted 45 minutes, felt shorter
Hulk - Posted 15, felt like 10
Forbidden Journey - Posted 30, felt shorter, walked straight to almost the end of the greenhouse
Dragon Challenge (both sides) - 10 min each

GODDAMN FIRE'S CAMELBACK IS GODDAMN AMAZING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TRAIN HOLD ON FOR YOUR LIFE FUCK

*ahem*

Hogsmeade Station - 20 min
ET - Posted 20, felt shorter
Transformers - Posted 30, felt longer...that first room is a killer
Mummy - Posted 10, felt like 5. We should have gone back for seconds.
Gringotts - Posted 105, no idea how long it took but the ride broke down twice right before the pre-show. Prolly added 20-40 minutes.

So...pretty much the best day ever :D

Nelo Ice

Banned
Universal was seriously amazing. Thanks for showing me around Xtortionist. Had a blast and every ride was so much damn fun. Though those HP rides were nuts. Still in shock over how they managed to pull them off. There really is nothing like them.

I do this for you, GAF

iFhIBFVGZZp2C.JPG

<3

Goldrusher

Carowinds announced Fury 325.

325 ft (99 m!) tall.
95 mph (153 kph!) top speed.

official site: https://www.carowinds.com/swarm
PR, pics, videos: http://www.4-traders.com/out.php?ur...rld-s-tallest-fastest-giga-coaster-carolinas/

The world’s tallest and fastest giga coaster will connect the beloved Carolina park’s historic past with its thrilling future

Fury 325 will simulate the wild, daring and spontaneous flight of the hornet. The new ride will be visible from uptown Charlotte, renewing the park’s skyline and serving as a symbol of changes to come. Fury 325 is part of a planned $50 million dollar multiyear investment to bring new life to founder Pat Hall’s original vision for Carowinds. The park will be revamped from top to bottom to celebrate Carolina culture including new rides and attractions, signature Carolina food offerings and entertainment. Opening in Spring 2015, Fury 325 will be the centerpiece of a new 8.2 acre main entrance plaza that includes a state–of–the–art ticketing and season pass processing area and expanded guest service facilities.

“Starting with Fury 325, we plan to make Carowinds a destination for thrillseekers to celebrate the Carolinas,” says Mike Fehnel, Carowinds Vice President and General Manager. “The new ride will build on the heritage of the park, creating new memories and traditions for our loyal fans and future guests from around the world.”

Riders will board into three 32–passenger open air trains and begin their ascent to the top of a 325–foot (over 30 stories) hill. This immense hill is followed by an exhilarating 81 degree first drop. Like an angry hornet chasing its target, Fury 325 will race through a series of hills, curves and quick transitions while reaching speeds of up to 95 miles per hour. Riders will speed along 6,602 feet of track during the nearly three and one half minute ride.

I can't believe it took 15 years for another "regular coaster" to beat Steel Dragon's height record.

muteki

I haven't been to Carowinds in forever, but it's great they continue to add to the park. Also convenient that the Hornets are back in town.

Trying to figure out how this fits, are they removing Rip Roarin Rapids?

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Fury 325 is a pretty bad name. Oh well, the coaster itself looks like an even better version of Leviathan. I haven't ridden Leviathan yet, but I love every B&M hypercoaster I've been on.

Carowinds announced Fury 325.

325 ft (99 m!) tall.
95 mph (153 kph!) top speed.

official site: https://www.carowinds.com/swarm
PR, pics, videos: http://www.4-traders.com/out.php?ur...rld-s-tallest-fastest-giga-coaster-carolinas/

I can't believe it took 15 years for another "regular coaster" to beat Steel Dragon's height record.

As someone that has gone to a coaster of the same type (B&M hypercoaster) that was 76 meters high and went 134km/h (Shambhala), and was already a amagnificent experience, I cant imagine going even higher and faster.

I love that it seems so long and goes below the parks entrance.

There was a hard ticketed Villains event at Hollywood Studios last night that was by all accounts awful. Way oversold, extreme lack of preparation for record crowds. Ran out of food, merchandise, park maps and everything else with 3 hour lines for a pic with any given villain.

WDW continues to impress.

There was a hard ticketed Villains event at Hollywood Studios last night that was by all accounts awful. Way oversold, extreme lack of preparation for record crowds. Ran out of food, merchandise, park maps and everything else with 3 hour lines for a pic with any given villain.

Apparently Guest Relations was pretty much refunding everyone who complained. Lots of stories of CMs having their friends jump the lines for meet and greets.

muteki

2nd year in a row, you would have figured they learned something from last year.

image.php

Just realized I'm probably not going to see this next trip, and I'm pretty bummed about that.

muteki

Me, too. Has there been any confirmation that Maelstrom's closing in about a month?
Nothing official. Though as far as I know FP+ remains unavailable for the end of September onward and we are well within the 60 day limit now, so something is definitely up. I'll be picking FP+'s for the first time in a couple days, but I don't expect Maelstrom to be available.

...just did FP+ for the first time, 60 days out. I got everything I wanted but times were more limited than I would of liked. No Maelstrom in October. FP selection at Epcot is fucking abysmal right now. Can't believe I was debating on getting character spot or turtle talk.

brerwolfe

Finally had the chance to ride Escape from Gringotts last night. We got in line at 710p and exited the gift shop at 750p, so that was a nice surprise. There was no time posted for queue as they were just doing "last call" with the park set to close at 830p.

Overall I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to riding it again. My only issue is that the sound effects seemed muted where I thought they should have some impact. Not sure if that's the way it was supposed to be or if the speakers were off on those scenes. Otherwise I thought it was a pretty great experience.

Although there were things about the queue that I enjoyed, I don't think it's as intricate as Forbidden Journey's. Regardless, everything looked fantastic.

Overall I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to riding it again. My only issue is that the sound effects seemed muted where I thought they should have some impact. Not sure if that's the way it was supposed to be or if the speakers were off on those scenes. Otherwise I thought it was a pretty great

Had to be the speakers. Gringotts' sound design is probably my favorite aspect of the ride. Most sounds should be meaty and pack a punch.

brerwolfe

That's what I thought. It definitely felt like something was missing, so hopefully it'll be different on a repeat visit.

It's kinda like the dementor on Forbidden Journey, it's really cool when you can see your face in the fog, but it's not a deal breaker if you can't.

zeemumu

The Dementor scenes are awesome. I like that you can hear the soul sucking noise when they get in your face. I have a friend who's afraid of spiders but is willing to risk the forbidden forest scene just for the rest of the ride.

Goldrusher

Six Flags 2015

https://www.sixflags.com/newfor2015
https://www.youtube.com/user/sixflagsparks/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

America | Discovery Kingdom | Great Adventure | over Georgia
Bourbon Street Fireball | Dare Devil Chaos | Looping Dragon | Joker's Chaos
Fireball

teaser_bourbonstreetfireballamerica.jpg

over Texas | St. Louis
Justice League: Battle for Metropolis
3D shooter darkride

teaser_battleformetropolisdal_5.jpg

Mexico
SkyScreamer
242ft

La Ronde
Maison Rouge
walkthrough darkride

The Great Escape
Buccaneer Beach
waterpark / pool

White Water
Dive Bomber
new waterslide

Nelo Ice

Banned
So was at Magic Kingdom again yesterday. You guys weren't kidding, Pirates really is that bad here. It's hilariously short compared to the one at Disneyland. Also went on Mine Train since it was a 50 min wait and I already knew going in that I was going to be disappointed and yet I was still disappointed. Ride is way too short and there's really nothing interesting going on aside from the one animatronic scene.

Also am hyped for Twisted Colossus!. Will have to head to SFMM for that and Disneyland for the 60th anniversary next year.

muteki

So was at Magic Kingdom again yesterday. You guys weren't kidding, Pirates really is that bad here. It's hilariously short compared to the one at Disneyland. Also went on Mine Train since it was a 50 min wait and I already knew going in that I was going to be disappointed and yet I was still disappointed. Ride is way too short and there's really nothing interesting going on aside from the one animatronic scene.

Also am hyped for Twisted Colossus!. Will have to head to SFMM for that and Disneyland for the 60th anniversary next year.
Ride is much better overall in DL but I enjoy WDW's pacing and location of the drop more. WDW is missing the awesome intro with the restaurant (MK really needs more restaurants) and the additional burning village scene, but the rest of what DL has extra I don't miss that much (static scenes).

zeemumu

Ride is much better overall in DL but I enjoy WDW's pacing and location of the drop more. WDW is missing the awesome intro with the restaurant (MK really needs more restaurants) and the additional burning village scene, but the rest of what DL has extra I don't miss that much (static scenes).

I wish they'd add the mermaids in the DL one. By the way, what are the extra scenes in the magic kingdom haunted mansion that aren't in the DL one?

Wait til you ride Dinosaur >:)

muteki

Dinosaur is just Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye without Indiana Jones, which is actually completely fine because it's still fun.
Not even on the same plane of existence. Dinosaur is just a jerky jeep ride through the dark with some shrubbery. Even back when all the effects were working/not turned off it comes nowhere near Indiana Jones.

