• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are only 4 northern white rhinos left on earth (Update: 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
rhino-with-us-flag.jpg
Dragging our national identity into their own stupidity for that extra level of douchebag.

Cat Party

With such a small genetic pool to draw from, even if artificial insemination works... won't it lead to all sorts of problems for the progeny?

The white rhino is functionally extinct.

Again, there are 20K white rhinos. This is a subspecies. It's sad, but we're not losing an entire species here.

Joni

With that amount left, why not just round them up in a zoo? I'd think that would give more possibilities in protecting the species.

With such a small genetic pool to draw from, even if artificial insemination works... won't it lead to all sorts of problems for the progeny?
They'll intercross them with the Southern ones.

I'm willing to bet the stress applied to the animals would great decrease the prospects of mating. Also, it sounds like it's just one of the four females at another location.

WTF do you even do with a Rhino corpse? Mount the head or something? The rest of the corpse just rots away because you want to stare at a dead Rhino's head on your wall?

I'll never understand that trophy hunting shit.
The justification is usually that the animal to be killed is old/lame and the hunters pay a lot of money for the privilege of shooting it, and the meat is distributed to the locals. I don't know if collecting a trophy to mount is part of it.

Sch1sm

Low sperm count on the male. Well.

That's that, then. Should still try getting it to impregnate Najin, but then there's no way to tell if she'd even have a male. So, RIP.

Maybe this will kickstart some more preservation legislation in the first world for even the species just barely bordering extinction.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
They can do that, but it takes a rhino a year and a half to give birth to a single calf, and they can only have 10 or so in their lifetime. Recovery would take forever, even if we ignore the severe genetic bottleneck

I remember reading, the last time this thread topic came around, that they haven't quite figured out fertilization in rhinos, or whatever it was that was the problem, and odds are like 50/50 it would even work.

Waldini

I really just don't understand how ANY human can kill another living being? I just can't. Money? Sport? Fuck off.

4 .... FOUR. F-O-U-R are left. Fucking hell.

Things like this makes me sick to my stomach.

warthog

What the fuck is wrong with some people. Why do they want to prove they are complete scum so bad?? Are they really that stupid beyond any scale that they believe it proves their manliness or whatever, fuck that.

Always so sad to see a species (or sub-species in this case) disappear forever.
Those fucking losers in the pics above can burn in hell.

CTLance

Humanity was a mistake.

it's nothing but trash.
The gravity of the world’s current extinction rate becomes clearer upon knowing what it was before people came along. A new estimate finds that species die off as much as 1,000 times more frequently nowadays than they used to. That’s 10 times worse than the old estimate of 100 times.

Joni

While hunting for sport is despicable, the ivory is the problem here. Species was absolutely destroyed 40 years ago.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
please keep that asshole dentist far from them

edit: beaten with a spiked mace like he should be

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
There isn't one at the San Diego Zoo. She's at what's now called the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. (formerly called the San Diego Wild Animal Park, but always owned by the same non-profit as the zoo)

While hunting for sport is despicable, the ivory is the problem here. Species was absolutely destroyed 40 years ago.

There's no ivory on these animals.

bengraven

If we can't get a viable embryo from elderly rhino spunk and some donor eggs, then how the fuck are we even considering cloning dinosaurs?

StayDead

Agreed. I'm a avid hunter but I eat and store the meat I kill. Elk (good luck getting a bull tag) but Deer mostly. I also like to dove hunt (they are delicious!).

If you realised the animals you were hunting to eat were in danger or their numbers were thinning, you would stop right?

J-Fr

I remember there was a thread a year ago about the 6 remaining northern white rhinos.

The poor rhino he almost look's like he knows he's the last one.

To those deciding to blame this all on America, you can also thank the UK. British East Africa is where African Safari hunts were born. Not to mention Chinese pseudo-medicines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom