• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Jesus fucking Christ you don't need to bring your entire fucking party of five people to store one bag in the Gringotts lockers you fucking fucks AGGGHHHHHHHH /RAGE

Jesus fucking Christ you don't need to bring your entire fucking party of five people to store one bag in the Gringotts lockers you fucking fucks AGGGHHHHHHHH /RAGE

Havent been on Gringotts yet, but this always infuriated me with the Forbidden Journey lockers too! Such a cramped space anyway without unnecessary people just standing there in the way!

But I guess that's just lockers at busy places in general really :L

Havent been on Gringotts yet, but this always infuriated me with the Forbidden Journey lockers too! Such a cramped space anyway without unnecessary people just standing there in the way!

But I guess that's just lockers at busy places in general really :L

The locker situation at Forbidden Journey and Gringotts are probably my biggest gripes with the resort right now. It's just lousy. When Gringotts originally opened, you could enter the line with your bag, then get out of line at a certain point to store it in a locker, then use a special ticket to reenter and rejoin your party. This ensured that only one person from each group entered the lockers and it went way more smoothly. No idea why they stopped doing that. FJ's queue would probably make it difficult to use a similar strategy, but there has to be something they can do. Negotiating a mass of sweaty bodies is never fun :(

aparisi2274

It's been a while, so I forgot how nuts the launch+zero-g roll on Hulk is from the back row. I'm still shook.

I love that launch... shame the rest of the ride is so bumpy and jarring. I hope that during the planned downtime, they replace wheels and what not, or whatever they need to replace, to bring it back to its smoother days...

I love that launch... shame the rest of the ride is so bumpy and jarring. I hope that during the planned downtime, they replace wheels and what not, or whatever they need to replace, to bring it back to its smoother days...

Rumor mill is suggesting a bunch of enhancements like retracking, a new queue, and new trains with audio. I'm sure they'll smooth things out.

zeemumu

It's been a while, so I forgot how nuts the launch+zero-g roll on Hulk is from the back row. I'm still shook.

The first (and only) time I went on that ride was for a Florida trip on my birthday. When we went in the weather was fine. The moment we launched out of that tunnel I realized that it had started raining and the rain was like hundreds of tiny rocks pelting me in the face. It brought my enjoyment down a bit but I still liked the ride.

My biggest surprise through that whole trip was that you guys have an Astro Blasters-esque Men In Black ride. Shame I couldn't find a neuralizer in the gift shop.

aparisi2274

Anyone been to Seaworld Orlando lately? Are their coasters still running? Keep hearing they're down all the time.

I havent seen/read anything on screamscape to say that they are down, but that could be that no one is reporting it..

I have been following the progress of Mako, and its looking pretty good.

My biggest surprise through that whole trip was that you guys have an Astro Blasters-esque Men In Black ride. Shame I couldn't find a neuralizer in the gift shop.

Men in Black is great! Some really nice sets and props in the ride. And the single rider line is like the shortest line for any ride ever. It probably tops out at 10 minutes during absolute peak times lol.

zeemumu

Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters is apparently what's replacing the flying tires in Radiator Springs.

EDIT: Finally got off my ass and went to universal studios. For some reason everyone stopped at the bottom of the escalator so I started getting crushed by the people getting escalated behind me.

There's a lot of HHN setup going on.

Jag

Any water park recommendation for Orlando? Are there only 2 big ones? Wet N Wild and Aquatica? Are they fairly similar?

Also, anything else to do for a day in Orlando for kids besides the Disney and Universal parks? (not sure what Downtown Disney is).

We have a free day and are really burnt out on both parks since we have been only going to the parks exclusively for a few years on long weekends.

aparisi2274

Any water park recommendation for Orlando? Are there only 2 big ones? Wet N Wild and Aquatica? Are they fairly similar?

Also, anything else to do for a day in Orlando for kids besides the Disney and Universal parks? (not sure what Downtown Disney is).

We have a free day and are really burnt out on both parks since we have been only going to the parks exclusively for a few years on long weekends.

I really like Aquatica, not to say that WnW is not good, but I like Aquatica more.

As for something for kids, why not go to Legoland? Probably be a nice change of pace from Disney and Universal and I'm sure your kids will love it.

Jag

I really like Aquatica, not to say that WnW is not good, but I like Aquatica more.

As for something for kids, why not go to Legoland? Probably be a nice change of pace from Disney and Universal and I'm sure your kids will love it.

Thanks. Did Legoland in San Diego a few years ago. It was kind of young even for my 11 year old. He found it boring. He's an extreme thrill ride seeker.

brerwolfe

I really enjoyed Blizzard Beach at Disney when I went two years ago. Surprised me with how clean it was.

And it's not exactly inexpensive, but I absolutely loved the Kennedy Space Center. I don't know if I liked it more because I've lived in Orlando for so long and had personal experiences with shuttle launches and landings, but I thought it was fantastic. Takes about an hour to drive there from Universal area (not sure where you're staying).

Jag

I really enjoyed Blizzard Beach at Disney when I went two years ago. Surprised me with how clean it was.

And it's not exactly inexpensive, but I absolutely loved the Kennedy Space Center. I don't know if I liked it more because I've lived in Orlando for so long and had personal experiences with shuttle launches and landings, but I thought it was fantastic. Takes about an hour to drive there from Universal area (not sure where you're staying).

We did Kennedy 2 years ago. Great place, but not ready to go back. Especially since we just spent 6 hours at the Air and Space in DC and another 4 hours at the Udvar-Hazy hangar annex by Dulles last week. At this point we've seen 3 of the 4 remaining Shuttles!

Go to Seaworld. You can probably get a combo ticket with Aquatica. There are some roller coasters there too.

Nelo Ice

Banned

I just went last year and yeah of the 2 Disney water parks Blizzard Beach was better. Summit Plummet is the shit.

zeemumu

So I did finally end up riding Fast and Furious Supercharged. It was fun but the screens looked kinda dim and it wasn't worth the spike in attendance that it caused.

1134175.jpg

aparisi2274

So I am in the early stages of booking a trip down to Orlando in Oct, and jesus, everything is getting so expensive..

I am deciding if I should stay a few days at Disney and then a few at Uni Orlando at Cabana Bay, but lord, ticket prices are nuts.

If I wanted to go to Uni Orlando for 1 day and do both parks with unlimited express, its like $280. If I add HHN with an express pass, we're looking at close to $380 for one day at Universal.

I think for 4 or 5 days at Pop Century with a 3 Day park hopper was like $700 in change...

I am looking for rack rates and things like that, but when I select those packages, I am being told that there are no more rooms left...

So annoying...

So I am in the early stages of booking a trip down to Orlando in Oct, and jesus, everything is getting so expensive..

I am deciding if I should stay a few days at Disney and then a few at Uni Orlando at Cabana Bay, but lord, ticket prices are nuts.

If I wanted to go to Uni Orlando for 1 day and do both parks with unlimited express, its like $280. If I add HHN with an express pass, we're looking at close to $380 for one day at Universal.

I think for 4 or 5 days at Pop Century with a 3 Day park hopper was like $700 in change...

I am looking for rack rates and things like that, but when I select those packages, I am being told that there are no more rooms left...

So annoying...

Yeah, whenever we stay at Disney we just pay for a shuttle to pick us up and take us to and from rather than staying at both. (Hell, sometimes we even take the Lynx bus from Disney's TTT center, not too bad)

The special perks are really nice for staying at UO though, so it's hard to resist, but when it's still not too bad.

aparisi2274

Yeah, whenever we stay at Disney we just pay for a shuttle to pick us up and take us to and from rather than staying at both. (Hell, sometimes we even take the Lynx bus from Disney's TTT center, not too bad)

The special perks are really nice for staying at UO though, so it's hard to resist, but when it's still not too bad.

The express pass perk that they offer at UO is only with their deluxe hotels, and not with Cabana Bay...

Right now, I have it mapped out something like this:

Mon-Thurs @ Coronado Springs WDW with a 3 DAy PH ticket. ($960)

Thurs-Sun @ Cabana Bay UO with a 1 day/2park ticket and express pass ($774)

Airfare is like $300(and change)

I still would need to factor in things like:

Halloween Horror Nights with express pass (as you can see, I hate waiting in lines)
Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party

oi vey

The express pass perk that they offer at UO is only with their deluxe hotels, and not with Cabana Bay...

Halloween Horror Nights with express pass (as you can see, I hate waiting in lines)

oi vey

Do you play on using single rider lines at Universal? They're offered for most attractions and can dramatically decrease your waits. Prolly don't need express if you use them. I'd recommend express for HHN, though.

oi vey

LOVE Coronado Springs! It's my go-to resort. It's pretty much a premium resort for a Moderate price. This year we're doing Art of Animation for something different though.

