• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

see5harp

Damn well I was heading to so cal for the weekend and thought Friday might be a good day to hit Disneyland. That was until I heard some crazy 24 hour event was going on and that Friday Sat and Sun might actually be living hell with the crowds.

aparisi2274

Apparently Universal Japan's Forbidden Journey is getting upgraded to 3D tomorrow. I can't even.

Why? That makes zero sense. There are more practical effects than there are video screens on that ride... it is going to be annoying as hell when you are flying through the ride wearing 3D glasses and having to look at the practical effects and set pieces..

No Thanks!

Why? That makes zero sense. There are more practical effects than there are video screens on that ride... it is going to be annoying as hell when you are flying through the ride wearing 3D glasses and having to look at the practical effects and set pieces..

No Thanks!

They'll have to jack the lighting up on the physical sets. It's a curious move, though I doubt they'd go through the trouble of converting the ride to 3D (new projectors, new lighting, converting the ride film) without a good reason behind it.

Goldrusher

Six Flags opened both Twisted Colossus and Wicked Cyclone this week...

Twisted Colossus, Magic Mountain (California)

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=409dKWso_XA
(includes POV, reverse POV, off-ride)

CFeZRoPWEAAfIcL.jpg:large

thumb_tc_topgun.jpg

Wicked Cyclone, New England

POV video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpzF-GVO9xw
offride: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi3wMUq36kc

CFdrBrIWoAARSZR.jpg

CFdrBrJWgAAEx4m.jpg

see5harp

Maybe I'll head to Magic Mountain for Memorial Day Weekend. I'm just going to assume it's one of the busiest early summer weekends though.

So attractions magazine uploaded today a video of World of Color Celebrate.
Is basically a celebration to the man himslef (and as a fan of Walt it makes me happy), with Neil Patrick Harris doing the work that usually did Julie Andrews.
https://youtu.be/79_M6M3eGns

Watching it all, my opinion? Good begining and good ending, with an AWFUL midsegment.

When NPH says, "and the rest, was history" well, it would have been cool if all the DISNEY animated movies appeared in order, showng the history of the company. But noooo, lets cram Pixar in there, and mostly shots of new movies (because who remembers the old movies apart from peter pan and jungle book), and instead of having time adding another movie, lets waste it putting Finding Nemo on the screen again...
Same with the villians. Pixar villians really? Hopper from A Bug's Life? FUCKING REALLY??
Oh wait, but here comes the best part. What song do we put in its entirety that is the true heart of Walt Disney... LET IT FUCKING GO! OF COURSE! (and to think I liked the song before, but they are just making me hate it drilling it everywhere).

And then the disneyland segment starts, it all good and dandy, but instead of showing real disneyland history (that is supposedly what the show is about), passing through each land... FUCKING CARS LAND, dont even know who thought that cramming that in a disneyland (not resort, is the only caliornia adventure ride that appears in that segment) segment made sense (probably John Lasseter, ugh). Where's the Matternhorn? Where's Jungle Cruise? Where's the Golden Horseshoe Revue? Rainbow Caverns? Big Thunder? Main Street?
Absolutely disgusting.
Maybe they didnt have enough time because they decided to advertise the new star wars movie during the already long star tours segment.

And then it finishes, cute ending, epic song at the end.

The 50th Disneyland anniversary show, even without the Wonderful World of Color site and special effects, shits thematically, all over this show.

Can i just say every time i discover an amzing dark ride, only to find out almost all of the effects don't work, it kills me a little on the inside?

Exterminator at Kennywood sounds awesome, and having just moved to PA, i'm pumped to be going soon. It sounds like, however, this ride, much like many dark rides, has had little to no upkeep since its opening : (

zeemumu

Disneyland's 60th Anniversary 24 hour day started about 21 minutes ago.

EDIT:so the park is full to capacity and you can't get into the main plaza, the line for baggage check is stretching past the shuttle area. I think I'm just gonna come back on a different day. They'll probably still have some of this stuff up.

RetroMG

There's video of the new Disneyland 60th Anniversary Parade, Fireworks Show, and World of Color show on Youtube.

They are pretty freaking amazing. (I saw the fireworks from my hotel during a preview show when I was there a few days ago.) Even though we just went, my wife and I are sorely tempted to go back in a few weeks just to see the new shows.

zeemumu

There's video of the new Disneyland 60th Anniversary Parade, Fireworks Show, and World of Color show on Youtube.

They are pretty freaking amazing. (I saw the fireworks from my hotel during a preview show when I was there a few days ago.) Even though we just went, my wife and I are sorely tempted to go back in a few weeks just to see the new shows.

