• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Leeness

Yep, it's been raining for a few days. Were you here for vacation? I know those feels. I went to Florida for a vacation and their mansion was closed for renovations.

I was, yeah. Only thing that really got "ruined" were fireworks last night and Haunted Mansion being closed, but yeah... Colder and more showery than Vancouver has been for the past week, SMH.

Oh well. Was still in DISNEYLAND! Everything was wonderful, and now the post-Disney depression is setting in. :'(

zeemumu

gotcha! That's cool.

Funny thing is, even after he was gone they still used him on all the merchandise.

Edit: I saw him! He looks fantastic in person. The effect is flawless.

My only problem is that he's the most technologically advanced thing in there at the moment so there's a big difference between him and everything else in terms of quality, kinda like the new Mara overlay in Indiana Jones. But that's a nitpick. I'm happy to have him back.

Goldrusher

Gotta love a nice queue...

DSC_5923.jpg

DSC_5858.jpg

DSC_5863.jpg

DSC_5866.jpg

DSC_5868.jpg

DSC_5871.jpg

DSC_5880.jpg

DSC_5876.jpg

DSC_5877.jpg

DSC_5888.jpg

DSC_5901.jpg

DSC_5907.jpg

DSC_5911.jpg

DSC_5910.jpg

DSC_5913.jpg

DSC_5920.jpg

The ride itself is one of these motion simulator things...

The Forbidden Caves, Bobbejaanland
new this year

Bentendo

Are there any ideas on just how big Pandora will be at AK? I've seen the overhead images and it looks enormous and I wanted to know maybe how big it is compared to other lands at Disney parks.

aparisi2274

has anyone seen these new shots from Reign of Kong at IOA... The entrance to the ride building is going to be amazing...

17502585735_851510da59_o.png

17500444852_dccb9ec256_o.png

(Edit: I did not snap these, I came across them on twitter)

Xun

has anyone seen these new shots from Reign of Kong at IOA... The entrance to the ride building is going to be amazing...

That looks fantastic so far! It'll be good to see it all finished.

Universal is on a roll.

So good ol' Hatetofly (leaked Kong and others) tweeted about Nintendo, suggesting that the expansion will have a focus on interactivity. This could be really interesting, since interactive rides really haven't been explored too much in theme parks. There's the odd shooter attraction here and there, but the guest's influence on the experience is generally pretty minimal. I wonder how far Universal can push this idea? It could be the next huge innovation in ride technology.

So good ol' Hatetofly (leaked Kong and others) tweeted about Nintendo, suggesting that the expansion will have a focus on interactivity. This could be really interesting, since interactive rides really haven't been explored too much in theme parks. There's the odd shooter attraction here and there, but the guest's influence on the experience is generally pretty minimal. I wonder how far Universal can push this idea? It could be the next huge innovation in ride technology.

This guy comes off like kind of a tool, but did he "leak" Kong, or did he start saying it when everyone basically knew about it?

muteki

Looks a bit out of place on a bright sunny day, but fantastic all the same. Old Kong was amazing to me as a kid, can't wait to ride the new one.

Looks a bit out of place on a bright sunny day, but fantastic all the same. Old Kong was amazing to me as a kid, can't wait to ride the new one.

Probably needs more vegetation covering it so it looks like its in the middle of a jungle. The entrance looks really cool.
Cant wait to see wait the make in the future with Nintendo. I would love to see Peach's castle.

I would rather see Zelda's castle, or Bowser's. All right next to Hogwarts.

Its very likely they got Nintendo rights becuase they are looking for the Disney audience that right now they dont have.
With a castle of princesses similar to disney's/minnie they are catering that crowd. Wouldnt surpise me a huge use of something like Elsa Rosalina in the parks for meet and greets for girls.
And next to hogwarts theres 0 space. Would make sense something like Peach's castle just beside the lagoon at toon's lagoon.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Rougarou is now open at Cedar Point. Supposed to be a lot more fun now that the seat types have changed. Hoping to check it out soon.

I expect a huge improvement over Mantis.

They also installed softer OTS restraints on Maverick, the same kind Intimidator 305 has. The old Maverick restraints were really uncomfortable for me, so I'm really happy about this.

Its very likely they got Nintendo rights becuase they are looking for the Disney audience that right now they dont have.
With a castle of princesses similar to disney's/minnie they are catering that crowd. Wouldnt surpise me a huge use of something like Elsa Rosalina in the parks for meet and greets for girls.
And next to hogwarts theres 0 space. Would make sense something like Peach's castle just beside the lagoon at toon's lagoon.

Bulldoze Toon Lagoon, it's nothing but trash.

I expect a huge improvement over Mantis.

They also installed softer OTS restraints on Maverick, the same kind Intimidator 305 has. The old Maverick restraints were really uncomfortable for me, so I'm really happy about this.

Good news for both. Maverick's become far more uncomfortable lately.

