• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

It's odd how when using a controller the jump is on the same trigger as run, leading to an assassin's creed style free running system. But on keyboard, jump is broken out into a different button. Did they think this would placate the purists who might be more likely to be on PC? It definitely does not make up for the lack of real free movement and having to rely on contextual 'jump points' IMO.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Even if you ignore the glaring technical issues this game is like 6/10 at best even with hardcore stealth options turned on - the level design is lacking, the story and dialogue are cringeworthy and the stealth mechanics are simplistic at best.

You might be enjoying the game despite its flaws, but it's a far cry from the old games and a far cry from a 9/10 even if you ignore the old games and try to have it stand on its own merits.

Besides the horrible writing which I agree with, how is the level design lacking? They aren't massive sprawling levels like Thief 1+2, but I've found the first 3 missions to be better than Deadly Shadows (minus the cradle).

And how are the stealth mechanics simplistic at best? What does Thief 1 and 2 do better with their stealth system that this game doesn't?

I am interested in how many of you who are enjoying this game played through the original Thief games.

Another long-time appreciator of the predecessors here.

The first two games are literally my favorite games of all time. Out of the thousands and thousands of games I've played, they are my favorites. The third game still has a lot of the old Thief magic, even if it's somewhat uneven compared to the first two.

There's no comparison to the first two games, but I can't see the argument that this new Thief is worse than Deadly Shadows. If anything, they've improved on a lot of the aspects of the previous game (art direction, hub activities, etc.)

I'm just not feeling this new game. It seems to have been made by people checking boxes on the old Thief games, without really understanding what made those games special.

What made the game special varies from person to person, but I think there's still some of that magic here if you're willing to look. For me, manipulating guard activity to grab loot while being unseen and exploring to discover a level's secrets define a Thief game, and I feel the new entry delivers on that essence.

The level design is truly awful. I've played far better Thief fan made levels.

Did you play the House of the Widow Moira and The Sunken Citadel missions in DS? That game had much worse linearity and more cramped levels than what I've seen from this game so far.

There is too much loot. Shit is everywhere. There is no excitement in finding it like in the old games.

I think the two-tiered loot (collectibles and cash loot) works; the excitement is in locating the collectibles, and the cash hoovering is more for completionists (which I include myself in).

The new voice actor for Garrett isn't great. That was another box checked - "We need to have kinda the same sounding guy. Gravelly." There's no nuance in his performance at all.

I wish they brought back Stephen Russell too, but I don't think his replacement did a bad job with his dialog (even though I can't get over how vaguely French Canadian he sounds).

The mechanics of the game are overwrought and don't work particularly well. I could write an entire essay on why it's simply not that much fun to play.

The contextual lean is a big annoyance, but I haven't run into any issues with the other controls, and actually even like the addition of the swoop. Moving just feels better than in the past games.

What happened to the universe and aesthetic of the old games? It feels like I am playing a very, very poor ripoff. Would it have killed the developers to put in some referential jokes, preferably using the word "Taffer"? The Builders? The game and the universe are just lifeless. Nothing about this has any personality whatsoever.

No argument here, the lack of narrative continuity is a big disappointment. But that doesn't have to negate one's appreciation of the atmosphere and the vignettes independent of the overarching story.

Anyway, I'm glad some of you are enjoying it. I hope it sells well enough that we get a sequel, preferably made by a developer with some talent. Personally, I am going to erase it and forget it existed.

Maybe like a dead wife, one needs to grieve for one's expectations in such a way. But I think you're doing yourself a disservice by writing off what is actually a fun stealth game because of what it happens to be titled and the associations it brings.