Yikes though that you can't do the pass with Cabana bay. I mean, if you have the means, or not gonna do another trip for a while, then I say go for it. You guys planning on doing Sea World at all?

The Halloween parties are a must, especially Disney since you can dress up, although Universal has some cool scare houses and fun Adult events.

brerwolfe

I would love an express pass for HHN but the price doesn't make sense to me. The last couple years we've just gotten a frequent fear pass and go multiple times throughout the month. We'll usually pick one night to try and get all the houses, then the other times just do three or four and save the rest for later visits.

I haven't looked at pricing this year, yet, but I think our frequent fear prices (with my employee discount) were like $80 apiece.

aparisi2274

I would love an express pass for HHN but the price doesn't make sense to me. The last couple years we've just gotten a frequent fear pass and go multiple times throughout the month. We'll usually pick one night to try and get all the houses, then the other times just do three or four and save the rest for later visits.

I haven't looked at pricing this year, yet, but I think our frequent fear prices (with my employee discount) were like $80 apiece.

Not living anywhere near Orlando (NYC), and only having one night to go to HHN, the express pass is a must for me, as I want to see ALL houses.

aparisi2274

Do you play on using single rider lines at Universal? They're offered for most attractions and can dramatically decrease your waits. Prolly don't need express if you use them. I'd recommend express for HHN, though.

Are these still the current crop of rides offering single rider lines:

Universal Studios Florida
Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit
MEN IN BLACK Alien Attack
Revenge of the Mummy
Transformers: The Ride 3-D

Islands of Adventure
The Amazing Adventure of Spider-Man
Dr. Doom's Fearfall
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey

If it is, then it seems the only ride I would have to wait on a long line for would be the Hulk coaster...

If this list is accurate, then maybe you are right, and I can skip the express pass.

aparisi2274

LOVE Coronado Springs! It's my go-to resort. It's pretty much a premium resort for a Moderate price. This year we're doing Art of Animation for something different though.

Yikes though that you can't do the pass with Cabana bay. I mean, if you have the means, or not gonna do another trip for a while, then I say go for it. You guys planning on doing Sea World at all?

The Halloween parties are a must, especially Disney since you can dress up, although Universal has some cool scare houses and fun Adult events.

I've stayed at Pop, AKL, Contemp, ASMov, so I want to try somewhere new... Glad to hear that Coronado is nice.

Is it worth the few extra $$$ for a preferred room? It's most likely just going to be me, so no kids to deal with it...

Are these still the current crop of rides offering single rider lines:

Universal Studios Florida
Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit
MEN IN BLACK Alien Attack
Revenge of the Mummy
Transformers: The Ride 3-D

Islands of Adventure
The Amazing Adventure of Spider-Man
Dr. Doom's Fearfall
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey

If it is, then it seems the only ride I would have to wait on a long line for would be the Hulk coaster...

If this list is accurate, then maybe you are right, and I can skip the express pass.

Hulk had single rider open when I was there two weeks ago. I think Ripsaw Falls also has it occasionally. If you didn't see my above post, Spider-Man's was closed down last Saturday at around 7PM, so maybe try to hit that early. I think it's an anomaly though, since I hit Forbidden Journey, Gringotts, Mummy, and Transformers all after that and their single rider lines were open. Spidey's single rider line is just a bit finicky for some reason.

I wouldn't recommend it for Rip Ride Rockit unless the line is damn near empty. Single rider always moves really slow for it. On the other hand, Men in Black is pretty much a walk on all day every day. Generally though, single rider will save you a massive amount of time.

Just a random tip: if you're alone and have no bags, and there's a line to get into the Forbidden Journey lockers (interior area under the castle), just tell an attendant at the ride entrance that you're going single with no bags and they'll let you bypass the line. It's a neat trick that might help you.

aparisi2274

Hulk had single rider open when I was there two weeks ago. I think Ripsaw Falls also has it occasionally. If you didn't see my above post, Spider-Man's was closed down last Saturday at around 7PM, so maybe try to hit that early. I think it's an anomaly though, since I hit Forbidden Journey, Gringotts, Mummy, and Transformers all after that and their single rider lines were open. Spidey's single rider line is just a bit finicky for some reason.

I wouldn't recommend it for Rip Ride Rockit unless the line is damn near empty. Single rider always moves really slow for it. On the other hand, Men in Black is pretty much a walk on all day every day. Generally though, single rider will save you a massive amount of time.

