• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

zeemumu

The Cars Land at CA is built to scale, so I assume any other Cars land would be as well.
While the accuracy is impressive, only Radiator Springs Racers is really fun. The rest is just okay.

The Cars Land at CA is built to scale, so I assume any other Cars land would be as well.
While the accuracy is impressive, only Radiator Springs Racers is really fun. The rest is just okay.
I like Maters! Luigis used to be fun until they got rid of the beach balls. I only do it if there is almost no one else and me and my friends can get our own tires. Provides some good laughs when someone gets pinned by empty tires.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Looks like Hatbox Ghost will be back.
http://micechat.com/84501-disneyland-hatbox-ghost/

Also yes after being at Disney World, this is so true.
"As we mentioned earlier, there are many dedicated senior managers in TDA who have worked at Disneyland for decades who want to see the park at its best for the Diamond Celebration. Meanwhile, the bosses in Team Disney Orlando scratch their heads at all this money and energy their Anaheim peers pour into showmanship and upkeep."

Xun

Hollywood Studios in Florida, probably. Disneyland Anaheim is the hardest to improve because of space and nostalgia.

But I was really underwhelmed by Hollywood Studios. There's not much there. I've only been to the USA parks wo I can't speak for the rest.
I think overcast was referring to the 'Magic Kingdom' style parks, but I definitely agree that Hollywood Studios is a mess.

It'll be completely rebranded/refocused soon anyway, so hopefully we'll see DCA-like improvements coming to it.

To answer overcast I think the Magic Kingdom is in a dire state, at least in terms of charm.

Things are slowly changing however, but TDO has treated the park badly over the years.

overcast

I see.. Seems like Disney Florida needs to step it up in general. Probably looks worse for them too since it seems Universal is killing it completely.
I like Mater, pretty decent ride. Radiator Racers is fantastic, but it's always 75+ wait.

minx

Shrug. I like a Hollywood Studios. It has 4 rides than are in my top 10. Tower of Terror, Toy Story, Star Wars, and RB.

So, what's considered the poorest Disneyland? Which one do you guys feel needs the most work?

I've only been to Disneyland Anaheim and they probably don't need to do much (unfortunately) because they have a stranglehold in California.

Walt Disney Studios in Paris.
Whoever says any other disney park, they obviously haven't been to this park (easy as its not one of the most near parks for the majority of people).

Thanks god it seems they are going to renovate it with marvel land and a bunch of restructures.

The park is worse than the original California Adventure, if you've been to that, just think how bad that can be.

EDIT: Maybe a visual is needed:
Disney-Studios-Paris.png

Now imagine this at a smaller scale, because it still seems too big from the map. Theming feels cheap as hell and Studio Tram Tour is horrible. It has 3 shows, 2 coasters, 1 real ride, 1 semi show-ride and a mini land with carnival rides, and the majority of them are not top notch or better in other disney parks. Its a poor excuse for a park. Full stop.

brerwolfe

Ferris wheels have been popping up everywhere it seems. I really don't understand the appeal.
To be fair, I don't hate the idea. London Eye overlooks the river Thames and you can see parliament and other London landmarks. I haven't seen the placement of the Vegas wheel, but I assume it has views of the strip you can't get anywhere else. The one in Atlanta is in the middle of downtown which seems silly in a "can't see the forest from the trees" kind of way, whereas the wheel at Navy Pier in Chicago has perfect views of downtown.

The one being built in Orlando is near nothing substantial. It's right next to a major highway with views of nearby hotels and maybe the roof of the convention center. Awesome.

When I get home next week I'll try and get my quadcopter over there and fly it next to the wheel so I can try and see what the developer was looking at when he picked the location, because driving by I'm like, "cool, I can see 12 hotels from here."

zeemumu

I think overcast was referring to the 'Magic Kingdom' style parks, but I definitely agree that Hollywood Studios is a mess.

Oh. Sorry, I misunderstood. I'm gonna go with Florida's Magic Kingdom, then. It probably has a better Haunted Mansion, and I am very jealous that they have an official Haunted Mansion store while Anaheim only gets a Frozen store, but something about that park feels...off. I guess they're a lot less reluctant to move stuff around in the Florida parks than they are in the Anaheim one because of less land restrictions and because it's not the original so it won't anger the ghost of Walt.

But once again, I can't speak for the parks in other countries because I've only been to the ones in the US. Magic Kingdom in Florida was the first one that I ever went to because it was closer to where I lived at the time.

Xun

Oh. Sorry, I misunderstood. I'm gonna go with Florida's Magic Kingdom, then. It probably has a better Haunted Mansion, and I am very jealous that they have an official Haunted Mansion store while Anaheim only gets a Frozen store, but something about that park feels...off. I guess they're a lot less reluctant to move stuff around in the Florida parks than they are in the Anaheim one because of less land restrictions and because it's not the original so it won't anger the ghost of Walt.

But once again, I can't speak for the parks in other countries because I've only been to the ones in the US. Magic Kingdom in Florida was the first one that I ever went to because it was closer to where I lived at the time.
My issue with the Magic kingdom isn't even the rides, but rather the general theming.

The park is a concrete mess nowadays, which is incredibly apparent in the "Enchanted Forest" of New Fantasyland and Main Street.

A comparison:

31_magic_kingdom_1990-2000_-_main_street_usa.jpg

magic-kingdom-crowds.jpg

My issue with the Magic kingdom isn't even the rides, but rather the general theming.

