• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

UnrealEck

getting off the rope is an extra button, its not "jump" or "cancel", its "drop down" and can be used to drop down ledges, too.

Aye, you're right. It is 'X' on PC. I knew I had to be missing something. I don't understand why they've done this to Thief. Just let me fall off a ledge. Let me drop off a rope when I get to the bottom. Let me jump freely and grab onto a ledge if I jump into it.
Furthermore, why the fuck is there even a button to do this? Just make it the crouch button.

Mendrox

Game is bad. Couldn't get into it even after 4 hours of play time. One of these rare games where I had really no fun. It's really too dark, the controls are bad (jumping to anything), graphics are so lala. Stealth is okayish, but nothing really exceptional... I didn't like it. Won't play again. :(

SJRB

Gold Member
Ugh.. Hopefully a retailer breaks street date and I can pick this fucking game up today. My patience is wearing thin seeing this shit getting livestreamed for days now.

I really hoped these segregated release schedules would be a thing of the past by now.

I was just playing there and quit from frustration. I pick up a valuable, Garrett is looking at it, meanwhile I'm trying to hurry because a guard is coming round behind me but I can't do anything until he stop looking at the object he just picked up. So naturally I get caught by the guard.
So fucking annoying. I had to start way back at a previous checkpoint and I had spent ages looting a bunch of stuff.

I guess this is a little late since you say you're giving up below, but swooping cancels Garrett's extended admiration animation, so you can get away quickly even after grabbing a collectible.

Ricker

This game is pissing me off. I was sneaking around trying to do one side mission for an hour, until I finally found that 1 spot in the level where it let me use my rope arrow. Who planned that bullshit?

I'm still stuck on 2 side missions on lvl 2. The maps are really no help because they don't really show you how to get where you need to be.

If the rest of the game is like this I'm just going to throw in the towel.

Let me guess...the one where you need to find the mirror and the one that you need to find something in the bookbinders...? I cant for the life of me find those 2 either,even with the circle highlighted...I am guessing now we need another tool that we only get later on in the game...like the wrench,thank god I bought that,saved my life a few times,crawling in there when getting spotted.

v0mitg0d

I bought the game yesterday on PS4, threw the disk inandn let it install completely, then noticed a patch was being downloaded. Check out the patch notes:

https://twitter.com/heymarkd/status/438874268583997440

SUPER FEATURE!

Hehe, anyways. Thought this was amusing and would share with others. Quick and dirty first impressions? Loving it so far! Playing on Master difficulty, with just about everything turned off except the glow stone.

Proc

I picked this up to have something new to play on my ps4. I'm about an hour in. Its definitely rough around the edges but I feel like the press outlets I read have been a little too harsh. So far it seems like a fun single player launch window experience. Its different enough from the majority of games coming out lately that you may want to checkout if you're like me and want something new to pop into your ps4. It strikes me as an average game but not something totally dismissable.

Philia

I was pretty excited for this game after a drought of stealth games since DE:HR and Dishonored. I played it for about 2 hours last night and the story related event and the precursor to the level after that was visually disappointing to me. :\ They looked like paper models and there was one scene of the two guys pulling the cart that stuttered reallllly bad in frames per second. It ultimately made the game feel real damn cheap to me. :( I hated that it didn't even try to explore Garett's feelings about what happened.

But whatever, I'm gonna play this game and enjoy the stealing and stealth. I just keep telling myself "I just want to steal shit" and ignore all the crappy mechanics. I'm just thankful that we didn't buy it. I'm renting it via Gamefly.

kmg90

I bought the game yesterday on PS4, threw the disk inandn let it install completely, then noticed a patch was being downloaded. Check out the patch notes:

https://twitter.com/heymarkd/status/438874268583997440

SUPER FEATURE!

Hehe, anyways. Thought this was amusing and would share with others. Quick and dirty first impressions? Loving it so far! Playing on Master difficulty, with just about everything turned off except the glow stone.