I keep seeing complaints about this game's level design, but I don't quite understand them. The levels seem to provide you with numerous paths to take and methods of taking out (or sneaking past) guards. The guard and item placement seems to be good, too. I've even been rewarded by exploring areas that were off to themselves either with more things to steal, new paths to take, or both. What exactly is wrong with the level design to those of you who think it's so bad?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Anyone having a weird issue on XBO where Garrett just starts moving super fast (like you're hitting "A" to do the roll move) when you're just walking around? It's happened multiple times for me and even made me fail a mission because I was sneaking slowly and all of the sudden he rolled forward into the light.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Anyone having a weird issue on XBO where Garrett just starts moving super fast (like you're hitting "A" to do the roll move) when you're just walking around? It's happened multiple times for me and even made me fail a mission because I was sneaking slowly and all of the sudden he rolled forward into the light.

Is your Kinect plugged? The game has motion controls. (Lean foward for a dash.)

Social

I keep hearing dialogue coming from certain directions just to find out there is no one around... It happens quite a lot. It's strange

Going to start the game with a custom run with the default on Master. Doing a full stealth run with no kills, damage or focus. Left most everything else off. Should hopefully be a fun but not too stressful play through.

nynt9

I keep hearing dialogue coming from certain directions just to find out there is no one around... It happens quite a lot. It's strange

It's a known bug with the game's sound system. Hopefully it will be fixed in a patch soon (how it made to release, I have no idea..).

Ricker

Love some of the sidequests so far although for the life of me I cant find Antonio's shop from one of them...even with the circle being highlighted and showing me where to go lol...I am keeping focus on for these moments,even on you dont have to use it...it just highlits those grappling plates on walls I think...

Also running a lot smoother now it seems on the PS4...I guess playing while the game was installing yesterday was causing some choppiness...also some indoors area look really good,the lighting is definetly better then on the PS3 I guess....looks more like 1080p now.

For the sound,dont forget sometimes you are indoors and the guards are doing their patrol outside and pass really close to a window but yeah,it's very loud sometimes from guards far away...or even those hobos sitting down all over,yesterday I hadn't even seen one where I was crouched waiting for a patrol to go by and he started a whiny scream that scared the crap out of me lol...

Stranya

Is there an option to change the PS4 touchpad stuff to a radial menu, like in the other versions?

Trying to decide what platform I'm getting this on.

Edit: Anybody?
I'd really like to know this too - can anyone confirm, please?

@Ricker and kmg90, thanks both.

Ricker

I'd really like to know this too - can anyone confirm, please?

I will check in about an hour...I dont think you can..there is always the quick change by hitting the left or right trigger but that's for arrows I think...also now that I have more stuff in there it seems easier to slide over them or I am just getting use to it...

With all those sidequests that I can't decline now(my way of playing)I think I may have to buy this game now because it's going to be a long one I think...

I can't recall what the side quest was called but you had a safe in the room and traps in front of it. The traps showed a red line going into a door that you cannot open. I couldn't for the life of me figure this one out. Anyone know? Also hows the performance and load times on xbox 360 and PS3 versions?

kmg90

To answer the concerns of being able to opt-out of the touchpad inventory (which I have no problem with and think it's better than the alternative)

Yes

BhaWvwmCUAA5CbC.jpg:large

Also just bumped into this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfV6Bx_QJZ8

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For any (other) AU/NZ users floating about, Squeenix finally unlocked the game. You may need to restart Steam for the pre-load button to go away.

I'd hate to be THAT guy but I have this arriving today and was considering returning it. Is it worth hanging onto? Stealth is one of my favorite genres and I'm looking for something that will give a fair bit of immersion and some fun challenge. I've read so many mixed things about Thief that I have no idea which end is up. I should also mention that I was able to pre-order it for 40 dollars.

?

I'd hate to be THAT guy but I have this arriving today and was considering returning it. Is it worth hanging onto? Stealth is one of my favorite genres and I'm looking for something that will give a fair bit of immersion and some fun challenge. I've read so many mixed things about Thief that I have no idea which end is up. I should also mention that I was able to pre-order it for 40 dollars.

?

Play it on the highest difficulty level (and perhaps consider turning off focus/the waypoint markers) and it's a surprisingly good game! Hang onto it for sure, especially since you love the stealth genre. I'm a big stealth fan, too, and this game feels like a strange mixture of Dishonored, Splinter Cell (Chaos Theory & before), and of course the old Thief games.

