• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Great America. Lots of coasters there:

Goliath is amazing. That 85 degree drop, oh my. Best ride in the park. Theme is kind of lame though, as it is throughout the park.

They need to tear down American Eagle. Or redo it. Pretty unbelievable it's still one of the tallest and fastest in the world.

Xflight is cool. Really different ride depending on where you sit which makes it unique. The keyhole gets me every time

Raging Bull is a lot of fun at night.

Vertical Velocity sucks. Dark Knight does too kind of.

Viper is fun, wish I could have ridden it backwards.

Batman is still a blast, Superman is close to my favorite though.

Skipped Demon in fear of being too jerky. Guessing that is next to get torn down. Whizzer had to long of a line as did the Little Dipper.

SmithnCo

Ugh.
The_Three_Caballeros.jpg

Imagine if Frozen Maelstrom just had Let It Go pumping throughout while Anna yells at you about finding her sister.

aparisi2274

No offense, but the Maelstrom is a boring ride, with an unusually long line... Who knows, maybe if they retheme it, add some Frozen effects to the ride, then that unusually long line can be justified...

I would rather see Disney put their money toward things that need it a lot more... you know like fixing the yeti on Everest or upgrading the the AA in the American Pavilion,

aparisi2274

from Screamscape:

(8/8/14) Universal Orlando celebrated a major milestone yesterday as the Hogwarts Express just took had its millionth rider. Nearly 200 guests on hand were given free Butterbeer Ice Cream and Hogwarts scarves and souvenir Hogwarts Express tickets to celebrate the event. It’s crazy to think that it has already taken one million riders for a trip between the parks in just over one month from the grand opening.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Just got to Orlando!. What are some must see things to do?. Besides the obvious like Disney World which I'll get into for free and Universal. Also any must eat places at the parks and in or around Orlando?. If I can afford it I plan on going to NASA , gator land, and Busch Gardens. Also if anyone knows deals or tricks to go cheaper that would be much appreciated!. And of anyone want to meet up at one of the theme parks?.

Just got to Orlando!. What are some must see things to do?. Besides the obvious like Disney World which I'll get into for free and Universal. Also any must eat places at the parks and in or around Orlando?. If I can afford it I plan on going to NASA , gator land, and Busch Gardens. Also if anyone knows deals or tricks to go cheaper that would be much appreciated!. And of anyone want to meet up at one of the theme parks?.

I should probably be able to do Universal any day from Thursday onward. I'll double check my schedule just in case. Would be cool if we can get a GAF meetup going sometime.

Edit-the weekend would prolly be better.

LuuKyK

Busch Gardens is a must go if you like roller coasters.

brerwolfe

I'm on day 15 of a 27-day work trip or else I'd consider it.

Concerning food in Orlando, we're all chains. There's no authentic "Orlando" flavor that you can't get anywhere else.

That being said, if you like Mexican food my favorite restaurant in town is Agave Azul. Not sure where you're staying, but it's only a five minute drive from Universal. Take Kirkman Road north from Universal like 3 miles, turn left on Conroy. Agave Azul is in the shopping center on the left.

Don't let the plaza frighten you. They just demolished half the buildings in there, but that has no effect on what is possibly the best Mexican food in Orlando.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I should probably be able to do Universal any day from Thursday onward. I'll double check my schedule just in case. Would be cool if we can get a GAF meetup going sometime.

Edit-the weekend would prolly be better.

Awesome I'll see if I can fit it in. Should be able to afford it but hoping I can snag a discount or find someone to hook it up for free lol. edit: Aww yiss I can get a florida resident discount for an AP.
I'm on day 15 of a 27-day work trip or else I'd consider it.

Concerning food in Orlando, we're all chains. There's no authentic "Orlando" flavor that you can't get anywhere else.

That being said, if you like Mexican food my favorite restaurant in town is Agave Azul. Not sure where you're staying, but it's only a five minute drive from Universal. Take Kirkman Road north from Universal like 3 miles, turn left on Conroy. Agave Azul is in the doing center on the left.