Dudley and Popeye are great mang

Nintendo is going in Kidzone according to everything I'm reading on forums.

People who have some in sight at Universal or just opinions like me saying Toon Lagoon.
I wouldnt take much consideration to them until its all said at done.

I think kidszone is a TERRIBLE choice because of space and theming type (city facades do not work well with Nintendo, and thats what that park is about, even on the simpsons and harry potter USF zones).
But thats my opinion, if at the end is kidszone, I dont know how they are going to shoehorn it there.

Jag

I find it bizarre that there's still a Dudley Do-Right ride operating at a world-famous theme park in 2015.

Never been to Florida, though, so my opinion isn't worth much.

No you are correct. The rides are fine, but the pop references are about 60 years out of date.

My son does love his Dagwood sandwich though.
BfmZAJa.jpg

Never looked at this one too closely.
lfr1twr.jpg

Would universal hard fanboys be angry about tearing down toon lagoon to put Nintendo?
Its not like Toon Lagoon and Marvel Land have excellent theming that portray their franchises. In fact everything looks really tacky, like RCT2-RCT3 I dont know how to theme kind of tacky.

muteki

People who have some in sight at Universal or just opinions like me saying Toon Lagoon.

I think kidszone is a TERRIBLE choice because of space and theming type (city facades do not work well with Nintendo, and thats what that park is about, even on the simpsons and harry potter USF zones).
But thats my opinion, if at the end is kidszone, I dont know how they are going to shoehorn it there.

They were throwing around the idea on Parkscope that in the case of it coming to Kidszone that either MIB and/or ET could go to make room. It would still be a tight fit though.

Someone did the math and Kidzone is already big enough to to hold the Gringotts show building plus more. And it's right next to a massive expansion plot that can use as much of as they want.

Regarding theming, 99% of the land will be bulldozed, so it'll basically be from scratch.

They were throwing around the idea on Parkscope that in the case of it coming to Kidszone that either MIB and/or ET could go to make room. It would still be a tight fit though.

Someone did the math and Kidzone is already big enough to to hold the Gringotts show building plus more. And it's right next to a massive expansion plot that can use as much of as they want.

Regarding theming, 99% of the land will be bulldozed, so it'll basically be from scratch.

So opinions then.
For me, it less about the space, and more about how USF is designed compared to Islands of Adventure. As I said before USF has a very tight design, as its only uses studio or cities facades. Even with things like the old Jaws ride, it was themed areound Amity. The Simpsons? Springfield. Harry Potter? London. Kidszone? studio facades, etc...
Sinceresly, what would you do with Nintendo. Kyoto? Crappy idea, as you dont think Kyoto when you think about Nintendo characters.
The only thing that wold really work there, would be a nintendo expansion (apart from the land used in IoA) using the Pokemon franchise, where you can easily theme it to one of the Pokemon cities, with a pokecenter, a gym, a professor's lab...
Thats or Earthbound, and im pretty sure we are never going to see Earthbound at Universal lol
In IoA you can put castles, buildings with strange forms and sizes, forests, rivers and lakes... Is something were Nitendo works better.
Of course kidszone is in a worse state that toon lagoon and needs a rehab ASAP (and thats why I think most of the opinions are putting it there), but I dont think is where the first Nitendo zone will work best.

For all what we know I could be wrong (as its my opionion only)at the end and Universal decided to do something strange with kidszone to make it a Nitendo zone, but I really hope thats not the case.

So opinions then.
For me, it less about the space, and more about how USF is designed compared to Islands of Adventure. As I said before USF has a very tight design, as its only uses studio or cities facades. Even with things like the old Jaws ride, it was themed areound Amity. The Simpsons? Springfield. Harry Potter? London. Kidszone? studio facades, etc...

And IoA only uses properties based on printed media, so Nintendo wouldn't fit there either (though Kong is already breaking that trend). At some point, theme has to give a little bit.

And IoA only uses properties based on printed media, so Nintendo wouldn't fit there either (though Kong is already breaking that trend). At some point, theme has to give a little bit.

I knew about this, but the problem that i have is that it doesnt translate to what the theming in the park looks (apart from the tackiness of Toon Lagoon and Marvel Island). And as you said, it was already broken with Kong so they dont seem to give a shit about that now (and good for them, because it was clearly restricting them).

When I was talking about the not liking it in kidszone, it was more about the feel of both parks, than any background rules they had. Like for example USF were clearly movie studios (even the city parts), and from some years know you can see that much of them are not city studio backdrops but recreations of real ones were the characters would live.
For me feel of the surroundings is MUCH more important than some arbitrary rules (as someone who wanted to be an imagineer, and always thinking about how theming could work on parks, reading tons of books and the like). Thats why I much prefer Nintendo to be on IoA than USF.

Xun

I knew about this, but the problem that i have is that it doesnt translate to what the theming in the park looks (apart from the tackiness of Toon Lagoon and Marvel Island). And as you said, it was already broken with Kong so they dont seem to give a shit about that now (and good for them, because it was clearly restricting them).