D-Pad

Oh boy I got an idea. Lets take all the cool classic wooden coasters, strip all of the charm out of them, and put super thrilling heart pounding speed twists and corkscrews on them. Yay whoo. Now they're like every other coaster in the park. Whoo hoo.

Oh boy I got an idea. Lets take all the cool classic wooden coasters, strip all of the charm out of them, and put super thrilling heart pounding speed twists and corkscrews on them. Yay whoo. Now they're like every other coaster in the park. Whoo hoo.

If it makes you feel any better Magic Mountain still has Apocalypse which is an incredible wooden coaster.

zeemumu

Not even on the same plane of existence. Dinosaur is just a jerky jeep ride through the dark with some shrubbery. Even back when all the effects were working/not turned off it comes nowhere near Indiana Jones.

That's what I meant. Dinosaur is the ride style of Indiana Jones without any of the temple stuff or scenery relating to Indiana Jones.

That's what I meant. Dinosaur is the ride style of Indiana Jones without any of the temple stuff or scenery relating to Indiana Jones.

It doesn't offer anything particularly enjoyable (music, sound, sets, screens, AAs, etc) except its motion profile IMO, and I can get a great profile in addition to that stuff from other rides (Indy, Spidey, TF, FJ)

Spent all day at Cedar Point today, got to ride gate keeper for the first time. It was great!! Also hardly no waits at all today waited 30 minutes for top thrill dragster and that was longest wait all day.

Will say some rides need some serious help, I dont think i can ride iron dragon/Mantis until they get a rehab.

Holy shit, SF Over Georgia just added a water park this summer now next summer we get 2 additions to Gotham City? Yes!
Wonder if that means they are removing the Axis Chemicals stadium.

Gotham City gonna be stacked; Batman The Ride, Mindbender, Joker, Harley and the Crime Wave.

I know these are nothing amazing but that area has needed something new for a very long time.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Wait til you ride Dinosaur >:)

Well was at Animal Kingdom today. Expedition Everest and the Kilimanjaro Safari were amazing. Though Disco Yeti was hilarious. Dinosaur was eh, some of the effects weren't working and I couldn't really see much of anything. Indiana Jones craps all over it.

Branduil

Spoken like someone who hasn't ridden any of these rides.

zeemumu

Spoken like someone who hasn't ridden any of these rides.

Taaaaaaaatsuuuuuuuuuuuu

water-tribe-o.gif

Apparently this is the concept for the new gingerbread house gracing the dining/ballroom of the haunted mansion during the annual Nightmare Before Christmas revamp.

I like it. I'm hoping that they can outdo their own changes that they made last year.

Mik2121

Last month I moved back to Osaka (Japan) and now I live at 15 mins by bike from Universal Studios Japan. Yesterday I bought a Year Pass for both my wife and me, so now we can go pretty much whenever we want.

Anyway, it was the first time we went there since the Harry Potter area got finished, and damn... it looks cool! Sadly we got to that area at night, so we couldn't see many of the details on the environment work, but still the atmosphere was amazing. Sadly this park only has 2 big Harry Potter attractions, Flight of the Hippogriff and Forbidden Journey, and the Hippogriff one isn't really all that thrilling to begin with. I would have loved to see the Gringotts one :(

We only got time to ride on the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, which was quite cool but I felt like it missed... something. Still will probably be going back to it every time we go to Universal Studios.

Nelo Ice

Banned

And I'll be back at Universal next week!. Really hope they become a real threat as far as profits/visitor numbers go to Disney World since they just continue to hit home runs.

OchreHand

The last time I was at Universal was in 1999 :(

I have plans for Disney next Jan so I'm going to try and squeeze Uni/IoA in. Maybe even stay at one of their hotels.

I didn't even know that they were making another Kong ride in Orlando! That's awesome news!

Yeah, in the plot of land between JP River Adventure and Ripsaw Falls over in IoA. It's going to be massive.

The last time I was at Universal was in 1999 :(

I have plans for Disney next Jan so I'm going to try and squeeze Uni/IoA in. Maybe even stay at one of their hotels.

DUDE. You have to go to Universal. Stay for two days if you want to see everything. It's so worth it, you gotta trust me. Don't forget that staying on-site (except at Cabana Bay) gets you unlimited express which is like a fastpass that can be used anytime, as many times as you want. By far the best way to tour a theme park. It feels like cheating.

Top Bottom