• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are only 4 northern white rhinos left on earth (Update: 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerBEA

o-SUDAN-NORTHERN-WHITE-RHINO-facebook.jpg

This is heart breaking, he looks so sad.

ronco2000

Sorry guys, but there's only three left now...I accidently killed one on my expedition to Africa. Paid $5 and blow pop for someone to take me hunting. I'm not a dentist though, I'm a gynecologist.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Sorry guys, but there's only three left now...I accidently killed one on my expedition to Africa. Paid $5 and blow pop for someone to take me hunting. I'm not a dentist though, I'm a gynecologist.

Could have been worse. At least you're not a proctologist.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Never seen a northern white rhino, but I did see an adult black rhino at the San Diego Zoo (not Safari Park) and for whatever reason while I watched it decided to CHARGE the whole length of its preserve (maybe a thousand feet or more). Holy shit was it incredible. It ran so fast, I've never seen anything as awesome in the traditional sense. I can't even describe it.

RCSI

I got the chance to see Nola (the one of the left), one of the Northern White Rhino pairs at the San Diego Zoo (Safari Park) last year, before one of them passed away; The one on the right was a Southern White Rhino. So sad to see these creatures succumb to our petty ways.

Why do you think buying slaughterhouse meat is better? At least hunters give their prey a quick death and are willing to do the dirty deed themselves.

I hunt deer,bear,elk,boar,gator and coyotes. The only thing I don't eat is coyote, those fuckers are bastards. Frankly wild game is more humane than farm raised food. You can eat your veal that spent its entire life in a box, I'll settle for back straps off a deer that has lived a full life free.

Hm. There are two issues here.

On one hand, I definitely agree with you guys, for my, and the animal's sake, if I had to eat meat, I'd rather eat the free roaming healthy animal that got to live a full life.

On the other hand, there's an issue about mankind ravaging and being unable to keep his hands out of the wild, and I think it's not his business to be meddling out there, when it's clear that we're fucking things up before we even realize what's going on. Also, I've very angry about the idea that a long lived animal who may be nearly as old, or much older than a human, could be hunted down and killed by some a-holes who insist on hunting instead of getting their food another way. It's not as though Americans, for example, don't have the luxury of it.

Massive, long lived, majestic creatures... What a fucking joke that they could get run down because Billy Bob's legally allowed to purchase a gun. If society and technology didn't give us these things, most hunters wouldn't be out there doing what they do.

cameron

Now only 3 left. Countdown to the inevitable. Around this time last year, there were 6 left. Didn't want to make a new thread, so posting here:

AP: "Endangered white rhino dies at San Diego-area zoo"
SAN DIEGO (AP) — One of only four northern white rhinos believed left in the world died Sunday at San Diego Zoo Safari Park.

Nola, a 41-year-old female who has been at the park since 1989, was euthanized after her health took a turn for the worse, a zoo statement said.

The geriatric rhino had arthritis and other ailments and was being treated for a bacterial infection linked to an abscess in her hip.

Nola had surgery on Nov. 13 to drain the abscess but her health began to deteriorate about a week ago; her appetite faltered and she became listless. She worsened over the past 24 hours and vets decided they had to euthanize her, according to the zoo in Escondido.

"Nola was an iconic animal, not only at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, but worldwide," the park statement said.

The remaining three northern white rhinos, all elderly, are in a closely guarded preserve in Kenya.
This Dec. 31, 2014 file photo shows Nola, a northern white rhinoceros, in her enclosure at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park in Escondido, Calif. The Los Angeles Times reports that Zoo officials say Nola, 41, was euthanized early Sunday, Nov. 22, 2015 as she was suffering from a number of old-age ailments, including arthritis, and had also been treated for a recurring abscess on her hip. The rhino had been a draw at the Safari Park since 1986.
RIP, Nola.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom