• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

zeemumu

There was only one shot in the movie that was actually shot at the San Dimas Raging Waters IIRC.

Yep, that and the water slide scene in Norbit. There are a lot of filming locations near here. The Hill Valley Mall is about 15 minutes from here. The Reaver origin planet from Firefly/Serenity is up the street.

Users on Orlando United are suggesting that the water will turn to "lava" via red LEDs when the sun goes down. Would be pretty awesome to see the volcano erupt with that effect.

zeemumu

Imagine if, during the cooler months, the water-lava is heated :)

Imagine if they make it green slime during Halloween Horror Nights. That'd be pretty sweet.

Some news on that is that Jack the Clown is gonna be the icon again this year.

Jack-Tunnel-1024x641.jpg

http://knightnews.com/2015/05/universal-studios-to-celebrate-halloween-horror-nights-25th-anniversary/

zeemumu

A friend of mine is one of three people to redesign Jack for this year.

Oh yeah? That's pretty cool! It's always so much cooler when they have icons for the event. Bloody Mary was probably my favorite and I'm upset that I wasn't able to go to Orlando to see that.

aparisi2274

If you look closely at the volcano you can clearly see a drop tube at the top, so it's a safe bet to assume there will be some sort of water slide at the top of it.

Just left great America a hour ago, I rode everything in 5 hours. The new coaster Goliath is pretty great, the zero g inversions are awesome

zeemumu

I have faith they'll produce something as good as the two water parks at WDW.

It's good to see some decent competition for Disney, which should hopefully kick them into gear a bit more.

Oh I'm not using the comparison to degrade this park. Raging Waters is great, so a larger budget version would be fantastic.

So I'm taking a look at the Raptor Encounter in Universal Orlando right now. Some of Universal's photo op locations are impressive as hell between this and the Transformers one.

So I'm taking a look at the Raptor Encounter in Universal Orlando right now. Some of Universal's photo op locations are impressive as hell between this and the Transformers one.

I'm heading to Universal today and hope to get a look. The set and the raptor suit itself are seriously impressive from what I've seen.

So, I did a SoCal trip a week and a half ago. Disneyland reached capacity by 5pm on the 24 hour day. The line to get past security stretched past the world of Disney store.

Here's some general thoughts:
-Magic Mountain is AWFUL. They will never receive my business again. Two bad visits will ensure I never go again. This paints Six Flags in a bad light for me.
-DL>WDW. The newly plussed World of Color finally beat out Illuminations:Reflections of Earth.
-Paint The Night is worth sitting 2.5 hours for. It rocked. Here's a picture from the parade. Yay for the Nikon D3300!

zeemumu

So, I did a SoCal trip a week and a half ago. Disneyland reached capacity by 5pm on the 24 hour day. The line to get past security stretched past the world of Disney store.

-Magic Mountain is AWFUL. They will never receive my business again. Two bad visits will ensure I never go again. This paints Six Flags in a bad light for me.
-DL>WDW. The newly plussed World of Color finally beat out Illuminations:Reflections of Earth.
-Paint The Night is worth sitting 2.5 hours for. It rocked. Here's a picture from the parade. Yay for the Nikon D3300!

I need to go back on a day where the crowds won't suffocate me. Today would have been/is ideal because there's no Grad Night and it's a Monday. I don't think too many people go on a Monday.

What was terrible about magic mountain, always been semi interested in checking it out

I need to go back on a day where the crowds won't suffocate me. Today would have been/is ideal because there's no Grad Night and it's a Monday. I don't think too many people go on a Monday.

Crowds are so hard to predict. I was at Universal Orlando the past two Saturdays (!!) when they were having free concerts those nights (!!!!!) and surprisingly...the parks weren't all that busy. Kinda rough during peak times (12-4ish) as expected, but really not too bad overall. I didn't know what was going on.

What was terrible about magic mountain, always been semi interested in checking it out

I'm used to Cedar Fair and Disney style service; Six Flags, at least magic mountain, lacks any sort of customer service close to either of those standards. Low staffing, stacking trains, one train operation (on memorial day!), outrageous prices even by amusement park standards, and crappy line security (multiple line jumpers) are par for the course. Last year was a similar story, but I went on a less busy day.

It pretty much turns me off from visiting any other six flags in the near future.

Wondering if WDW will ever get World of Color. They eventually got Fantasmic (took 6 years though), even if the shows are just slightly different. Honestly thought they'd have it by now after that long Fantasmic delay.

Of course keeping it park exclusive would give people more reason for WDW fans to see the smaller Disney Land.

Where would you rank all the Disney night time shows?

zeemumu

Crowds are so hard to predict. I was at Universal Orlando the past two Saturdays (!!) when they were having free concerts those nights (!!!!!) and surprisingly...the parks weren't all that busy. Kinda rough during peak times (12-4ish) as expected, but really not too bad overall. I didn't know what was going on.

