• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Do we know about the update to Jurassic Park or is all just speculation currently?

I recall reading that JP was supposed to receive a wooden amber mine-themed coaster and flat ride, but the expansion was put on hold. Current rumors aren't saying anything about JP except for the entrance on one side moving closer to Thunder Falls/River Adventure due to Kong/Skull Island taking up space.

Rumors say that Spring 2016 is when Kong is opening, if anyone is curious.

aparisi2274

I need more details on this. Are they remaking Kongfrontation or do an animatronic version of King Kong 360 3D

details are still scarce... but screamscape posted a rumor recently about it:

An interesting rumor has been posted to Orlando Parks News this week about what we might expect to see from the rumored new King Kong attraction going into Islands of Adventure. Much of what they’ve posted falls in line with what we’ve posted for months, that it will be a mix of animatronics and a projection effect finale, but they do mention one extra thing. An animatronic that will appear to be running… as in… running after you! “Must go faster! Must go faster!!”

zeemumu

details are still scarce... but screamscape posted a rumor recently about it:

Part of me wishes that they were referring to an animatronic Jeff Goldblum, but from that description it sounds like a live action version of Kong 360 3D. As long as they have at least one full size Kong robot I'll be fine with it.

I need more details on this. Are they remaking Kongfrontation or do an animatronic version of King Kong 360 3D

It's a full original ride. Some stuff I've read:

-takes place both indoors and outdoors

-not much info on the vehicles, though they're said to be high capacity and tandem, like Great Movie Ride. Maybe something like Great Movie Ride x Indy?

-each ride vehicle will have a "tour guide" employee that may or may not get "eaten/killed" on the ride

-mix of AAs, sets, and 3d screens. Many 3d screens will contain little action and simply exist to add depth to physical sets, kind of like matte paintings/murals in older dark rides

-building is said to be huge, perhaps as tall as the JPRA building. Possible elevators?

OchreHand

Yeah, in the plot of land between JP River Adventure and Ripsaw Falls over in IoA. It's going to be massive.

DUDE. You have to go to Universal. Stay for two days if you want to see everything. It's so worth it, you gotta trust me. Don't forget that staying on-site (except at Cabana Bay) gets you unlimited express which is like a fastpass that can be used anytime, as many times as you want. By far the best way to tour a theme park. It feels like cheating.

Yah, that's the general impression I'm getting that Universal is kicking butt.

Does anyone know if Universal or IoA will be busy in the middle of Jan? Disney wasn't too packed when I last went around that time (in 2013) except for the South American tour groups which seemed everywhere.

Y'all should talk more about other parks instead of Uni/Diz all the time. There's tons more out there.

Went to Cedar Point and Kings Island thursday/Friday.

Gatekeeper was great, but banshee at Kings Island is up there as one of my new favorite coasters. There is this sweet really really slow barrel roll towards the end that completely caught me off guard first time.

bad part was a lot of the coasters were down on friday when I went: Diamonback, Fire hawk, beast for a bit, Invertigo, and even banshee got stuck on the lift hill and they had to get everyone out.

jtb

Banned
I also went to Cedar Point last week, was a ton of fun.

reasonable lines for everything (minus waiting in line for an hour on pipe scream what the fuck), everything was up and running too.

and I'll just add my voice to the chorus of people saying to demolish/RMC-ify/whatever Mean Streak and ditch the stand-up seats on Mantis. Mean Streak is a bit rough, but it seems a bit ridiculous to have the first drop, literally the only interesting element on the entire ride, trim braked to hell and back. then the rest of the ride you're just going around in circles a few times at a leisurely pace, zero air time, etc. Horrible, boring layout. Mantis' layout is fine, just need to get rid of the stupid stand-up gimmick.

I also went to Cedar Point last week, was a ton of fun.

reasonable lines for everything (minus waiting in line for an hour on pipe scream what the fuck), everything was up and running too.

and I'll just add my voice to the chorus of people saying to demolish/RMC-ify/whatever Mean Streak and ditch the stand-up seats on Mantis. Mean Streak is a bit rough, but it seems a bit ridiculous to have the first drop, literally the only interesting element on the entire ride, trim braked to hell and back. then the rest of the ride you're just going around in circles a few times at a leisurely pace, zero air time, etc. Horrible, boring layout. Mantis' layout is fine, just need to get rid of the stupid stand-up gimmick.