When I was talking about the not liking it in kidszone, it was more about the feel of both parks, than any background rules they had. Like for example USF were clearly movie studios (even the city parts), and from some years know you can see that much of them are not city studio backdrops but recreations of real ones were the characters would live.
For me feel of the surroundings is MUCH more important than some arbitrary rules (as someone who wanted to be an imagineer, and always thinking about how theming could work on parks, reading tons of books and the like). Thats why I much prefer Nintendo to be on IoA than USF.
I most definitely agree.

It fits a lot better at IoA.

So I just found in another thread Iwata talking about the Universal partership. There was some mention in other threads in gaming of it probably not going to be a big thing (siix flags wii thing, the anime timed "rides" at Universal Japan...), of course we have talked here about Toon Lagoon or kidszone probably being viable spaces, but I didnt know this was going to be a really serious parternship for both companies until I read what iwata said. Maybe some of you already read it somewhere, but for me its new, as the PR didnt explain much.
Satoru Iwata said:
If I can talk a bit more about our just-announced alliance with Universal Parks & Resorts, we first met with them in April last year when I was visiting the U.S. on a business trip. We met with people from NBCUniversal who proposed the possibility of the theme park business to us. Even before then, the possibility of theme park attractions (with Nintendo IP) had become an often-discussed topic in society. Even inside Nintendo, the possibility had been discussed several times. But we had not made this a reality because, on each occasion, the time was not ripe yet or we were not able to find an appropriate partner with whom to work. In the case of our first meeting with Universal Parks & Resorts, they provided us with a very detailed proposal right from the beginning. Also, as we met right after they had opened the Harry Potter attractions, we were able to learn precisely how they had been created. We received a great deal of useful information from the first meeting for us to review if they possessed a corporate culture which would ensure us the ability to license our IP to them and to work well together. Since the proposal was so specific, as soon as I returned to Japan, I informed Mr. Miyamoto, of our company, and told him that I wanted to give positive consideration to it. Since then, we have met with them several times in Japan and in the U.S., and not only me and people who carry out our negotiations but also members from each company's creative side, namely, people who will be assigned to make the actual attractions and Nintendo's game producers who have been creating our games for many years. As a result, we confirmed that we share a lot of common ground between our corporate cultures, and because parts of the proposal made us really excited, we have decided to work together on a long-term basis.

This thing is certainly not and Springfield type of expansion, this is more akin to the JK Rowling's talks with Universal and a Harry Potter type of expansion thing for Universal parks.
They have already Universal's ride designers and Nintendo's creative people in talks, and long term basis type of expansion, this is going to be HUGE.
I can see Miyamoto being the reluctant guy until he entered Hogwarts and rode the ride. Probably his imagination was flying right at that moment. As a creative person, when I ride those rides or enter theme parks, thats usually what happens to me.

Xun

Shanghai Disneyland is starting to take shape a bit more:

http://www.themeparx.com/shanghai-disneyland/

So I just found in another thread Iwata talking about the Universal partership. There was some mention in other threads in gaming of it probably not going to be a big thing (siix flags wii thing, the anime timed "rides" at Universal Japan...), of course we have talked here about Toon Lagoon or kidszone probably being viable spaces, but I didnt know this was going to be a really serious parternship for both companies until I read what iwata said. Maybe some of you already read it somewhere, but for me its new, as the PR didnt explain much.

This thing is certainly not and Springfield type of expansion, this is more akin to the JK Rowling's talks with Universal and a Harry Potter type of expansion thing for Universal parks.
They have already Universal's ride designers and Nintendo's creative people in talks, and long term basis type of expansion, this is going to be HUGE.
I can see Miyamoto being the reluctant guy until he entered Hogwarts and rode the ride. Probably his imagination was flying right at that moment. As a creative person, when I ride those rides or enter theme parks, thats usually what happens to me.
It'll be good to see what they come up with together.

It'll be good to see what they come up with together.

Im pretty excited now that I read that, hoping something really cool comes out of it.

I made some years ago for an animation university project an hypothetical Nintendo Land build by Disney.
https://vimeo.com/24506373
Watching it now is not as good as I remember it lol. And some of the things would not happen on a million years (Onett or Fire Emblem, but it was never gonna happen project so why not go all out). Still some cool ideas there like the Luigi's Mansion interactive ride.

Some of the new Matterhorn effects in action...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4OIgV7eRF0

zSa5FeX.gif

I really like it. Matterhorn was one of the rides that was in refurbishement when I went some years ago, so I was pretty sad I couldnt go on it. Saw some videos and photos of the old yeti and this looks really good.
The lift hill animation idea is really cool and looks amazing and scary.
The broken bobsled was there before? becuase that was a really nice touch, having the disneyland logo and all that. I love "rides that go wrong" theming.

Top Bottom