• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

overcast

Damn, Universal Orlando is so quick. Any Disney Land (Anaheim) fans know what they have in store for the rest of '15 and some of '16?

Just curious what's in the pipeline. Had no clue Disney in Orlando basically have no rights to Marvel.

zeemumu

Any Disney Land (Anaheim) fans know what they have in store for the rest of '15 and some of '16?

Just curious what's in the pipeline. Had no clue Disney in Orlando basically have no rights to Marvel.

They're gearing up for the 60th anniversary. For the stuff that I know of

• Hatbox returning to Haunted Mansion at the end of the week
  • Yeti and effect makeover for Matterhorn
  • New parade
  • New firework show
  • New effects for Peter Pan
  • Retouch of older rides
They're also doing something to Innoventions but I'm a little foggy on the details.

Then there's the new decorations for the castle
nmi7cb-09.disney.diamondcastle.me.040815.jpg

This'll all be operational by the 22nd, which is the official start of the 60th anniversary and the park will be open 24 hours that day.

• New parade
  • New firework show
  • Retouch of older rides
They're also doing something to Innoventions but I'm a little foggy on the details.

This'll all be operational by the 22nd, which is the official start of the 60th anniversary and the park will be open 24 hours that day.

If only they did like a modern Carrousel of Progress using Stark Industries or something. It writes itself.

That video footage that they showed is from Kong 360 3D in Universal Studios Hollywood. Are they going to be using some of that footage on the ride as well?

Yes, though it seems like it will be an extended version with practical effects as well, not unlike how the original Kong in Florida came to be. That concept art though... soooooooooooo good.

Weetrick

Going to Cedar Point in a couple months. I have been before, but any GAF recommendations except for the obvious? (MF, TTD, Magnum, Mantis, Rougarou)

Gemini is great. I enjoyed it WAY more than I expected. Don't skip it!

Cedar Downs Racing Derby, the racing carousel, is good to ride while taking a break between huge coasters. It's an old classic ride, but bizarre and unique. I've never seen one like it before.

zeemumu

Yes, though it seems like it will be an extended version with practical effects as well, not unlike how the original Kong in Florida came to be. That concept art though... soooooooooooo good.

Hmm, they're gonna have to cut out some stuff. There's a point in the Hollywood one where one of the Dinosaurs grabs a tram car and pulls it into the scene. That'll have to be removed since it would make no sense for this ride.

Discussion on Orlando United is pointing toward the Kong 360 footage being placeholder to build hype. Ride is apparently 70% sets and 30% 3D screens. Universal has confirmed live "drivers" for each trackless vehicle, and that the ride will be one of the resort's longest in duration.

It's gonna be amaaaazing

thefro

Discussion on Orlando United is pointing toward the Kong 360 footage being placeholder to build hype. Ride is apparently 70% sets and 30% 3D screens. Universal has confirmed live "drivers" for each trackless vehicle, and that the ride will be one of the resort's longest in duration.

It's gonna be amaaaazing

Yeah, the drivers being confirmed makes me think they've figured out how to pull off what was rumored, which will be insane.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Today, we honor one of the most monumental figures in movie history, King Kong, with the announcement of a groundbreaking attraction opening in the summer of 2016 at Universal’s Islands of Adventure – “Skull Island: Reign of Kong.”

You’ll navigate perilous jungles, explore ancient temple structures and encounter hostile natives – and that’s only the beginning. Throughout the rest of your excursion, you’ll brave foreboding caves crawling with prehistoric creatures, fend off unspeakable terrors – and even come face-to-face with the colossal Kong himself.

When we began conceptualizing the next great attraction for Universal Orlando Resort, one prevailing thought rose to the top of our minds. How do we make the experience MASSIVE? The sets, the characters and even the story itself. All of it will be larger than life.

Announcement

VIDEO: Skull Island: Reign of Kong Announcement with Mike West

overcast

• New parade
  • New firework show
  • Retouch of older rides

Sounds good to me. Little things, but as long as all the rides are running in late May I'll be happy.

zeemumu

Sounds good to me. Little things, but as long as all the rides are running in late May I'll be happy.