When i went on thursday longest I wited for anything was 30 minutes for gatekeeper. Mantis (which I think im done riding forever) and raptor. Everything else was around 10-15 minutes. i havent rode mean streak in probably 6 years, its a shitty wood coaster and destroys my back, nothing touches the beast.

So today Tony Baxter (project lead/lead designer for Big Thunder, Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure) waited 90 minutes standby for Gringotts and called it "the greatest thing ever".

Universal... *swoon* And Kong is said to be even better?

ilzp7ccCp9pYI.gif

I can't even.

Bah, college. I can't make it back to Orlando until mid-December :(

Tony Baxter giving props where it counts.
Too bad he is retired and imagineers dont have any liberty to do what they want anymore.

It's a full original ride. Some stuff I've read:

-takes place both indoors and outdoors

-not much info on the vehicles, though they're said to be high capacity and tandem, like Great Movie Ride. Maybe something like Great Movie Ride x Indy?

-each ride vehicle will have a "tour guide" employee that may or may not get "eaten/killed" on the ride

-mix of AAs, sets, and 3d screens. Many 3d screens will contain little action and simply exist to add depth to physical sets, kind of like matte paintings/murals in older dark rides

-building is said to be huge, perhaps as tall as the JPRA building. Possible elevators?

Ok this sounds awesome. The random eating tour guide would be perfect for revisits.

lush

Kongfrontation was such a cool ride, I feel like I was way too young to really take it all in but I remember it having ridiculous scale. Hard to believe Jaws is gone now too. Hoping we get some rumors soon about Twister/Disaster being replaced.

RoyalFool

Banned
Kongfrontation was such a cool ride, I feel like I was way too young to really take it all in but I remember it having ridiculous scale. Hard to believe Jaws is gone now too. Hoping we get some rumors soon about Twister/Disaster being replaced.

I loved the details, like seeing TV's in the windows showing news reports etc.

zeemumu

Starting to notice how sections of the Studio Tour in Hollywood were turned into full-length rides in Florida (Kongfrontation, Jaws, Earthquake, etc).

thefro

It was pretty neat in terms of the scale and theming, but wasn't a ride that you'd want to go on more than once a trip. Just a tram ride past some explosions, a couple huge Kong animatronics and a couple little drops.

Twister's rumored to be replaced but Disaster just got updated 6 years ago, so I'd think it'd be a few more years before they replace that ride.

Starting to notice how sections of the Studio Tour in Hollywood were turned into full-length rides in Florida (Kongfrontation, Jaws, Earthquake, etc).

Yeah, that was the original vision, plus having a working TV/movie backlot at the Orlando park with the soundstages and the streets being setup like fascades of NY, San Francisco, Hollywood, etc.. There was even a tram tour around the soundstages but it was pretty crappy since 1) there wasn't much production going out outside of the Nickelodeon stuff (which was a separate tour) and there were no "ride areas"/"staged scenes".

zeemumu

Yeah, that was the original vision, plus having a working TV/movie backlot at the Orlando park with the soundstages and the streets being setup like fascades of NY, San Francisco, Hollywood, etc.. There was even a tram tour around the soundstages but it was pretty crappy since 1) there wasn't much production going out outside of the Nickelodeon stuff (which was a separate tour) and there were no "ride areas"/"staged scenes".

I'm probably being picky but the Studio Tour in Hollywood could use a little bit more. It doesn't feel as grand as it used to.

On a related question, I'm planning on getting a Universal Studios Hollywood annual pass. The most expensive one is the only one that comes with parking (it also comes with priority boarding for the tour) and it's $179. Should I buy one now so that I have it when I decide to go or just buy it the day of, or is the parking and priority boarding not worth it and I should just hang on to my money or get the cheaper one?

aparisi2274

Y'all should talk more about other parks instead of Uni/Diz all the time. There's tons more out there.

So, start up a dialogue about a park you've been to. Let us know why its a good park, what rides they have, ect..

This is an open discussion about theme parks, and right now Universal Orlando has the most projects in the works, so we discuss them at great length.

Last week, we were talking about Six Flags and all the new attractions they announced for 2015.

I think it's that, for the most part, Six Flags and the like are regional parks and not necessarily travel destinations.

Universal and Disney are the exception to that rule.

