• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Nelo Ice

Banned
So working at WDW for the college program and it is amazing how many people here have not been to Disneyland or just automatically think WDW is better due to the size. They completely ignore all the problems WDW is having like lack of attractions, terribad maintenance etc. I'm enjoying myself here but damn if I don't miss being back home and going to Disneyland. All this time I thought I was missing out so badly but really I'm quite glad to live in California and have easy access to Disneyland. With that said I do enjoy the bevy of food options here with the World Showcase and all the resorts along with 4 parks. Sadly Disneyland can't compete with that. But as far as a pure parks go I'm gonna have to give the edge to DLR.

zeemumu

So working at WDW for the college program and it is amazing how many people here have not been to Disneyland or just automatically think WDW is better due to the size. They completely ignore all the problems WDW is having like lack of attractions, terribad maintenance etc. I'm enjoying myself here but damn if I don't miss being back home and going to Disneyland. All this time I thought I was missing out so badly but really I'm quite glad to live in California and have easy access to Disneyland. With that said I do enjoy the bevy of food options here with the World Showcase and all the resorts along with 4 parks. Sadly Disneyland can't compete with that. But as far as a pure parks go I'm gonna have to give the edge to DLR.

I've always wanted to do that program but I don't know if they allow it for computer science majors. What major are you doing it for?

I ended up going to Universal Studios Hollywood Halloween Horror Nights on Saturday. It was a pretty interesting experience. The special were all really good, which is to be expected, and their use of different smells was really good. They got that smell of room full of corpses just right. There were about 8 scary attractions total and I managed to get through 7 before I left because the 8th had an incredibly long line. Most of the regular rides were still up and running. My only complaint is that there weren't that many scareactors roaming the park outside of the mazes, but I'm going back with a friend later in the month so I'll see if they've improved on that at all.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I've always wanted to do that program but I don't know if they allow it for computer science majors. What major are you doing it for?

I put CS actually since I was back in community college for it but still figuring out my major. But really your major doesn't matter. As long as you're in a college at all while applying you're eligible. It's not really an academic program. It's more of a work program, thus more cheap labor for Disney.

zeemumu

I put CS actually since I was back in community college for it but still figuring out my major. But really your major doesn't matter. As long as you're in a college at all while applying you're eligible. It's not really an academic program. It's more of a work program, thus more cheap labor for Disney.

Ah okay. What have they been having you do?

Nelo Ice

Banned
Ah okay. What have they been having you do?

I'm custodial, so for the most part I just stand around and talk to people. Unless there's something to sweep. There's really not much work to do until you have to either take out trash or clean restrooms depending on your shift lol.

zeemumu

I'm custodial, so for the most part I just stand around and talk to people. Unless there's something to sweep. There's really not much work to do until you have to either take out trash or clean restrooms depending on your shift lol.

Even though you're a computer science major? So your job there isn't major specific?

Nelo Ice

Banned
Even though you're a computer science major? So your job there isn't major specific?

Again it's not really an academic program. You could put any random major. As long as you're in school at the time of applying you're eligible. And unless you're hospitality or entertainment or something then all of the jobs don't really apply to any major. You're really just doing a low skilled job for min wage. They really don't care what your major is.

If you wanted to do a CS type job then that's what the professinal internships are for. The college program is more for the experience and getting your foot in the door at Disney. Otherwise don't go in expecting it to be of any use for you academically.

Yeah, that has always been the case. Even if they get around to visiting DLR, a lot of WDW "veterans" hamper their experience with certain expectations. Even the sight of Sleeping Beauty castle can cause a pretty large feeling of disappointment. It can happen the same way with DLR vets though. My first experience at WDW was less than stellar, but now I treat both resorts differently in how I approach my day. People tend to accentuate the anecdotal experiences as well.

muteki

Disneyland and WDW are like apples and oranges to me. It's hard to really compare them. Circumstances at DL have resulted in a much better park overall, though both sides have had their ups and downs.

How is College Program life? I regret not doing it when I was in school. Do you live in one of the Disney-owned apartments?

