• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

OchreHand

Sea world you can do in one day, it's not that big of a park.

Universal/IOA I usually get the one day-two park ticket and the express pass upgrade and I can do both parks in a single day.

If you really want to see both parks, do one day each, but you'll need some sort of 2 park pass if you want to ride the Hogwarts Express.

Sounds good. I'm a total newb when it comes to Universal so I have some reading to do. I'm also thinking of staying at the Hard Rock hotel and the express pass sounds enticing.

brerwolfe

Sounds good. I'm a total newb when it comes to Universal so I have some reading to do. I'm also thinking of staying at the Hard Rock hotel and the express pass sounds enticing.
I'm not 100%, but I think you get an express pass by default when you stay at an on-site hotel. Definitely look into that.

aparisi2274

I'm not 100%, but I think you get an express pass by default when you stay at an on-site hotel. Definitely look into that.

You only get the express pass when you stay at their deluxe hotels, which Hard Rock is part of.

Take a look at this link:

https://www.universalorlando.com/Hotels/On-site-Hotels-Comparison.aspx

It shows what you get when you stay on site.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think I'm going to Six Flags Fiesta Texas.

I used to be a member of ACE and loved the hell out of coasters, but my wife is not a fan.

But my brother in law and sister in law are, so I'll third wheel it with them.

Park is sort of janky though. I think they've added 3 coasters since I was in high school.

1 is a Batman: the Ride Clone (which also exists at SeaWorld San Antonio)
1 is a wild mouse
1 is a 4d ride.

So, lots of progress in 12 years :/

OchreHand

You only get the express pass when you stay at their deluxe hotels, which Hard Rock is part of.

Take a look at this link:

https://www.universalorlando.com/Hotels/On-site-Hotels-Comparison.aspx

It shows what you get when you stay on site.

Thanks guys. I also started reading some trip reports about Universal and I'm pretty excited. I still like Disney but after my 2012 trip I just don't feel the need to return just yet. Maybe once Star Wars or Avatar gets going that'll change.

thefro

Do you guys think 4 days is enough for Universal/IoA and SeaWorld? I haven't been to either parks since 1999. Originally I was planning on Disney next year but decided to skip it and try those other two parks instead.

That's plenty of time since you can easily do SeaWorld in a day, as others have mentioned.

You could probably see most everything at Universal/IOA in 2 days, especially if you have an express pass.

Two days is the perfect amount of time for Universal if you have express. Plenty of time to re-ride your favorites!

OchreHand, you're going to love it. Best theme park resort in the country next to Disneyland, and Universal's E-ticket lineup is second to none.

aparisi2274

some new aerial photos of the Kong building going up at IOA:

dsc_0022.jpg

dsc_0043.jpg

dsc_0044.jpg

http://jakeadventures.com/2014/12/15/king-kong-aerial-photo-update-universals-islands-of-adventure/

zeemumu

It may be something like the Hollywood version of the ride, but on a grander scale...

With a building that large? That would have to be an insane screen dome, but that sounds interesting. Something in the vein of the old Terminator 2 3-D show?

Ah okay, I found an article that says that it's going to be a dark ride, so I'm expecting a Transformers/Spiderman type ride.

aparisi2274

With a building that large? That would have to be an insane screen dome, but that sounds interesting. Something in the vein of the old Terminator 2 3-D show?

Ah okay, I found an article that says that it's going to be a dark ride, so I'm expecting a Transformers/Spiderman type ride.

The last rumor I heard was that it was going to be a dark ride, but with an AA version of Kong at the end...

Haven't heard much about Kong's ride tech. I've only really heard that the vehicles won't be too advanced...not in a bad way, but most of the innovation will be in other parts of the ride. RVs are also rumored to be very high capacity. The building is absolutely massive (saw it in person two days ago) so the ride taking place on two levels via elevators is a possibility. We know the ride will take place both indoors and outdoors, and feature 3D screens in some capacity. There is also said to be a substantial "scene" following unload; it isn't just a simple walk from unload to the exit, there's apparently going to be something pretty special there.

aparisi2274

Haven't heard much about Kong's ride tech. I've only really heard that the vehicles won't be too advanced...not in a bad way, but most of the innovation will be in other parts of the ride. RVs are also rumored to be very high capacity. The building is absolutely massive (saw it in person two days ago) so the ride taking place on two levels via elevators is a possibility. We know the ride will take place both indoors and outdoors, and feature 3D screens in some capacity. There is also said to be a substantial "scene" following unload; it isn't just a simple walk from unload to the exit, there's apparently going to be something pretty special there.

They should put the AA of Kong at the exit, so he can swipe at people

zeemumu

They should put the AA of Kong at the exit, so he can swipe at people

I feel like that would be underusing an AA kong. And people would pose for pictures and cause traffic.