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

http://youtu.be/IkkRRK_oAaQ

SANDUSKY, Ohio (Sept. 2, 2014) – It’s the “last stand” for one of Cedar Point’s steel scream machines. Earlier today, the park announced that the Mantis roller coaster will soon give its final rides.

Mantis was billed as the tallest, fastest and steepest stand-up roller coaster in the world when it opened on May 11, 1996. Featuring trains that secure guests in a standing position, Mantis provides its passengers with a unique ride experience. Mantis was built by the same legendary manufacturers that brought guests the Raptor and GateKeeper roller coasters – Bolliger and Mabillard (B & M), Monthey, Switzerland. In its 18-year history, Mantis has given more than 22 million thrilling rides.

“It’s time to say goodbye to one of the park’s coasters, and it’s certainly been a different kind of ride for our guests,” said Jason McClure, vice president and general manager of Cedar Point. “But we’re extremely excited about what the future holds here at the Roller Coaster Capital of the World™.”

Guests still have time to give Mantis a “standing ovation” before it shuts down permanently on Sunday, October 19 at 8 p.m. Additional plans for the 2015 season will be announced at a later date.

v9RNmIL.png

Many people believe this will be a conversion to a floorless coaster rather than a removal.

Also, this is my first post as part of CoasterGAF or ThemeParkGAF whatever you call it.

Favorite woodie: The Beast

Favorite steel: Millenium Force

My home park is Kings Island and I have a Gold Pass for it. Going back this month some time once they open up for Haunt. Is it common to post trip reports in here?

aparisi2274

Well, summer is definitely over!!!

15120156535_891fccc5e2_z.jpg

Gringotts ride time for today, 9/2.

NOTE: This is not my photo... it was sent to screamscape via twitter.

Well, summer is definitely over!!!

15120156535_891fccc5e2_z.jpg

Gringotts ride time for today, 9/2.

NOTE: This is not my photo... it was sent to screamscape via twitter.

Holy SHIT! A few days ago, I saw it was 45 min with only one or two rows of the outdoor switchbacks filled, but that's just crazy. I bet you could walk straight to the main hall.

Nelo Ice

Banned
*grumbles*

We waited over an hour in that line! All those switchbacks...

Was fun as shit though.

Yup, still totally worth it! And since everyone I know is busy, I'll be going solo today. Was thinking about Hollywood Studios but seeing as how Universal has single rider for everything...yeah think I'll head there lol.

Yup, still totally worth it! And since everyone I know is busy, I'll be going solo today. Was thinking about Hollywood Studios but seeing as how Universal has single rider for everything...yeah think I'll head there lol.

Lol have fun. You'll massacre the parks with single rider ;)

jtb

Banned
standing ovation hahahah

good riddance

sit-down trains would be perfect, replacing with another ride would be fine too (though I think it has a small footprint... Mean Streak seems like it would be a much better/higher maintenance demolishing project if they were getting rid of the ride completely.)

aparisi2274

Great Adventure has a stand-up... Green Lantern. It was moved from some other SF park, and had a different name down there...

I dont mind stand up coasters, I just don't think there is any sort of plus to a standup over a sit down.

jtb

Banned
actually, thinking for 2 seconds about it, wouldn't be surprised if they put in sit-down cars for Mantis and used that as an excuse to rename it to something LeBron related

Xun

I made a thread about the park a while back, but I feel it's more suited here now.

Here's some new concept art for the Paramount theme park in London:

53d62a3741b16-paramount-london.jpg

aparisi2274

I made a thread about the park a while back, but I feel it's more suited here now.

Wow, that looks pretty good! Any links on what types of themed lands there will be? Or rides they want to build?

gsrjedi

We just booked a trip to WDW in November with a day at Uni, so I'm hoping the Gringotts line stays fairly short then. Really excited.

I thought Mantis was a shitty experience when I rode it a month ago, so I welcome any improvement whether it's a new ride or new trains. The layout is fine, but the stand-up gimmick ruined it.

aparisi2274

We just booked a trip to WDW in November with a day at Uni, so I'm hoping the Gringotts line stays fairly short then. Really excited.

If your trip in Nov is during a time when everyone is working, or in school, then the lines should be pretty short!

I thought Mantis was a shitty experience when I rode it a month ago, so I welcome any improvement whether it's a new ride or new trains. The layout is fine, but the stand-up gimmick ruined it.

It's definitely a cool layout. I love the little dip turn before that first drop.

