• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

aparisi2274

It's just that facetime takes up decent bandwidth, and if a lot of people are doing facetime it ruins the bandwidth for other guests.

Like, I traveled 23 weeks this year for work and there's always someone on the airplane trying to watch Netflix, HBO Go or facetime with someone while in the air. It's unnecessary and ruins the experience for everyone else on the plane. That's all.

Nothing against Quick. I'm sure there are a hundred other ways I could've gotten that across without sounding like a dick.

Ugghh, holiday crowds are the worst.

zeemumu

That area of California Adventure where the Muppets and Monsters Inc are is Frozen Land right now. Mad T Party is a Frozen Rave, Muppets is some kind of singalong video, and they have a building presumably full of snow stuff. We didn't get to check out much because of end of the year crowds, but I plan on going back during off-season.

That area of California Adventure where the Muppets and Monsters Inc are is Frozen Land right now. Mad T Party is a Frozen Rave, Muppets is some kind of singalong video, and they have a building presumably full of snow stuff. We didn't get to check out much because of end of the year crowds, but I plan on going back during off-season.

:(
At least i got the chance to see it live once in my life.

ET is like Uni's Small World. I'd be surprised to ever see it go, but they rely less on nostalgia than Disney.

Which isn't a bad or good thing. World relies on nostalgia to not do shit and still rake in cash. Land historically treasures its nostalgia and maintains it well.

thefro

I remember reading somewhere a few years back that Spielberg wants the Orlando ET ride to stay open permanently, so my guess is they do an extensive renovation at some point.

aparisi2274

I think the challenge with Twister is figuring out a way to use the space in an entertaining way. It's such a small footprint.

I kinda wish they would repurpose it into the firehouse from Ghostbusters and turn it into some sort of live action/3D screen final Gozer battle...

zeemumu

A lot of the attractions in Universal seem like expanded versions of the events on the studio tour (Jaws, Earthquake, Kongfrontation, etc). As for ET, I really don't know. As a kid I enjoyed both parts of the ride because the first half was cool and the 2nd half wasn't in the movie so it was new and exciting to me. They took it down out here to use the soundstage for Revenge of the Mummy so I didn't ride it again until I went to Universal Studios in Florida for the first time. It was a bit underwhelming towards the end. Honestly, if I could pick anything to take from Universal in Florida and put into Universal Studios Hollywood (aside from Wizarding World of Harry Potter because they've already started building it), I would have chosen the MIB ride. That thing was amazing. 2nd choice is Spider-Man, and 3rd is Hulk rollercoaster.

Are they still making modifications to the tour? It feels a little barren since they got rid of the bridge, the Mummy tunnel, and the Tokyo Drift stunt show.

SmithnCo

I kinda wish they would repurpose it into the firehouse from Ghostbusters and turn it into some sort of live action/3D screen final Gozer battle...

That would be nice. Though I admit I will be sad to see Bill Paxton's monotone monologue go.

I rarely ride ET but I did recently and that ride is like a drug trip.

LuuKyK

So Gwazi (Busch Gardens) is going to get closed forever from the 1st of february onward?

I am glad I had the chance to ride it before it was closed I guess. It was bit too wild and shaky but it was fun.

I wonder what they will build in its place. The area is huge.

Yeah, HD projectors on Soarin should be ace. Sorely needed.

Some Universal Orlando news/rumors I've seen lately:

-Construction walls have gone up around the Garden of Allah villas. Rumors are speculating that a Universal museum and/or a new entrance for ET will replace it this year.

-Been reading a lot of people talk about the planned Twister replacement. Apparently it's going to be a Soarin' Over New York style ride. The facade will likely be themed to 30 Rock and the project is said be looking at a fast-paced Transformers Orlando-style construction to be up this year.

-Kong is expected to open Summer 2016 due to delays to increase the ride's quality. Still, the project seems to be moving at a lightning pace.

minx

Yeah, HD projectors on Soarin should be ace. Sorely needed.

Some Universal Orlando news/rumors I've seen lately:

-Construction walls have gone up around the Garden of Allah villas. Rumors are speculating that a Universal museum and/or a new entrance for ET will replace it this year.

-Been reading a lot of people talk about the planned Twister replacement. Apparently it's going to be a Soarin' Over New York style ride. The facade will likely be themed to 30 Rock and the project is said be looking at a fast-paced Transformers Orlando-style construction to be up this year.

-Kong is expected to open Summer 2016 due to delays to increase the ride's quality. Still, the project seems to be moving at a lightning pace.