Saw that too and tweeted about it too (here is the direct cap from PS4 https://twitter.com/mrkmg90/status/438497470583037952/photo/1)

It only is going to make me check update history more now since it can be completely "useful" like CoD Ghosts or just plain placeholdery thief

ys45

Glad to see they are releasing patch for console version ....
How about they release one for the PC version for people who can't play the freaking game -_-

I never had any trouble running any games at all and this game won't even launch and I'm not the only one , i checked on Steam forum and a bunch of people are unable to launch the damn game .

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Spoiler for Chapter 3-

I got to the altar under the brothel, and I'm trying to solve the medallion in the slot puzzle. The thing is, it's so dark when I'm holding the medallion that I can't make out any of the symbols on it. Also, they are super small on screen. Is there a way to get a closer look at the symbols?

Lunaniem

Spoiler for Chapter 3-

I got to the altar under the brothel, and I'm trying to solve the medallion in the slot puzzle. The thing is, it's so dark when I'm holding the medallion that I can't make out any of the symbols on it. Also, they are super small on screen. Is there a way to get a closer look at the symbols?

You are meant to find the symbols before using it so the medallion lights up, look around on the wall and through the holes.

Double D

Started playing last night on PC. Iwas actually really enjoying the game but whenever I got spotted it was basically insta-death. All it did was tell me to press 'V' to dodge. I have no idea how to pull out my claw thing and beat someone with it. I basically just threw a bottle and shot the dude with a bunch of water arrows, lol.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm starting to really like the slide mechanic. What at first seems to be a get out of jail free "consolization" of the game is actually turning out to be a great risk-reward mechanic.

I'm playing with 'slower movement' enabled. So, if a guard is walking away from me and I'm trying to blackjack them, I basically have to walk at full speed towards them. This makes a lot of noise, and I'm usually heard walking up behind them.

With the new slide mechanic, you can actually abort the slide by taking your finger off the stick. So, if you have really good timing, you can slide up behind the guard and release the stick at the right moment and blackjack them. However, if you hold onto the stick a fraction of a second too long, you're going to bump into them and alert them.

It's also a great way to traverse safe areas faster. However, if you get too careless, you might slide right into a pool of light and expose yourself to a guard. This is really apparent in the
brothel. A few times I slid through the curtains right into a worker or a guard.

Wag

Let me guess...the one where you need to find the mirror and the one that you need to find something in the bookbinders...? I cant for the life of me find those 2 either,even with the circle highlighted...I am guessing now we need another tool that we only get later on in the game...like the wrench,thank god I bought that,saved my life a few times,crawling in there when getting spotted.

Yeah, I found the bookbinders manuscript, although I'm having trouble finding the Robot part, but I got into the house for the first part of the mirror, I still can't find the
combination for the safe

justjim89

I'm really hoping this game does well, so that we can have a new entry that's a bit less restricted. There's so many good ideas on display in the game, it's kind of a shame it's troubled development and executive meddling really hampered the finished product. Maybe if this does well enough (as long as SE isn't expecting 5 million sales in a month like they did with Hitman and Tomb Raider) we can get the Blacklist to this Thief's Conviction, so to speak.

It does sound like from initial blurbs about it that the next Hitman game aims to fix all the controversial points from Absolution.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
In the first chapter, once you jump down towards the jewellery store, is it not possible to return from where you came? I realised I missed a collectable earlier and I'd like to go back and get it.

In the first chapter, once you jump down towards the jewellery store, is it not possible to return from where you came? I realised I missed a collectable earlier and I'd like to go back and get it.

After the load transition, where you push the beam out of the way, once you drop down from the platform there's no getting back up and heading to the previous area. I had to replay that level as a result to 100% it.

Moff

no, garret even says it before jumping out the window, he cant get back

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
After the load transition, where you push the beam out of the way, once you drop down from the platform there's no getting back up and heading to the previous area. I had to replay that level as a result to 100% it.

Ah, boo. I thought there may be a hidden route somewhere that leads you back to the first area. Sigh, I suppose I should finish up and restart it.

no, garret even says it before jumping out the window, he cant get back

That's jumping out of the jewellery store. ;)

Ah, boo. I thought there may be a hidden route somewhere that leads you back to the first area. Sigh, I suppose I should finish up and restart it.