Don't let the plaza frighten you. They just demolished half the buildings in there, but that has no effect on what is possibly the best Mexican food in Orlando.

I'll be in the Disney apartments. I'm an intern. So if there isn't anything specifically Orlando, what in the parks are must trys?.

Awesome I'll see if I can fit it in. Should be able to afford it but hoping I can snag a discount or find someone to hook it up for free lol.

I'll be in the Disney apartments. I'm an intern. So if there isn't anything specifically Orlando, what in the parks are must trys?.

For in-park dining, pretty much anything at EPCOT will do lol. I also hear great things about Yak and Yeti in Animal Kingdom.

Universal has really stepped up its food game recently; I'd recommend Mythos/Three Broomsticks at Islands of Adventure, and Fast Food Boulevard (The Simpsons)/Leaky Cauldron at Studios. Citywalk has also seen some great additions lately. Vivo (Italian), Antojitos (Mexican), and Red Oven (Pizza) specialize in freshly-prepared meals and are all fantastic. Be on the lookout for Cowfish (burger and sushi bar...yes, really) in the near future. Good prices for most of that stuff, too.

I'm currently helping some relatives relocate to a city about an hour north of Orlando, so plans are a bit up in the air until that's settled. Though I think I should be clear by this weekend sometime.

Nelo Ice

Banned
For in-park dining, pretty much anything at EPCOT will do lol. I also hear great things about Yak and Yeti in Animal Kingdom.

Universal has really stepped up its food game recently; I'd recommend Mythos/Three Broomsticks at Islands of Adventure, and Fast Food Boulevard (The Simpsons)/Leaky Cauldron at Studios. Citywalk has also seen some great additions lately. Vivo (Italian), Antojitos (Mexican), and Red Oven (Pizza) specialize in freshly-prepared meals and are all fantastic. Be on the lookout for Cowfish (burger and sushi bar...yes, really) in the near future. Good prices for most of that stuff, too.

I'm currently helping some relatives relocate to a city about an hour north of Orlando, so plans are a bit up in the air until that's settled. Though I think I should be clear by this weekend sometime.

NIce thanks and yes looks like I'm getting an annual pass for the florida resident discount and it'll be my bday present from my fam!. edit:Btw bit of a random question but is the tap water in Orlando ok to drink? Curious since I got a pack of water from Costco but it would be soo much cheaper if I could just refill my own water bottle and Costco ones with tap water then put em in the fridge so they're cold. And just read its fine but tastes like ass unless it's filtered.

MIAtrix

Neo Member
Great America. Lots of coasters there:

Goliath is amazing. That 85 degree drop, oh my. Best ride in the park. Theme is kind of lame though, as it is throughout the park.

They need to tear down American Eagle. Or redo it. Pretty unbelievable it's still one of the tallest and fastest in the world.

Xflight is cool. Really different ride depending on where you sit which makes it unique. The keyhole gets me every time

Raging Bull is a lot of fun at night.

Vertical Velocity sucks. Dark Knight does too kind of.

Viper is fun, wish I could have ridden it backwards.

Batman is still a blast, Superman is close to my favorite though.

Skipped Demon in fear of being too jerky. Guessing that is next to get torn down. Whizzer had to long of a line as did the Little Dipper.

Kind of funny that I actually live in Orlando and care nothing about the talk about the Orlando theme park! I went to SFGA as well over the 4th of July weekend. Goliath was indeed awesome, although kinda on the short side. I sat in the back row, so I got every last bit of that opening 85 degree drop. Six Flags "theming" as a whole is lame. It's not just exclusive to that park.

Didn't have time to do American Eagle, but have been on plenty of rides like it. Will have to knock it off of my list next time I'm there. Pretty sure it's not better than Lightning Racer at Hersheypark, which is my favoride racing wooden coaster.

X-Flight was cool. It was my second wing coaster, so the novelty was already gone for me. I was on the far right seat. I'll have to sit on the far left seat on my next wing coaster to see what the opening drop feels like from that perspective.

Raging Bull was pretty cool and the layout was a bit different than your typical B&M hypercoaster. But you can never go wrong with those types of rides.