Wait a little bit until the grad nights are done.

Disneyland's 60th Anniversary 24 hour day started about 21 minutes ago.

EDIT:so the park is full to capacity and you can't get into the main plaza, the line for baggage check is stretching past the shuttle area. I think I'm just gonna come back on a different day. They'll probably still have some of this stuff up.
The first year they did the 24 hour day was on a Wednesday in February and Disneyland still hit capacity. The subsequent 24 hour events being held on Fridays of Memorial Day weekend hasn't helped.

I... Don't really have any huge problems with the World of Color bit, honestly. If we're talking about the legacy Walt left behind, Pixar definitely fits.

While the Frozen and Star Wars bits are a little shoehorned, and Let It Go could be significantly trimmed... Well, frankly, they're the bits the crowd reacted to the best.

Just got around to watching the 60th anniversary shows. I LOVE World of Color so I have a bit to say about this one. Of all the World of Color variants I think the original is still the best in terms of pure enjoyment. I agree with Ridley that thematically the new show is really off. I don't even care that it's not about Disney's history. It's just weirdly put together. I think the second half of the show should have been the idea of the entire show, though. Just all about Disneyland. They are specifically celebrating the park's 60th birthday so the show should really focus on the attractions. In that respect I don't think Star Tours was necessarily shoehorned since it's been a part of the parks for nearly 30 years and honestly it was the best part of the whole show. They could have done so much more with the other attractions though.

I would also add that they relied too heavily on projected images. This is the same problem that they had with the winter special and why I still think the original is the best. The original used images as an introduction and transition to the water and lights choreography, which is what ultimately makes WoC so entertaining. WoC is just a random mashup of Disney/Pixar IP so choreography is important. Otherwise it's just a really simple show. They could have done something to that effect of, say, a Space Mountain segment and it would have colors and lights that we all associate with the attraction while the lights and water dance to the music. I will say that I appreciate the additions to the tech. I was pretty bummed that they added all of the lights on Screamin' for the winter WoC just to ignore them for the regular show. At least the new one utilizes every piece of tech they have there. Nothing will top TRONCORE for me though.

I pretty much have the same issue with the new fireworks, with it not being what I think it should have been instead of what it really was. Which was still a pretty entertaining show. It's called "Disneyland Forever" yet it's another mashup of Disney/Pixar movies. At least WoC had something about the parks. Unless I missed something, the fireworks don't celebrate Disneyland itself, at all, which is really bizarre. And yeah, another "Let it Go" segment? You know, I actually like Frozen, but they are really beating their guests over the head with it. The projections across Main Street and the Matterhorn were pretty neat though.

As for the Paint the Night, I'm not really a parade person but I thought it was cool.

I'd hate to come off as negative but I'm still anticipating seeing them in person on my next visit, hopefully soon. The other stuff they've done to the attractions looks amazing.

EDIT: I just rewatched the WoC show and Captain America shows up on one of the screens for a brief second lol

Just got around to watching the 60th anniversary shows. I LOVE World of Color so I have a bit to say about this one. Of all the World of Color variants I think the original is still the best in terms of pure enjoyment. I agree with Ridley that thematically the new show is really off. I don't even care that it's not about Disney's history. It's just weirdly put together. I think the second half of the show should have been the idea of the entire show, though. Just all about Disneyland. They are specifically celebrating the park's 60th birthday so the show should really focus on the attractions. In that respect I don't think Star Tours was necessarily shoehorned since it's been a part of the parks for nearly 30 years and honestly it was the best part of the whole show. They could have done so much more with the other attractions though.

I would also add that they relied too heavily on projected images. This is the same problem that they had with the winter special and why I still think the original is the best. The original used images as an introduction and transition to the water and lights choreography, which is what ultimately makes WoC so entertaining. WoC is just a random mashup of Disney/Pixar IP so choreography is important. Otherwise it's just a really simple show. They could have done something to that effect of, say, a Space Mountain segment and it would have colors and lights that we all associate with the attraction while the lights and water dance to the music. I will say that I appreciate the additions to the tech. I was pretty bummed that they added all of the lights on Screamin' for the winter WoC just to ignore them for the regular show. At least the new one utilizes every piece of tech they have there. Nothing will top TRONCORE for me though.