I want to know what the story is. Cityscape or skull island, because if if it's skull island and theres a bug trench scene I'll be hesitant because screw that scene. It's one big NOPE.

A city one would be cool but I think kongfrontation did all you can do with that setting.

I feel like that would be underusing an AA kong. And people would pose for pictures and cause traffic.

I want to know what the story is. Cityscape or skull island, because if if it's skull island and theres a bug trench scene I'll be hesitant because screw that scene. It's one big NOPE.

A city one would be cool but I think kongfrontation did all you can do with that setting.

I've read nothing but Skull Island, and Orlando United's podcast specifically mentioned a bug scene a few months ago lol. The Orlando United forums has a great thread on the Kong attraction that you guys might want to check out. Probably the best source for Universal Orlando rumors.

Found the Kong notes I made from the podcast

-Two RVs dispatched in tandem. Front RV has 5-6 rows of guests with a live actor playing a driver. Previous intel from Hatetofly implied the driver will be killed or otherwise removed from the equation at a certain scene.

-Second RV has 7-8 rows of seats, no driver. Attraction aiming for very high capacity.

-Entrance will be where the JP T-Rex photo op is now. Guests will make their way underground in a highly-themed queue. Load outside.

-Scenes 1, 2, 3, all outdoors

-Transition from scene 3 (outdoors) to 4 (indoors) by passing through "the great wall", as in Jackson's film.

-Eventually transition back outside

-Epilogue-style scene after unload

-Scene 4A, many AAs attack vehicle from both sides, insect projections. After escaping, vehicle may lose control/traction, arrive in cave (bat cave). Said to be visually fucking amazing. Compares with Gringotts.

-Scene 5, arrival of Kong, immense number of projectors, far more than Transformers, comparable to Gringotts

-Impressive physical element in later scene that fans will appreciate

zeemumu

They'll probably do what Kong 3D does with the screens and make several large ones that are simultaneously playing two sides of the same area.

Spiderman and Transformers were actually really light on the animatronics. I don't think there are any aside from a few moving inanimate objects.

They'll probably do what Kong 3D does with the screens and make several large ones that are simultaneously playing two sides of the same area.

Spiderman and Transformers were actually really light on the animatronics. I don't think there are any aside from a few moving inanimate objects.

Having dual screen setups could be a really neat twist on the Spider-Man formula Universal's been playing with for a while. Would definitely give Kong a unique feel.

zeemumu

Having dual screen setups could be a really neat twist on the Spider-Man formula Universal's been playing with for a while. Would definitely give Kong a unique feel.

It really makes you feel like you're in the middle of it with a combination of hydraulics and screens, like Kong jumping from one screen, climbing over the tram, and showing up on the other screen.

I went on that like 4x in a row with my express pass because there is so much shit going on that you miss a lot of crap...

It's like Spider-man on crack.

Yeah I need to hit up some rerides. Basically hit everything once today. I plan on going at 7 am tomorrow for early entry. Gotta make it count!

If the ride breaks down do they call it breaking the bank?

It stopped while I was on it for about 5 minutes today. Though that felt like an eternity just sitting there. I think the ride vehicles got backed up.

Had the weirdest glitch on a different run today. At one point all of the low end sounds from the speakers died. Gringotts' audio is super bass heavy so it made the rest of the ride awkward as fuck.

brerwolfe

That's what happened to me both times I rode it, thought it was normal. Something to note, both times I was in row 6, vehicles on right.

That's what happened to me both times I rode it, thought it was normal. Something to note, both times I was in row 6, vehicles on right.

Shit man, that sucks. I have a lot of quibbles with Gringotts but audio is definitely not one of them. It's some of the best, if not the best I've heard on any ride. Hopefully it works for you sometime. I'm pretty sure it's a vehicle issue and not a general ride issue. I let the TM at the glasses drop off know, hopefully it moves up the chain.

Quick

Banned
Theme Park-GAF!

I hear there's Wifi at Universal Orlando - is this true? Is it free? And is it actually any good?

brerwolfe

It's just that facetime takes up decent bandwidth, and if a lot of people are doing facetime it ruins the bandwidth for other guests.

Like, I traveled 23 weeks this year for work and there's always someone on the airplane trying to watch Netflix, HBO Go or facetime with someone while in the air. It's unnecessary and ruins the experience for everyone else on the plane. That's all.

Nothing against Quick. I'm sure there are a hundred other ways I could've gotten that across without sounding like a dick.

brerwolfe

Gonna try and hit up Universal on Saturday. Hopefully the New Years tourists will have left ;)

I tried going on Monday without thinking about holiday crowds and it was awful. Despicable Me was 130 minute wait, Rockit was 75. That was the same day Gringotts broke down and they had to call in the fire department to get people off the ride.

I had snuck my wife's 11-year-old cousin into the park.. I think we were there for 15 minutes before I decided to get out and find something else to do.

Top Bottom