Skipped Vertical Velocity since I've already ridden the same ride at Dorney Park and Cedar Point. The 90 degree side without the twists is easily the best part of the ride, since you're catching full air time. Shame you only get to experience that twice. The ride should be a bit longer.

Already rode Dark Knight at another park. Typical Wild Mouse coaster, just indoors. Skipped Viper since I've been on other Cyclone clones. Skipped Batman, since it's pretty much at every Six Flags. Skipped Superman for the same reason. I've been on Tatsu at SFMM and Manta at Seaworld Orlando and they both are easily better flying coasters than Superman. Skipped Demon since I've also been on a ton of Arrow looping coasters.

I DID get on Whizzer though since I was with my 8-year old niece and 5-year old nephew. My niece actually loved it. She's slowly becoming my new coaster partner!

NIce thanks and yes looks like I'm getting an annual pass for the florida resident discount and it'll be my bday present from my fam!. edit:Btw bit of a random question but is the tap water in Orlando ok to drink? Curious since I got a pack of water from Costco but it would be soo much cheaper if I could just refill my own water bottle and Costco ones with tap water then put em in the fridge so they're cold. And just read its fine but tastes like ass unless it's filtered.

PMed you.

No clue about the tap water, unfortunately.

lush

Universal Orlando announced their original houses:

Dollhouse of the Damned : A demented little girl has turned an old morgue into her playhouse, full of the people she has tortured and the scattered remains of her discarded dolls and play-things she got bored with. According to the Universal blog, “You’ll see characters with porcelain doll masks that have been smashed into their faces, and now they’re permanent.”

Giggles & Gore Inc. : Taking over the Disaster queue area is a trip into the twisted factory where evil clowns are made. “It’s an actual process. We all know that there are countless unsolved disappearances across the country. Where do these people end up? In the clown factory, being stretched, smashed and eviscerated.
Faces are peeled off and voice boxes are torn out. Victims are dropped into a wood chipper, and the gunk that comes out is shoved into other people to create these massive, nasty stuffed clowns.”

Roanoke - Cannibal Colony:  Find out what happened to the missing settlers of the Roanoke colony who resorted to cannibalism to survive and see how it links with the spirit of Wendigo. “They think they’re being possessed by the Wendigo spirit. They start eating their own mouths. They’ve chewed away their lips. They’ve just completely lost it.”

Scare zones:

MASKerade: Unstitched – People trapped in the past, their skin is falling off, or at least what they haven’t tried to stitch back on themselves, or glue shut with wax. 

Bayou of Blood – Beware the High Priestess who is performing spells and making sacrifices in order to obtain the ultimate power.

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/hhn24-original-content/

aparisi2274

Universal Orlando just announced this, this morning...

A Celebration of Harry Potter Returns to Universal Orlando in 2015

Get ready to celebrate again.

Universal Orlando announced that they will be hosting the second annual “A Celebration of Harry Potter” event from January 30 to February 1, 2015.

The Celebration will allow fans access into the world of everything Harry Potter; featuring film talent Q&A sessions, discussions and demonstrations, a Harry Potter Expo and more. Of course guests will also be able to visit the all-new Diagon Alley expansion and ride “Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts”. All general admission park guests will have the chance to experience the event.

A limited number of exclusive event vacation packages —including annual passholder packages—will go on sale at noon (EST) on August 21. These packages offer hotel accommodations, theme park tickets, and exclusive benefits including:

An exclusive Q&A session with select Harry Potter film talent
An evening event in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade
Breakfast at the Three Broomsticks in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade (one per person)
Reserved seating for select Celebration events
A specially themed Welcome Parcel
Complimentary commemorative merchandise item
The packages sold out fast last year, so be prepared to pounce as soon as the package goes on sale.

For more information, visit the Celebration page.

aparisi2274

The tap water in orlando tastes like you are drinking a wet match! There seems to be an insane amount of sulfur in their tap water, that getting used to it, does not seem to be a possibility!

You are better off sticking with bottled water!