Just a random tip: if you're alone and have no bags, and there's a line to get into the Forbidden Journey lockers (interior area under the castle), just tell an attendant at the ride entrance that you're going single with no bags and they'll let you bypass the line. It's a neat trick that might help you.

I've been on the FJ SRL, and I remember just coming off and walking right back onto the SRL... think I went on that ride about 8x in a row...

What I usually do is get to USF early, maybe like 1030am, go to IOA, do everything there, then go to USF and do everything there... I try to do HHN the same day I am at the parks, so it'll be a park to park ticket, with an HHN add on and express pass for HHN.

I've been on the FJ SRL, and I remember just coming off and walking right back onto the SRL... think I went on that ride about 8x in a row...

What I usually do is get to USF early, maybe like 1030am, go to IOA, do everything there, then go to USF and do everything there... I try to do HHN the same day I am at the parks, so it'll be a park to park ticket, with an HHN add on and express pass for HHN.

Agreed about USF first. Get there early and use single rider lines, and you'll knock out nearly everything except for shows in around two hours probably. I'd recommend Transformers first (it fills up fast and seems to draw larger waits than Gringotts...at least when I've been there recently), then Gringotts, then Men in Black (since you're back there already), then maybe Simpsons if the wait is 20 minutes or lower, and finally Mummy. You could slide Rockit in there somewhere depending on wait times. After that, catch the train to Hogsmeade and hit FJ and Dragon Challenge (no single rider, but almost always has short waits). From there you could easily loop around to Marvel and knock out Spidey, Hulk, and Doom. Water rides could throw that plan a bit off if you want to do them, but idk. In October...probably only Ripsaw Falls would build significant waits. That covers most of the heavy hitters, at least. For lunch, I would recommend Fast Food Boulevard (Springfield), Leaky Cauldron, Thunder Falls Terrace (Jurassic Park), or Mythos.

aparisi2274

Agreed about USF first. Get there early and use single rider lines, and you'll knock out nearly everything except for shows in around two hours probably. I'd recommend Transformers first (it fills up fast and seems to draw larger waits than Gringotts...at least when I've been there recently), then Gringotts, then Men in Black (since you're back there already), then maybe Simpsons if the wait is 20 minutes or lower, and finally Mummy. You could slide Rockit in there somewhere depending on wait times. After that, catch the train to Hogsmeade and hit FJ and Dragon Challenge (no single rider, but almost always has short waits). From there you could easily loop around to Marvel and knock out Spidey, Hulk, and Doom. Water rides could throw that plan a bit off if you want to do them, but idk. In October...probably only Ripsaw Falls would build significant waits. That covers most of the heavy hitters, at least. For lunch, I would recommend Fast Food Boulevard (Springfield), Leaky Cauldron, Thunder Falls Terrace (Jurassic Park), or Mythos.

Also remember, that when I am going, its usually medium level crowds to begin with it... even normal lines do not have a long wait...

I waited like 35min on the main queue for FJ back in 2012... I think the longest line at one point was for Spider-Man and over at USF, Transformers, because it had just opened that year.

I may upgrade to a 2-Day park to park ticket, so I can relax and not rush through everything in one day.

My itinerary now is something like

Mon - A disney park
Tues - A Disney Park
Wed- A Disney Park
Thurs- Uni
Fri - Uni
Sat - Discovery Cove

Goldrusher

Dollywood 2016

Dollywood today announced the addition of Lightning Rod, both the world’s fastest wood coaster and the world’s first launching wood coaster. Opening in March 2016, Lightning Rod adds another groundbreaking roller coaster (Dollywood now has eight!) to the park’s already impressive portfolio of world-class attractions. The $22 million coaster also marks the single largest attraction investment in The Dollywood Company’s history.

Themed after a tricked out 1950s-era hot rod, Lightning Rod launches riders from zero to 45 mph more than 20 stories up its lift hill to one of the ride’s first airtime moments. At the crest of the hill, riders face twin summit airtime hills before tackling the daring first drop. Lightning Rod races down the 165-foot drop and propels guests along its 3,800-ft. track to a top speed of 73 mph, the fastest speed for a wood coaster in the world, topping the 72mph top speed of Goliath at Six Flags Great America.

“Lightning Rod reminds me so much of those colorful cars cruisin’ up and down Main Street in downtown Sevierville back when I was in high school. I remember all those souped up cars; but what I remember most were those good lookin’ boys behind the wheel with those flat top and ducktail haircuts,” Dolly Parton said with a laugh.