Nelo Ice

Banned
Disneyland and WDW are like apples and oranges to me. It's hard to really compare them. Circumstances at DL have resulted in a much better park overall, though both sides have had their ups and downs.

How is College Program life? I regret not doing it when I was in school. Do you live in one of the Disney-owned apartments?

Well Disney doesn't own the apartments. I believe they rent them or something but there's 4 complexes. And College Program life is pretty fun. It's really what you make of it and so far I'm having a blast. Have made friends from around the world and of course I am not complaining about the fact that I'm surrounded by 95% women lol.

Goldrusher

l6iLjfj.jpg

Tricktrack RMC-style.

I also worked there and I haven't been to DL either. Everyone already says DL> MK no contest there. Which version of Fantasmic do you like better? Also I'd love to see California Adventure. Some really cool stuff there I hear. Although, WDW is just pure immersion, even all the resorts you can visit at any time. Some of my most fun was hanging with friends at World Showcase and especially during Wine and Food festival.

I also worked there and I haven't been to DL either. Everyone already says DL> MK no contest there. Which version of Fantasmic do you like better? Also I'd love to see California Adventure. Some really cool stuff there I hear. Although, WDW is just pure immersion, even all the resorts you can visit at any time. Some of my most fun was hanging with friends at World Showcase and especially during Wine and Food festival.

Fantasmic is better in DL IMO but you have to stand. No stadium seating unlike at WDW.

Another thing that sucks about Fantasmic at Hollywood Studios is pretty far down a long passageway. Like, long enough to be annoying when it starts pouring and there's no cover :(

lol That can be nice at times because at DL, F! makes the narrow walkways even more crowded. Also late edit: I meant to say unlike at WDW, DL has no stadium seating lol. Like World of Color, you must stand. But yeah, for Fantasmic it comes down to having a better dragon, using the Mark Twain for the ending instead of a tiny boat, and Peter Pan scene > Pocahontas scene.

brerwolfe

Has anyone done Halloween Horror Nights at Universal yet? I took my niece last weekend and had a pretty good time. The house based on the film "Halloween" was easily my favorite, but they were all pretty good.

Anyone else?

Nelo Ice

Banned
lol That can be nice at times because at DL, F! makes the narrow walkways even more crowded. Also late edit: I meant to say unlike at WDW, DL has no stadium seating lol. Like World of Color, you must stand. But yeah, for Fantasmic it comes down to having a better dragon, using the Mark Twain for the ending instead of a tiny boat, and Peter Pan scene > Pocahontas scene.

Yep that about sums up my thoughts on DL Fantasmic>WDW Fantasmic. And it's just not the same having it on that stage rather than Tom Sawyers Island.

zeemumu

Has anyone done Halloween Horror Nights at Universal yet? I took my niece last weekend and had a pretty good time. The house based on the film "Halloween" was easily my favorite, but they were all pretty good.

Anyone else?

I did, but I did the one on Hollywood, not Orlando. I didn't take pictures in the mazes because I didn't want to drop my phone. Orlando typically does a better job than Hollywood on the scare zones but the mazes are probably the same on terms of quality. The scarezones did feel a little too spread out, with the purge at the entrance and the others in the 3 furthest corners of the park. But then again, a large chunk of the park is closed for Harry Potter construction.

I went in early and managed to get through everything except American Werewolf in London. The Klownz 3D maze made me sick because they somehow managed to capture the smell of the worst gas station bathroom that you could ever possibly imagine for the vomit room scene. The terror tram is always fun. Walking through Bates Motel and The War of the Worlds set. The Walking Dead, AVP, and Face/Off mazes had incredible detail and were pretty good. I almost got throat punche'd in Dracula in the pitch black tunnel where the only light is the exit of the other side. Then there was From Dusk to Dawn. I don't know what to think of that one outside of the really cool set design. I'm going back with a friend soon and I'm also planning to do Knotts Halloween Haunt.

That sounds so cool, I don't wanna watch it on youtube and spoil it though. You guys get World of Color, we get...Illuminations :( Which can be cool, especially for the extra celebrations, but I hear WoC is fantastic, what say you?