The park is a concrete mess nowadays, which is incredibly apparent in the "Enchanted Forest" of New Fantasyland and Main Street.

A comparison:

31_magic_kingdom_1990-2000_-_main_street_usa.jpg

magic-kingdom-crowds.jpg

I dont know, did the colors really changed that much or thats only becuase of the photo. If they did repaint it, yeah, it looks much worse than the original.

Xun

I dont know, did the colors really changed that much or thats only becuase of the photo. If they did repaint it, yeah, it looks much worse than the original.
That particular picture is a bit over saturated, and the park was actually more muted in colour in the past (which in my opinion looks much better).

4562298-9564275-thumbnail.jpg

caramac

To be fair, I don't hate the idea. London Eye overlooks the river Thames and you can see parliament and other London landmarks. I haven't seen the placement of the Vegas wheel, but I assume it has views of the strip you can't get anywhere else. The one in Atlanta is in the middle of downtown which seems silly in a "can't see the forest from the trees" kind of way, whereas the wheel at Navy Pier in Chicago has perfect views of downtown.

The one being built in Orlando is near nothing substantial. It's right next to a major highway with views of nearby hotels and maybe the roof of the convention center. Awesome.

When I get home next week I'll try and get my quadcopter over there and fly it next to the wheel so I can try and see what the developer was looking at when he picked the location, because driving by I'm like, "cool, I can see 12 hotels from here."

Hopefully it will do ok. At least its another attraction and the land desperately needed development. How long since the Mercado was flattened?

Picking out Disney, Universal and downtown Orlando will be no problem, and you may even see as far as the east coast on a clear day.

That particular picture is a bit over saturated, and the park was actually more muted in colour in the past (which in my opinion looks much better).

4562298-9564275-thumbnail.jpg

I like both of those photos (havent been there of course). I think I like more the tent colors of the original though photo though.

RayStorm

Now imagine this at a smaller scale, because it still seems too big from the map. Theming feels cheap as hell and Studio Tram Tour is horrible. It has 3 shows, 2 coasters, 1 real ride, 1 semi show-ride and a mini land with carnival rides, and the majority of them are not top notch or better in other disney parks. Its a poor excuse for a park. Full stop.

I can't disagree with anything you said, but I do like the theming of the front lot, Studio 1 and the ToT area. And the Pixar-area is themed okay as well (and that's with me having last been there in 2013).

muteki

It always saddens me to see what River Country has turned into...
The pictures of the restroom signs in Germany really show how much WS has changed.

Heading down to FL tomorrow morning. First time with my son (1 year old) and mother in law, this will be interesting!

I can't disagree with anything you said, but I do like the theming of the front lot, Studio 1 and the ToT area. And the Pixar-area is themed okay as well (and that's with me having last been there in 2013).

Studio 1 is cool, but I dont think it can carry a park like buena vista street, main street, etc...
The problem I have with the ToT area is that its cheap as hell, most of the buildings are drawn and is really really small.

Yesterland.com has a ton of now and then images that really make you miss the olden times. Some stuff stays the same, some changes, some gets better, some gets worse.

http://www.yesterland.com/wsthennow1.html

I love that site.

brerwolfe

Heading down to FL tomorrow morning. First time with my son (1 year old) and mother in law, this will be interesting!

What are the plans? Not taking a 1-year-old to disney, right?

I'm flying home to Orlando in the morning, too. I think I might want to go visit Harry Potter land since I haven't seen it in what feels like months. Haven't been since I had the chance to ride Gringotts, just can't remember when that was.

Xun

A lot of stuff has just been announced for Tokyo Disneyland:

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/blog/pr141030/?adpcnt=7uK_2Ul

• Grand Circuit Raceway and Star Jets are being removed from Tomorrowland
  • it’s a small world will be remodeled and moved to the east portion of Fantasyland in the space currently occupied by Grand Circuit Raceway
  • Dumbo is being moved and reimagined to look like its Magic Kingdom counterpart (albeit a single version instead of the double)
  • Frozen will not be coming to Fantasyland; instead, it will make its way over to Tokyo DisneySea
  • The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Tangled, Dumbo and Alice in Wonderland will all be playing a key role in the redevelopment of Fantasyland
  • The original Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty meet and greets that were removed from early plans for Florida’s New Fantasyland appear to be included in Tokyo Disneyland’s Fantasyland
  • Alice in Wonderland plans that were rejected for Walt Disney World will find home in Tokyo Disneyland and will be the centerpiece of the Fantasyland expansion (we posted some of this artwork back in 2012, check it out here)
  • The expansion of Tokyo Disneyland’s Fantasyland will take its cue from New Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom in that it will include water features and heavy foresting
http://wdwnt.com/blog/2014/10/tokyo...ans-for-tokyo-disneyland-and-tokyo-disneysea/

It'll be interesting to see how much better New Fantasyland is in Tokyo.

My work is giving me a 18 day sabbatical that I have to use within the next year and I was given the idea to visit Japan. I started looking into TDL today but I'm still undecided.

aparisi2274

My work is giving me a 18 day sabbatical that I have to use within the next year and I was given the idea to visit Japan. I started looking into TDL today but I'm still undecided.

If you've been to either WDW or DL, then skip TDL, as its a mashup of both of those parks...

I do however strongly urge you to visit Tokyo DisneySea! That place is unlike any other Disney park out there! It is sooooooo nice!

gsrjedi

I was hoping to take a trip to Tokyo next year about this time. I wonder when they plan to start this & if there's going to be annoying construction.

Top Bottom