MIAtrix

Neo Member

I live in Orlando, and yes the water is full of sulfur down here so YMMV depending on the water fountain filtration. Straight from a hotel tap or something? Nah.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So looks like I can get florida resident discount on all the places I want to go. Now to find a ride to those spots!. Also thanks for the answers, guess I'll stick to buying costco water bottles.

brerwolfe

Buy bottled water or get one of those Brita filters that fit on your faucet. You can find them at Wal-Mart and they're worth every dollar.

Lived in Orlando since '94 and refuse to drink out of the tap without a filter. I won't drink out of most water fountains even, it's nasty.

Jotted down my thoughts on Gringotts down on another forum a few days ago. Cleaned them up and thought I'd post them here.

GRINGOTTS SPOILERS OMG

After 14 rides, I still don't have a clear opinion of Gringotts. I do think it's easily the most technically impressive attraction to date, but I think the actual ride experience has some pacing issues. The basic screen->transition->screen->repeat formula from Spidey/TF is represented here, though Gringotts lacks the constant motion base profile of those rides. This leads to a very stop/start ride flow that creates some unfortunate lulls imo. The Thief's Downfall scene in particular really drags for me (the motion base for the troll attack is so subtle that I almost want to say its a waste) and the freefall scene putters out in its second half. The first Voldemort scene is no better, though I can cut it some slack for being the most convincing projection I've ever seen. Climax also has similar issues.

I would describe Gringotts' pacing as that of an action film due to its alternating rhythm of action (movement) and plot/exposition. For reference, I would describe the pacing of Spider-Man, Transformers, and FJ as that of an individual action scene - maintaining near-constant momentum throughout and using variety to keep the experience fresh. I'm not sure if Gringotts' ride experience has actual issues or if it's just me. The ride also feels very short, even though it's objectively in line with similar attractions at Universal (TF, FJ, etc). Maybe it has something to do with the pacing.

Anyway, Gringotts' lateral movement during transitions is fantastically urgent. I've said this before, but Gringotts has one of my favorite openings in any ride for it's near-instant acceleration to a thrilling speed and music choice. It wastes no time at all getting you right into the action. Even better than Transformers' IMO.

I also appreciate the climactic launch/spin combination. It's awesome when a ride ends with a unique maneuver. On the other hand, Spidey/TF/FJ are simulation heavy throughout and merely end with more simulation. Gringotts nails this.

Unlike in most rides, it can be tough to pick a favorite row to ride in. Row 1 offers the best psychological effect on the tilting track. Row 4 puts you damn near face-to-face with the characters in the first Voldemort scene. Row 6 gives the most thrill on the drop. Though, I think row 3 has the best overall mix of thrill and visuals; you aren't too close to the front which makes the climax scene easy to follow, you're back a bit so the drop is slightly more thrilling, but you're still in the first car so scene 1 and the climax aren't obstructed. Anyone agree/disagree?

Gringotts also packs some seriously impressive sound design. Just some meaty, bassy, hard hitting stuff. Some of my favorites include:

-the cart SFX at load, and how they're timed to begin before the cart starts moving. Also how they gradually ratchet up while at the post-load holding area. Makes the cart sound very unstable, in a good way.
-the sound when the track tilts
-the first Arresto Momentum
-when the troll grabs the cart
-Bill's Windgardium Leviosa
-when Voldemort breaks through the vault wall
-the tire screeching sound after the launch (this one is pretty funny to me)

(Ignore any of those if the sound is coming from the ride mechanics instead of the speakers lol)

Music is also fantastic throughout the attraction. Universal's sound team is absolutely best-in-class. While it would be easy to throw the Gringotts tunes from Deathly Hallows into the ride, Universal actually found something better. The main theme of the ride (mentioned above) is actually the Whomping Willow theme from Prisoner of Azkaban. I guess some people from Universal combed through all of the films' soundtracks for the perfect music, and it shows. I can comfortably say that Gringotts has my favorite audio of any attraction.