“I’m truly excited about this ride because it will let our guests experience something just as fast as those hot rods I remember,” she continued. “Even better, it’s the fastest wooden roller coaster in the world, so I think we’re going to see a lot of people coming from all over to peel out on the Lightning Rod.”

Located in Dollywood’s Jukebox Junction, Lightning Rod rockets riders around its massive wooden structure on an adrenaline-charged lap through the trees in the hills and valleys surrounding Dollywood. During the ride, guests experience nearly 20 seconds of airtime. The coaster train is comprised of 12 cars, carrying two passengers each, for a total of 24 people per train.

Dollywood’s development team has tapped Rocky Mountain Construction (RMC) as the ride manufacturer. RMC is no stranger to out-of-the-box coaster projects, having designed a number of innovative attractions around the world. Lightning Rod employs several unique features including the lift hill launch, twin summit airtime hills, a 90+ degree banked breaking wave turn, a 90+ degree outside banked turn, and a non-inverting half loop.

Lightning Rod puts riders in the driver’s seat of Johnny Rev’s newest hot rod. After months of tinkering, Johnny invites Dollywood guests to step behind the wheel for the first test drive of his flashy new creation. Like any proper hot rod, massive header pipes and an imposing injector scoop peer out from the train’s flamed bodywork.

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFXbryGHMuw

Dollywood 2016 announcement live stream in 45 mins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TolqBDMf1ZU&sf39812598=1

(rumored to be the world's first "launched wooden coaster")

Going to watch it while I work on phtooshop. Thanks!

EDIT
Lol, Im sill baffled why Dolly Parton has a freaking theme park. Just hearing her talk here is like, why the fuck where you interested in the first place. Its not like Michael Jackson, where you understand why he loved them (even if at the end it was never done). It just sounds like a parody for a tv series about a singer that got too famous or something.
Well, the lightining Hot rod seems like a ton of fun.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
My God. It's like Outlaw Run on steroids. I love how the track layout weaves in and out of the hills. This will be incredible.

My God. It's like Outlaw Run on steroids. I love how the track layout weaves in and out of the hills. This will be incredible.

Dollywood is godlike at integrating their coasters with the mountain environment. Just a fantastic park. I've been there twice, and it was stunningly beautiful and well kept. Killer food, too :)

zeemumu

Knotts has been unusually silent about their Halloween Haunt lineup. Universals already revealed several houses and started construction.

That means that it will either be awesome or canceled, but from what I can tell they're still hiring scareactors so it's most likely still on.

Cedar Point's 2016 project effectively leaked out this week. They're releasing an app on the day of the announcement that will presumably allow you to "experience" Valravn before it's built. The app was put up early on the Google Play store, and people peaked into the code and found presumably everything about the new coaster.

It's a 200+ft B&M Dive coaster. Pretty much just like everyone expected.

e27cbb172ae892069b7ae32cf150bd5b.jpg

a42c235c332b731ce2edc06689f436cc.jpg

a7104cb6868805862a931056d1c3dfec.jpg

4d741acdb1cc1bd11c12eec6b1b8e866.jpg

df994dfce73553ca7b35a2b6dab1bd91.jpg

e162e81ed873fc0bca10fc5f1d4494d8.jpg

Someone's guess as to where it will fit in at the park:

8de65726065d7ea3e15d773170335a9c.jpg

And someone created a coaster based on that in NoLimits 2. Unsure of how accurate it will end up being: https://youtu.be/0wMszR-4gNs

zeemumu

Prolly...Spidey's is off the beaten path :l

There should be like two rules for theme parks

1. No entering the single rider line with a large party

2. Never, ever book Pirates or Haunted Mansion for Fastpass+, for the good of all of us

Mansion is rarely busy outside of Haunted Mansion holiday season and really hot days. I've only seen them open the regular Fastpass line a few times.

I think it was Confucius that said - "If everything is FastPass, then nothing is".

Team Disney Orlando just doesn't care.

Since FP+ was added to most everything at the resort, no line is fast moving anymore. Attractions like Omnimovers have no need for any virtual queuing.

WDW has become a chore. At least Anaheim is still enjoyable. Just show up and have fun. No waking up in the middle of the night months out to plan everything down to the last minute.

*BTW - I'm saying this as a Disney Parks Premier passholder that visits both coasts many times a year. Although, in recent times, we spend more time in Anaheim and when in Orlando - increasingly more time at Universal. There is nothing quite like Universal's Unlimited Express Pass.

Top Bottom