That sounds so cool, I don't wanna watch it on youtube and spoil it though. You guys get World of Color, we get...Illuminations :( Which can be cool, especially for the extra celebrations, but I hear WoC is fantastic, what say you?

Yeah, I love it when Disney goes a little overboard with Illuminations for those special occasions. Feeling the ground shake because of fireworks is always fun.

WoC is my favorite nighttime show, though. I know some people prefer F! because WoC doesn't have much of a story to it. It's more like a music video with your favorite (mostly current) Disney movies, but each scene is impressive and fun and is enjoyable from start to finish. I see it at least once everytime I'm down there. The winter version even uses a different set of background lights making the show ridiculously bright and colorful. It's great stuff.

I was at Epcot for both it's 25th and 30th anniversary celebrations. It's absolute chaos, and the best part is you get the full Illuminations show and then the extra, which is crazier than the show, of course. I believe the 25th might have been a bit better, but it was awesome.

Thanks for the WoC impressions. I wonder if that'll come to WDW at some point too like Fantamsic? Would be sad if it's exclusive, but that would give me more incentive to finally visit DL ;o

Thanks!! Having been to both now, I can say with 100% certainty that DisneySea is the nicest Disney park I have ever step foot in.

Just wanted to ask one thing. When you were to Tokyo Disneyland does it feel like a park build on a parking lot when you are there?

I ask this becuase all of the shots I have seen, the way the floor is distributed (mostly flat, dull colors, no height variation) and the theme (really aparent in tomorrowland), it's the sensation it gives me. And its not the only japanese theme park that feels that way, most of them just look like parking lots with some rides and theming plucked into them randomly. I know its not so strange for a normal theme park, but its really jarring to see the same thing at a disneyland park.
Tomorrowland%20Entrance%203.jpg

tomrktctr.jpg

For example the sidewalks not having elevation, and the patterns of the floors.
The shots ive seen from DisneySEA dont feel that way and look millions of times better (as you said is one of nicest disney parks and its not surprise).
I dunno, maybe it doesnt feel that way when you are IN the park.

And thanks about the posts of the disney parks at tokyo, they are really infomative.

zeemumu

I go every year with my friends! It's a tradition.

(I do the Hollywood one). Really excited... this year we're going to watch The Purge before going to the park! Hopefully that will make it scarier.

I've already been this year but I'm supposed to be going back with a friend soon.

aparisi2274

Just wanted to ask one thing. When you were to Tokyo Disneyland does it feel like a park build on a parking lot when you are there?

I ask this becuase all of the shots I have seen, the way the floor is distributed (mostly flat, dull colors, no height variation) and the theme (really aparent in tomorrowland), it's the sensation it gives me. And its not the only japanese theme park that feels that way, most of them just look like parking lots with some rides and theming plucked into them randomly. I know its not so strange for a normal theme park, but its really jarring to see the same thing at a disneyland park.

tomrktctr.jpg

The shots ive seen from DisneySEA dont feel that way and look millions of times better (as you said is one of nicest disney parks and its not surprise).

And thanks about the posts of the disney parks at tokyo, they are really infomative.

I am not sure, never really looked...

I mean TDL is 25yrs old, so they may have built it on some parcel of land that was more flat than it was rocky...

Xun

Chances are it'll be a watered down Cars Land with just an inferior value engineered version of RSR.
Yeah, that or Toy Story Land are likely at this point.

A shame but not at all surprising from TDO.

tomrktctr.jpg

Speaking of TDO they were attempting to flatten the curbs in the Magic Kingdom so we would've seen something similar down Main Street, U.S.A., but luckily that project seems to have failed completely thanks to the utilidors.

I am not sure, never really looked...

I mean TDL is 25yrs old, so they may have built it on some parcel of land that was more flat than it was rocky...

Oh well, I know its me nitpicking. lol
I dont think its becuase its old to be honest (DL and MK are older and still dont look like a parking lot), it seems its something about how japan makes theme parks.

Speaking of TDO they were attempting to flatten the curbs in the Magic Kingdom so we would've seen something similar down Main Street, U.S.A., but luckily that project seems to have failed completely thanks to the utilidors.