Just want to throw this in here, but the setwork is immense and spectacular. It makes the transition between the Thief's Downfall and freefall scenes one of my favorite parts of the ride. Look up to see a physical Thief's Downfall waterfall! Harry and friends enter the preceding scene through the left side of the Thief's Downfall behind a half-digital, half-physical pillar. When the scene ends, guests move behind the pillar so the physical waterfall (the right side, at least)) above makes spacial sense. Yes, I'm a nut for this stuff. Fun fact: the second Megatron scene in Transfomers is also spatially-consistent, with Megatron bursting out of the wall from the room he was in when he grabs Evac. Pay attention to the movement and you'll see what I mean ;)

Overall, Gringotts is at least number 3 for me behind Spidey and TF, though i still don't know exactly where to place it. In general, I feel it may have higher highs than those rides, but those lulls make it less consistent throughout. It's tough to get used to.

My top 5 at Universal looks something like this right now

1. Transformers
2. Spider-Man
3. Gringotts
4. FJ
5. Mummy

(replace Mummy with Indiana Jones Adventure for my overall top 5)

non-spoiler tl;dr

-Pacing is considerably different than other Universal dark rides. Very stop-start, may be off-putting to some. Makes ride feel short even though it really isn't.
-Row 3 is the best overall row to sit in imo.
-Movement is fun and feels unique
-Sound design (effects + music) are GOAT
-Incredible physical sets

Thoughts?

Still haven't been on it. Gimme a grade from A-F.

Overall experience (Queue + ride): A
Ride experience: B (though I think this is VERY subjective, like way more than normal. Really depends on if the pacing gels with you, and if you process the length of the ride despite it feeling short when you're caught up in the moment)

If I can use +/-, I'd say overall is A/A+ (highest marks) and ride is an A-.

Didn't touch on the queue in my post but it's marvelous. There's one small section that's a little weak imo (and certainly needs the volume cranked up), but the main bank hall, multiple pre-show rooms, and station are all incredible. Best queue I've ever seen.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So went to WDW for the first time today. Spent most of the day at Epcot and wow that place is amazing. I'll be working there too. The World Showcase is ridiculous and I'm going to enjoy trying out foods from every pavilion. Sadly besides walking around and taking a ton of pics at the showcase, I only got to ride Mission Space and that boat ride in Mexico. Besides that I went to Hollywood Studios and rode Tower of Terror. Speaking of which damn did we get a hilariously nerfed version in California Adventure. The WDW tower is leagues better.

SmithnCo

So went to WDW for the first time today. Spent most of the day at Epcot and wow that place is amazing. I'll be working there too. The World Showcase is ridiculous and I'm going to enjoy trying out foods from every pavilion. Sadly besides walking around and taking a ton of pics at the showcase, I only got to ride Mission Space and that boat ride in Mexico. Besides that I went to Hollywood Studios and rode Tower of Terror. Speaking of which damn did we get a hilariously nerfed version in California Adventure. The WDW tower is leagues better.

Yeah, the Cali ToT is kinda sad but the Orlando version is one of my favorite rides.

Yeah, the 5th dimension scene really makes it. You should also find WDW's Haunted Mansion to be a step above DL's.

So this is your first time in Orlando? Oh man, Universal is gonna blow your mind >:)

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yeah, the 5th dimension scene really makes it. You should also find WDW's Haunted Mansion to be a step above DL's.

So this is your first time in Orlando? Oh man, Universal is gonna blow your mind >:)

Yup, first time here and first time in the east coast period. I'm gonna try and make it to Universal on Sunday. Just got my proof of residency for the annual pass too. Might as well since it's only like $40 more than a single day park hopper. Not to mention there's like no blackouts until late December at which point I won't even bother going anyway lol.

zeemumu

Yeah. Hollywood Studios has a randomized drop pattern and that 5th dimension scene to put it above CA's. As for the mansion. Disneyland Paris trumps us all.

Yeah. Hollywood Studios has a randomized drop pattern and that 5th dimension scene to put it above CA's. As for the mansion. Disneyland Paris trumps us all.
Eh, Phantom Manor is really cool in how different it is and how complex the overarching story is, but it doesn't have the same charm either Haunted Mansion has.