A Soarin type ride makes sense given the space limitations... Too bad Soarin is a let down. Unless it is more like the Simpsons ride.

overcast

Oh Soarin is getting upgraded. Hmm. Interesting. I'm going in a week, we tend to not go on the ride though. So, I would agree with this decision :]

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Not a huge fan of the video rides like Soarin or Simpsons or Star Tours or BTTF, to be honest. I feel like once you've done it the first time (as in any of those types of rides) it stops being fresh no matter what the theme.

But I still go to Muppets every time I go to Disney World, so I guess I'm a hypocrite. But they always feel half assed compared to indoor roller coasters like Space Fantasy.

aparisi2274

Not a huge fan of the video rides like Soarin or Simpsons or Star Tours or BTTF, to be honest. I feel like once you've done it the first time (as in any of those types of rides) it stops being fresh no matter what the theme.

But I still go to Muppets every time I go to Disney World, so I guess I'm a hypocrite. But they always feel half assed compared to indoor roller coasters like Space Fantasy.

I feel kind of the same way, yet I continuously wait for Philharmagic!

I wouldn't mind a NY style Soarin ride at Universal. When they fly over NYC, they can pump the smell of piss into the room and it'll make me feel like I am back home in the city, while on vacation in Florida.

thefro

It'd be nice for them to actually use the old AT&T At the Movies space for an attraction, even if it's just a good walkthrough exhibit. I've been glad to see them filling up some of the old spaces in the park from the old days that had went unused for a while.

I think they have too many simulator rides at this point, but something like "Soarin'" for where Twister is now would probably be the best use of that limited space

SmithnCo

They definitely aren't nearly as exciting after the first time, I agree. Though having changing scenes in Star Tours was a decent idea, even though you can see all of them after a couple rides.

zeemumu

They definitely aren't nearly as exciting after the first time, I agree. Though having changing scenes in Star Tours was a decent idea, even though you can see all of them after a couple rides.

Star Tours has 2 different openings, 3 different initial planets, 3 transmissions, and 3 final planets. My favorite variation is Vader opening, Hoth, Ackbar transmission, Boba Fett ambush (Ackbar sets it up for me to yell "IT'S A TRAP!")

Now that the crowds are gone and the measles outbreak may or may not have been solved, I'm going to start hanging around the park during off season. Maybe I can check out the Frozen zone now that it won't be filled to capacity with last minute tourists. If I do I'll take pictures.

They are needed to give variety. Of course theres some people that are going to find more interesting a coaster than a 3D cinema, but others will not.
I like both.

I'm disappointed that they've all sort of turned into "sit in a tilting box and watch a movie." It's especially bad when the ride hydraulics/mechanics are loud and every time your "car" is supposed to make a sharp turn you hear that deafening "SPPPFFFF" sound beneath you. But they can be amazing.

Spider-Man at IoA is really great because it combines an actual moving vehicle with several screens, actual props, and physical effects. I really need to get back down there and check out the HD overhaul they did with the video.

I'm disappointed that they've all sort of turned into "sit in a tilting box and watch a movie." It's especially bad when the ride hydraulics/mechanics are loud and every time your "car" is supposed to make a sharp turn you hear that deafening "SPPPFFFF" sound beneath you. But they can be amazing.

Spider-Man at IoA is really great because it combines an actual moving vehicle with several screens, actual props, and physical effects. I really need to get back down there and check out the HD overhaul they did with the video.

Spider-Man's upgrade is amazing. The ride is still arguably the best in the world and even better than it was.

Our front speakers on Gringotts were busted twice in a row today. Same conditions-vehicle 6, row 4. The dragons roar sounded like a wet fart.

zeemumu

Disneyland's gonna start refurbing to prep for the 60th anniversary, and I've heard rumors that they're planning to put hatbox ghost back in at some point. That would make my year.

SmithnCo

Disneyland's gonna start refurbing to prep for the 60th anniversary, and I've heard rumors that they're planning to put hatbox ghost back in at some point. That would make my year.

They've definitely been showing off an animatronic of him for conventions so I hope it comes to pass.

Quick

Banned
Just got back from Universal Orlando, and it's just such a fun place. Wizarding World was amazing, despite the crowd (which I didn't think was so bad - I can only imagine it in the summer). Wizarding World was its own experience, but the rest of Universal was also pretty damn fun.

Pricing for souvenirs also wasn't too bad with my budget.

I mailed a postcard from Hogsmeade, how long does it usually take for USPS to deliver them to Canada?

Finishing off the wifi discussion: it was actually pretty good for me. Once I entered either side, I was connected and maintained a strong one.