But I can't believe they failed to realize how awful those bicycle seats were before the ride opened back in the 90s. Pure torture for one's Charlie Browns.

javac

So I'm not into roller coasters, but a few days ago I went to Flamingo Land which is a theme park in the UK. At first I was apprehensive to go on anything as prior to this visit I had only had ridden one coaster pretty much, Corkscrew. However at the end of the day I had ridden a few of the big ones there and enjoyed myself,

The first ride I went on was one called Hero.

Designed and engineered by internationally renowned coaster guru, Werner Stengel, our latest attraction creates an essential experience for extreme coaster fans everywhere!

Representing an investment of £8m, Hero delivers the sensation of free flight like never before. Climb aboard and join your fellow cosmonauts for a suspended side-by-side journey delivering a truly unobstructed front seat view. And, as you climb the unique corkscrew to the launch platform, be sure to prepare for swooping turns, breathtaking drops and two heartline inversions, creating the incredible sensation of zero gravity.
Factsheet
Length: 1293 Feet
Height: 66 Feet
Speed: 25 mph
Manufacturer: Zamperla
It was a pretty cool ride I have to say. I 'sat' on the outer-side so it felt a bit rough but over all I liked it.

Next I went on Kumali. This was the big one. It's probably small fry for all of you but for me this was some next level stuff :p

For extreme ride fans this is a real showstopper, with its unique custom layout and a breathtaking top speed of 56mph. Featuring a total of four inversions, you’ll experience up to 4.7g from a mix of our 87 foot tall loop, 55 foot Zero-G roll and the Cobra Roll, or Boomerang, which suspends you over one of our lakes at a height of 75 feet!

To complete this world-class attraction, African theming and dedicated music composed by Electric Street Police makes it look and sound as good as the adrenaline rush it’s guaranteed to deliver.
Factsheet
Length: 2202 Feet 9 Inches
Height: 117 Feet 9 Inches
Drop: 111 Feet 9 Inches
Speed: 56 mph
Manufacturer: Vekoma

After that I went on Cliff Hanger which was the one I was most fearing.

As the UK’s only S&S combo tower vertical drop ride, and one of the tallest in Europe, you just can’t miss it. However, don’t be fooled, there’s more than just ups and downs in store for the fearless. Cliff Hanger’s power to exceed the speed of gravity for a freefall launch, multiple modes and a total lack of telltale sounds or movement means you’ll never quite know what’s going to happen or quite when or where your journey will end.
Factsheet
Height: 180 Feet
Manufacturer: S&S

Finally last but not least was Velocity. This was really fun.

On the UK’s first and only motorbike launch coaster you’ll get to ride at lightning speeds on the tallest and fastest creation of its kind in the world! Accelerating from 0-60mph in just 2.8 seconds and hurtling through over 2000 feet of hairpin turns, dramatic inclines and spine tingling falls, this is a real must for true coaster fans everywhere!

Velocity features a unique restraint design created specifically for Flamingo Land Resort. This leaves your upper body to move freely, so it’s time to hold on tight, as you get ready for the thrill of a lifetime.
Factsheet
Length: 2109 Feet 7 Inches
Height: 57 Feet
Speed: 54 mph
Manufacturer: Vekoma

Overall I enjoyed them a lot! I'm sure these are unimpressive among these parts but for me these were just insane and I'm surprised I even went on them! Hopefully next year I can go to some more theme parks and enjoy some more stuff! Sorry for the large post, just didn't know if these rides were well known here so I thought I'd post a bit about them!

So Paramount is getting back into the theme park biz?

They sold off all of their American parks (most notably Kings Island) about a decade ago.

The only reason they died in the US is because they got handed off to CBS when Viacom took over and CBS did not want to operate theme parks. Perhaps under new management, they want to try again in Europe.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So was at Universal today and everything was about 20 mins or less aside from Gringotts. And since I was there by myself, just about every ride including Gringotts was more or a less a walk on.

Mantis will most likely receive sitdown/floorless trains. A section of the track appeared painted in test colors for a new coloring scheme.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So was at Epcot today and went on just about every attraction they had. Test Track was cool but was underwhelming after riding Radiator Springs Racers. Soarin was still Soarin, awesome ride but same thing as California Adventure and I live in the state they fly through lol. Maelstrom was nice ride but it's just really short, liked the story though. Aside from those, Epcot really does having nothing to do aside from seeing things and eating food.

Top Bottom