• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Goldrusher

As always, excellent IAAPA coverage at ThemeParkReview:

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69480

Some highlights:

- train of Twisted Colossus unveiled
- train of Fiesta Texas' Batman 4D
- train of Holiday World's Wing Coaster
- a first look at the Metropolis dark ride for Six Flags
- announcement of a brand new "switchback coaster" for ZDT in Texas
- announcement of a 420 ft (world's tallest) StarFlyer for Orlando

zeemumu

Disneyland did it's Annual Passholder event with the Winter kickoff party last night. That was my first time seeing the whole Christmas parade. I was not disappointed. Maybe pics when I get around to it.

Holy shit, this Skyscraper coaster looks insane!!!!

I need to ride this when it opens in Orlando in 2017!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gK5MWQ__Ns

Holy shit.

Seems like one of those crazy ideas people do on RCT2 and 3 where you dont think it would be feasible to do in real life.
And its a coaster that unlike others always have the momentum of the beggining, so it will go faster and faster as it goes down the building, with the last part probably getting incredible top speeds. I dont even see brakes in the building part, something that I think is a little crazy.

The maintenance of the coaster has to be insane.

Punto

Neo Member
They look really fun. I always enjoy watching those "unique" rides. Unfortunately watching them is as far as I go. Those fast rides scare me.

The best I´ve done is the Jurassic park ride drop in Hollywood and I almost chickened out, but forced myself because it looked so cool on youtube when I watched it from home. I was like "I travelled half across the world, I might not get to ride on of these ever again", also there was a little kid in the front so I figured if he´s not scared it can´t be that bad.

OH SHI- that skyscraper coaster. They would have to drug me or knock me out cold to force me on that thing.

andthebeatgoeson

Bought season passes to six flags over Georgia. We go once a year anyway and the second trip will pay for itself. It's a really good park with a lot of diverse big rides.

aparisi2274

Isn't it just new intro and outro videos?

The latest big news from Disney HQ is the signing of a new deal with Turner Classic Movies that will see more Disney classic films brought to the small screen on the TCM channel, but also see TCM put down as the sponsor for The Great Movie Ride as well as bring some updates and new content to the original park attraction.
According to the Orlando Sentinel the bulk of the changes will see a new classic movie scene added to the ride, where guests will have their picture taken, and TCM will work with Imagineering to give a makeover to the ride’s film-montage finale. Other changes will include new digital displays of classic movie posters as your board the ride, and TCM host Robert Osborne will appear in a pre-ride video somewhere in the queue as well as provide some new in-ride audio and narration about the classic scenes and film genres shown.
Look for the new edition of the ride to be ready by Spring 2015, though no word on when they will close it down to begin the work. If I had to guess, I’d say they would likely begin working inside the ride at the same time that they start to demolish and remove the giant hat standing in front of the building, so when it reopens, it will once again feature a clear view of the recreation of the classic Chinese Theater building from Hollywood.
While this may not be the dramatic overhaul that some were hoping would come to the Great Movie Ride someday, it is a step in the right direction that should update and restore this iconic dark ride experience.

Xun

I'm glad it's getting a makeover, and a much needed one at that.

I was half expecting them to destroy the theatre and put up a gigantic statue of Olaf.

OchreHand

Sounds like DHS is finally getting the attention it deserves. Also I don't mind the big ass hat but I think it should just be moved somewhere else. Maybe it should go in front of the animation studio kind of where Little Mermaid is?

Wow man. Why does every other disneyland seem cooler than Anaheim? Or is it cause I go there all the time? I still love it of course, the other ones seem so.. unbelievably vibrant.

Disneyland is still probably the GOAT "Magic Kingdom" style park. Others have their perks but none of them are as comprehensive and polished as the original. Maybe Tokyo Disneyland comes close...

Wow man. Why does every other disneyland seem cooler than Anaheim? Or is it cause I go there all the time? I still love it of course, the other ones seem so.. unbelievably vibrant.

I can assure you Anaheim Disneyland is better than Paris Disneyland. From people's opinion magic kingdom also seems to be worse, and from all the photos I have seen Tokyo Disneyland seems no match for it.

Xun

Disneyland is still probably the GOAT "Magic Kingdom" style park. Others have their perks but none of them are as comprehensive and polished as the original. Maybe Tokyo Disneyland comes close...
Pretty much.

There was a time when the Magic Kingdom was somewhat close to the original, but now? No way in hell.

What really sets Disneyland apart imo is the volume of attractions. It feels like you can't walk more than a few feet without finding something cool to do. There's no park more densely-packed with quality experiences anywhere.

What really sets Disneyland apart imo is the volume of attractions. It feels like you can't walk more than a few feet without finding something cool to do. There's no park more densely-packed with quality experiences anywhere.

And something that I noticed just as I entered it, is that it feels that the whole place has a history (like visiting an old monument or ancient buildings in eurpean city's, and im not talking only of Fantasyland, im talking about the whole park). Disneyland Paris feels more artificial (not that its bad, it just that it feels more toy made, if that makes sense). Of course one park has more than 50 years and the other 20, but I don't think thats the only thing that make them feel different.

aparisi2274

Not for nothing, DL and MK have about the same amount of attractions, it's just that DL has a smaller footprint, so imagineers needed to condense everything, which is why it feels as if there is something to do every few feet.

Not for nothing, DL and MK have about the same amount of attractions, it's just that DL has a smaller footprint, so imagineers needed to condense everything, which is why it feels as if there is something to do every few feet.

This is not entirely true. DL has considerably more attractions (58 to 41, slightly varying depending on your hard definition), with more actual rides and less meet and greets parading as attractions.

Disneyland just lets it's characters roam rather than necessarily building an entire setup for them.