Just got back from Universal Orlando, and it's just such a fun place. Wizarding World was amazing, despite the crowd (which I didn't think was so bad - I can only imagine it in the summer). Wizarding World was its own experience, but the rest of Universal was also pretty damn fun.

I was also there today. Crowds were amazingly light; I think the highest non-Despicable Me wait was 45 minutes for FJ (got on in 5 minutes with single rider regardless), but it didn't hold all day. Mummy single rider was totally empty around 3:30-4pm so I had a few goes on that lol. Most rides looked to be walk-ons around 5pm when I left. Gringotts was super manageable all day.

Really lucked out and got on Hulk in the morning just before the rain hit. Not sure if crowds were deterred by the rain or if it was just a slow day.

Quick

Banned
I was there a week ago. The vacation crowd seems to have thinned out as the week progressed (had a three-day pass). Despicable Me was still listed consistently at 90 minutes, so I didn't get to go on it, but the Forbidden Journey ride took half an hour at most for me.

I missed out on Gringotts though. I wish I bit the bullet and waited the also-consistent 90 minute wait-time.

I was there a week ago. The vacation crowd seems to have thinned out as the week progressed (had a three-day pass). Despicable Me was still listed consistently at 90 minutes, so I didn't get to go on it, but the Forbidden Journey ride took half an hour at most for me.

I missed out on Gringotts though. I wish I bit the bullet and waited the also-consistent 90 minute wait-time.

Ah, gotcha.

Gringotts is fantastic; hopefully you can make it back to ride it! Just a note if you ever get back - single rider lines are useful even standby has a high wait. You'll miss the queue but make it on the ride much faster. Universal offers single rider on most of its rides, so it can be handy throughout your day.

zeemumu

They've definitely been showing off an animatronic of him for conventions so I hope it comes to pass.

Not sure how accurate Micechat is on this, but they've usually done a good job so I believe them.

The return of the Hatbox Ghost character to the Haunted Mansion before May will also be one of the more memorable 60th Anniversary additions as part of the campaign to plus up and refresh some of Disneyland’s most popular yet aging attractions.

The Haunted Mansion is closed right now because they're removing all of the Haunted Mansion Holiday stuff in the interior to return it to the original ride, and every time that they've done this I've secretly hoped that they'd plop the hatbox ghost back into the attic without telling anyone.

Looks like they're giving Matterhorn an overhaul too. I'm interested in what new animatronics they're adding in. What do you guys think? Animals? Hikers? A new Harold? I don't see anything as advanced as Expedition Everest since the interior is nowhere near large enough to hold something like that but it's still pretty interesting. Work and college have kept me busy but I'd like to go check this stuff out for myself when I get the chance. I was actually there yesterday but I didn't go past Main Street because I was running late and it was raining.

Not sure how accurate Micechat is on this, but they've usually done a good job so I believe them.

The Haunted Mansion is closed right now because they're removing all of the Haunted Mansion Holiday stuff in the interior to return it to the original ride, and every time that they've done this I've secretly hoped that they'd plop the hatbox ghost back into the attic without telling anyone.

That'd be nice.

Jag

Ah, gotcha.

Gringotts is fantastic; hopefully you can make it back to ride it! Just a note if you ever get back - single rider lines are useful even standby has a high wait. You'll miss the queue but make it on the ride much faster. Universal offers single rider on most of its rides, so it can be handy throughout your day.

Heading to Universal this weekend. Staying on property so I can hit Gringotts an hour early.

Anyone know if it's worth the price of a park hopper just to ride the Hogwarts Express? My plan was to do Islands and Studios on different days.

aparisi2274

Heading to Universal this weekend. Staying on property so I can hit Gringotts an hour early.

Anyone know if it's worth the price of a park hopper just to ride the Hogwarts Express? My plan was to do Islands and Studios on different days.

Are you staying at a hotel that gives you an express pass for free (ie Hard Rock, Lowes, ect) or just an early entry (ie Cabana Bay) into park? If you get the express pass, then go for the multi park ticket. You could most likely hit all rides in one day.

brerwolfe

What aparisi said. But to answer your question specifically-- the Hogwarts Express is cute, but not worth getting a 2-park pass over. My wife (super hardcore Potter fan) was disappointed because
they didn't use the real actors for the voiceovers (aside from Rupert Grint

Jag

Are you staying at a hotel that gives you an express pass for free (ie Hard Rock, Lowes, ect) or just an early entry (ie Cabana Bay) into park? If you get the express pass, then go for the multi park ticket. You could most likely hit all rides in one day.

Staying at the Lowes. We probably could do both parks in one day, but we are staying Sat and Sun. Don't think it's worth the $120 (FL resident x4) extra for the multi.

Top Bottom