They'll be running, but there's gonna be a lot of stuff going on in late May. The parks will be packed. If you have a pass or a lot of time during your visit then it'll be fine, but if you only have one day you're going to be dealing with a lot of crowds.

Weetrick

I got a free ticket to test out Voyage to the Iron Reef at Knott's Berry Farm this Thursday, a day before its public opening. It's 2 hours of ride time followed by an hour of Q&A with Triotech. Can't wait!

overcast

They'll be running, but there's gonna be a lot of stuff going on in late May. The parks will be packed. If you have a pass or a lot of time during your visit then it'll be fine, but if you only have one day you're going to be dealing with a lot of crowds.
I have a pass. Just been a few months since I've been.

thefro

There's a thread on the gaming side, but this belongs here too.

KYOTO, Japan & ORLANDO, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo and Universal Parks & Resorts today announced plans to bring the world of Nintendo to life at Universal theme parks – creating spectacular, dedicated experiences based on Nintendo’s wildly popular games, characters and worlds.

The agreement brings two icons of entertainment together and represents a significant partnership for Nintendo as it expands the reach and popularity of its characters and intellectual property.

Universal theme parks offer incredibly popular, innovative themed family entertainment experiences based on compelling stories and characters – using powerful storytelling and innovative technology. Nintendo has created remarkable and imaginative worlds filled with captivating stories and beloved characters. Now, for the first time, those stories and characters will be brought to life in entirely new ways – only at Universal theme parks.

The immersive experiences will include major attractions at Universal’s theme parks and will feature Nintendo’s most famous characters and games. More details will be announced in the future, as the Nintendo and Universal creative teams work to create specific concepts.

Well they already had the hall of Tony's suits.

What I dont understand is why some people are so adamant with ideas like this. Use Ironman in tomorrowland as a chance to show kids real science and how the future could go in terms of inventions. They will eat it up and learn something in the process. Wasnt that the mantra that used Walt for its old rides? Entertain first and then the kids will be educated?
Just use Stark Industries as a "presented by" like in the old they used General Electric and Monsanto.
Its so easy to implement all of this thanks to what Ironman 2 brought to the table in terms of new yor's world fair of 64.

This is BIG! Too bad we will probably see nothing about it until maybe 2018.

thefro

That'll be Toon Lagoon rethemed, then. Hope they add a ride that isn't water-based.

There's room there but I think you'd have to redo the layout unless they can relocate what looks like two big "backstage" buildings somewhere else.

Doesn't make sense to completely close Dudley Do-Right/Popeye since those rides are still pretty good in their class and should have another 15 years left in them with heavy retheming. One could be Donkey Kong themed (probably should be Popeye). I don't think you're using the Zelda/Mario IPs to their potential if you just retheme Ripsaw Falls.

Some sort of Mario Kart ride makes a ton of sense.

Obviously there would be some sort of Nintendo store too

Damn, Universal just doesn't give a fuck, they are going straight for the jugular. Disney really needs to get that Star Wars land announced. I actually really think Universal could upend at least one or two of the Disney Parks if this keeps up (if they haven't already)

zeemumu

What I dont understand is why some people are so adamant with ideas like this. Use Ironman in tomorrowland as a chance to show kids real science and how the future could go in terms of inventions. They will eat it up and learn something in the process. Wasnt that the mantra that used Walt for its old rides? Entertain first and then the kids will be educated?
Just use Stark Industries as a "presented by" like in the old they used General Electric and Monsanto.
Its so easy to implement all of this thanks to what Ironman 2 brought to the table in terms of new yor's world fair of 64.

This is BIG! Too bad we will probably see nothing about it until maybe 2018.

Innoventions hasn't been educational in a long time. If you go in there now it's a bunch of Marvel stuff and video games. I agree with your idea, though. That would have been an amazing idea.

I hope that the addition of Nintendo stuff will prompt Disney to start selling Kingdom Hearts merchandise in their parks.

thefro

Damn, Universal just doesn't give a fuck, they are going straight for the jugular. Disney really needs to get that Star Wars land announced. I actually really think Universal could upend at least one or two of the Disney Parks if this keeps up (if they haven't already)

The thing is Universal getting more popular and being a draw on its own actually helps Disney since a lot of tourists hit the Disney parks as well when they visit Orlando.