Thank god for that. Flatten the curbs would make it less realistic.

Goldrusher

Huge Disneyland Paris news!

Euro Disney S.C.A. announces a proposal for a €1 billion recapitalization

Overall rationale
The proposal is designed to improve the financial position of Euro Disney and enable it to continue investing in the guest experience.

Context of the operation
Challenging economic conditions in Europe coupled with Euro Disney’s debt burden have negatively impacted its financial performance. Due to these factors, Euro Disney has been constrained in its ability to make investments in Disneyland Paris

Details of the proposal
• Cash infusion of approximately 420 million euros, made or guaranteed by Disney through capital increases of Euro Disney S.C.A. and of its principal operating subsidiary;
• Conversion of 600 million euros of part of the debt owed to Disney into equity of Euro Disney S.C.A. and of its principal operating subsidiary;
• Deferral of all amortization payments of loans granted by Disney until revised maturity in 2024 (currently 2028); and
• Consolidation of the existing lines of credit granted by Disney maturing in 2014 (which has been already extended by Disney to 2015), 2017 and 2018 into a single 350 million euros revolving credit facility maturing in 2023​

Objectives of the proposal
• Improve the cash position of the Euro Disney Group by approximately 250 million euros;
• Reduce the Euro Disney Group’s indebtedness, currently exclusively owed to Disney, from 1,748 million euros to 998 million euros, reducing its net leverage ratio from approximately 15x to 6x;
• Improve the Euro Disney Group’s liquidity through interest savings and deferral of amortization of loans until final repayment in 2024.​

Parties involved
Euro Disney S.C.A. shareholders would have an opportunity to participate in the capital increases of Euro Disney S.C.A. alongside with Disney, at the same price.
As a result of the contemplated capital increases of Euro Disney S.C.A. and in accordance with applicable regulations, Disney would be required to launch a tender offer on Euro Disney S.C.A. shares.
Euro Disney S.C.A.’s Supervisory Board has expressed unanimous support for this proposal.

Indicative Timing of the operation and milestones
After the information and consultation of the Workers’ Council and the Shareholders’ approval during the general meeting of ED S.C.A.’s shareholders early 2015, the transactions contemplated by the proposal are expected to be completed in the first semester of calendar 2015.

http://timon.disneylandparis.com/corporate/en/

Nelo Ice

Banned
So looks like I'm going to Busch Gardens Tampa this Friday. What's the cheapest price for tix? Looked it up and looks like $65 is the cheapest I'll get. Besides that I'm looking at $95 for what amounts to an annual pass or the play n dine ticket which includes 1 day admission and free dining all day.

brerwolfe

Check and see if your Disney ID gets you any discount. Busch Gardens gives me free park access with my Universal ID, but Disney doesn't really play well with others I guess. Still worth a look.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Check and see if your Disney ID gets you any discount. Busch Gardens gives me free park access with my Universal ID, but Disney doesn't really play well with others I guess. Still worth a look.

That just reminded me we do get a discount into Busch Gardens but no idea how much it is.
Edit: And it looks like it's cheaper for us to buy online lol....

Btw so you work at Universal? How much is your discount for Horror nights? Considering getting a frequent fear pass especially if I can get one at a good discount. Right now I only have the power pass so doesn't look like I'll get a good discount.

aparisi2274

Disney tests FastPass only for Toy Story ride

Visitors to Disney's Hollywood Studios over the next few days must make reservations with FastPass+ to ride Toy Story Mania.

Walt Disney World is running a test through Thursday the requires FastPass+ to board the popular ride. The theme park tried a similar experiment recently for a meet-and-greet with Anna and Elsa of "Frozen" at the Magic Kingdom.

Disney is handing out additional FastPasses at Hollywood Studios to meet demand, spokeswoman Marilyn Waters said. She would not disclose numbers.

Under the FastPass system, which Disney revamped as part of its MyMagic+ technology project, visitors can reserve times for rides online or at kiosks in the parks.

Major theme parks have not required reservations for rides, but that could change as technology evolves.

"Everybody's striving to improve the flow of the guest. That's the wave of the future in our industry," said Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services. "It would not surprise me within the next 10 years that we see rides that are totally reserved."

