• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

LegoDad

Going to Universal Orlando next week for two days after a cruise but supposedly it's supposed to rain (80%). Now debating on going or not, we were originally only debating if we wanted a unlimited pass or not.

Going to Universal Orlando next week for two days after a cruise but supposedly it's supposed to rain (80%). Now debating on going or not, we were originally only debating if we wanted a unlimited pass or not.

It rains almost every day for about 60-90 minutes. Don't let it discourage you. I mean, as long as it isn't a tropical storm of anything.

aparisi2274

So was at Epcot today and went on just about every attraction they had. Test Track was cool but was underwhelming after riding Radiator Springs Racers. Soarin was still Soarin, awesome ride but same thing as California Adventure and I live in the state they fly through lol. Maelstrom was nice ride but it's just really short, liked the story though. Aside from those, Epcot really does having nothing to do aside from seeing things and eating food.

No Mission Space?

Nelo Ice

Banned
If by "notice a difference" you mean "throw up all over the place", then yes, move your head.

;)

Lol, yeah my roommate told to do that if I wanted to see the difference. I knew things would go wrong if I did that during the launch, that was like yeah now I now why they say not to do that.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Is Wizarding World of Harry Potter cool?

I tried to check it out but their website is flash and homie don't play that.

It's amazing. As Xtortionist will attest to, I nearly dropped to my knees when I first went to Diagon Alley just due to how amazing it was. Speaking of which I'll be back at Universal today.

Is Wizarding World of Harry Potter cool?

I tried to check it out but their website is flash and homie don't play that.

Diagon Alley is by far the best themed land in any park not named Tokyo DisneySEA and Hogsmeade is no slouch either. Also both of the lands' flagship rides are easily top 5 material.

It's amazing. As Xtortionist will attest to, I nearly dropped to my knees when I first went to Diagon Alley just due to how amazing it was. Speaking of which I'll be back at Universal today.

Going for water rides this time?

Nelo Ice

Banned
Diagon Alley is by far the best themed land in any park not named Tokyo DisneySEA and Hogsmeade is no slouch either. Also both of the lands' flagship rides are easily top 5 material.

Going for water rides this time?

Well going at opening and definitely riding Jurassic Park. Not sure about the rest of the water rides.

Well going at opening and definitely riding Jurassic Park. Not sure about the rest of the water rides.

If you're up for it, I would hit Dudley, Popeye, and JP in that order. You'd be going from highest waits to lowest, though they're all gonna be walk-ons if you get there early. Oh and be sure to check out the Kong construction between Dudley and Jurassic Park ;)

brerwolfe

Throw on a poncho and get your ass out there. As a local, I prefer going when it rains. Less people, shorter lines, and everything just looks cooler in the rain.

SmithnCo

Trust me, the rain is better than heat. It was still pretty hot out there yesterday, made me appreciate that sweet air conditioning in Knockturn, lol.

Lagoon Park in Utah today announced their record breaking coaster, Cannibal. This coaster will have the steepest drop in America when it is built at a 116 degree angle.

MH7QB0J.jpg

Stats:
Tower Height: 208 Feet
Track Length: 2,735 Feet
Ride Time: 2 ½ minutes
Maximum G Force: 4.2 G’s
Maximum Speed: 70 miles per hour
Maximum Inverted Loop: 140 Feet Tall
Riders Per Car: 12
Rider Capacity Per Hour: 1,200
Minimum Height to Ride: 46 to 48 inches, to be determined
Budget: $22 Million

Unique Ride Elements:
Vertical Lift
Inverted Loop
Diving Loop
Underground Tunnel
Exclusive thrill element to be announced at a later date.

Sounds like it'll be a hell of a ride. Lagoon needed something big, and this is big and unique because it's the largest project being designed and built by an independent park.

Lagoon Park in Utah today announced their record breaking coaster, Cannibal. This coaster will have the steepest drop in America when it is built at a 116 degree angle.

MH7QB0J.jpg

Sounds like it'll be a hell of a ride. Lagoon needed something big, and this is big and unique because it's the largest project being designed and built by an independent park.

Wow, sounds interesting! Lagoon hasn't done anything substantial in a long while.

SoCal has the best Standup, ever. Riddler's Revenge totally makes me understand standup coasters. Probably one of my favorites of all the loopers I've been on across the states.

zeemumu

SoCal has the best Standup, ever. Riddler's Revenge totally makes me understand standup coasters. Probably one of my favorites of all the loopers I've been on across the states.

Not when you get tricked into jumping/standing on your toes when the seats lock.

aparisi2274

Universal Orlando has just announced their 5th on site Hotel, the Loews Sapphire Falls. This new property is set to open in the summer of 2016, and have a Caribbean flair to it.

Here is some info and pics I got from insidethemagic.com

This morning Universal Orlando and Loews Hotels announced the new Sapphire Falls Resort to open in Summer 2016.

Featuring 1,000 guest rooms and suites amidst a Caribbean theme, the hotel’s centerpieces will be a tropical river and towering waterfall. Including 77 suites, Sapphire Falls will bring the number of on-site hotel rooms at Universal Orlando to 5,200

The hotel’s lobby will feature floor-to-ceiling windows unveiling the “island” view, along side a pool, waterslide, and sand beach. There will be a poolside bar and grill and full-service restaurant with Caribbean-style views too.

Sapphire Falls will be pet friendly, also offering a fitness center and sprawling convention space – Loews’ second largest – with 131,000 square feet of meeting and event space. An air-conditioned bridge will link it to the Royal Pacific Resort.