I pretty much have the same issue with the new fireworks, with it not being what I think it should have been instead of what it really was. Which was still a pretty entertaining show. It's called "Disneyland Forever" yet it's another mashup of Disney/Pixar movies. At least WoC had something about the parks. Unless I missed something, the fireworks don't celebrate Disneyland itself, at all, which is really bizarre. And yeah, another "Let it Go" segment? You know, I actually like Frozen, but they are really beating their guests over the head with it. The projections across Main Street and the Matterhorn were pretty neat though.

As for the Paint the Night, I'm not really a parade person but I thought it was cool.

I'd hate to come off as negative but I'm still anticipating seeing them in person on my next visit, hopefully soon. The other stuff they've done to the attractions looks amazing.

EDIT: I just rewatched the WoC show and Captain America shows up on one of the screens for a brief second lol

Totally with you and all this. And the castle show is called disneyland forever and has nothing about disneyland? Lol more let it go segments? Double lol
To be frank, I think they went this way because the 50th anniversary show was already too perfect showing the parks history (everytime i hear it on my 50 years ost collection, it makes me euphoric), so they didnt want to repeat exactly the same things.
Still they made it all wrong, thats why I thought focussing on WoC on the man himself and the history he had with the company and Disneyland was a great idea, but at the end of the day it was butchered by and no order show.
About the star tours segment, i love that is there (its how the 50th also ends), the problem i have now with it is that is too long and adds trailer segments of the new star wars films, and thats not what the ride is about. And i also noticed the last thing of the show was a brief shot of captain america, it just makes no sense.
Your idea of space mountain using screaming is fantastic, more disneyland rides variety and using more effects to show what they represnet instead of a projection would have made the show amazing.
And yes, my favourite world of color was the original with the tron segment using screamin. Sadly ive only seen that on youtube, when I went they just changed that segment to the shitty pirates of caribbean movie that only used flamethrowers. Horrible.

Probably a little closer to crowded because summer started for a lot of people

I looked at some of the chicgo schools and looks like they have a couple more week, so im holding out hope its not corwded.I know when i went 3 years ago in the middle of the summer on a monday the longest i waited was liek 20 min

zeemumu

I looked at some of the chicgo schools and looks like they have a couple more week, so im holding out hope its not corwded.I know when i went 3 years ago in the middle of the summer on a monday the longest i waited was liek 20 min

Ah okay. I was basing it on a general US standing. Out here, the average wait times in Disneyland are noticeably higher because people are out and tourists are going to see the 60th improvements.

Goldrusher

^

ANNOUNCING UNIVERSAL’S VOLCANO BAY – A WATER THEME PARK UNLIKE ANY YOU’VE EVER EXPERIENCED

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/volcano-bay-announcement/

Today, we are announcing a project of incredible vision – bringing to life an entirely new water theme park experience for our guests. This addition will join Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure as our destination’s third highly-immersive park and will be called Universal’s Volcano Bay.

This is one of the most exciting projects we have had the opportunity to be part of because Volcano Bay will completely redefine the water park experience for our guests.

The park will feel as if it is set in picture-perfect tropical islands, formed by a massive volcano – and it will have something for every member of the family. It will feature radically-innovative attractions, peaceful moments of relaxation and an experience that we hope will change the way guests think about water theme parks.

We’ve already broken ground on Volcano Bay, just south of Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort. Construction will move quickly, and the park will open in 2017.

Volcano Bay shows how Universal Orlando is continuing to evolve at an unprecedented rate that will not slow anytime soon. Since 2010, we’ve launched more than 18 remarkable experiences across the destination – from new attractions and theme park lands to new on-site hotels and restaurants. Our team will continue delivering new guest experiences that push the limits of theme park entertainment.

More details on Volcano Bay will be announced at a later date. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook or via email for the latest news.

zeemumu

It reminds me of a larger scale version of that little volcano area in Raging Waters
volcano-300x218.jpg

The San Dimas Raging Waters is the one near me and also happens to be where they filmed that water park scene from Norbit.

thefro

Could be awesome with all the different slides coming out of the volcano and the thematic elements you could add. Also you can probably pack a lot of stuff in there by building up vertically.

Lots of things they can do to leapfrog Disney there since Blizzard Beach is 20 years old.

Smart use of the land since it encourages people to stay on site and they could use the Wet 'n Wild land for something else down the road potentially.

muteki

Not any new info really, really just making official what was generally known.

Tons of potential, but not much to be gleamed from that concept art other than it is a waterpark with a volcano in the middle.

see5harp

Yea so last Friday, that Disneyland 24 hour day was completely insane. I was just driving on the freeway and I saw cars lined up for miles just trying to exit on Katella. For some idiotic reason I thought it was a good idea to try and go on Memorial Day. Even that was just madness.

Top Bottom