From what I've heard, Pirates and Big Thunder are the real stars of DLP. Would love to get on those someday,
Pirates is really cool! Very fast paced compared to Orlando and Anaheim. I can't speak to Big Thunder because I didn't get to it, but apparently it's story connects to phantom manor which is interesting.

Tower of terror being better in orlando than any other disney park (they are all copies of cali, besides the theming in DisneySEA) its a fact, HM orlando vs cali is more subjective.

Nah, Phantom manor is too random for my tastes, Haunted Mansion has more cohesion. The Phantom Manor story tied with the whole land is better (aswell as explaining the start well with the intro), but then it's not featured really on the ride, you need to seek for background information to know the whole about it.
Also enlglish voice actor>french voice actor, it's a pity becuase the original reading with Vincent Prince was amazing, fuck the french goverment forcing disney to get rid of it. The best solution would have been mixing both (the do this now for most of the rides), or putting different hours for each one.

And I say that as someone who is not french or english but understand both languages.

The music is incredibly chilling and amazing though, although there's too little Grim Grinning Ghosts, that part at the endo could have been a little longer, maybe even mix with a good french translation.

Now Pirates and Big Thunder Mountain in Paris are indeed best versions (although I like how the original BTM in Cali is tied with Mine train through wonderland and keeps with the old park's history).

Pirates is really cool! Very fast paced compared to Orlando and Anaheim. I can't speak to Big Thunder because I didn't get to it, but apparently it's story connects to phantom manor which is interesting.

The problem with this is that it only ties if you are a huge disney park fans and read about it in books, etc... And it was an amazing idea. But for the majority of people they seem totally detached one from the other. I remember my last visit with my hand made guide explaining to my friends all of that story on the queues of each ride adn them being really interested.

zeemumu

Tower of terror being better in orlando than any other disney park (they are all copies of cali, besides the theming in DisneySEA) its a fact, HM orlando vs cali is more subjective.

Orlando's actually came first and California's is the copy. Ours wasn't built until the early 2000's I only know this because they used Orlando's in the Tower of Terror movie.

Nah, Phantom manor is too random for my tastes, Haunted Mansion has more cohesion. The Phantom Manor story tied with the whole land is better (aswell as explaining the start well with the intro), but then it's not featured really on the ride, you need to seek for background information to know the whole about it.
Also enlglish voice actor>french voice actor, it's a pity becuase the original reading with Vincent Prince was amazing, fuck the french goverment forcing disney to get rid of it. The best solution would have been mixing both (the do this now for most of the rides), or putting different hours for each one.

And I say that as someone who is not french or english but understand both languages.

The music is incredibly chilling and amazing though, although there's too little Grim Grinning Ghosts, that part at the endo could have been a little longer, maybe even mix with a good french translation.

I think it showed a decent amount of its backstory in the ride. You do end up going through ghost Frontierland, and the earthquake in the blasting tunnel of Big Thunder is the event referred to in Phantom Manor's plotline and the reason why it's a literal ghost town.

I do like that Orlando and Paris' mansions look like actual mansions, though. Cali's is located in New Orleans Square, not Frontierland, so it looks like a plantation-style home instead of a large mansion. But then again, if you factor in Haunted Mansion Holiday then I think that Disneyland's is better than WDW and Paris, but on its own I rank it as Paris, WDW, DL, then Tokyo Disney.

I put Paris' over the others purely for the story alone. It's a pretty cool one.

Wish they'd bring back Hatbox Ghost. I'm having a lot of trouble believing that they still can't get that effect to work after 45 years.

Orlando's actually came first and California's is the copy. Ours wasn't built until the early 2000's I only know this because they used Orlando's in the Tower of Terror movie.

I think it showed a decent amount of its backstory in the ride. You do end up going through ghost Frontierland, and the earthquake in the blasting tunnel of Big Thunder is the event referred to in Phantom Manor's plotline and the reason why it's a literal ghost town.