Deadbeat

Banned

?
Return it now. It's gonna tank in price for sure.

Zukuu

Banned
So before starting the game, what should I disable?

"No Focus" makes the game very linear to me in the gameplay department (even more than it actually is), and I'm a sucker for RPG elements. I love leveling and upgrading stuff etc. What is focused used for anyway? Just see loot and the dash?

What are the arrows I miss when I play with "special arrows only"?

Two more HUD options I would like:

1. Turn off the blue highlight on grates and ladders without also turning off the highlight when you reticle over an object (which is subtle and needed).

2. Turn off vignettes.

Can't believe the latter option doesn't exist given everything else they put in there.

Play it on the highest difficulty level (and perhaps consider turning off focus/the waypoint markers) and it's a surprisingly good game! Hang onto it for sure, especially since you love the stealth genre. I'm a big stealth fan, too, and this game feels like a strange mixture of Dishonored, Splinter Cell (Chaos Theory & before), and of course the old Thief games.

Thanks for the heads up.

Return it now. It's gonna tank in price for sure.

Hmmmm. I can't see it dropping below the 30 dollar range any time soon at all. I think that 10 dollar premium might be worthwhile to have it in the meantime based on some of the positive stuff I've been seeing here.

Still isn't in my hands but I'm leaning to hanging onto it.

Focus is a resource that gives you faster reaction times, allows you to knock out alert guards, shows you pieces to puzzles you're trying to solve and makes the game easier in general.

However, the game is not designed around focus so you don't actually need it to play effectively.

What you turn off depends on what kind of experience you want..

I have focus turned off,no minimap, no waypoint markers, no objective markers, no targeting reticle, slower movement speed, no food or poppies, expensive resources, specialty arrows only (no killing arrows), no upgrades, no kills or knockouts and no alerts enabled. Playing on "Master" difficulty as well.

I do have loot glint enabled and interactive button prompts so that I know when I can interact with something and I didn't set "chapter save only" because I don't want to play entire missions over from the beginning if a fail and have to skip all of the cutscenes again.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Two more HUD options I would like:

1. Turn off the blue highlight on grates and ladders without also turning off the highlight when you reticle over an object (which is subtle and needed).

If you turn off the highlight and leave interactive buttons prompts on you basically have this.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It does boggle my mind that they don't have an option to turn off that horrible white flash vignette every time you enter a light. How could they overlook that when giving so many amazing customization options.

Also, has anyone else noticed that some of the guards have female voices but have male models?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Damn I love this game.

Imagine how much more amazing it would be if they got even a semi-competent writer.

How were they able to nail so much of the atmosphere of the previous games and allow such absolute shit writing to mar the experience. It's so blatantly bad.

Taker34

Banned
Received my copy of Thief today. Bought it despite those bad impressions from reviewers and fellow gaffers. After playing a couple of hours I'm really impressed. This game is absolutely great so far, I don't mind the "bad" AI. I never cared about the enemy AI in MGS or Splinter Cell so Thief isn't worse.
I'm currently playing it on the hardest difficulty with several options turned off. So glad I bought it, since I've expected something mediocre which Thief definitely isn't, imo.
The atmosphere is also pretty impressive. Kinda Oblivion/Legacy of Kain-like. So the wait until march is bearable now.

True story.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Received my copy of Thief today. Bought it despite those bad impressions from reviewers and fellow gaffers. After playing a couple of hours I'm really impressed. This game is absolutely great so far, I don't mind the "bad" AI. I never cared about the enemy AI in MGS or Splinter Cell so Thief isn't worse.
I'm currently playing it on the hardest difficulty with several options turned off. So glad I bought it, since I've expected something mediocre which Thief definitely isn't, imo.
The atmosphere is also pretty impressive. Kinda Oblivion/Legacy of Kain-like. So the wait until march is bearable now.

True story.

There is really nothing at all wrong with the AI. It's exactly like the previous games... if anything, it's slightly improved.