It's the far superior park on a 1 to 1 basis and if not for Epcot and Animal Kingdom, we'd probably never venture back to World. Well, that and the fact that crowd prediction at DLR is next to impossible whereas it's down to a science at WDW.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So much DL love :D. I work at Disney World atm and most people here think I'm nuts when I say DLR is better. And besides going to Epcot and Animal Kingdom, most days I wish I was just at DLR lol.

So much DL love :D. I work at Disney World atm and most people here think I'm nuts when I say DLR is better. And besides going to Epcot and Animal Kingdom, most days I wish I was just at DLR lol.

There's always Universal!

Speaking of Universal, I've noticed it's been a while since I escaped from Gringotts ;)

Nelo Ice

Banned
There's always Universal!

Speaking of Universal, I've noticed it's been a while since I escaped from Gringotts ;)

I'll be going sometime after the 6th since they'll have their Holiday parade starting on the 6th. And if you wanna go to WDW I'll have 6 days of unused guest passes that will otherwise go unused. Btw is SeaWorld worth going to besides Mantis, Kraken, and Atlantis? They're currently having a BOGO on tix so it would cost me $37 a ticket, provided I split with someone.

I'll be going sometime after the 6th since they'll have their Holiday parade starting on the 6th. And if you wanna go to WDW I'll have 6 days of unused guest passes that will otherwise go unused. Btw is SeaWorld worth going to besides Mantis, Kraken, and Atlantis? They're currently having a BOGO on tix so it would cost me $37 a ticket, provided I split with someone.

Personally, I'm really not into most shows so the rides are all I'd go for. But Kraken and Manta are both killer coasters, so for $37 I'd definitely go for it.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Personally, I'm really not into most shows so the rides are all I'd go for. But Kraken and Manta are both killer coasters, so for $37 I'd definitely go for it.

Alright then I'll try and split with someone. My friend does keep raving about Kraken. And I would like to see how Manta compares to Tatsu. This should make up for me not buying the combo Busch Gardens/SeaWorld ticket in Oct and it comes out to about the same price.

Xun

I think most just naturally assume since WDW is bigger it's better.

In my opinion the feeling WDW once had has diminished, and it's entirely down to bad management from TDO.

There's a lot of wasted potential, and it's a shame.

LuuKyK

Alright then I'll try and split with someone. My friend does keep raving about Kraken. And I would like to see how Manta compares to Tatsu. This should make up for me not buying the combo Busch Gardens/SeaWorld ticket in Oct and it comes out to about the same price.

I loved Kraken, its sooo smooth. Totally worth it.

When I went the last time Manta wasn't open though. But a friend of mine said that its amazing.

So all things considered, yeah, I would say go for it.

aparisi2274

Kraken is so good, and Manta is right up there with it.

Next time I am down in FL, I want to hit up Sea World and check out the Antartica section they recently opened...

I loved Kraken, its sooo smooth. Totally worth it.

When I went the last time Manta wasn't open though. But a friend of mine said that its amazing.

So all things considered, yeah, I would say go for it.

Kraken has the prefect combination of elements, forces, and pacing. It's by far my favorite looper in the states. Banshee and Riddler's Revenge come in at a close second.

B&M are limited to what they can do with flying coasters. They make the most of it with Manta. I prefer it over Tatsu, honestly. The water interaction blows away the high flying act of Tatsu. The Superman rides are too cookie cutter for me.

overcast

I can assure you Anaheim Disneyland is better than Paris Disneyland. From people's opinion magic kingdom also seems to be worse, and from all the photos I have seen Tokyo Disneyland seems no match for it.

Pretty much.

There was a time when the Magic Kingdom was somewhat close to the original, but now? No way in hell.
I see. I do love it to pieces, maybe it's just the fact I've been there many times. I'll need to see the other ones eventually. Disneysea seems terrific.

You guys made me want to go to Universal Orlando more than anything though.

This kid wrote something about Mad T party closing in DCA? Any info? (I don't care either way really, never liked it).

aaahltcc7umn.gif

I see. I do love it to pieces, maybe it's just the fact I've been there many times. I'll need to see the other ones eventually. Disneysea seems terrific.

This kid wrote something about Mad T party closing in DCA? Any info? (I don't care either way really, never liked it).

It indeed seems that way. I hope I can go sooner than later. It looks like is probably the best themed park in the world, the attention to detail is just crazy.
But I think in Magic Kingdom style parks Anaheim is still king.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well found someone to split SeaWorld tix with and I should be spending all day there next Wed. And with that I'll have hit up all the major theme parks in Florida unless you count Legoland as one and in that case I can get 50% off there if I really wanted to go lol.

muteki

Carowinds' record-breaker will be topped off today.

live video webcam:

http://pixelcaster.com/live/carowinds/camera1.html

99m! 325ft!

This must have gone up fast, I was in the area a few weeks ago and didn't notice any signs of construction from the highway. I did notice they tore down the old outlet mall that used to have a hot air balloon in front of it.

Really amazing that the lift hill starts way back by The Hurler and doesn't drop until the main parking lot past the paladium.

OchreHand

Do you guys think 4 days is enough for Universal/IoA and SeaWorld? I haven't been to either parks since 1999. Originally I was planning on Disney next year but decided to skip it and try those other two parks instead.

aparisi2274

Do you guys think 4 days is enough for Universal/IoA and SeaWorld? I haven't been to either parks since 1999. Originally I was planning on Disney next year but decided to skip it and try those other two parks instead.

Sea world you can do in one day, it's not that big of a park.

Universal/IOA I usually get the one day-two park ticket and the express pass upgrade and I can do both parks in a single day.

If you really want to see both parks, do one day each, but you'll need some sort of 2 park pass if you want to ride the Hogwarts Express.

Top Bottom