Get ready to deal with that in future chapters as well. One of my biggest complaints about the game. It's fine if you have to separate a level for loading purposes, but at least Deadly Shadows let us backtrack!

Edit: Oh, and a PSA for any completionists: even though they don't mention his existence, be sure to buy the wrench from the vendor outside the pub entrance before starting chapter 2.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm really hoping this game does well, so that we can have a new entry that's a bit less restricted. There's so many good ideas on display in the game, it's kind of a shame it's troubled development and executive meddling really hampered the finished product. Maybe if this does well enough (as long as SE isn't expecting 5 million sales in a month like they did with Hitman and Tomb Raider) we can get the Blacklist to this Thief's Conviction, so to speak.

It does sound like from initial blurbs about it that the next Hitman game aims to fix all the controversial points from Absolution.

Seeing how this game was in development for 5-6 years, they are definitely expecting a return of at least 5 million to break even.

Klocker

so bored and tired of nba 2k... going to take advantage of gamestop's $29.99 new game price with trade in deal to get this on xbone

oh well ill either hate it or it will entertain for 10-15 hours....

SJRB

Gold Member
Sweet Jesus I finally got the game. The packaging is pretty absurd, there's no manual. One leaflet for the Bank Heist and Booster Pack DLC, one leaflet in French [eh, okay?] about.. something and a seizure disclaimer leaflet. Cheapskates!

Anyway, installing Bank Heist now and then it's time to steal some shit. First legit game since November is pretty amazing in itself.

Some of the voice acting in this is really, really terrible. I think it makes the writing seem worse than it is (don't get me wrong, the writing is bad, and bogged down by dumb exposition in a way the first Thief games were not). The prostitute on the bridge in
the first Vittori mission
has one of the most mangled "cockney" accents I've ever heard, and I'm not sure why she even attempted it when just about everyone else in The City sounds American.

Also, I was prepared for the lack of "taffer", but there is plenty of other new slang ("bleater"? no one will shut the fuck up about their goddamn "sloop"), so why didn't they use it? Bizarre legal reasons?

Also, also, the way sound and overheard conversations in general work is decidedly unimpressive. When I "overhear" a conversation from a nearby building it sounds like I'm taking a phone call next to my ear. There's no sense of voices coming through walls or drifting from windows, or even getting convincingly softer as you walk away.

Dead

well not really...yet
Bank Heist took me like an hour. Definitely not a 15 minute throw away mission. And I wasn't even able to get everything. Seems I was missing equipment that you get later.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Why did they ditch Stephen Russel for Garret's voice if they were just going to hire some nob to try and do a poor impersonation of him?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Why did they ditch Stephen Russel for Garret's voice if they were just going to hire some nob to try and do a poor impersonation of him?

I heard something along the lines of "Stephen Russel was too old to do the motion capture"?

What does that even mean? Voice actors have to do acrobatics as well?

golem

While old Garret was awesome the new one isnt too bad imo. The writing sucks though, and I agree with the poster above- why the hell isnt Taffer in the game.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The incidental conversations you overhear are insultingly bad. There was one part in the brothel where you have to solve a puzzle and there is a constant sound looping in the background of a prostitute slapping a guy and the guy yelling "HARDER!".

Not only is it extremely repetitive and annoying, it's like it was written by a 12 year old for a 12 year old audience.

Did they think that anyone would find that humorous? Did they think they were being edgy? Did they think both? Who the hell wrote that?

I just can't wrap my head around who approved this shit.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I heard something along the lines of "Stephen Russel was too old to do the motion capture"?

What does that even mean? Voice actors have to do acrobatics as well?

No that was Ubisoft's excuse for Splinter Cell. Eidos had this nonsense as an excuse. Apparantly because Russel doesn't look like Garret, it made their poor animators jobs too hard.

Anung

Un Rama
This arrived earlier today. Played a good few hours of it and I'd say I'm enjoying it. The art direction and atmosphere are probably my favourite aspects of the game. The mechanics don't bother me either. Considered this is supposedly watered down I'm still getting my ass kicked. I like Garret as a character but the story around him isn't really compelling.