I do like that Orlando and Paris' mansions look like actual mansions, though. Cali's is located in New Orleans Square, not Frontierland, so it looks like a plantation-style home instead of a large mansion. But then again, if you factor in Haunted Mansion Holiday then I think that Disneyland's is better than WDW and Paris, but on its own I rank it as Paris, WDW, DL, then Tokyo Disney.

I put Paris' over the others purely for the story alone. It's a pretty cool one.

Wish they'd bring back Hatbox Ghost. I'm having a lot of trouble believing that they still can't get that effect to work after 45 years.

This is the same Disney that puts in the yeti that breaks down easily and cannot be removed unless they break down most of the ride.

zeemumu

This is the same Disney that puts in the yeti that breaks down easily and cannot be removed unless they break down most of the ride.

I give them some slack on the yeti. It was way too ambitious and complex to have working consantly. Hatbox uses a pre-existing animatronic skeletal structure that they redesigned last DVD so we KNOW that they're capable of at least the moving model, but I would assume that they could do something to make that head effect work.

Xun

From what I've heard from an insider online, the Yeti is finally going to be fixed early next year.

He's apparently quite credible, so we'll see what happens.

Also what do you guys think of Mystic Manor? Although I've not been it, it appears to be quite a nice variation of the Haunted Mansion concept.

You didnt understand me, I said that Paris and Tokyo DisneySEA are copies from California's ToT (and as i said, the thing that changes from Tokyo is the whole theming as its still the same system), while Orlando is the original and its own thing.

I have a problem with Ghost forntierland, and seems most of the people ive talk have the same feeling. Is not explained properly. The set is not good enough to tell you its exactly the ghost version of the town you are visitng above, and the transittion to it is too abrupt. The majority of people think what they are watching is a room from the manor that looks western (or some random thing in the garden, I kid you not), and not the actual town in hell. In fact it feels really tacky. I have no problem understanding what they imagineers want to say, becuase ive read the background story, but to any normal person it just sits there.

This is how it supposed to look. The cemetery to hell transition is better conveyed in the artworks:
PM10.jpg

The street looks something like a real street also:
PM12.jpg

And the ending explains clearly you are exiting hell and entering the mansion again.
PM13.jpg

Just look at the scale this thing has, it really look like a town, its smaller in the real one, and it shows.
pm_m_canyon.png

I also thing the fairground ghosthouse colors dont work well with the scene. It works much better for the parts for inside the mansion, but for the ghost town it just needed better colors and lighting (yellows and reds, just as the artwork show, it really feels on those that the earth is crumbling with lava streams).
The flash photo ruins the scene, but the color dont look much better in real life either.

Of course, money was the problem with the scene going smaller in scale. Discoveryland was the one that most felt it, but the other lands had cuts everywhere.

Yeah, my big problem with Phantom Manor was that everything moved by too fast and the transitions between locations were super abrupt. It's a really great idea that could've been executed better.

zeemumu

WDW'S does have the best queue, though. DL'S would stand a better chance if they renovated more of it outside of the holiday renovation, which I have to say was amazing last year. They replaced the large Jack Skellington head with an actual animation and modified the paintings in the hall to have Zero fly through them.

But aside from that and the attic, nothing has changed much since it was opened.

muteki

WDW'S does have the best queue, though. DL'S would stand a better chance if they renovated more of it outside of the holiday renovation, which I have to say was amazing last year. They replaced the large Jack Skellington head with an actual animation and modified the paintings in the hall to have Zero fly through them.

But aside from that and the attic, nothing has changed much since it was opened.

I've been on WDW vanilla and DL holiday Haunted Mansion and while I thought the overlay was fantastic, I got the sense that without it the ride would be inferior to Orlando's. Exterior is still better though.

Mystic Manor sounds interesting but there is something about trackless rides that i don't like.

DHS's ToT is also probably one of the few times where the definitive version still exists in WDW.

overcast

What the hell, I didn't even know there was a better version of Tower and Haunted Mansion than what we have in DL. Need to make it out to these parks man.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So went to Epcot for the 2 hours before closing and caught Illuminations. Cool show though of course I compared it to World of Color and of course Color won out. Still totally biased to my home park lol.

Top Bottom