Maybe something is wrong with the AI if you don't play on master?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
There is really nothing at all wrong with the AI. It's exactly like the previous games... if anything, it's slightly improved.

The AI bugs out *constantly*. I only played for about an hour and saw guards get stuck in the environment, fall through the ground, stand in the middle of nowhere with their arms stretched out like they were waiting for the rapture and completely ignore me walking right in front of them.

It's real bad.

The AI bugs out *constantly*. I only played for about an hour and saw guards get stuck in the environment, fall through the ground, stand in the middle of nowhere with their arms stretched out like they were waiting for the rapture and completely ignore me walking right in front of them.

It's real bad.

Not sure if it matters, but what platform are you playing on? I'm on PC and haven't seen anything like that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone else miss the video interludes?

How about the sound design? It's fine, but man, it completely lacks the character the original games had. The ambient sound in the previous games was simply unmatched and this new game falls far from it.

The new take on Deus Ex was the opposite in that regard as well with an amazing soundscape that completely drew me in.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

It's real bad.

Good god lol

Taker34

Banned

Exactly. I mean I noticed how guards had problems following me once they spot me but that's when I reload the last savegame. There are a much worse examples than Thief. I wouldn't notice it without GAF or some streams, tbh.

Edit: Oh and it's my first Thief game. Maybe that's another important aspect you have to consider when reviewing Thief?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

It's real bad.

I've put in about 8 hours so far, and I've never seen any of that. This is on PC.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Anyone else miss the video interludes?

How about the sound design? It's fine, but man, it completely lacks the character the original games had. The ambient sound in the previous games was simply unmatched and this new game falls far from it.

The new take on Deus Ex was the opposite in that regard as well with an amazing soundscape that completely drew me in.

Yes, the sound design fluctuates between amazing and awful.

My biggest complaint is that some guards' conversations are emitted in 3D space, while others seems to be playing at max volume no matter how far away you are.

I do love hearing the muted conversations from inside houses as you sneak across the rooftops. And there are tons of little ambient noises that really add to the atmosphere.

Carm

So I start up the game this morning to see if the Steam Overlay is working now, and instead of starting. the game just gives me a black screen. So I had to restart the computer, couldn't even get back to desktop. After that it was fine, and I finally figured out why the Overlay hasn't been working. I have Fraps, nonrecording, always running, apparently in this game, and this game alone in my collection, having Fraps turned on prevents the Steam Overlay from running. So, I'm confused as to why only this game, does that happen.

JaseC

I do love hearing the muted conversations from inside houses as you sneak across the rooftops. And there are tons of little ambient noises that really add to the atmosphere.

I find the ambient in-home conversations rather jarring considering how closed-off the world is. Such an approach was understandable in 1998 but that was 16 years ago -- what the game alludes to it should offer. For a modern Thief game your avenues for thievery are depressingly limited.

forrest

formerly nacire
I bought a Thief code from someone that got it with an ATI gfx card purchase and it was supposed to come with the bank heist dlc. I can't find any way to access the extra mission. Did my copy not come with it or am I just missing something. Also in steam it says I have no dlc associated with the game and if I look at available dlc I just see one challenge map and three booster packs.

I've put in about 8 hours so far, and I've never seen any of that. This is on PC.

I had one guard just stop in the middle of the street and start spinning in place incredibly fast. He never stopped either, just continued spinning in place. It's the only really bugged example of AI i've personally encounter thus far though.

JaseC

I bought a Thief code from someone that got it with an ATI gfx card purchase and it was supposed to come with the bank heist dlc. I can't find any way to access the extra mission. Did my copy not come with it or am I just missing something. Also in steam it says I have no dlc associated with the game and if I look at available dlc I just see one challenge map and three booster packs.

The AMD keys aren't pre-order keys, just regular keys.

forrest

formerly nacire
The AMD keys aren't pre-order keys, just regular keys.

Bummer, thought I was getting it when I bought it. Oh well. Any chance they will release this mission separately in the future? Also has anyone played it and is it any good?

Top Bottom