I downloaded the wait time app on my phone and check it before I decide to leave so I know what to expect.

Alternatively you can use this:

http://www.isitpacked.com/live-crowd-trackers/disneyland/

Outside of the rides themselves, nothing in there is very ideal.

I downloaded the wait time app on my phone and check it before I decide to leave so I know what to expect.

Alternatively you can use this:

http://www.isitpacked.com/live-crowd-trackers/disneyland/

Maybe Disneyland crowds are different. Universal Orlando crowds are generally pretty consistent in their dislike for early morning and post-4PM hours. Wait times for rides not named Spidey, Transformers, Gringotts, and Rip Ride Rockit drop off hard in the early evening (and those follow shortly after), and almost nothing has a significant wait before 11AM. Are DL crowds more consistent throughout the day? Haven't been in forever.

zeemumu

Maybe Disneyland crowds are different. Universal Orlando crowds are generally pretty consistent in their dislike for early morning and post-4PM hours. Wait times for rides not named Spidey, Transformers, Gringotts, and Rip Ride Rockit drop off hard in the early evening (and those follow shortly after), and almost nothing has a significant wait before 11AM. Are DL crowds more consistent throughout the day? Haven't been in forever.

Disneyland crowds are weird. You can tell when it's gonna get crowded (holidays being the worst and spring being the best), but annual pass crowds and special events mix things around. Like right now, for instance. Most days since the 60th, Haunted Mansion has been an upwards of 30 minutes for waiting because of people starting summer vacation and annual passholders going to see the hatbox ghost. Right now it's 25 minutes, which is lower than when I checked earlier. If anything, I expected the number to get higher at this time of day.

Are DL crowds more consistent throughout the day? Haven't been in forever.

The hours from 8am-12pm are absolutely glorious! There are little to no waits for practically everything. We got everything done at both parks during these hours. Soarin' and Radiator Springs were the only attractions with a wait more than an hour. These can be mitigated with fast passes. Midway Mania is much more manageable at open at DCA, too.

After 12pm, the flood comes in to both parks.

Where would you rank all the Disney night time shows?

Out of the ones I've watched myself (I'm throwing in night parades, too):

World of Color>Illuminations: Reflections of Earth>Paint The Night>Disneyland 60th Fireworks Celebration>Disneyland Soundsational Parade (this was at night last year)>Wishes>Spectromagic>Fantasmic (Only ever got to catch the WDW version of this)

zeemumu

The hours from 8am-12pm are absolutely glorious! There are little to no waits for practically everything. We got everything done at both parks during these hours. Soarin' and Radiator Springs were the only attractions with a wait more than an hour. These can be mitigated with fast passes. Midway Mania is much more manageable at open at DCA, too.

After 12pm, the flood comes in to both parks.

Out of the ones I've watched myself (I'm throwing in night parades, too):

World of Color>Illuminations: Reflections of Earth>Paint The Night>Disneyland 60th Fireworks Celebration>Disneyland Soundsational Parade (this was at night last year)>Wishes>Spectromagic>Fantasmic (Only ever got to catch the WDW version of this)

I'd probably rank DL Fantasmic first, then World of Color, then everything else I'm not sure on yet.

I've watched a video of the WDW Fantasmic. It doesn't seem great. Too much stock footage on the water screens and they replaced the Peter Pan part with Pocahontas because they don't have a ship.

Fantasmic is fun at Hollywood Studios, although it is a bit dated now. Although on a beautiful breezy night at that lake, it's very refreshing.

Illuminations is especially fun if you're there on an extra celebration night. I was fortunate enough to be present on the 25th Anniversary of Epcot, and 5 years later at the 30th Anniversary. The show is good but after the main Illuminations show, my god, the Fireworks display is like double, maybe even triple of the main show itself, was amazing.

Goldrusher

It will be interesting to find out what happened.
To my knowledge, never before have 2 coaster trains collided mid-circuit.
And there are over 10,000 roller coasters in the world, many in the shadiest of places.

Holy fuck.

That ride's been a terrible idea since it opened. Shut it down, Alton.

EDIT: Reading through the details... Trains stopping at the bottom of the loop have been a serious problem since opening. The Towers are going to cop some serious shit for this one.

Holy fuck.

That ride's been a terrible idea since it opened. Shut it down, Alton.

EDIT: Reading through the details... Trains stopping at the bottom of the loop have been a serious problem since opening. The Towers are going to cop some serious shit for this one.

Yeah, between delays, the bolt issue, the wheel cover or bearing or whatever flying off one, yeah, this thing still running blows my mind.

Top Bottom