My main gripe is that the game is a buggy mess with the frame rate lagging during cut scenes and some serious pop in and long load times.

I'm finding the amount of collectables quite daunting as well. Still, it'll keep me busy until DS, MGS and Infamous in march.

Sorian

Banned
I'll spoil it I guess, side mission after chapter 2.
I'm tasked with getting this woman's last will and testament, and I'm in a building called leatherwood's. I've searched the place top to bottom but haven't found anything, I also opened the secret room downstairs with the painting.

Edit: figured it out:
there was a little shelf you could climb on in the basement, if you aren't lined up exactly right it won't trigger :(

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm somewhere in chapter 2, thoroughly enjoying it so far. Atmosphere is aces, gameplay/controls are tight. Not noticing the absurd framerate drops some people in here were describing. Playing on custum difficulty, master difficulty with every HUD indicator turned off except the light gem and the interact prompt. No focus mode, no loot glint. Also cranked up the prices of tools and items to make things challenging.

The prologue ending cutscene has to be a compression error or something, that thing runs at like 10 fps max. Absolute garbage. The cutscenes overall are pretty terrible. The animations are stiff and wooden [especially Garrett, remarkably enough]. I don't know, it lacks polish. Like, what the hell was even going on in that prologue cutscene? Story is one big "whatever" up to this point anyway, I don't even know anymore why I'm at this current location in the first place.

Voice acting from the side characters is pretty good, I really liked Basso and the Queen of Beggars. Erin however skyrocketed to my top 3 "most annoying character" list, she's awful on every front. Garrett's little monologues during gameplay are fine, but his banter with Erin was pretty bad. Also not really noticing terrible NPC dialogue, but the game does go out of its way to show that literally every Watch Guard is a complete asshole that deserves an arrow in the skull. It could've been a bit more nuanced, I suppose.

I love the immersive first-person animations and how you see Garrett's hands all the time, really cool. Peeking around corners and the swoop mechanic are great and the contextual jumping hasn't really bothered me so far - I could jump at pretty much every spot I wanted to jump so it's implemented pretty okay. I can also highly recommend disabling the visual aid for lockpicking and such to make things more interesting.

In the end though all that matters is stealing. There's something intensely satisfying with sneaking into a house and robbing the inhabitants completely blind while they're just walking around.

Also - realising it's not snow that is coming down at the start of chapter
, pretty insane stuff.

grimmiq

Just finished this on PS4...

WTF at the ending?
Erin "dies" at the beginning of the game and you go through all this shit to find out what happened, then learn she's alive so continue to save her..As you free her of the primal there's a flash of light, suddenly you're on a cliff (WTF? None of the other flashes damaged anything but you, but this apparently blew away half of the ship..Or teleported both of you..idk..) and you're in the exact same position as the start, with her begging for her claw to save herself, the world doesn't seem to be unraveling around you..and he chooses to use the ring on the goddamn book which could have waited 2 goddamn minutes..letting her fall AGAIN. Watching it again it seems that she may have caught it and climbed up..but I wanted a definitive ending...

Oublieux

I played a bit of the prologue last night--maybe a maximum of 30-40 minutes--so I can't make a judgment just yet. But...

Does anyone else find it funny you're hoarding all these objects? After the first few moments where I'm taking pocket watches, silver goblets and trays, coins, etc. the first thought in my mind is: "Where the fuck is Garrett putting all this shit?"

Wag

This game commits the worst sin- it's boring as all hell. I really don't think I'm going to finish it.

RedSwirl

Just finished Chapter 3. What a long, precarious, disjointed ass level. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I feel like it could have been divided into two separate missions and the whole thing would have felt better paced. A heist taking place in an opium-fueled brothel? Fun. A navigation-focused section in an ancient underground library? Fun. A secret wall in the brothel that leads to an ancient underground library? Now you’re just fucking with me.