I guess we haven't seen the numbers from 2014 or this year where the Hogwarts Express will probably boost attendance for both parks a lot.

Don't think this partnership has been posted yet. Really exciting times ahead!

Nintendo, which has spent much of 2015 expanding beyond its traditional video game roots, has partnered with Universal Parks and Resorts to bring Mario, Donkey Kong and the rest of the company’s extensive collection of characters to the parks in the form of Nintendo-themed rides and character appearances.

http://variety.com/2015/biz/news/nintendo-universal-theme-park-rides-1201489766/

Edit: Nevermind I guess the thread cache wasn't updated on my end. Sorry guys! Exciting nonetheless!

aparisi2274

I would love a Mario Kart launched coaster or even an FZero launched coaster. The DK ride could be water based, based on DKC Tropical Freeze or something.

Not sure how u convert Zelda or Metroid to a ride or attraction.

The Mario attraction needs to be god damn ridiculous if Universal really wants to showcase this license.

Weetrick

I would love a Mario Kart launched coaster or even an FZero launched coaster. The DK ride could be water based, based on DKC Tropical Freeze or something.

Not sure how u convert Zelda or Metroid to a ride or attraction.

The Mario attraction needs to be god damn ridiculous if Universal really wants to showcase this license.

We have no idea what they are actually going to do. It could be a small project like Springfield or a micro project like Attack on Titan. I'm still hoping for a full blown land but have to keep my expectations in check.

minx

It has taken how long since Disney announced Avatar and it won't be done until 2016 or 2017? There won't be star wars until 2023 at the rate they are on. By that time Universal will have Kong, Nintendo ride, Fast and Furious, another Potter ride, and a new Jurassic Park ride. Disney give no fucks with how their attendance and revenue currently is. They are more concerned with how to get guests to spend more money in the parks without building brand new rides.

ito007

My eyes welled up with joy when I saw the news about Nintendo. Really looking forward to it. Anybody been to KI yet this season? I'm going back to work there again for the season and I'm curious to know how that new Starbucks is doing. Everybody's been real excited about it.

KI as in Kings Island although I guess I don't have to remind you guys

Jag

That'll be Toon Lagoon rethemed, then. Hope they add a ride that isn't water-based.

I was there about a month ago. We were eating at the Blondie cafe with my kids and I thought that they really needed to bring this area up to date. My kids had no idea who any of the cartoons were and I had barely had any connection to them at all. They can keep the basic bones of the place, they just needed to reskin it. Nintendo will be a gold mine for them.

It's all a bit of rumour and supposition, but it seems like Alton Towers' next Secret Weapon ride is going to be a launched wooden coaster, opening 2017.

zeemumu

Just leaving Disneyland... Dat post-Disney depression setting in...

I'm going after work today so I can go see the hatbox ghost. I'm not going to click on that instagram link. I have to see it *Vader voice* with my OWN eyes.
Is that Hat box ghost that big of a deal? I mean that girl in the video who loses her shit over it, seems a bit over dramatic...
Haunted Mansion equivalent to Boba Fett showing up in the new star wars film.

Leeness

I'm going after work today so I can go see the hatbox ghost. I'm not going to click on that instagram link. I have to see it *Vader voice* with my OWN eyes.
Haunted Mansion equivalent to Boba Fett showing up in the new star wars film.

I was so annoyed when I saw that they closed Haunted Mansion the day before I arrived and opened it the day I leave lol

BUT NOT AS ANNOYED AS I WAS AT THE WEATHER. Got cold and showery as I get to Anaheim, then gets better today. As I leave. What the hell, fireworks were cancelled last night ;_;

zeemumu

I was so annoyed when I saw that they closed Haunted Mansion the day before I arrived and opened it the day I leave lol

BUT NOT AS ANNOYED AS I WAS AT THE WEATHER. Got cold and showery as I get to Anaheim, then gets better today. As I leave. What the hell, fireworks were cancelled last night ;_;

Yep, it's been raining for a few days. Were you here for vacation? I know those feels. I went to Florida for a vacation and their mansion was closed for renovations.

Top Bottom