Requiring passes for rides with long waits could ease frustration, said John Gerner, founder of Leisure Business Advisors in Richmond, Va.

"If visitors have to wait more than an hour, It almost doesn't matter how good the ride is – they're upset," Gerner said.

On the other hand, Disney risks angering guests who don't snatch up FastPasses reservations before they run out.

"You're essentially making people reserve in advance and are taking away this really long line at the scene," Gerner said. "The trade-off is that people willing to wait six hours don't get to do so."

I'm fine with it for the very popular rides, but for the less popular rides? Not so happy with the idea of having to micromanage every moment of a vacation- I think spontaneity and a relaxed atmosphere are important to enjoying a vacation.

The test sounded like a good idea to Kathy Burstein of Delray Beach. She used FastPass last year riding Toy Story with her two young sons to avoid long lines.

"If it's already the best way to get on anyway, I don't really see the harm in requiring it," she said. "Yeah, it does take away the spontaneity, but realistically, how much spontaneity at Disney do you have any way if you're trying to hit all these rides?"

Everyone forgets the days of no Fastpass when lines were short because everyone had the same priority.

Hit Standby on a busy day 45 minutes after opening and then do the same thing 4 hours later when Fastpass++, - and everything else is running and even with the same number of people in Standby the line moves at best half as fast.

zeemumu

I went to DCA/DL back in June, on a SATURDAY, and at like 2pm, the line for California Screamin was 5min. I was in shock!

It's really never that long a line despite being one of the best rides. I'm always surprised. On the other side I've never been in the actual line for Radiator Springs Racers. I've lucked out and gotten some fastpasses from a passing couple who decided not to go and I've done the single rider line but I have never waited in the full line.

Nelo Ice

Banned
It's really never that long a line despite being one of the best rides. I'm always surprised. On the other side I've never been in the actual line for Radiator Springs Racers. I've lucked out and gotten some fastpasses from a passing couple who decided not to go and I've done the single rider line but I have never waited in the full line.

Lol same here. Granted have only been once since it opened but for all 3 days me and my friends just said nope to the standby queue and did single rider every time.

zeemumu

Lol same here. Granted have only been once since it opened but for all 3 days me and my friends just said nope to the standby queue and did single rider every time.

That is the only way. You will DIE in that line if you try to walk in normally. It doesn't matter if you and your friends aren't in the same car. You'll most likely end up racing against each other.

I wish the Fantasyland rides had fastpasses. I have ridden Peter Pan exactly once in my entire extensive Disneyland history because the wait ridiculous for such a short ride.

Nelo Ice

Banned
That is the only way. You will DIE in that line if you try to walk in normally. It doesn't matter if you and your friends aren't in the same car. You'll most likely end up racing against each other.

I wish the Fantasyland rides had fastpasses. I have ridden Peter Pan exactly once in my entire extensive Disneyland history because the wait ridiculous for such a short ride.

I still haven't been on the Disneyland version. Got to ride the WDW one though since I had a fastpass.

I still haven't been on the Disneyland version. Got to ride the WDW one though since I had a fastpass.

Yeah it's always so consistently long at Disneyland even during the off season. I think the only difference is the first Neverland scene. I like it just a tad more at DL, but I've been on it way more times at WDW.

overcast

I've been on Peter Pan 4 times in my few years of being a Disneyland goer, just alway 30+. Wish I could go on Midway Mania more, but that is always 45+.

Going this Friday/Sunday, renewing my pass. I can renew my pass with the monthly payment there right?

brerwolfe

That just reminded me we do get a discount into Busch Gardens but no idea how much it is.
Edit: And it looks like it's cheaper for us to buy online lol....

Btw so you work at Universal? How much is your discount for Horror nights? Considering getting a frequent fear pass especially if I can get one at a good discount. Right now I only have the power pass so doesn't look like I'll get a good discount.

I work at Blue Man, so I'm a 3rd party Universal employee. Regardless, our prices on the 3 different frequent fear passes are $62, $73 and $88, but I'm out of town for my real job for the next 3 weeks.

Top Bottom