Pacing and cohesiveness misgivings aside, this was a fun mission. Though I keep forgetting on Master difficulty, you can’t knock out civilians in any capacity. So when I’m crossing the rafters in kitchen devoted to cooking opium and Garrett makes a remark about pumping it through the air ducts to knock everyone out, I’m all for it. Then I promptly get the good ol’ “Mission Failed” screen for my efforts. Great. There was also a puzzle in the library area to get apparently an extra piece of loot and it seemed inaccessible without focus mode to highlight runes on the wall. Is it possible to get that without using focus? Oh well.

By the end of this, I was definitely beginning to run out of patience, but I wanted to get through the level. Managed to not knock anyone out, though I did finish with a rather high number of alerts, I’m not sure if it’s counting alerts I reloaded after triggering. The story seems to get a bit more absurd with every cutscene, but I’m not too put off by it. Garrett as a character is very solid and consistent with the old Garrett, who seemed to be a bit of a voyeuristic creep anyway. Voice acting is still very solid, with Garrett’s actor in particular being very good.

Three chapters down, about 11 hours into the game. Perhaps I’ll conquer the fourth tomorrow.

I just finished this mission (probably the last of my rental), and it seems to be a direct callback to a mission in Thief Gold. Very similar plot surrounding the place you infiltrate. It's supposed to give you the feeling of running into unexpected changes in the mission you may have planned for, but that's not really as effective when the game is this linear.

RedSwirl

After chapter 3 I think I've played enough to make a short-term impression of this game (Iv'e got other shit to play). It's a functional stealth game that even manages to do some pretty cool things, but from a structural standpoint, it isn't Thief.

It's a lot like the difference between the original Crysis and its sequels. The original game is an objective-based affair where the missions are working, dynamic environments that react to player choice. The new game is a string of small stealth arenas that are cleverly designed, if sort of tiny. The old game asked you to figure out out to infiltrate generally open-ended environments. The new game just asks you to reach then ext waypoint. Based on just that, most people who are actually wiling to play a stealth game should probably enjoy this, but it certainly won't satisfy those who miss the more simulation-oriented games. Dishonored definitely comes closer to accomplishing that. Does this game offer a lot that Dishonored doesn't? I don't know, I guess the lack of super powers depending on how you play. Choosing to play Dishonored without superpowers in my opinion actually makes for a better Thief game than this one.

I do like the first person body experience in new THIEF though. It's a sensible evolution of how Thief and Thief II displayed Garrett's movement onscreen. In those games Garrett's feet were already visible, and every step you took was pronounced with an audible sound and a head bob. Actually animating Garrett's hands with every action enhances that sense of feedback with every thieving action you make and doesn't really intrude on the gameplay.

Also, thematically this game is actually surprisingly faithful to The Dark Project despite rebooting the setting and removing the Hammerites, Keepers, and Pagans. Most of the same themes are there: conflict between nature and technological progress, progressives messing with ancient forces beyond their understanding, etc. Chapter 3 is pretty much a straight callback to a Thief Gold mission. Garrett in the new game is doing pretty much the same things he did in the old games.

Voice acting is quite uneven in my opinion. Characters like Garrett and Basso work, but others not so much. NPCs accents are also all over the place. A few sound like they just grabbed local Quebec voice actors, some sound British, and some seem to use Britishisms with an American accent. They don't have to stick to the old games (where everyone had an American accent with the universe's own jargon) but they should have just picked one.

Visually, I'll say again that it really shouldn't have been released on PS3 and 360. The game works, but you can tell that visually it's a PS4/Xbox One/PC game that had its textures and effects ripped away for the PS3 and 360 conversion, where usually most early next-gen games are the other way around. One of the biggest signs of this from what I can see is that the shadows have just been destroyed. Shadow edges on PS3 show off pixelation reminiscent of PS1 games. It also magnifies the general lack of color I see in every version of the game.

They don't have to stick to the old games (where everyone had an American accent with the universe's own jargon) but they should have just picked one.
Basically, yeah. It's an utter mess and takes me out of the world time and again. The constant repetition of a few lines by NPCs that won't shut up doesn't help.

Is the constant white flashing actually supposed to be happening?
Yes. Amazingly. Patch please.

Top Bottom