Guests of the hotel will also enjoy early park admission to Universal’s theme parks.

“Our guests repeatedly tell us that our Universal Orlando on-site hotels provide them a completely immersive vacation experience from the moment they enter our hotels and are transported to another place,” said Tom Williams, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Universal Parks & Resorts. “We look forward to bringing them yet another incredibly themed experience with the opening of Loews Sapphire Falls Resort.”

This will be the fifth on-site hotel for Universal Orlando when it opens in 2016. Reservations will be accepted in spring 2015.

sapphire-falls.jpg

1280x504_2610_00eb4f35d3b824d3ad86bf0599b017cd.jpg

jtb

Banned
how much land does Universal own in Orlando? will we ever see a third park there? seems like the two parks are getting pretty crowded right now

aparisi2274

how much land does Universal own in Orlando? will we ever see a third park there? seems like the two parks are getting pretty crowded right now

I am not sure of the total land acreage that they purchased, but this 5th hotel would give them a total of 5200 rooms, and I believe they still have room for a 3rd park.

brerwolfe

No idea what other property they own around the area, but this is the map of the Universal Orlando Resort.

universalproperty_zps1bde6769.jpg

There wouldn't be another park built onto the property, but it's kind of disappointing that they keep building new hotels instead of other attractions.

brerwolfe

it's kind of disappointing that they keep building new hotels instead of other attractions.

I didn't mean to say this. What I meant was, instead of building new attractions on fresh land. I love that they're revamping the parks, but part of me would like them to create whole new areas to explore in addition to the continued facelifts.

I didn't mean to say this. What I meant was, instead of building new attractions on fresh land. I love that they're revamping the parks, but part of me would like them to create whole new areas to explore in addition to the continued facelifts.

A water park is in the pipeline. Not sure exactly where it's going but I'm pretty sure permits have already been filed.

zeemumu

I'd like some new Disneyland news. Haunted Mansion Holiday will be up by the end of the week so that'll be something for me to check out this weekend.

Xun

Universal Orlando has just announced their 5th on site Hotel, the Loews Sapphire Falls. This new property is set to open in the summer of 2016, and have a Caribbean flair to it.

Here is some info and pics I got from insidethemagic.com

sapphire-falls.jpg

1280x504_2610_00eb4f35d3b824d3ad86bf0599b017cd.jpg
Looking decent! It's good to see Universal stepping it up against Disney.

No idea what other property they own around the area, but this is the map of the Universal Orlando Resort.

universalproperty_zps1bde6769.jpg

There wouldn't be another park built onto the property, but it's kind of disappointing that they keep building new hotels instead of other attractions.
Knowing how well their Orlando parks are now doing I fully expect them to buy even more land up.

It seems inevitable at this point.

I'd like some new Disneyland news. Haunted Mansion Holiday will be up by the end of the week so that'll be something for me to check out this weekend.
Here's an update from today.

Nothing substantial though.

RayStorm

Knowing how well their Orlando parks are now doing I fully expect them to buy even more land up.

Going by the satellite image it looks like USO is in a rather densely populated suburb. Buying more adjacent land would be rather difficult then, wouldn't it?

Jag

The drawings show it on the waterway, so it needs to have water access to main dock.

The drawings show it on the waterway, so it needs to have water access to main dock.

It's going in the land mass directly to the right of Cabana Bay and left of Royal Pacific. It's the only place that really makes sense and it lines up with the road and intersection you can see in the concepts.

They'll need to extend the water way from Royal Pacific down to the new Hotel, but not very much. There's a road separating the two, so I guess they'll need to some kind of World Drive like underpass for it? The Plane at Royal Pacific also sits exactly where a water way would need to go.

Xun

The parks have been pretty dead lately. I was able to almost walk onto everything the last time I went.
Not a bad thing!

Going by the satellite image it looks like USO is in a rather densely populated suburb. Buying more adjacent land would be rather difficult then, wouldn't it?
It's been longly speculated, and last year a trustworthy source online stated it was going to happen.

It certainly seems impossible as of now though.

aparisi2274

If they were going to look to purchase more land for a 3rd gate, and they looked into buying up the residential areas, that's gonna cost them MILLIONS!!!!! And then they have to worry about if people take the buyout and leave...

I have a feeling they are not going to go that route...

If they were going to look to purchase more land for a 3rd gate, and they looked into buying up the residential areas, that's gonna cost them MILLIONS!!!!! And then they have to worry about if people take the buyout and leave...

I have a feeling they are not going to go that route...

Across I-4 around Wet n Wild is a fair bit of commercial property. There's also a lot of parking (employee?) / storage? between and behind the two parks that could be converted into a third gate as Disneyland did.

aparisi2274

Across I-4 around Wet n Wild is a fair bit of commercial property. There's also a lot of parking (employee?) / storage? between and behind the two parks that could be converted into a third gate as Disneyland did.

If they build across I4, then they need to build a light rail system to shuffle park guests over to the 3rd gate entrance, so that is another cost to factor in...

If they could somehow clear out A LOT Of the backlot offices and employee parking, maybe they could get a 3rd gate on the same plot of land as the other two parks...

zeemumu

Spent the day at Universal Studios Hollywood. They're setting up for Halloween. I feel bad for some of those little kids. I saw a mom and her kid walking behind me in the unfinished Dark Christmas scarezone and the kid started crying because there's a bunch of dead kid mannequins and props in that scarezone.

Top Bottom